Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Male Mannerisms?

I haven't seen it here, maybe I missed it but one of the golden rules of being a man is never touch another man other than a handshake if it is humanly possible. I don't even like to shake hands to tell the truth, but I am not really much of a man in a lot of ways. A man also is very careful about touching a woman, yes he loves to do so but will fear being thought of as too forward unless you know the woman very well.

Also a man will almost never keep his knees anywhere near each other. The farther apart the better.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I'm FTM gosh-darnit!
    Adam,

Mannerisms can only help you pass so much. The "male vibe" has more to do with being comfortable, confident, and not letting other people dictate how you act. Also, when you're drunk, you may tend to revert back to your old mannerisms, so make sure there isn't too sharp a difference. For example, I act a lot more *ahem* flamboyantly when I'm drunk. During the day I do my best to keep my hand motions and such in check, but I don't want to seem 'straight acting'. I'm me. I want to act like me. The whole point of this is so that I can behave in a way that's comfortable and makes sense for me and my personality. I'm a gay guy, I wear nail polish, and I move my hands whichever way I damn please. I suggest you do the same.

Also, FYI, a lot of my cis guy friends are WAY more 'feminine' or 'flamboyant' whatever you want to call it, than I am. You probably over-estimate the extent to which your mannerisms seem girly. I mean, I love My Little Pony and pink sparkles (love pink sparkles) as much as the next guy, but when I compare myself to my friends, I'm actually pretty manly. Develop your own way of acting like an adult and this will take you a lot farther than just copying the guys you see around town. Without jumping onto the unicorn bandwagon (although, it is fun up here with the unicorns), you are unique, and you have your own unique mannerisms that are uniquely you. Don't come all this way just so you can act like every douche bro in Philly. You're you. Own it.

Average Young Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Adam,

Mannerisms can only help you pass so much. The "male vibe" has more to do with being comfortable, confident, and not letting other people dictate how you act. Also, when you're drunk, you may tend to revert back to your old mannerisms, so make sure there isn't too sharp a difference. For example, I act a lot more *ahem* flamboyantly when I'm drunk. During the day I do my best to keep my hand motions and such in check, but I don't want to seem 'straight acting'. I'm me. I want to act like me. The whole point of this is so that I can behave in a way that's comfortable and makes sense for me and my personality. I'm a gay guy, I wear nail polish, and I move my hands whichever way I damn please. I suggest you do the same.

Also, FYI, a lot of my cis guy friends are WAY more 'feminine' or 'flamboyant' whatever you want to call it, than I am. You probably over-estimate the extent to which your mannerisms seem girly. I mean, I love My Little Pony and pink sparkles (love pink sparkles) as much as the next guy, but when I compare myself to my friends, I'm actually pretty manly. Develop your own way of acting like an adult and this will take you a lot farther than just copying the guys you see around town. Without jumping onto the unicorn bandwagon (although, it is fun up here with the unicorns), you are unique, and you have your own unique mannerisms that are uniquely you. Don't come all this way just so you can act like every douche bro in Philly. You're you. Own it.
    Hah, I like the usage of bro. My best friend uses 'bro' as a term to belittleing. And Philly douche isn't quite my style, I'm from Texas, but I hardly think Texas douche quite fits either. Whelp, looks like I'm gonna have to be a nice guy, damn
    But anyway, when you're drunk is an interesting subject. I don't exactly know what it is, but when I'm drunk I "pass" even better! I think it's because I'm so tense all the time my mussels relax a little after a few rounds of Jameson. But I don't mean to be a douche and waive your point. One can't act forever. But the point of this thread to me was to try something new perhaps. The lovely mtfs ask for makeup tips to enhance what they already have to give off a more feminine vibe, why can't I do the same? Enhance what I have for a desired result. And dude, unicorns are a soft spot with me- how ever would you of guessed?
    The name's Adam. 19 year old FtM in Philly USA. Looking for friends and confidence.[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    I find on the days I do not try to pass I acutely pass better. I do wear baggy clothes but not super baggy. I can not grow a beard real well so I just let it get to stubble and it works for me. I do not wear a binder even though I should but it works.

Gold Member
    Here is a bit of advice that will catch me some hell but here it goes -
    Men tend to respect other people's space. Women often do not respect personal space.
    A man will move out of the way for a woman or another man. A man will honor someone's space.
    A woman acts like she owns the place. You could be standing there, say trying to pick out a cereal and a woman would just nudge her ass in like you are not there. I hate this aspect of woman behavior.

Also as corny as it sounds, if you go to brocode.org - there are a lot of good rules for living as a man. You will notice a lot of these rules revolve around respecting someone's personal space (physical, emotional, or social "space")

Some of these rules might seem archaic (such as not being required to give birthday cards) but MEN understand. Men's and women's social codes are MUCH different in many ways. As I continue on my journey to become a woman and learn their behaviors, i am often shocked how they interact but this is what it means to live in a new gender role.

So, time to start learning the social aspects so you don't do something to look like a bitch before other bros

Being a man is about giving and expecting respect. Women tend to expect it more than give it.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by KaTanya View Post
    @the_shark: As far as fighting goes, you don't have to fight to be a man, but knowing how to fight is definitely useful. I won't pretend to point out rules of thumb, because there are none. A challenge can come from anywhere, at anytime.

The good news? Learning how to fight is like a bank. The more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it, and those benefits will carry over into other areas of your life.

Maybe a fight can come out of anywhere, but a bar full of twenty-something males after midnight is the most likely place. Bruce Lee said that the best way to block a punch is to not be there when it is thrown. Fighting is not a male behavior you will want to assimilate. Be careful, please do not get hurt. Because a fight hurts, even if you win. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't been in a fight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.