Thread: Bad Annalogies: Pluto Edition

Will this void warranty? Anna Talyn's Avatar

Bad Annalogies: Pluto Edition

[SIZE="4"]Question: What is being a crossdresser like?[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]Answer: I suppose it's analogous to the astronomical object near the Kuiper Belt known as Pluto.[/SIZE]

It has been a challenging time for Pluto in the last decade. It's identity has long been a topic of debate. In 2006 the object formally known as a planet and 9th rock from the sun was reclassified from a Planet to a Dwarf Planet by the IAU. Even with the total moons in orbit of Pluto currently at 5.

Pluto's place in the Kuiper belt lends to the controversy. The Kuiper Belt is A region in our outer solar system past the orbit of Neptune and contains thousands icy bodies. Even though there is no clear definitions of what a planet is, Pluto was reclassified with many emotional reactions.

So how is Pluto like being a crossdresser? Well let's look at the LGBT community. Strong notions of these groups have been held for a very long time. Subsets within are difficult to classify and terminology is heavily debated. Even the "T" is a strained inclusion. Further add the subset of crossdressers to the "T" group and you have layers and layers of controversy in the "solar system" of our community.

There are many supporters accepting Pluto as a planet. There have been large petitions and even state resolutions for recognition of Pluto as a planet to remain. Within the "T" group, crossdressers have many supporters and many not both within and without.

We all grew up knowing Pluto to be part of our solar system as a planet. Planetary models and mobiles just do not look right with only 8 rocks. It is one of those things we just accepted and many emotionally cling to. The reaction to the reclassification was huge and still continues. All this for something that has very little actual relevant impact on our lives. Now look at how difficult the acceptance of LGBT has been in our lives and political system. We can't decide on an icy rock, let along something as diverse as the gender and self identity spectrum.

In ancient Greek mythology Pluto is a god of the underworld but in a positive concept. The deep earth held wealth in minerals and seeds that fueled life. A very interesting thought in analogy to the wealth and seeds of our inner selves waiting to bud with the component of light for the catalyst. Even the astrological symbol of Pluto is similar to the Transgender Symbol.

So as the debate continue over classifications and definitions, I will look fondly upon the planet Pluto as an interesting, beautiful, object that deserves research and much exploration. That after all is mankind's nature. I miss holding the concept of Pluto being a planet but I like the idea of it being something that blends and challenges society and the scientific community. That it is causing us to reevaluate our methods and labels and traditions and look at our universe with new questions and perspectives. God Speed Pluto.

Aspiring Member
    Semi-related to your topic, I was driving to work today and there was a news story about the Mars rover. Well, we all know how are minds wander when commuting and here I was trying to name all of the planets in our solar system. Things were going good except I kept coming up one short. I knew for sure the first 4 were Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, then comes the 2 giants Saturn and ??, then the 3 outer ones (wait, they killed one, make that 2) Uranus and Neptune. For the life of me I could not think of that missing planet's name. Finally gave up and googled it when I got to work. Dang Jupiter!

Man Mercury
    Very Venus
    Early Earth
    Made Mars
    Judd Jupiter
    Stand Saturn
    Up Uranus
    Nearly Neptune
    Perfect Pluto

Class dismissed.

Crossdressing or more accurately, transgenderism is much like, in layman's terms, conceiving a baby; a joyous painful moment that lasts a lifetime.

Interesting analogy jillleanne.

Renee - funny how Pluto is the one most of us remember. I've missed Jupiter before too. Thank goodness for Google.

As with crossdressers, Pluto is going to be what it is despite the observations and the assignment of a label by others. Go Pluto, you have my vote Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Phew, for a moment I thought you were going to say we TG people were from Pluto and I was worried....

Wow, Anna, I thought you had something entirely different in mind!

[SIZE="1"](From animated-gifs.gifmania.hk)
    [/SIZE]

There is considerable debate over whether or not Pluto is a dog or something else entirely. And even if considered to be a dog, there is considerable debate over Pluto's precise species and gender, complicated by the notion that there is only one Pluto, only one member of the species. A creature wholly unique.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I know Anna...it was sad how they suddenly out of nowhere & for no good reason just ....whaled on poor lil Pluto. I wrote a letter & told em so back then. I didn't realize til then how astronomers could be so cruel.

Attachment 184682

The exclusion of Pluto from the current definition of major planets is actually a boon to schoolchildren everywhere. In this thread some have mentioned that they had a hard time memorizing the nine planets. Well, if we revise the definition of major planet to include Pluto then we have to include Eris and Ceres as well to increase the list to 11 Other definitions allow as many as 53 planets with new ones being added regularly as detection methods improve! I'm glad I graduated when it was only nine!

As far as reclassification goes, I'm glad that, over the last few decades, the mainstream public's classification of CDers has changed from "nasty deviant felon" to "marches to a different drummer." Yes there are a few bigots out there who still cling to the earlier view, but thankfully they are now the exception.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Platinum Member
    Hi Anna, I have enough trouble keeping things strate on Planet #3.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Talyn
    So how is Pluto like being a crossdresser? Well let's look at the LGBT community. Strong notions of these groups have been held for a very long time. Subsets within are difficult to classify and terminology is heavily debated. Even the "T" is a strained inclusion. Further add the subset of crossdressers to the "T" group and you have layers and layers of controversy in the "solar system" of our community.
    [SIZE="2"]It’s an interesting analogy, for us MtF crossdressers orbit at the very edge of the imaginary umbrella we are allegedly “under,” and we get no respect. I like the view from here, and I am free to live in my little isolated world, far from the politics that define human existence. Can you see me? Can you get an accurate picture of WHO or WHAT I am? Much like Pluto, information is sketchy at this point, and, judging by some of the words that are trotted out on this site, we MtF’s are getting more and more out of focus all the time – we have been marginalized by nearly everyone, including the other “planets” of our community…[/SIZE]

So as the debate continue over classifications and definitions, I will look fondly upon the planet Pluto as an interesting, beautiful, object that deserves research and much exploration. That after all is mankind's nature. I miss holding the concept of Pluto being a planet but I like the idea of it being something that blends and challenges society and the scientific community. That it is causing us to reevaluate our methods and labels and traditions and look at our universe with new questions and perspectives.
    [SIZE="2"]Here’s a question – if Pluto is now a “minor” or “dwarf” planet, are MtF crossdressers “minor” TG’s? The more someone tries to exclude me, or belittle me, I just keep orbiting the same truth I was born to revolve around, come what may. Truth be known, I’m worthy of acknowledgement, just like any other human who has lived, breathed, or pulled on a pair of panties – the fact that my idea of “living” doesn’t jibe with others doesn’t make me any less meaningful in the panoply of human existence. It gets cold here at the edge of space, you know – I think I’ll put on my pink sweater…

PS – I live not too far away from where Clyde Tombaugh, the man who discovered Pluto, grew up (Burdett, KS)…
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    Here’s a question – if Pluto is now a “minor” or “dwarf” planet, are MtF crossdressers “minor” TG’s?
    I don't know. Which is harder, choosing one gender and sticking to it exclusively or existing in each world part of the time?

We seem to spend a lot of time and effort driving wedges between the various TG subgroups. If we expended the same effort in supporting each other we'd all be a lot better off.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    We seem to spend a lot of time and effort driving wedges between the various TG subgroups. If we expended the same effort in supporting each other we'd all be a lot better off.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    There is considerable debate over whether or not Pluto is a dog or something else entirely. And even if considered to be a dog, there is considerable debate over Pluto's precise species and gender......
    Why is Pluto a pet dog and Goofy is a talking dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Renee W View Post
    Like many CD's, Pluto is in stealth mode.

Hugs,
    Persephone.

It's like being a leper; neither sex (the vast majority of them, anyway) wants to deal with it, and virtually none will accept us.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Good thoughts shared here all!

Quote Originally Posted by Mona View Post
    Phew, for a moment I thought you were going to say we TG people were from Pluto and I was worried....
    Would that be Plutonians? Plutians? Plutoans?
    Forget male, female, trans, Mankind. I think Earthling is just fine with me as far as classifications go.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee W View Post
    Well a talking dog is goofy. Seems logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [SIZE="2"]It’s an interesting analogy, for us MtF crossdressers orbit at the very edge of the imaginary umbrella we are allegedly “under,” and we get no respect. I like the view from here, and I am free to live in my little isolated world, far from the politics that define human existence. Can you see me? Can you get an accurate picture of WHO or WHAT I am? Much like Pluto, information is sketchy at this point, and, judging by some of the words that are trotted out on this site, we MtF’s are getting more and more out of focus all the time – we have been marginalized by nearly everyone, including the other “planets” of our community…[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]Here’s a question – if Pluto is now a “minor” or “dwarf” planet, are MtF crossdressers “minor” TG’s? The more someone tries to exclude me, or belittle me, I just keep orbiting the same truth I was born to revolve around, come what may. Truth be known, I’m worthy of acknowledgement, just like any other human who has lived, breathed, or pulled on a pair of panties – the fact that my idea of “living” doesn’t jibe with others doesn’t make me any less meaningful in the panoply of human existence. It gets cold here at the edge of space, you know – I think I’ll put on my pink sweater…

PS – I live not too far away from where Clyde Tombaugh, the man who discovered Pluto, grew up (Burdett, KS)…
    [/SIZE]
    Enough of us together will create our kind of gravity.
    Thanks for the great comments.

Don't forget a towel ( the most "massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have,").