Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on crossdressing, malls, and Dillard's Mac...

Question on crossdressing, malls, and Dillard's Mac...

I was wanting to have a makeup application done at a store like Dillards (The Mac desk). I would rather already be crossdressed while having the makeup applied than have to travel elsewhere to put on clothes with makeup already on.

I asked the lady at Dillard's Mac last night, and she said that she did not know if you were allowed to come in crossdressed while having makeup applied and that I would have to ask her manager the next day.

Do stores such as Dillard's allow you to come in while crossdressed or have makeup applied while crossdressed? Do stores such as Sephora allow this? Do malls in general allow people to walk the halls while crossdressed, or does security have a problem with this?

I would think you could dress however you want to. THey cant tell you what u can and cant wear

You can dress but watch out for those Pesky Poperazzi ,,, Allwayz waiting an Lurking ,, Just waiting for a chance at a good shot as us . So dont forget your sunglasses . An ya better be able to run in those heels for sure ,, Cuz they will chase ya too ,,I know !!
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    The last I checked, there was no law on any book that made it illegal to cross dress. Plus why in this economy would any store refuse to service anyone based on their dress? Our money spends as good as anyones, I would save the lady at Dillards the trouble and go to the manager myself!

Hugs
    Jolene

It's not a question of what the national, state, or city laws are. It's whether the stores have policies against it or whether they are likely to ask me to leave or ban me.

It's not illegal and can't imagine any mall wanting to risk a law suit by asking you to leave. Of course if the outfit was to revealing and not decent for public places, they might have a leg to stand on. As for any store doing your makeup, they do reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. I'd call the manager and ask. I'd also want to know if the makeup artist is comfortable in dealing with me.

wishing on a star! Rebecca Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRANDYJ View Post
    I'd also want to know if the makeup artist is comfortable in dealing with me.
    From the sounds of it, I dare say that's the issue here. Not that the store has policies regarding CDing.
    ~ it's not how the world sees you but how you see yourself that counts ~
    free professional make-up tips and self help videos | free professional hair styling videos and tips

There is a TS chic at our Mac makeup counter !! Heyyyyyyy Wuz upppp,,, Whos the Boss Now ?
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Star View Post
    From the sounds of it, I dare say that's the issue here. Not that the store has policies regarding CDing.
    Sounds like a OMG I don't want to put make up on a guy thing to me.Not a good sales person IMO.I would see the MGR myself.
    Plus not let her do your make up.

Sounds to me like the question has already been answered. They apparently have never done it before. If I were you, I would continue checking around.
    I never new how masculine I was until I tried to be a woman

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Sounds like a OMG I don't want to put make up on a guy thing to me.Not a good sales person IMO.I would see the MGR myself.
    Plus not let her do your make up.
    That may not be the issue here. For all we know, the makeup artist might want to try, but she is not sure what the store policy is, or if they even have one. She might be excited to find out she can do it. She simply has never been asked before and has no clue about anything to do with TG people or how to properly deal with the issue.

Banned Read only
    Ask the SA what her favorite color is. If she says green, wave a $20 bill under her nose and say mine too.

Aspiring Member
    Sounds like they may be afraid that you want the makeup applied just so you can finish your appearance before going out. Unfortunately, there are people out there who take advantage of services, like the ones who go for the makeup then head home and put on their evening gown and hit the gala. As long as they know you are interested in making a purchase following the make-over there shouldn't be an issue.

I have had makeup done at ulta

I wouldn't hesitate to do it at mac the only thing I'd worry about is how much you will spend

MAC stores and counters are about as trans-friendly as it gets. The person you talked to is either very new, or so dumb that she didn't get the message while training. There are so many makeup artists who are enthusiastic about working with us that I would avoid this individual and ask to be helped by someone more experienced who "gets it" regarding our special needs. And what's the point if you can't go into the store dressed? OF COURSE you can (and should) do that! It's the whole point!

I've had makeovers at MAC, Sephora, Ulta and Merle Norman stores as well as many department store counters and, except for occasionally picking up an item or two to replenish my supplies, I wouldn't consider shopping for makeup in drab. Just walk in like you belong there (as you do) and let them do their magic on you.

- Diane

Aspiring Member
    I once walked into a Sephora dressed (it was one located inside a JC Penney). The girl asked me it I would like a makeover. It sounds like your girl was trying to get out of doing a makeover for you. If you do one, plan to spend a little money on products to make it worth their while. I have gotten great service at retail stores dressed and en drab. Also if you do one just go in dressed and just ask for one. They could be hesitant at first but with a carefree attitude you might change their perception of crossdressers. Enjoy!

Silver Member
    Gracious me!

Don't ASK. Don't ever ask. Just arrive with a big smile on your face. When you ask another person's permission to crossdress you immediately put yourself at a disadvantage.

But don't ever forget that they will expect you to spend some money.

S

Steph is right just go for it. If they ask you to leave ask were else in the mall you can get a few hundred dollar worth of makeup and they will ask you back in very quickly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

First, I can't imagine a major retailer like Dillards having anything but an LGBT friendly policy. MAC? They just raised $250,000,000 for AIDS research by sales of their VivaGlam lipsticks alone. Bottom line is that you have a perfect right to be there en femme and I seriously doubt that they don't want your money.

Maybe this MA is a little skittish. I would go in en femme and I would be as nice as I could be. You well may be the first CD that they have ever made over at that location and you could be breaking ground for any of your sisters that want to come in afterwards.

Good luck,
    Debby
    Debby

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I have shopped while crossdressed in Malls all over the U.S.A, and had makeup done in many different places. Since my wife passed away I have had makeup done while being crossdressed, but not wearing a wig or any makeup when I walked into the shop. Never have had a problem! As others have said, in this economy the stores want your money whether you are male or female, or maybe in between!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

The only reason that I might check ahead is to see if they have a makeup artist that has been trained in the needs of transgeders. When I had my makeup lesson a few years ago at a MAC store, the makeup artist said that every MAC store has at least one artist that has been trained in transgender makeup. But because the turnover rate is higher at MAC counters, finding an artist with this training at a counter might be a bit more hit or miss. If there is a MAC store in your area, I would try there first.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

Wow...if you live in the good ol' US of A, it is totally legal to come in dressed however you like, as long as the important parts are covered... Would it be any different if I came in with orange hair done up in a mohawk and wearing all leather with 4" spikes sticking out of everywhere and having my face and/or whole body looking like a pincushion? Crossdressing seems pretty tame compared to that, don't it?

Suzanne

Banned Read only
    Unless it is located in a neighborhood that has a high rare of violent crime, I would not hesitate to walk in to any Dillard's in the country en femme. If you are put together well, are affable and courteous and you don't act like you think you are doing anything wrong, the sales staff will treat you great.

If you are a mess and skulk around like you think you are a pervert, you will be treated like a messy skulking pervert.

Well, I can tell you that I've been to almost every mall in Central/South Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania without any problems, questions, whatever.

I had a makeover done at a MAC counter in a Macy's. I made the arrangements and the SA told me to wear little or no makeup when I came in. I did go dressed. Turns out it was some kind of event in the makeup area and ALL the counters had specials going on and there must have been 200 women filling the counters and aisles. I had to wait for my SA to finish a makeover on someone else so it was a bit disconcerting to be standing there all dressed and very little makeup on to hide the flaws.
    Well, she finally showed me to a chair and proceeded to do mine right there in the open. OH WELL!! In for a penny, in for a pound as they say.

She was wonderful and did a fabulous makeover. I spent just under $100 on some of the products she used on me and I got some great tips and found my shade at last.

It's not an issue here and I can't see that it would be there in any of the stores. You are not there to cause a problem, you're there to spend money and these days that's a big deal to any store.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Dressed enfemme--fine no problem--I had a good experience.

Some malls have a no photography policy...something to do with 911 and threats after that. So once out of the particular store, mall security may be a bit skittish about that.