Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you still dress-up if... ?

Would you still dress-up if... ?

Hi everyone! I am pretty much brand new to the site and so far I have enjoyed reading through many of your posts and threads. I am amazed and inspired by the diversity of stories and people on here! This is my first attempt at starting a thread so I'm sorry if something along these lines has been posted in the recent past! Not trying to spam the idea or anything!

So, to the point: It is no secret that male-to-female crossdressing is somewhat of a social taboo (slight understatement, perhaps?) and that there is a lot of anxiety associated with the various aspects of it. Especially when it comes to wondering about how others will treat us, accept us, or not... particularly family, friends, and SO's. Of course, many people dress for many different reasons, whether it be purely for entertainment, excitement, identity purposes, etc. Personally, though, for me part of the excitement that comes from Crossdressing is the idea of breaking a very ingrained social/cultural norm... sort of thumbing my nose at several generations worth of gender construction and being able to escape the "boxes" the genders have been caged in. I'm sure many of us have gone shopping in the women's section of department stores alone and felt a bit of an adrenaline rush? Just me? Well, if you do know the feeling, thats what I'm talking about.

I don't want to belabor the point, so my question is this: If crossdressing was completely unstigmatized, and men could buy and wear dresses, make-up, the whole nine-yards without anyone even raising an eyebrow, would you still get the same thrill? Or do you think that at least some of the fun from subverting gender norms would dissipate?

Hell yea ,,, Then you could just find way better things to do an wear an realy pus it to new places . Maybe find something else to do that is as Taboo as this ,,, Always trying to be difficult I know !
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

yeah but would probably have to add something like robbing banks to compensate....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

It's about as hypothetical of a questions as can be. But if that ever happened, I do think that it would loose some if not all the allure that attracts us to crossdress. Not everyone, but many would participate far less and some might even give it up all together. Of course some may never again present as males and choose to wear feminine clothing 24/7 and present as females. The new social norm would net as many different feelings and actions as there is in this wide range of what we call crossdressers now. Over-all, we would gain something and lose something in the ay we feel about it.

Amber, for a lot of us, there's no thrill involved. We just feel normal when dressed in female clothing, and uncomfortable when dressed as males. So the answer is sure, I would continue to dress in whatever way makes me comfortable.
    I guess what I'm trying to get across is that there's no sexual link to my crossdressing.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

i think i would mix both genders into some sort of feminine male on a casual day and go full femme on those special days or holiday parties.

Yes, since I don't do it for the thrill or because it is sexually stimulating. In fact I would dress more especially at work where I have to present more male so I can make money
    Last edited by Lorileah; 07-25-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I'd dress because I feel very comfortable when I present as female. For thrills I'd offer to be Karren's getaway driver.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    I'd dress because I feel very comfortable when I present as female. For thrills I'd offer to be Karren's getaway driver.
    Im ready!! Bonnie and Claudette.....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I think I would be a casual most of the time and a little gender bending. I'm pushing the gender limits now as much as I can.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" Anais Nin.

Live, Laugh, and Love Yourself!

I would dress female 24/7 365 days a year except when doing dirty physical work.
    My male wardrobe would be purged 95% and then things would start getting expensive!!!

I do not "dress" for the thrill of it. If there were no "stigma" attached to Cding I would present as a woman nearly all of the time as that is the look that I prefer.
    Hugs, Carole

I agree - no stigma and I would dress whenever or where ever the mood struck

As a first attempt at starting a thread Ithink you come up with a cracker...

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Amber, for a lot of us, there's no thrill involved. We just feel normal when dressed in female clothing, and uncomfortable when dressed as males. So the answer is sure, I would continue to dress in whatever way makes me comfortable.
    I guess what I'm trying to get across is that there's no sexual link to my crossdressing.
    I think this for me suumarises my feelings with the exception that how I dressed would have to be appropriate for my activities at the time

Walking dogs up the Cumbrian Fells dressed in stockings and sussies may not be quite right

Thanks for replying ladies! Totally a major hypothetical! I hope my question hasn't offended anyone in some way or anything, I'm definitely not trying to over-generalize and lump all CD's into the category of those that get purely some sort of "thrill" from it. Of course, if a person identifies as and prefers to present as female, then she will prefer to present that way regardless of whether society really accepts it or not, as she should! I'm writing from the perspective of a part-time Crossdresser, and so the question may have been set up geared more towards those on this end of the spectrum!

To answer my own question though, I would probably still do it, I'd just have to some way to still be subversive (can't condone bank robbery though Karren!), maybe thats just part of my personality?
    Last edited by Ambergold43; 07-25-2012 at 01:08 PM.

One big advantage if it was not taboo would be that we would have a hell of a lot more to chose from. A whole range of heels designed in our size and more fashion, dresses designed just for us as male. You think you spend a lot now on clothes, it would be off the charts for me at least if I had more to chose from. What a nice thought.

I don't dress for a thrill, I mainly do it to relieve stress and because it gives me a feeling of being right. If all the stigma was gone it would make things even better because I wouldn't have to hide things any more.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Thanks, Lexi, you saved me the trouble of writing my own post on this one.

Annabelle

Platinum Member
    I like Sometimes_miss's response. It also brings to mind an old Eagles song "After the Thrill is Gone"

Aspiring Member
    My answer for me:

If crossdressing was accepted by the general populous, then that would mean that society no longer viewed it as "degrading" for a man to wear womens clothing. It would still be taboo, because a great majority of men have no desire whatsoever to present themselves in a feminine fashion.

Societys' acceptance of crossdressing would just remove the negativity from the experience. The emotional gratification would still be the same....as in you are out and accepted without shame, as a Man who embraces feminine fashion and has a personal gender identity that is feminine in form. The Emotional and Psychological Fulfillment that crossdressing brings us would still be there, it would just be rid of the negativity that goes on among societies view of us as Transvestites/Crossdressers.

So, the real question that intrigues me is this: If you were accepted by society would you still keep your male presentation separate from your female presentation?

For me "gender" would just all blend together into androgyny, which is me everyday, even with all the negativity directed towards my community.

Great Topic,
    -Donni-

Without a doubt. But that is always going to be a pipe dream for most of us.

Platinum Member
    Yup. Ok, for the record, my answer is "Yup". But I needed at least 20 characters to post a response.

Banned Read only
    the taboo would be gone so that going out was much less stressful, but the desire would still be there for me. I don't dress for the taboo thrill.

Aspiring Member
    Yes I would continue to dress if all of the taboo's would be gone. I enjoy dressing as a woman even though the only time I go out completely dress as a woman is out for a drive or if I have something I need to mail I will make it a point to walk in a post office after hours to mail something. As far as shopping at a woman's store I am usually under-dressed as a woman with some light makeup on and I will let the sales associate know the items I am purchasing are for myself.

If the moon turns green, the clouds turn purple and the air turns pink( and for many here it does regularly), I will continue to express my feminine side. I am trangender. I know and accept it. I express my feminine side for me, no one else. I already buy and wear dresses, make-up, the whole nine yards regularly. Does anyone raise an eyebrow? I don't really know, I've never asked anyone. Should I?