Thread: CD places in Austin Texas. Any recommendations?

CD places in Austin Texas. Any recommendations?

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I have always wondered where in Austin Texas I can go crossdressing, or anywhere that I can drive to in an hour. I want to test that if I am passable or not before I feel more comfortable doing more things or go around town crossdressing. My girlfriend buy my clothes and do my makeup and hair. In a female's point of view she thinks I'm passable but I just have to test it first because she might be bias :P I am not comfortable going to places in downtown (lipsticks 24) because I might bump into friends. I heard a place called 'bout time' has anyone been there? I have read good and bad reviews on yelp, there are people saying that they have got their credit card information stolen or have unfriendly experiences from the bar tender. If I am going to places I will be with my girlfriend so I also want to find somewhere we can have fun and have some privacy.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Hey Kristy, I live just north of you in the Fort Hood area. I've gone out in the Austin area many times without problems. I've never been to 'bout time but it is really the only CD place in the Austin area.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Hi KrystiN, I used to live near Austin and it is a GREAT place for tg's or cd's as long as you stay away from the areas that would be considered dangerous by anyone (not just cd's/tg's). The Bout Time is certainly a safe and accepting place to go, and might be OK for your first time out. But, personally, i don't much like the Bout Time because it is noisy (and used to be very smokey, but i think the new laws now keep the smokers outside?). The clientelle there is quite varied and can include some rather strange folks. For that reason i myself would not go there with a gg friend or gg partner.
    If you are anywhere close to passable (don't need to be perfect or "unreadable"), a good choice would be one of the nice upscale restaurants in Austin. The upscale places generally treat cd's/tg's well, as long as the person is dressed appropriately and behaves appropriately.

If you are very nervous about going out en femme for the first time, then do try the Bout Time---just to get used to being out en femme.
    But once you feel a bit more relaxed, then try one of the upscale (not necessarily very expensive) restaurants for a nice dinner with your g/f.

And once you get more comfortable going out as a girl, and you want to be a bit more adventurous, you could get makeover at what used to be my favorite salon in Austin: The 505 Salon in the Arboretum shopping center. Just tell them who you are and what you want and they will give you a warm hello and get you all fixed up looking pretty for an evening out.

Good luck in your adventures.

Nancy

There is "Rain" on Fourth street. I've never been there but have heard from another that it was pretty nice.

" 'Bout Time" is VERY friendly and you should not hesitate in the least to go there. Like Nancy said, it used to be so full of smoke that your clothes and hair would reek after you got home, but that is no longer true due to new city/state laws. While it is very friendly and usually has a dozen or so of us in it every Friday and Saturday night, it really isn't anything to write home about. It's not a super glitzy and hip joint, it's just a bar, with the crowd and dirty bathrooms that you would expect to find in a bar. If you are looking for a nice place to take your girlfriend, this is not it.

As someone else pointed out, Austin is a very friendly place. If you want to treat your girlfriend to a nice time and place, go to any restaurant - you WILL be treated well.

I've been out on 6th street too, to the "normal" places, and have had no problems. Austin actually brags about and takes pride in the fact that it is a unique place. The city motto is "Keep Austin Weird" - kind of says it all dont it?

Thank you for all your suggestions, I will consider them. Although it is true that Austin seems to be more accepting of crossdressers, all that I'm afraid of is someone taking out their cell phone and take a picture of me while I'm in a restaurant eating, I'm not ready for my friends and family to find out on the internet yet, am I just too nervous and paranoid about it? Have you actually have experiences like this? And who will be there this friday night to bout time? Kimberly? Stacey? Nancy? Anyone wants to join me for my first experience?

Quote Originally Posted by KristyN View Post
    Thank you for all your suggestions, I will consider them. Although it is true that Austin seems to be more accepting of crossdressers, all that I'm afraid of is someone taking out their cell phone and take a picture of me while I'm in a restaurant eating, I'm not ready for my friends and family to find out on the internet yet, am I just too nervous and paranoid about it? Have you actually have experiences like this? And who will be there this friday night to bout time? Kimberly? Stacey? Nancy? Anyone wants to join me for my first experience?
    Afraid not my friend, I get out in Austin very rarely and this Friday I will be in Indianapolis in any case.

If you make it down to San Antonio, The Saint is a friendly place. I've been there numerous times, although sadly never when dressed. Also a plus with it being further away, the odds of running into someone you know are pretty slim.

Thank you for the tips. My girlfriend and I checked out Bout Time recently, and it was fun and interesting experience. The reviews for this bar made it sound like it was a dirty place with a shady staff, but we found them all to be quite nice. We talked to a few other cds there; which they were all fun to chat with. It was definitely an adrenaline rush walking in there for the first time, but if anyone was looking you, they were all smiling while have a good time. We also tried to play pool ... and now I have a new respect for natural women wearing heels all the time! but overall it was a fun challenge.

Jay, maybe my girlfriend and I will try to check out the saint in San Antonio the next time we have some time to kill. I'm sure that will be another fun experience.

Thanks Kimberly, Stacey, Jay, and Nancy!

AKA Elizabeth, Latin Girl
    Hi KristyN,
    I generally go anywhere I want. Never been to Bout Time but I usually hang out at one of the coffee house Halcyon, which is on 4th and Lavaca. I enjoy the area and enjoy the place.

I am glad that you had fun your first time out.