Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Do You Dress For?

Who Do You Dress For?

My wife and I were watching Project Runway a couple of weeks ago, and we came across this wonderful quote from Betsey Johnson:

"Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves, and of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys, they'd just walk around naked all the time."

We talked about this quite a bit, and the best conclusion we could come to is that Meghan (me) was just like any other girl...we dress for each other and ourselves.

There seems to be this prevailing thing that dressing for ourselves is wrong. I am not sure I buy that.

And hell, the avatar section is a virtual beauty contest, with everyone doing their best to impress each other.

Every night for the last week or so I has been playing with different outfits and looks trying to impress her. And she challenges me every time to look better.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work regardless of whether or not your plumbing is on the inside or outside?

Meghan
    "No matter how far you've gone down a wrong road, turn back."

~Turkish Proverb

I dress for me or for the comfort. I do things for my wife she seams to be happy with what ever I wear as long as I am comfortable
    she tells me that she loves me for me not what I wear
    I have notice that she touches me or hugs me more when I am wearing something fem
    WHEN IN STRESS WEAR A DRESS
    BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF IT ALL YOU GOT

I didn't used to understand this until I got more into dressing. But now I understand why a woman would dress for herself. To feel pretty, cute, feminine, or whatever else she wants to feel about herself. I know I'm stereotyping, as there are plenty of women who dress in men's clothes half the time. But for those who do dress more feminine, I see now that it's not for men that they dress. At least for me, it makes me feel pretty, and that's all about how I feel about myself, and now how others feel about me. Of course, I'm a CD, and not a woman, so I know it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    I dress for me or for the comfort. I do things for my wife she seams to be happy with what ever I wear as long as I am comfortable
    she tells me that she loves me for me not what I wear
    I have notice that she touches me or hugs me more when I am wearing something fem
    I would have to agree with Missy, maybe not the last line, but it is great that a SO is ok with it, and yes i dress for me first. I love female clothes, I just want to feel comfortable Hugs
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

Success. She's this lady I know from work.

I've always heard that women dress to impress other women. I dress hopefully to blend in...feel comfortable and survive my complex existence.

I've always thought women look better with nice clothes on than naked. Just more proof I'm not a boy, I suppose!
    hugs for everyone!
    Rachel x

It is impossible to dress for anyone else but yourself, the difference is how you want the dressing to serve you.

Within every altruistic act is an element of self interest, only what is valued changes.

Beauty takes by giving.

There is another place beyond others and for me this is the best place. You travel into yourself to find that which has been neglected, injured and lost.

Some call it the heart others innocence but it is that which is necessary to life if you are going to go beyond life, it is that part of you that is immortal if you do not allow it to be destroyed by those who have given away their immortality from fear of losing it.

A bit like Kelley on this point.
    I dress for myself.
    First of all to look good and have pride in my appearance and to look acceptable tp others as a woman.
    Really nothing more.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan M View Post
    "Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves, and of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys, they'd just walk around naked all the time."
    I disagree with this simply because the statement is too broad.

I consider myself fairly typical and there are some times when I do dress for men (my SO specifically), and when I was single, the sexy clothes that I wore at various times were most definitely not intended to impress women. lol

At other times I dress for myself, and this is when I wear a comfy hoodie and jeans. Still at other times I dress out of social convention, for example if I'm applying for a job I'll be sure to wear something that looks professional and well groomed. And sometimes if I feel blue, I will dress nicely for myself and not over the top sexy just to go out and have a nice dinner as a pick me up.

I honestly cannot recall ever dressing for other women though. If I go out with girlfriends my manner of dress is chosen to be appropriate for the venue, and it is something I would wear there even if I were on my own or with my SO. If it's a nightclub the look will be different than if it's a nice restaurant, and different still if it's the pizza parlor. If I'm going to a female friend's house to watch a movie, then I'll dress comfortably in my bang-around clothes. But then, I'm not big on keeping up with the Joneses, nor do I care about establishing my pecking order among women. I see them as friends, not the competition.

I just read one of the above comments and I have to say, the only time I want to feel pretty, and particularly feminine (more feminine than my standard, unadorned self), is for men. My friends and acquaintances don't really care how feminine I am.
    Last edited by ReineD; 08-22-2012 at 01:51 AM.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Flowers View Post
    I've always thought women look better with nice clothes on than naked. Just more proof I'm not a boy, I suppose!
    Some women are a work of art and the less in the way the less apt the picture to be spoiled. That is also true of some guys including some crossdressed ones, thinking of Carmen Carrera as an example.

I dress for myself whether as a girl or boy but I do solicit my wife's advice. And she asks mine, I have to say I prefer her naked when that is socially acceptable.

Hi,

Heres a detail often missed ,

Why does a woman dress is it only to impress or intice another or just to be her self & feel good about her self as a...WOMAN...

Well think on this,

After a hard day with kids who are just being kids you now right little rat bags kids talk all day you are tired had enough allmost at breaking point & just need time out.

Maybe a hard day at working at others beck & call, & at the end of that go home have to cook tea & hit the couch .

so is it any wonder women just ....NEED.... a break spend a little time dressing up going out time with others just to get away from the day to day life in other words something different & be waited on by some ....ONE.... else .

Not saying who in some friendships or marrages . you know what i mean.

I could say more though i think you get what i mean.

Why do i dress to be with others to be a part of one of many groups im in we dress differently its fun nice to be seen have our pic's taken , ooops im the camara woman.....& dont have any issues being us really being normal ,

& if you like our hobby is dressing up & we are women The clothes are not just your day to day wear ether.

Though most of us are just normal women in our day to day wear. so we do have our dress up days,

...noeleena...

Dress for myself. When the need to feel sexy hits, wearing a sexy bra does the trick.
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

I dress for me primarily, but I must say that when I go out I'm conscious of what other women will think of my outfit. I certainly don't dress to please men.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

If I didn't dress for myself than I wouldn't dress at all!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I do exactly what Betsey said, first for myself, then my other t'girlfriends who I hang with. If other's notice, that's just icing on the cake

Which reminds me of a pub crawl we were on in an unamed city a couple weeks back....one of the girls with us had on the most uncomfortable shoes that while we were walking to the first club suddenly there's this BOOM and she falls on the sidewalk. We all help her up and get going again.....then BOOM she falls again!
    She was then required to walk barefoot the rest of the time we were on the streets! She DID survive the night intact lol....geez the point being that she dressed for herself BUT should've dressed for comfort and ease of motion
    Last edited by kristinacd55; 08-22-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Meghan, I dress for the reflection in the mirror. Luv Roberta
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    I dress for me or for the comfort.
    Since when did comfort ever come into the equation? bras and girdles and corsets and heels.... if I wanted comfort I'd be wearing womens jeans! lol

I dress because I HAVE to.... not necessarily because I want to...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I dress for myself, choosing outfits that I think look good on me.

Platinum Member
    To follow Reine's point of view, I think we with supportive SOs do try to dress for them. I certainly look to my wife for inspiration but also I want to look nice for her. As for other women, I really just want to be dressed in a manner that doesn't scream out as over the top.

When I dress I dress for me. My goal is to blend as a woman. If I am somewhat successful it helps build my confidence. I want to fit in as a woman and I work hard at it. I want my wife to feel comfortable with my look too, although she is still nervous I'll get read. I'm sure she has an escape plan ready for herself just in case! Others may dress to attract men and that is okay too as we all have goals to achieve.
    Last edited by Marleena; 08-22-2012 at 08:45 AM.

As a crossdresser I dress for the image in the mirror. Feminine , attractive and a bit titillating.
    If I am going out, I dress to look good. It is just like when I used to wax my hot car every week. Favorable attention, and a bit of jealousy from the onlookers.

As a GG why would I want to dress for other women...I dress for myself.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

I dress for me mostly. However, when I am with my SO and she wants me to dress feminine, I dress for her. I want her pleased with what she sees. Mostly that is my grey working maid or housekeeper dress since she likes me doing chores and serving her while wearing it. I would never dress in a manor that she is not pleased with.

Very nice thread Meghan I dress for Myself as I am the only one who knows but even then, if someone else knew, it wouldn't change who I dress for.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!