Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the precipice... shave my legs??

Mary Tyler Moore wannabe MarinaKirax's Avatar

On the precipice... shave my legs??

My SO is supportive, or rather quietly accepting, but does not encourage. She understands it exists, and is OK to allow me some 'private time', but worries incessantly that I might be found out by others, which would hurt us both, and perhaps our kids.

That said, I was noticing recently how many men in our acquaintance shave their legs. Many have so little hair they appear shaved, but many who either are into cycling, or triathlons seem to shave their legs and just walk around with no one making a comment, just assuming its part of their exercise/sport acheivement regimen.

I don't have overly hairy legs, and I would love to experience the feeling of shaved legs. I could probably get away with shaving amongst my male friends, because I do a bit of cycling, and I could just say its part of that. But my family, in-laws, and my kids would certainly notice the change, and would comment on it. It might be more difficult to explain to them, since they know I'm not a pro cyclist, or anything. I might have to retreat to the unspoken, assumed explanation of "I just wanted to feel the smoothness of shaved legs", which is closer to the truth than I want to get with them.

What do you think? Am I just obsessing about this because it's Fall and the Pink Fog is about? If I value secrecy that much (I do) is this a crazy risk? Or will no one care?
    God gave women intuition and femininity. Used properly, the combination easily jumbles the brain of any man I've ever met. Farrah Fawcett

Aspiring Member
    Shave it all off. Regardless of what some people think or say, it is becoming quite common for men to shave their chest, legs and under arms. Take for instance the recent episode of Big Brother (don't know if you get this CBS show up there). One of the guys had the girls use some hair remover he borrowed from one of the other guys to remove the trees he had growing in his armpits. There was mention chest and leg hair management. I also remember one season where one of the guys seemed obsessed with chest hair removal, everytime you saw him he seemed to be dragging a disposable razor across his chest.

I started a thread yesterday about someone asking me about if I shave my legs. I have done it for maybe 15 years (started with sugaring and Nair....went to waxing...now I shave or use Nair because I hate to wait for it to grow long enough) and no one has ever said anything until now (except my MIL several years ago but she doesn't really count). When I first started thinking of it I started to notice how many males have so little hair on certain areas. Usually the biggest burliest guy who you would think would be a linebacker had very little leg hair. It is different for everyone. I just decided if people notice my legs shaved, they really need a new hobby.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I understand the view of not caring what others might think, and just going ahead. My self-esteem would support that. My fear is that others might notice enough to question WHY I would want to shave my legs - particularly inlaws, and kids. Am I just giving them enough to wonder about? Because I don't want them to wonder at all.
    God gave women intuition and femininity. Used properly, the combination easily jumbles the brain of any man I've ever met. Farrah Fawcett

Let them wonder. But what is it that they will wonder about? Unless there are other clues, the last thing they will think is that you are a CD. We sometimes worry to much about being discovered when in fact it takes a whole lot more then just shaved legs to have the average person think you are a CD.
    As others have said, many men shave their legs for various reasons. It's not that uncommon anymore. And just what is wrong if anyone asks to say that you wanted to see what it felt like and since you did it, you like the look and feel so much better then being hairy. That's an honest answer to me. No need to explain further. I was once asks about my shaved chest and legs by a nurse while I was in the hospital. I chickened out and said that my sweetheart liked it better that way. I wish I had simply said I like it better that way. They were happy and only commented that they did not have to shave me for the procedure.
    As for the atheletes walking around and no one saying anything about it, it's because tjey are not CD's and don't see it as wrong or worry about detection like us CD's do.
    The only think I'd suggest is to clear it with your wife. She has to sleep with you and is the only one that matters. Just be sure she won't be upset if you do it and just let her discover it.

Start by using a light smear of depilatory cream on your legs, this will remove a percentage of the hair but not all.
    Apply lightly and leave for less than a minute and see what the effect is.
    If you have slightly less coverage leave it like this for a reasonable time and then do it again.
    Having a little less hair may not be noticeable to others and in the summer time when it comes again, try a little bit more at a time.
    Now is a good time to experiment as you can cover up and your SO might not even notice the first application.
    She may notice later and be accepting with a little bit of hair loss.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Just tell them some of your cycling friends recommended it, and now that you've tried it, you find it invigorating while cycling, and even swimming.

No one has ever said anything to me, but that doesn't mean someone won't ask you. Just smile while answering them. No fear.
    DonnaT

I'm sort of in the same boat... What I'm considering, because I openly dress up every halloween and I've never shaved my legs believe it or not and I want to try it, is to dress up again this year, but go all out. That will include shaving averywhere. But, what I'm counting on, is afterwards, I just keep shaving...because I found out I liked it! So my story would be...one year I dressed up in drag for halloween and I liked the way they felt so I never looked back...and I fit in when I go biking now!

One thing I have been doing in the last few years is to thin my arm and leg hair with electric clippers and I epilate my feet and hands. No one has said anything (except my doctor...because body hair loss is a symptom for somethings), but I like being less ape like and it works with a female or male image. I was considering going too far one day so that my wife would notice the stubble (she would complain about that) and I would make her happy by making them smooth... we will see...
    Chickie

Not much hair on my legs to start with. Shave them when it's no longer too hot to wear long pants. I wear shorts in the summer and there's so little hair on my legs it shouldn't matter. But I'm not ready to make it more obvious that I'm a CD. What next, plucking the eyebrows?

Platinum Member
    Marina, I don't think most people, including family, are all that likely to notice. And if they do, most likely everyone but your kids will keep the questions to themselves. I have been shaved smooth (like you I'm not all that hairy to begin with) for more than a decade. We spend time in the pool with our adult children and in laws as well as a number of friends. So far, not one soul has asked a single question about my lack of hair.

Most people really do not care. It takes only a month or so and people will be surprised if they see body hair

Smile

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to do this without telling my wife. I'm on the verge of asking her permission to try it for the Fall (until it's clear that I'm not cycling). I worry that presenting the request as a possible permanent change might spook her into thinking my dressing is evolving into something else (which it's not).

Yeah, getting one's wife to accept this can be tricky. My wife worried, but I explained no one would care, and she soon found that no one else seemed to care. She seemed to be the only person looking around to see if other guys shaved their legs, and again noticed that no one else cared.
    Last edited by DonnaT; 08-22-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    DonnaT

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinaKirax View Post
    Just to be clear, I'm not trying to do this without telling my wife. I'm on the verge of asking her permission to try it for the Fall (until it's clear that I'm not cycling). I worry that presenting the request as a possible permanent change might spook her into thinking my dressing is evolving into something else (which it's not).
    Sadly, there is nothing permanent about shaving leg hair - or anything else for that matter. Within a matter of weeks, its back just as nasty as ever.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinaKirax View Post
    Well ... I mean it's almost Fall, and you live in Canada ... who'se gonna be seeing your legs the next few months? I can't imagine it's gonna be shorts weather up there in October
    If your wife is on board, I couldn't see any reason not to!
    Last edited by Amy Fakley; 08-22-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: supid apostrophes ... still not sure it's right :-/
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

boy does this every sound familiar! I, too and toying with the notion but haven't gotten the nerve yet. I keep dancing around it, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

I say do it! Hair grows (back) anyways!

A bit of over thinking I believe.
    I thought the same things when I decided to shave. Turns out no one said a thing.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I too have yet to hear a single comment about my shaved legs and its been over a decade for me.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Marina,

Once you do it you will realise why women do it. It is a pain in the butt keeping them smooth so why would women do it? Answer - it feels awesome!

My answer to anyone asking why I do it (and nobody has) would be to ask them... have you never tried it? Then tell them - it is such a great feeling... try it!

As you say more guys are doing this these days... and it isn't just sport or CDing! It is becoming more socially acceptable.
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Do it, I did about 2 months ago and for the first day thought everyone was looking and noticing but nobody was really it was just me. I have a wife who I talked to before taking to the razor and son at home and he has not said a word. You will be fine and worst case it will all grow back.
    k

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I have been shaving mine for just about a year now. Not one word from anyone about it! I was actually shocked that nothing has been said.
    Once you shave your legs, you will never want to go back to hairy. I shave every day (I really enjoy shaving them, and I like them to be baby smooth all the time); it feels awesome!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

I have extremely dry skin and the dermatologist prescribed some lotion for it. It's hard to put any kind of lotion on your legs with hair on them, so I'm going to shave them soon.

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    Yes indeed
    Let them wonder
    I have been shaving for almost 2 years and letting my hair grow too.
    My kids just shake their heads and move one.
    its just crazy ole dad.
    in the mean time i am loving life!!
    Bobbi
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

Hi marina,
    I've been epilating my legs, arms, underarms for quite some time now. It lasts longer. I have a rather "masculine" job and noone has ever said anything to me, yet. My wife is very supportive though. And if any one ever asks I will just tell them something like "my wife likes it" or " we were just playing". Regardless, I will never go hairy again.