Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omg! It's 'illegal'?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Madam Rose View Post
    This is why I don't like the army. Shouldn't it be about honoring your country and fighting for whats right. But no they want to make us CDs as if where terroist.
    Sometimes the important things don't matter like they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Claire View Post
    Sometimes the important things don't matter like they should.
    Agree the only thing that should matter is your honor and your pride to fight for whats right.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaVal View Post
    Like I said, I am only talking about my opinion, but I have to ask...live to fight another day? What would I fight? What better day? I'm not saying I won't shut the closet door again, but I want to honestly consider if this day is the right time to start my fight. Good record, no NJP, and I am one of their better operators (don't like to brag, but evals and rankings don't lie). If they want to kick out a talented, patriotic, and straight sailor for something the civilian world doesn't consider a problem...what better place to start fighting from?
    Speaking from a purely tactical standpoint, literally anywhere else! I'm committed to the fight too, but fighting now is suicide. I don't know what the job market for nukes looks like, but for many of us (intel weenies included, despite rumor to the contrary) civilian jobs are hard to come by. You're on the inside, you've got one shot at this. Don't be afraid to wait for one that counts. Think it through to the endgame: if you stand and fight right now, you'll just be another sailor bitching about the rules after a med board decides to go ahead with discharge. They win. Switching to strategy mode, the only way we can win is to maneuver the military into a position in which kicking us out is less palatable than changing the rules.

Vanessa has the right idea. We need to try to bring public pressure to bear on the government. We need doctors and psychologists who will put their name and reputation on statements that our "condition" doesn't pose any significant obstacle to the execution of our jobs. We need lawyers who are willing to challenge this rule. We need to get stories of our plight out there (anonymously, of course), hopefully stirring up some public opinion. And I was only half joking about Gaga. The more celebrities we can get behind this, the more money comes into the fight. The time to stand up and be counted will come, it's just not now.

Jessica: I haven't seen it but incase nobody has,,, Thank you for your service to our country!! And if you have been over seas,, Welcome home !!!!!

Sure, I used to have a TOp Secret and worked on a nuclear missile, so I know all about the fear of being discovered. Like others said, don't flaunt it, and keep your damned head down. You only have four more years to go and I personally will slap the snot outta you if you screw it up this close to the finish line!

Don't think it is illegal!

Instead of being illegal. I think what they mean is you can't be Trans and be in the Military. Which is fine with me I already did my time as Trans. Dress the way you want at home. Same as the way you want with in reason at work. What you know and what they don't know will more than likely keep you okay. Be discreet. You can do it. But don't take my word for it I don't know anything. Smooth sailing from now on.

I will be retired for twenty years next year. Think stuff like trouser socks instead of and you can make it. There are probably other things that will work to.

Tess
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

Haha, well, I appreciate all the advice and threats (I'm watching you, Kimberly!). I have contacted the SLDN and talked to them about the issue. It can be considered illegal from a number of perspectives, though none have really been enforced in any recent time-frame (say, the last decade). The biggest concern now is that coming out or being caught is considered a voluntary act and any bonuses or incentive pays have to be paid back to the government. Not an issue for some, moreso for others.

I've decided to start saving up as much as I can so that if that day comes, I can pay them back. If I can make it through the four years (hopefully not too difficult) then I'll have a nice college/transition fund saved up!

Thank you for all your support and guidance!
    -J

God gave me free will, my choices are my own. Knowing right from wrong takes a lot of prayer and study. I refuse to accept or make excuses for my own actions, desires, or beliefs.

"life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Waslch

Oh how I wish the US Military would catch up with the UK. I am proud to know a couple of people in HM Forces who are going through GRS and who will continue to serve after it is complete. There is great support for ALL GLB AND T members of the UK Forces, particularly at Proud2Serve!

Good luck whichever way you choose to go Jessica, you can be proud of your service to your country, even if your country doesn't return that honour!

Thank you, Beth. I, too, wish (and hope) we would catch up. Well, they've got three years, or so, to do it. If they legalize it, I'll be the first in line!
    -J

God gave me free will, my choices are my own. Knowing right from wrong takes a lot of prayer and study. I refuse to accept or make excuses for my own actions, desires, or beliefs.

I was in the navy for 10+ years and with GID the whole time. One thing I learned was if you do your job so well that the navy can't live without you that they will look over quite a bit of the insignificant stuff. Just make yourself so valuable they can't afford to get rid of you.
    We had a corpman that was gay and proud, he was the best doc anyone could ask for. He was never questioned and the last I heard he was a chief.

Also don't surf this site or any other LBGT site using govt computers or govt networks. ONLY use your personal computer on your personal time.
    It also wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure you encrypt your computer. Aside from keeping the GID secret safe, it will keep out pesky sailors who want to use your pc. Also I would recommend not keeping pics of you of your phone, just in case security ever looks through it. It can and does happen.

Bottm line, keep the CD stuff offbase, do your job to the best of your ability and keep out of trouble. Four years will fly by.

Here's the deal, by definition if you are a CD then you don't have GID. If your TS then you do. CDs "suffer" from "transvestic fetishism" according to the DSM IV (5 is not out yet) neither 4 or 5 adresses the now popular term "TG"

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    I knew that any non-straight-as-an-arrow-type person was a no-no in the military years ago. That is the biggest reason why I chose not to serve. I was considering the Air Force Academy when I was in high school and had an AFROTC scholarship waiting for me that I opted not to take when I entered college, so I was serious about it.

Another thing to consider is this is part of "diversity". Diversity isn't just about the color of your skin - it is also about how you think. TG folks, having gone through a completely different life from regular folks tend to have at least somewhat of a different way of thinking about things (think: problem solving). I for one feel much safer knowing that there is some diversity of thought running/teaching about anything nuclear.
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

The US Navy is actually pretty hip on te distinction between crossdressing and gender identity disorder. Well, I should say they are hip on THEIR distinction. I think I mentioned earlier a couple of cases where sailors were prosecuted. In those cases it was taken as crossdressing (a sexual behavior, according to the Navy) and they were dealt with accordingly. One was en femme when her cousin and niece came over for a visit. Evidently she had been out to her family, so this wasn't a surprise to anyone but a nosy neighbor. Because she was engaged in a 'sexual behaviour' around a minor, she was jailed for six months and forced to register as a sex offender. This case is over a decade old, I think. Recently they just say mental health problem (CS or TS/TG) and send you on your way.

I agree with the diversity comment! I don't pretend to think my way of thinking or operating is better, but it certainly is different (and usually kinder, calmer, more patient...ok, maybe I do think it's better sometimes). Of course anyone with enliste experience knows that diversity is encouraged only so far. As Ford said, "You can have any color, as long as its black."
    -J

After reading most all of the responses here I'd say the only issue you have facing you is losing your clearance and being pulled from the PRP (if you are a part of that), you see guys get yanked for going in debt, medical issues, marriage issues etc. If you're not "out" the perceived threat is that you could be blackmailed and that is reason to pull your clearance or make you PRP ineligible. That stuff doesn't affect what type of discharge you get when you retire or leave the service however getting your clearance pulled can affect what job opportunities are available to you both in and outside of the service.