Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Mom Should Have Taught Me

What Mom Should Have Taught Me

One of the worst things about growing up as a boy is that we never got the training in 'girl things' that our sisters received. I wish I'd learned some skills like sewing and how to put on makeup. What do you wish you had learned from your mothers?

Platinum Member
    How to manage my temper. I learned the basics of cooking, mending and home care from her...of course she left out make up, but then she seldom wore any.

Me two. How to be more patient. I had an absent father, a mother and three older sisters who raised me. No wonder I ...

Platinum Member
    Hi Vanessa, I learned to sew in my early teenage years from my mother
    but we never got to the make up thing I learned that myself many years later.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Social graces, listening skills, being deferential, and how to wear a "social face" (smiling, etc), which girls manage so much better than boys. Actually I don't think mothers actively "teach" these things to their daughters as much as model them for their daughters. I wish I has paid more attention.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Have to agree with Dawn, we tend to pick up the behavior we relate most to. Had a great mother and father, but picked up the German stoic mentality from Dad, and the British "aloofness" (not right word) from Mom, but being a boy I was allowed to do boy things with little guidance from the female side of the family (5 boys, one girl, so we ran the roost). Boy Scouts taught me to cook and sew, but we were hellions when out camping. I hope my daughters picked up some behaviors from wife and I, so far so good. Working overtime on the grandson.....lol

I do agree I wish there had been more things from Mom.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Makeup and hair styling skills

Well Vanessa she could have taught me to walk, talk, act like a girl. This crap is hard to learn at my age!

How to "infer," how to be subtle, how to be discreet, and non-confrontational. How to create social networks.

As a male from The Midwest I learned how to be Direct and blunt! Although it often has it's uses, it can seem to be gruff or cruel. So, I wish I had been taught the "give and take," and The Social Graces that go with it. Believe me Ladies, I think it's a skill that has to be taught from a very early age. Males get little or none of that type of training. Yeah, we can do The "Teamwork" Thing quite well, or we know how to be a "Buddy." But those feminine "skills?" They certainly elude us. If you doubt, just ask a lot of The GG's around here. Our writing often reflects what we Didn't Learn!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Mom was a great cook! But boys weren't aloud in the kitchen! So cooking and style in dressing would of been nice to learn!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Got to go with how to put on makeup!!! Hugs Riki

Makeup for sure and fashion tips.

OK, here's a question that perhaps our wonderful GGs can answer: How many of their mothers actually taught them to use makeup?

I have a feeling that most GGs learn more about makeup skills from older teenage friends.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Average Young Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    OK, here's a question that perhaps our wonderful GGs can answer: How many of their mothers actually taught them to use makeup?

I have a feeling that most GGs learn more about makeup skills from older teenage friends.
    Mine told me what each of the mysterious tubes and pots were for but it was really the older friends that assisted with teaching of application. So, Eryn, you are correct in my case.
    On a side note, I could take this from the flipside, what my father didn't teach me: CONFRONTATION and I do not mix well. I have a heck of a temper, but being taught to conceal that as a girl makes it difficult to almost tell anyone if I disagree with them. I'm getting better about letting my blunt opinions show, but it's a process.
    The name's Adam. 19 year old FtM in Philly USA. Looking for friends and confidence.[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    Nothing! (Is that twenty characters yet?)

Silver Member
    I'm glad mom did not teach me about make up, women's clothing or how to walk in high heels. If she did, I might have grown up and become a crossdresser.

Mother didn't teach me anything.

My mother did not teach me what I learned in the military. Not every girl got the training it takes to learn how to put on make up. No boy would ever receive that kind of training anyway. Learning to put on makeup is very easy, but does take time. Practice and you will be as good as you think all those other woman are. I am still learning cause I have so many to look at that are so good to look at.

Tess
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

My mom was a Basketball Player and got me started on the road to dominance but then again she was Pretty, something I secretly aspired to be. She was too good a cook and seamstress for me to compete and besides she was no nonsence territorial in the home.

Mom never used much makeup so I think it would have been great to learn to cook and sew.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Mom wasn't a fashion plate and barely used any makeup, so what I know about those areas I had to pick up on my own. She could cook well when she took the time, and was a top-notch seamstress, but never really offered to teach me either skill. I wish I had at least some minimal ability to sew.

- Diane

My Mom tought me how to cook, clean the house, set a dinner table properly, she even had me fix her garters to her stockings. She tought me how to be gentle.

being an observational learner, I picked up a lot from my mom without her having to actively teach me anything. Which is good, because aside from morals, she only ever taught me how to dance. Everything else was self-learning. I don't know if there's anything I'd rather learn from my mom directly...

Aspiring Member
    I was taught to sew and how to cook my parents belief was you might have to cook something or sew a button on. My mother didn't use much makeup but I wish one of my sister would have taught me some stuff as one of them knew I wore her clothes every chance that I had.

Just wonder how different it would have been if Mom had me change into some of my sisters' leotards and tights and shuttled me off at ballet classes with them two afternoons a week after school.

Mom was a working mom. So with only boys, she taught us what we needed to know to help her out. I was a star student. I can cook, clean better than most girls now days, sew, know how to do laundry the right way, decorate, and just finished crocheting that blanket for the bed.
    What I failed to lean and struggle with now is feminine movements, makeup, and voice. But we never stop learning.