Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was told it was wrong, wrong, wrong...

Was told it was wrong, wrong, wrong...

I stopped at a nail place I don't normally use to get a fill today. While the teenager who was removing the old polish from my nails did his thing, his little brother started asking me questions about why I looked the way I did. He was clearly confused and while I do my best to blend in, up close I am what I am.

He eventually figured out that I was a man and decided he needed to yell that. Then he started stomping around yelling "that's so wrong" over and over. His brother, and I presume his mother, eventually stopped him, but it was a strange experience.

His mother rushed through getting my nails done and did an OK job. I figured there really wasnt any point in complaining about his behavior; his whole family knew it was innappropriate and eventually dealt with him. The little kid was maning the register when I paid and wouldn't make eye contact; I have a feeling he wont have a positive view of the CD/TG community anytime soon.

FWIW, I was appropriately dressed for a 90 degree humid day; shorts, polo shirt, forms, wig and day makeup. Other than dirty look from the clerk at CVS at the end of the day, the rest of my errands were uneventful, with clothing store assocites just calling me ma'am, and people holding doors for me and such.

At 6'4" and not slim, I tend to stand out. But people rarely seem to care.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I have a feeling he wont have a positive view of the CD/TG community anytime soon.
    You can't expect unconditional acceptance from everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Voulez-Vous View Post
    You can't expect unconditional acceptance from everyone.
    I don't actually expect acceptance from anyone (though my wife is amazingly accepting and supportive). In my experience, however, kids rarely care, so the behavior was unexpected.

Adults I expect not to act out; beyond that it is what it is.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Don't know the age of the kid, but he definitely doesn't appear to be mature enough to appropriately interact with adults. Sorry he was there for you. I agree, typically young children are non judgemental. I have a feeling the adults in his life have expressed views similar to what he espoused, but they kept quiet. Hope you can get back to your usual salon.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ella View Post
    Don't know the age of the kid, but he definitely doesn't appear to be mature enough to appropriately interact with adults. Sorry he was there for you. I agree, typically young children are non judgemental. I have a feeling the adults in his life have expressed views similar to what he espoused, but they kept quiet. Hope you can get back to your usual salon.

Barbara
    The kid was about 8 years old. This is the only salon I've ever had an issue with.

I have a TS friend that I have known since we were in Kindergarten. She is very much a woman, and very hard to read that she was ever anything but. She told me that its usually little kids that read her. Teens and Adults normally are very accepting. I have often wondered if that is just because childeren don't have that brain to mouth filter figured out yet. Childeren are good at stating blunt thuths and don't realize how much it can upset someone (Not that it upset you). I would hope that working in a nail salon, they would help the child learn tollerance for others life styles. There's always hope for a child.
    "Oh my God, I realized, it's not that we're screwed up; it's just that we've been trained to thnk so."
    ~Rick Novic, Alice in Genderland

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    The kid was about 8 years old. This is the only salon I've ever had an issue with.
    that sounds about right for an 8 year old ... as humans we aren't instinctively respectful and tolerant, that's learned behavior.
    With any luck he got a quick lesson in respect and tolerance from his parents once you left ... or at the least the "trans dollars are the same as regular dollars" lesson :-)

I went to a nail salon for a Mani Pedi while I was out doing Christmas shopping last year. I asked the lady (She was an older Asian lady) if she could throw some clear coat on my nails. She seemed very taken back by it. She kept repeating over and over, "Ok you want them shiney","You want Shiney nail, ok..."... I felt a little awkward, but I was ok with it. I took my nice shiney nails and sat under the drying table for a bit and they looked every bit lovely. I haven't been back to get my nails done since then though. I plan on it when I get a little bit of play money in the purse.

I wonder what would have happend if I told her I like to dress up as a woman? LOL
    "Oh my God, I realized, it's not that we're screwed up; it's just that we've been trained to thnk so."
    ~Rick Novic, Alice in Genderland

Aspiring Member
    I think I would have got up and left with out paying for anything. there are plenty of places that will accept us as we are. It would teach the mother that the kid isn't mature enough to be around her customers. He may start bugging her other gg customers and being rude then where would the mother be. Out of business.
    Diane Elizabeth

Platinum Member
    Hi Kali, Note to self never return to that salon EVER!!
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Kali,

Sorry this happened to you Hunny Bunny.

Lets play the recording backwards cause you are not wrong.

This is so right right right. Now are you nodding your head in a vertical manner.

Lets do it again while nodding your hear in a yes fashion..

This is so Right Right Right

Now look down at your pretty painted tootsies, that looks nice doesn't it.

Don't hold on to this. Does not have to stay with you let it go, open the widow and let it float away.

Noemi
    polythene pam

Noemi -

I have no self-image issues regrding how I look.

And I never get color on my toes

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Gee .... so sorry to hear this. Ok, I get that the kid was not TG aware, but to say out loud "that's so wrong" ... well, IMHO if he's 8 years old, that comes from the way he is brought up. His parents probably think the same thing but they are are old enough not to say so out loud and because it's not good business sense either. It's funny though as in my experience younger people tend to be more accepting ... maybe 8 is too young for that level of tolerance.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

The flip side of this story: I've been going to the same nail tech since 1999, and have followed her to five different locations in that time. I have an appointment at least every two weeks and often in between as well, and always present fully dressed. My tech has two nieces who often hang around the shop, presently ages 15 and 9. I've watched them grow up and they, too, have been around me pretty much all their lives. They are TOTALLY accepting of my appearance and style and completely regard me as a member of the family. I help them with homework and have even driven them around town to various activities a time or two when their aunt needed a hand. They often offer compliments about my clothes, shoes, jewelry and so on, and I try to return the favor when I can. (The older one is really cute and fashion conscious!) The younger girl has expressed an interest in maybe doing hair or nails herself and is really building up her skills in the salon. If kids are brought up around people of different orientations or lifestyles from the beginning and are actively taught that it's all good and normal, they can be remarkably tolerant and accepting. These two will go into the world with no prejudices about us and that will make things just a tiny bit easier for the next generation.

- Diane

Kali, I am sorry you had to experience this, but it sounds like you're pretty comfortable in your own skin. Good on you for that! *Hugs*

I had a similar experience at my cousin's place this weekend. The parents both know I dress and struggle with my self identity. They are supportive, but I found out they have been teaching their children that what I do is wrong. I always present male to the children, and they have no idea I dress, but when a comment about the younger boy wearing his sisters shoes to school, they all reacted negatively to the 'joke'.

I'm the last person to be offended by a joke, but when their son asked why someone would want to (in this case wear his sisters shoes), he was told that they shouldn't, it was unnatural, and wrong. I was sitting right there at the table, and neither parent would meet my eyespot the rest of the meal. I love them all, but it hurt deeper than I expected, so I feel for ya.
    -J

God gave me free will, my choices are my own. Knowing right from wrong takes a lot of prayer and study. I refuse to accept or make excuses for my own actions, desires, or beliefs.

"life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Waslch

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy R Lynn View Post
    I have a TS friend that I have known since we were in Kindergarten. She is very much a woman, and very hard to read that she was ever anything but. She told me that its usually little kids that read her. Teens and Adults normally are very accepting. I have often wondered if that is just because childeren don't have that brain to mouth filter figured out yet. Childeren are good at stating blunt thuths and don't realize how much it can upset someone (Not that it upset you). I would hope that working in a nail salon, they would help the child learn tollerance for others life styles. There's always hope for a child.
    Kids are very good at reading between the lines. They pick up on body language and nuances in speech very readily. Understanding a situation and how you react to it are two different things. They have the ability for the first part, but not the sophistication for the second part...

well, it sounds like you handled the situation with poise and grace and that is the most important thing, in my estimation. I've never thought it was particularly helpful to raise a big fuss. Thomas Jefferson once said that nothing gives one person more advantage over another than to remain cool and unruffled under any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ella View Post
    Don't know the age of the kid,
    That's what I thought too. I wonder if he is at that age when all his friends are defining what a man is and what a girl is ( I say girl because at that age boys think they are men and all the young females are girls and targets while women are older and remind them of their grandmother). His point of reference was probably what some punk kid he knows told him. I sort of feel sorry for the parents but they should have seen that coming and already discussed how money is green no matter who spends it.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Just read something on another site this evening;

Prejudice is not inherent to our nature it is something we learn from others.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Personally, Kali, I've come to EXPECT that wherever and whenever I go out dressed! Because to many people it IS wrong!

Everywhere except HERE, that is!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Like others have said, kids that age tend not to understand things and don't know when they they things that it could hurt someone else's feelings. It is awkward when it happens. especially when in public..I'm sure one the little boy is older, who knows, he might not feel the same about it!

Children are guileless, and will often blurt out things which are not necessarily P.C.. But, since he did blurt it out, he must have heard it somewhere, (like around his Family or friends) and I don't think you would be wise to go back there and ever give them any more money. I am sure your not The First T-Gal who ever patronized The Establishment, and probably it was Family commenting on some other customer which gave him his quaint ideas!

One sure way to make Mom think, (regret?) is to lose business. I'd also be thinking about informing any other gurls who might give them business, to take their patronage somewhere else.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Hopefully the parents will take the opportunity to teach the boy about the diversity in life or at least how not to run the paying customers out the door.

Second that

Quote Originally Posted by diane elizabeth View Post
    i think i would have got up and left with out paying for anything. There are plenty of places that will accept us as we are. It would teach the mother that the kid isn't mature enough to be around her customers. He may start bugging her other gg customers and being rude then where would the mother be. Out of business.
    >> true---dat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

ad omnis par
    I've had a couple experiences like this with kids. They are so indoctrinated with the societal gender that sometimes they can't see beyond that. My 5 year old nephew is a bit like that. My sister is completely accepting, but there are times when my nephew will say things.
    I've found that parents will generally quickly correct the situation, which actually gives me hope for the human race
    ad omnis par
    Toni

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.