Thread: How do you decide what wear or dress?

How do you decide what wear or dress?

1. Do you always try to pass. 2. Do you try to get other peoples input or copy them. 3. do you follow fashon trends. 4. Do you follow your instincts to satisfy your fem side just do what you feel regardless of trends or fads. Myself I don't always worry about passing. Some times I'm just a guy with boobs in casual girls clothes. Although I Mostly try to blend in not over the top dressing, over the years Iv'e learned to follow my mood and relaxed and comfortable in and with my fem side I don't flaunt it (not a hottie). Be happy and feel normal that way. Life is much easier en-fem then my male side. Just happy go lucky every day working girl.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    1. Do you always try to pass. I do if I am going out.
    2. Do you try to get other peoples input or copy them. Only my wife's.
    3. Do you follow fashion trends. A little but not obsessively.
    4. Do you follow your instincts to satisfy your fem side just do what you feel regardless of trends or fads. Somewhat. See answer #1. If I'm going out then yes I do to try to blend in and not just do whatever I feel like at the time ... but I can do both, do what I feel like and try to blend in as well.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Gold Member
    Try to pass might be the right phrasing. Or I tend to say that I try to just dress appropriate for where I am going. Then you tend to not stick out and that is all you need sometimes.

Your second and third question blend together somewhat for me. I don't have time to follow all of the fashion trends and some of them are distinct enough that they come and go rather quickly. As a CDer, I can't afford clothing that is here today and gone in a season. But to make up for my lack of time to follow fashions, I tend to watch the ladies around me and learn from what they are doing. I do tend to have a lot of outfits can stand the test to time. But I also have some things that I know will hit the trash eventually because no one is wearing them anymore. It is good to spoil yourself sometimes.

I am like Rachel I guess. I try to combine the blending and satisfying myself. Within where I am going, I will wear something that I really want to that fits the mold of the time and place. Normally I am not driven to a particular type of outfit, so I can look at the options and then one of them will jump out to me.

I don't think about trend at all! I wear what is comfortable and for the ocasaion! I got nobody to impress 'cept myself!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

seductively seductive Cassandra86's Avatar
    If im going out yes i always try to pass and not just pass i want to get attention and be the hottest girl in the room. As far as input yes my wife gives me input and does my hair and makeup for me. But no input from her when it comes to fashion cus i have a better fashion sence then she does half the time she has to ask me for input for her lol Im very big on fashion but i always wear what makes me feel sexy and hot. I have really toned sexy legs and a nice butt. So i show it off by wearing tight jeans, mini dresses or mini skirts.
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genuine and its better to be absolutely ridiculous then absolutely boring...Marilyn Monroe

I like to try to copy eyemakeup looks from pictures and ads, but fashion... size 14 will never look like size 6, so its not an option to try and look like a model- but i can pick nice clothes and styles that better fit my shape.

Lately- a lot of sleeveless stuff because of the heat.

1. Do you always try to pass.

I do if I'm going out. If I'm by myself I'm comfortable.

2. Do you try to get other peoples input or copy them.

I sometimes copy looks I've seen if they work with my body shape. My wife's advice is very important to me.

3. Do you follow fashion trends.

Occasionally, but not obsessively.

4. Do you follow your instincts to satisfy your fem side just do what you feel regardless of trends or fads.

Part of satisfying my fem side is enjoying some of the same things that GGs do, and sometimes they follow trends!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Hi,

Most days i have ether a black skirt on or my jean blue skirt socks sneakers tops or jumpers with a under shirt on & my wool'e hat or head wear suitable for the day.as to make up only if im going walk about to the shops just lippy.

!, As to being part of whats going on around me well im to well known to bother about that,

2, Jos will soon tell me if im not dressed right other wise no i dress for what i think is right for myself,

3, Fashon, Oh yea like my Renaissance garb or the other group of 70 years ago. no just what suits me.

4, i just wear clothes like some other women though no pants or slacks or longs.

Does not mean i dont get dressed up for our do's & get togethers, or the womens groups im a member of,
    Just most of the time im just in my comfortable day to day wear,they are tidy & wearable for most days .

...noeleena...

Hi Wilt,

If I am planning to go out then I will dress to try and pass. When I get enough time to myself... needs to be a few hours (!), I will 'transform' into the Kaz you see in my pics and try to look as female as I can manage. I don't get other people's input other than by observation and noticing what people are wearing and what is available. I don't obsessively follow fashion but am aware of what is going on. Generally I buy clothes that will hopefully last more than a season as I am on a tight budget - so I try to buy things that will mix and match... I guess I aim for what works for my shape more than anything. I do follow my instincts regarding Kaz time, but I did get into leggings and UGG boots for a period, because that was what everyone else was wearing, but this was a period when I was going out quite a bit and I wanted to blend... so I wore what everyone else was wearing. That was a very satisfying period oddly enough. I felt very relaxed and at ease with myself.

Generally, at home, I will wear whatever feels right that day... if in male jeans and tops I will mostly underdress... like to wear skirts when working at my computer... whatever really!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

I always try to look my best when I go out...around the house I don't usually bother with makeup as it's just me and my wife.

I always accept constructive criticism from my wife and my closest friends in my Tri-Ess group. Sometimes I will emulate someone if they seem to dress in what I would consider my style...or what I'm comfortable in and love to wear.

I watch fashion trends but temper that with the knowledge of who I am, how old I am (or appear to be), and what works with my body style.

As for satisfying my femme side...I do that every day. I'm not stuck in a fashion rut and I don't follow the pack. See my third answer.

At the end of the day I'm just me. I just saw a quote the other day....
    "Women dress for themselves and for each other...if women dressed for men they'd walk around naked all the time".
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

For me it is very simple, I am never seen by anyone else, except for the rare occasion, maybe my wife. So I just look thru the closet and see what I would like to wear the most. No fear of ever passing for me. I am destine to a life in the confines of my house.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    1. Do you always try to pass. I do if I am going out.
    2. Do you try to get other peoples input or copy them. Only my wife's.
    3. Do you follow fashion trends. A little but not obsessively.
    4. Do you follow your instincts to satisfy your fem side just do what you feel regardless of trends or fads. Somewhat. See answer #1. If I'm going out then yes I do to try to blend in and not just do whatever I feel like at the time ... but I can do both, do what I feel like and try to blend in as well.
    Rachel were you in my head when you answered this question
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post

I do if I'm going out. If I'm by myself I'm comfortable.

I sometimes copy looks I've seen if they work with my body shape. My wife's advice is very important to me.

3. Do you follow fashion trends.

Occasionally, but not obsessively.

4. Do you follow your instincts to satisfy your fem side just do what you feel regardless of trends or fads.

Part of satisfying my fem side is enjoying some of the same things that GGs do, and sometimes they follow trends!
    Yep me too
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    I always try to look my best when I go out...around the house I don't usually bother with makeup as it's just me and my wife.

I always accept constructive criticism from my wife and my closest friends in my Tri-Ess group. Sometimes I will emulate someone if they seem to dress in what I would consider my style...or what I'm comfortable in and love to wear.

I watch fashion trends but temper that with the knowledge of who I am, how old I am (or appear to be), and what works with my body style.

As for satisfying my femme side...I do that every day. I'm not stuck in a fashion rut and I don't follow the pack. See my third answer.

At the end of the day I'm just me. I just saw a quote the other day....
    "Women dress for themselves and for each other...if women dressed for men they'd walk around naked all the time".
    Cheryl love you response especially "Women dress for themselves and for each other...if women dressed for men they'd walk around naked all the time".

1. Yes.
    2. No.
    3. Somewhat.
    4. Mostly. I dress to how I feel and that would usually include blending or dressing for the occasion. If I will be climbing laddders at the opera, I don't wear 6" heels and micro skirts.

If I'm going out as Nikki I dress to pass. Make up, wig the whole nine yards.
    As far as following trends, I do not follow them but I do look at what works for me and what I'm comfortable with. Since I'm no stunner, and can barely pass I do dress more to blend in rather than stand out. However I do try to be one of the nicer dressed rather than one of the worst dressed. Is there anyone here who doesn't ask for opinions, the lady where I buy most of my clothing is a trusted confidant, not that we always agree but at least she'll tell me if something doesn't look good. Maybe I'm too critical of myself, but whenever I ask GG friends how I look they always say I look great. no critisism, maybe their too polite or I'm not so bad.

House dresser, no need to pass, wear what suits the mood on any given day. That can go from full out dress up, to casual pair of Capri's and tee shirt, with out make up or wig.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    1- Passing for me is to have people wonder why that tall homely woman looks so much like a man before I get around the corner and they figure it out. I try to wear clothes that don't attract attention by themselves and show respect for the women who may be around.
    2- I do occasionally ask my wife for her opinion and try not to cry when she tells me the truth. Actually, she can be complimentary as well, don't get me wrong there. By the time I'm out with others I've usually cleared most of the concerns and only listen to those who tell me how cute my outfit is. If they say anything else, they have to talk to the hand. Except when they tell me my skirt is tucked into my underwear in the back, I will listen to that.
    3- Fashion? What's this fashion thing you mention? I'm over 60, so I'm going to take a pass on that and just try to wear things I can find at thrift stores and in major big box stores. Those are the clothes that are not so fashion forward that it makes me out of place, but puts me in the middle of the pack where I just may blend, a little, maybe.
    4- I do my best to make my inner girlfriend happy at home and cater to those impulses that would be inappropriate on the street.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Silver Member
    Whenever I go out dressed I try to pass/blend. I wear what GG's my age are likely to wear so as far as following trends I would follow ones aimed at that age group. I have my own style in terms of colors and types of clothes. As far as other's advice. I have used an image consultant in the past which was very helpful in developing my own style. I learned how to dress for my body style aand how to accessorize. i think instincts are a driving forc for how i dress any given day. Do I want to wear a dress or pants...

Silver Member
    Depending on the event and season, I try to dress age appropriate (or a little younger), don't follow most trends/fads, but stay with the classic outfits as I always like to be comfortable, confident in whatever I wear to enjoy my feminine side - where ever I may be!

Passing? No. I try to be presentable when going out. I dress for the venue as other gg's would be dressed. I follow my instincts on dressing. I know that any casual affair that jeans are never wrong. For a more dressy occasion, when in doubt, wear black pants. they are never wrong.

Following these philosophies, I have never had a problem. When out, I put just enough doubt in the observer's mind--is that a man or a woman?

Jodi

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If in full girl mode yes I try to pass.
    Fashion? Try to look nice and blend in.Dress for the occasion.
    Try to emulate any one? Hell no why would you want to?

No way--mustache.
    I try to be age-appropriate. Mostly shop resale, almost always ask the SA's opinion--that's half the fun!
    3. do you follow fashon trends.
    Some, But mostly fashions are for younger women.
    Not faddish--classic works best & hides my figure deficiencies.

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!