Thread: Will Johanna be herself? New job - new city - new country

Will Johanna be herself? New job - new city - new country

Hiya girls...

So, by the looks of things I might be offered a new job in a few hours, it involves moving to another country an' all that jazz. I'm used to that, having lived and worked in 9 countries so far.

Thing is, them muppets do no yet know about Johanna, so - how shall I play this? Is it just like rockin' up at the office as Johanna, my true self, or would it be a better idea to just break'em in gradually as I did last time? It will all happen sooner or later anyway and if they are not happy fluffy bunnies about it I'll just get another job, probably in some other country.

Preparations has been made for Johanna, got all the shopping done, new hair and nails... Workplace should be tolerant I think, as I am an IT contractor and I have found that in IT you see all sorts of people.

Ah, yeah - if you did not yet know, I'm not only a CD but also TG in the early makings, eight months in on hormones now.

Hugs
    /Johanna -
    Last edited by Sandra; 07-20-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: language contained in link is unacceptable for this forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Depending on the work 'contract' I'd keep it on the down low for while until you know all of the laws and personnel policies. I've been in too many jobs that were 'at-will no cause' that allow the management to dismiss you for anything and nothing at all.

Congrats on the new job and welcome back to the workforce....

Renne.....

Quote Originally Posted by RenneB View Post
    Depending on the work 'contract' I'd keep it on the down low for while until you know all of the laws and personnel policies. I've been in too many jobs that were 'at-will no cause' that allow the management to dismiss you for anything and nothing at all.

Congrats on the new job and welcome back to the workforce....

Renne.....
    Thanks... it has been good to be out of work for a while, a much needed break and I had lots of fun, another lap around this planet.

It seems odd to have to let someone go for the reasons of being a crossdresser or transgender person - or so it seems to me. Most workplaces should be proud that they have a crossie that is willing to put in the hours just for them. I don't think I could be in a place where they would not be happy with me being Johanna, after all - this girl still have a passion about Italian supercars and cigars, so there is always some "manly" things to talk about during the coffee break.

/Johanna
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by johanna.kitten View Post

Thing is, them muppets do no yet know about Johanna, so - how shall I play this? Is it just like rockin' up at the office as Johanna, my true self, or would it be a better idea to just break'em in gradually as I did last time?
    /Johanna - http://wannabegirl.co.uk
    Why take a step backwards?

I think you should ask Johanna if she is ready to be herself! Talk it over with her and weaigh the pros and cons! Good luck girl because you are worth it! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If you are transitioning just say so.If they are fine with it start work as Johanna.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda-E View Post
    Why take a step backwards?
    Yeah, good point there! I'm pretty sure it will be Johanna that shows up for work. I won't overdo it, little reason to put on skirt and heels. The one reason that I have to take into consideration is that if they won't have a Johanna in the office - I would have moved to another country for nothing. If it all goes tits up, I'm still under offer from a company in Gibraltar/Spain so I could always go there. Never lived in Spain before, that could be cool.

/Johanna
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johanna.kitten View Post
    Most workplaces should be proud that they have a crossie that is willing to put in the hours just for them.

Companies want to hire me, and willingly break their own rules for me, because of what I do for them, not because I am trans. My work defies enough categories that people familiar with my work would probably be only briefly surprised to find out I defy categories. Other, that is, to the extent that it transforms perceptions of me from the rare to the legendary.

The sort of organization that would be proud that a trans person "is willing to put in the hours just for them" is the sort of bureaucratic quota-bound organization I would not care to work for.

Platinum Member
    It seems to me that you should break the news to them up front - maybe even before you arrive and find out what kind of policies they have - if any. If it turns out that this company is TS friendly, great! If not, move to Spain, friends of mine lived there some years ago and loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    It seems to me that you should break the news to them up front - maybe even before you arrive and find out what kind of policies they have - if any. If it turns out that this company is TS friendly, great! If not, move to Spain, friends of mine lived there some years ago and loved it.
    They will find out Monday morning when Johanna rocks up at the office, will be interesting to see their reactions. I'll be modest, white linnen trousers, white tights, white flats with pink flowers, white blouse, white cardigan to put over my shoulders if need be. A girly Cartier gold watch, necklace and gold studs, women's specs or perhaps my new contacts. Almost invisible pink nail polish...

So, if they are not happy, too bad. Hormones have now resulted in some minor upper growth and is not clearly visible. This job I can miss if I have to, as I'm more interested in the one in Gibraltar - but the HR process is another month, which should be OK if this one does not work out.

Hugs
    /Johanna
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Platinum Member
    Best of luck, Johanna!

Silver Member
    If they hired you as a man, go to work as a man. If you must transition do it down the road (get your foot in the door and prove your worth to them) and go through the HR department and such the right way (the TSs here who have transitioned can tell you the right way to do it, and the wrong things to do as well as well.) Just the idea of going in on the first day and imposing your desires on them will rub them the wrong way. If they don't like the way you are dressed and feel you fooled them they can fire you and very easily find a gender-conforming male or female to fill the position; we are in a serious global depression and there is no shortage of folks looking for work. I don't say this to be mean, but that is the new reality of today's economy, and there is nothing we can do about it.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    All things considered, i really would show up as the person who interviewed and made personal contacts with them to get the job. I would immediately get to HR and let them know you are transitioning,. You have options, but why burn a bridge. If your work is good enough for them to hire you, they will work with you, but an out of the blue jolt might get tome higher ups upset, who in turn will make life miserable for the lower people who recommended you, who will in turn make it difficult for you, when if it were handled through channels, there might be no problem at all.

If HR says there might be a problem, you can bail without upsetting them.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Well, I'm not going to mention transitioning to them until I've checked what the company policies are, but then again only doing so might get them having second thoughts. Tricky one indeed. However I will be Johanna when it comes to dress code, and there are two reasons for this, it is who I am and secondly I don't have much men's clothes no more, nearly none at all - much of what I got does not stand out so chances are that it will go unnoticed anyway. I don't always look like in my profile picture at work.

Hugs
    /Johanna
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]