Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confrontation: Run or fight?

Confrontation: Run or fight?

katie_barns Posted a thread about an bad experience she had recently. Not to hijack her thread, I have made this one to ask what I would have over there.

You can read her thread here: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...willl-robinson

Are we really that feminine as CD's that we will always walk away, or run, from a confrontation from bigoted or holier than thou people?

Now, I believe that Katie did the right thing and walked away. I will always believe ,whether enfemme or not, that avoiding a confrontation is ALWAYS the best coarse of action but if everyone walks away doesn't this send the signal that they can continue this behavior at will? Continue to teach their kids wrong so they can keep the vicious cycle going?

As a closeted dresser, I personally don't have to worry about this sort of behavior at this point in time, but at some point I do want to go out and I may come across this very situation when I finally do.

How would I have handled this? I have always considered this part of my life as part of who I am as a whole person. I love dressing as a woman on a part time basis. I also love my male side and My male side wouldn't tolerate this behavior. Would my male side quickly become dominate?

I am not saying that I would start throwing fists but I surely would have had just as harsh of words as they had for Katie. If the man would have followed me out of the store I surely would have stopped and said "I wouldn't follow me much further, you'll limp back"

Would that have been wrong or would it have shown that as a CD We are not any lesser of a man?

Questions, questions, questions.....
    Last edited by ~Joanne~; 08-23-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Sometimes people are just looking for an excuse to hurt us. You're not going to change anyone's mind or gain anyone's respect by shoving a fist in their face or proving you're bigger than them by yelling louder. Also, if things got out of hand, there was no guarantee that anyone would have come to her aid. It could have even been the opposite. It could have been a mob against her.

"turn the other cheek" can mean lots of things. I think it can mean turn the other cheek and walk away.

i agree, its kind of the same with other things, bullying for example, sure tell the teachers/tutors about whats happening, walk away, but it comes to a point when that doesn't work, what then? just stand there and take abuse? Most of us can be civilized and do what is right but personally if i feel i've done all i can and it doesn't stop, especially if i feel threatened then i will take action and stand up for myself. Crossdresser or not it doesn't matter, at the end of the day we just want to do what we enjoy and i'm sure many would agree if all else fails then confrontation seems to be the only way to do it.

.a lot would depend on the actual situation i think . personaly i dont back down regardless of the odds etc but thinking it through it might be better to walk away than be in a cell looking like something the cat dragged in .

a bit off topic but thought i would mention that ive seen examples where a girl got into violent confrontation and ended it with a few swings of a highheel :-) .
    finaly trying to mind this poor body that ive been thrashing for years .

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    You have to pick your battles. Putting yourself in a situation where you could be hurt is silly and getting out of there is a good option. Being in a situation where you may be able to use your communication skills and confidence to change someone's behavior or mind may be worth sticking around for. But it's difficult to overcome years of prejudice in a 10 minute conversation and unless you are a MMA champ in heels, the fight may not be worth the principle involved.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I really don't know because like you said I don't go into places right now that would present a simular circumstance. I do know my temper and Fran is just an extention of me. The thing that made me think about how I would take a slightly different and more thoughtful reaction is, if I had reacted as normally I would we'd all be at the county jail, and that is not an option for me! So I would do my best to ignore the fools and go on either forward or in a puposeful retreat if they didn't put their paws on me. There is no telling what the news media would have to say about the outcome, but there would be a news worhty story in the aftermath and it wouldn't be pretty, should they lay hands on my person. Now that is not the way I would prefer coming out to the world, but hay Stuff (not my usual word) happens! Maybe I best stay with my routine and stay out in the truck at wally world while the Boss shops, and that's in either modes.
    Last edited by franlee; 08-23-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Joanne View Post
    I am not saying that I would start throwing fists but I surely would have had just as harsh of words as they had for Katie. If the man would have followed me out of the store I surely would have stopped and said "I wouldn't follow me much further, you'll limp back"

Hi Miss Joanne and others

You should told him to follow out to your car so that you wouldnt create an audience and busted him up
    that way when he goes back to his ol lady he can tell her that a woman beat him up

Thera

I would be tempted to stack the abuser but the law says......
    So turning the other cheek and wait for another day looks pretty reasonable to me.
    When children are involved, remember others might think you are a freak, or whatever.
    Paedophile springs to mind instantly.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I agree with Sarah.

I have a fuse which is so short that it scares even me!
    But I force myself to walk away. I have always thought afterwards that to have got into a fight would have been stupid. And I would probably have got hurt as well!!!!

SUZY

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    You have to pick your battles. Putting yourself in a situation where you could be hurt is silly and getting out of there is a good option. Being in a situation where you may be able to use your communication skills and confidence to change someone's behavior or mind may be worth sticking around for. But it's difficult to overcome years of prejudice in a 10 minute conversation and unless you are a MMA champ in heels, the fight may not be worth the principle involved.
    Funnily enough in a City not far from mine 2 guys were out dressed in drag and these guys grabbed one of their handbags or something......... the guys in drag were cage fighters. Theres a video online of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJqWi...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    unless you are a MMA champ in heels, the fight may not be worth the principle involved.
    The principle, in Katies case, was she did nothing wrong at all but was verbally attacked because she said "pardon me" and used manners. The father did the right thing at first till the mother came out of nowhere and started screaming like her children were the second coming of christ and that as a family they are better people than the rest of the world or that they have more rights than Katie does and that alone bothers me to no end.

that is where the problem lies with me and made me really think deeply about how I would have reacted in her situation. I don't think you need to be a MMA champ to defend yourself or your own rights. Heels or no heels, sometimes it may just come down to it and those making the most noise are usually the ones that can't back it.

I don't not condone violence but with some people, in some situations, it may come down to it. You'll defend yourself or we will read about how a crossdresser was killed by an angry family screaming faggot all the way and I don't want to read ANY story like that EVER.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

I've related this story before. Some years ago I was at my local LGBT resort sitting at the bar quietly having a drink. Some gay guy for whatever reason started razzing me and wouldn't stop, Finally I had enough of it and decided to leave. What happened is he decided to follow me to the parking lot. I finally had enough of it and grabbed him by the shirt and pushed him up against a car. I said: "Just what the hell is your problem?" He said: "nothing" in a somewhat wimpish voice as I don't think he expected me to do that. I said: "Good, so don't bother me again." and let him go. He slithered off back to whatever hole he came from.Bottom line is when en femme, I'm not afraid to invoke Rich's muscles if necessary. The goal is to resolve potential conflicts peacefully but when all else fails I'm definitely not afraid to defend myself or my friends.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I try and disarm the situation first with a smile. If that doesn't work I turn away but I don't leave. If that does not work and it is a public place (like Wal-mart in the other post) I will look for an employee. At that point I may walk away, to the security or management. I am not above dialing 911. So far I have never been beyond step 2.

If somehow it became physical (first the heels come off) I carry a super bight LED that I can shine in their eyes or add the weight as a weapon. Then I would run...like Forrest Gump. Again, I am not above dialing 911 and letting the authorities handle it.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Joanne View Post
    katie_barns Posted a thread about an bad experience she had recently. Not to hijack her thread, I have made this one to ask what I would have over there.

You can read her thread here: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...willl-robinson

Are we really that feminine as CD's that we will always walk away, or run, from a confrontation from bigoted or holier than thou people?

Now, I believe that Katie did the right thing and walked away. I will always believe ,whether enfemme or not, that avoiding a confrontation is ALWAYS the best coarse of action but if everyone walks away doesn't this send the signal that they can continue this behavior at will? Continue to teach their kids wrong so they can keep the vicious cycle going?

As a closeted dresser, I personally don't have to worry about this sort of behavior at this point in time, but at some point I do want to go out and I may come across this very situation when I finally do.

How would I have handled this? I have always considered this part of my life as part of who I am as a whole person. I love dressing as a woman on a part time basis. I also love my male side and My male side wouldn't tolerate this behavior. Would my male side quickly become dominate?

Would that have been wrong or would it have shown that as a CD We are not any lesser of a man?

Questions, questions, questions.....
    I agree that it is always best to avoid a confrontation lest it quickly spin out of control, but at the same time, I hate to see the bullies win just because they can.

But the smart bully will also keep in mind that females are not always as weak and vulnerable as they might appear to be on the surface. Standing their ground with a few choice words aimed at the bullies - especially when others are around - can often get them to back down. Many females have also taken self-defence courses in the martial arts, carry Mace or pepper spray, and some are even armed with handguns - well , in the US, anyway - so the bullies need to take this possibility into account as well.

In the case of us crossdressers, we not only have that awareness going for us, we are also typically taller and heavier than most GG's, so that makes us even more formidable as a potential adversary.

Bear in mind, too, that a well-aimed stiletto can cause a considerable amount of damage when pressed into service. And we crossdressers sure love our stilettos, right? .

Platinum Member
    I think that most people, TG or otherwise, are well advised to walk away from confrontations with boorish and belligerent people. This isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of maturity and good judgement.

There are few things sillier to me than the idea that a man is less of a man if he doesn't fight, or if he chooses to disengage from a confrontation. That's weak thinking, that's neanderthal thinking, and that's not intelligent thinking. And lets be frank: fighting or not, we're not going to change notions that some ignorant people have about us. Take the above example of the cage fighters vs the purse snatchers. Clearly, that fighters were not 'punked' in any sense of the word. Their physicality established their apparent manliness. However, some comments on youtube continue to refer to them derogatorily.

In Katie's case - what would have been the point? Those people were ignorant and obtuse. They were dealing with a problem in the only way that simple people can... through threats. Unless one of them had physically attacked her, there would have been no reason to fight. I doubt that stiff words would have ameliorated the situation either.

Another thing to consider with Katie's situation was the presence of children. People are quite protective around their offspring, and wrong or not, it's just a poor idea to push it around people with kids.

For me, I'll draw the line at being physically attacked. Anything less, I can walk away from, and I'll be left without a scar. Sometimes the elevated path is the best one to take. (:
    "She ain't waiting 'til she gets older, her feet are makin' tracks in the winter snow.
    She got a rainbow that touches her shoulder, she be headed where the thunder rolls."

-Van Halen, "Secrets"

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post

Bear in mind, too, that a well-aimed stiletto can cause a considerable amount of damage when pressed into service. And we crossdressers sure love our stilettos, right? .
    It's nice to keep in mind that we have a weapon on our feet lol Unless I am wearing my sling back, peep toe wedges, then it would be more of a slap lol then there is the do I want to ruin my hose dilemma lol

I agree Kali, walking away is ALWAYS the option, dressed or not. It will always be the route I take personally but if it becomes a situation where I am being touched, grabbed, pushed, or other.....I will certainly give back. I would never want to become a statistic or as Franlee pointed out, a news story at 6. Unless of coarse the news story is about a CD that defended herself
    Last edited by ~Joanne~; 08-23-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    I finally had enough of it and grabbed him by the shirt and pushed him up against a car. I said: "Just what the hell is your problem?" He said: "nothing" in a somewhat wimpish voice as I don't think he expected me to do that. I said: "Good, so don't bother me again." and let him go. He slithered off back to whatever hole he came from.Bottom line is when en femme, I'm not afraid to invoke Rich's muscles if necessary.
    Very ladylike behavior. Be glad it didn't backfire on you

If we choose to go out dressed eventually we'll find a hater. The best thing I would think would be to always avoid confrontation and walk away. I don't think we'll find many sympathesizers although I wish that was the case. The woman in Katie's case was the worst of the worst making a scene simply because Katie was read as a guy. The woman then spewed her hatred. I'm just glad it ended well for Katie.

Silver Member
    Unless one absolutely has to fight, it is always better to walk away. It just isn't worth the risk to oneself, even if it is justified. In katie's thread, it is obvious that once the parents opened their mouths they wanted to get into some sort of argument or fight because they didn't like trans people and wanted to prove some kind of point. I would not have given them the pleasure of a confrontation, even if they deserved it.

Don't forget that there were kids involved with Katie's encounter. If things got heated false accusations can lead to getting arrested. Been there!

It's always best to remain cool. Stand your ground when you can, but remain cool.
    DonnaT

Ha,,,Ha,,Ha,, Its not ME they need to worry about ? My wife is the mean one in my family ,, An I'm not talking about with words ? So if she was there ,,An 99% of the time she is ,,The aggresser wouldn't have a chance ,,,LOL,,, She dont take kindly to someone messing with her BITCH ! LOL,,,,, I would only chime in if she tagged me in,,, An it don't happen often . Its has to get realy serious to pull out the BIG GUNS ,,, LOL -------- Its a BIRD >>>>> Its a BEE >>>> No its STACY B !!!
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

I completely disagree with walking away from something like this.

Just because you weren't harmed by this guy doesn't mean that the next person won't be. Homophobia, Transphobia, whatever. He's not scared. He's an asshole and needs to be put in his place.

I'm 5'9", 180(ish) pounds and if you get in my face we're going to scrap. It doesn't matter if I'm wearing a dress, you're not going to make me feel like less of a person because you're an asshole.

And there is a weapon in my Prada bag to back me up if I need it.
    Last edited by Eryn; 08-23-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Sorry, had to Edit to conform to forum rules: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_content
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
    And there is a weapon in my Prada bag to back me up if I need it.
    You go girl,I like your way of thinking.

Thera
    Last edited by Eryn; 08-23-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Sorry, had to Edit to conform to forum rules: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_content

I am hopeless at physical fighting (however I am dressed) and very easily intimidated. I hardly ever go out dressed as a woman anyway, but if I did and felt threatened, I would probably just run (or totter) as fast away as possible.