Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is dating really this hard?

Is dating really this hard?

Hi all! Kinda new here, kinda not. I have a friend who met the love of her life on here and I am hoping to do the same. But I seem to have this problem...like banging my head against a wall!

I am a transwoman, and I am attracted to mostly other transwomen.(MTF 4 MTF) But am also attracted to pretty much anyone else as well. Pansexual? Just an MTF preference.

I live in San Diego and hit all the clubs. And YES I have put in my time at the SRO Lounge, so dont "let me know" about that place. Dont go there much anymore.

I have tried ALL of the dating sites and have posted on the dreaded craigslist more times than I can count. But have not had any really lasting results.

So, here is my question...I think? What am I doing wrong, and what should I try next? I have been told that I pass, though I am tall and I dont really care for my voice. I have not had bottom surgery but have had other procedures done.

Is this a good place to meet someone...gosh, just reading this I see how desperate I've become.

Any advice would be appreciated!

A to the B to the B to the Y

have you tried going to support group meetings? I know a couple of M2Fs that met at ours. generally speaking I'd say that is where you are most likely to meet (in person) other TS people.

I do I do go to a weekly meeting. And I used to go to a very trans friendly bar...though I did have a little falling out with the bartenders over there. So thats kinda out of the picture for now. We have a "no dating" policy at the group, but some of us...myself included, have kind of ignored that on occasion. I dunno, I was hoping there may be other places to meet like minded people that I havent already though of or been too. And the search continues.

Thank you for the Reply though!

You do not sound desperate, only like someone who is having the same problem most people are in meeting others.

I would personally throw away all the usual methods and approach meeting someone like you would approach an investment portfolio.

Wealth and relationships take time and energy to create because they have many of the same things in common.

You want to place yourself in the middle of where people are, the more people you regularly meet the greater the chance of meeting someone who you are interested in
    and they in you, it is a numbers game.

I have a strong interest in the arts and I have found there is a relationship between those who are artistic and who also fall on the LGBT spectrum along with the sciences and spirituality.

Get involved in your local arts community, take classes at the local college or tech school, join groups formed with the specific purpose of doing something like
    a sailing club, biking, walking, music lessons, ect...

Also it can be fun to take a job to place you where the people are not just to make money and the part times jobs often do this best if they are built around having fun.

I take people whitewater rafting and besides having fun
    and making money I meet people from all over the world
    and San Diego is perfect for something like this.

Put yourself in places so you will be noticed and it does not hurt if you like to entertain people because the true path to someones heart is laughter, not food or
    sex.

Clubs may work for sex but if you want love than you have to go where love is, out into the world.

Remember that every person you meet is a link to all the people they know, use the laws of six degrees separation to your advantage.
    Last edited by KellyJameson; 08-25-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Nice! Thank you for the post! I have been going to museums lately, but do tend to get bogged down in my house when not prodded! I agree with the more people you meet the greater the chances of meeting someone special. I just have a hard time implementing that. But I am working on it! PROMISE! Great suggestions on the work thing, since I am pounding the pavement at the moment. Thank you for the suggestions!

Banned Read only
    There are beautiful transsexual. They are really women and I wonder if even they would be interested in just a cross dresser? I would like to explore. what am I consider, gay, bi, pan-sexual? I am not attracted to men nor just men in a wig, No offense. I just would like some starting point and feedback. Thanks everyone

Kelly gave you some great suggestions. I agree that getting yourself out there doing the things that interest you, meeting and talking with complete strangers, not for dating, but just for the social aspect of it, will put you in front of many, many people. In the end, it becomes a numbers game, so the higher the numbers the better chance of success. Humor and a smile are also great ingredients to start and then keep a conversation going. From all those new faces that you meet, you will never know where it will lead you and what will happen. It is just another form of networking as you start to branch out into new and fun and different activity circles. I am always, I mean always looking for the person, a woman, to be the light of my life. So, I try to avoid focusing on the hunt, and concentrate on just having the best time possible whenever out and dressed and letting nature, Karma and Kismet happen if one of them is meant to happen. With that more go with the flow attitude, I have met a lot of women, actually mostly girls who I could easily love, in an older version. I have also met a few closer to my age who are so much fun to be with. Good luck

PS: Just like in real life away from this site, when meeting someone from this site, make it for friends only. If something is going to happen, it will. If it doesn't and you don't try to force it, you may just save yourself some very awkward and disappointing situations. I have met about 10 from this site and most are still close friends (i.e. no awkward moments on my part, yet!).
    Last edited by AllieSF; 09-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Silver Member
    Okay... you're transsexual and you're looking for a transsexual...

Double minority? Yeah, that's gonna be hard.

Rite? I have dated 3 transwomen in the last year, but nothing really worked out. Just looking for new places to meet people, and have received great suggestions on this thread!
    I'm a little bit shy, a bit strange, and a little bit manic...

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abby39 View Post
    Hi all! Kinda new here, kinda not. I have a friend who met the love of her life on here and I am hoping to do the same. But I seem to have this problem...like banging my head against a wall!
    I find that a good way to make friends in a new place (whether virtual like these fora or physical) is to try to get to know the people before sounding off at them and calling their personal experience rubbish.

Another way that I have found of making friends amongst a new group is to attempt to understand why they use certain terms (such as words which used by an outsider are derogatory but are applied by someone in the community to herself is a way of reclaiming the ground) rather than simply judge them because they use a term which has been offensive in the past.

Of course, I could be taking exactly the wrong approach and it might be better to insult the people you want to be the love of your life without trying to get to know them. If that works for you, good luck.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Banned Read only
    I don't know if dating is really hard. I have always had a date when I wanted one. Sure, just like anyone else there have been times when I had to sit home on a Friday night but not very often. Get out there and meet people. You never know when that one special one will pop into your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    have you tried going to support group meetings? I know a couple of M2Fs that met at ours. generally speaking I'd say that is where you are most likely to meet (in person) other TS people.
    Not that it would be impossible to find someone at a support group, I dare to say that most of these groups are not intended to be hook-up places. How one goes about participating in such a group would be very important if their sole goal is to find a romantic partner.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Platinum Member
    My advice would be to broaden your horizons. Meet lots of people through work, social and support groups, and on line venues. Then be open to what happens.

You dont say a lot about your approach, just your venues. I kind of think there might be something in your demeanor which moves too quickly perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post
    You dont say a lot about your approach, just your venues. I kind of think there might be something in your demeanor which moves too quickly perhaps?
    GUILTY! I am definitely one of those "instant gratification" people. I do have a hard time waiting for the natural progression of romance and intimacy. It is a fault I am aware of, one of many, and I know it has ruined a relationship or 12.

I dunno. It's hard to change old habits.

The 1st mistake you are making is labeling yourself and trying only those lime you. Why not just let people get to know you the person. It works every time.

Just call Me: "W - O - M - A - N"

As King said: "I'm free at last, I'm free at last.
    Thank God Almighty I'm free at last!"

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Traci Elizabeth View Post
    The 1st mistake you are making is labeling yourself and trying only those lime you. Why not just let people get to know you the person. It works every time.
    That's how I met my man. I had sworn of dating until I transition and I was just hanging out with my friends. Whadda ya know, I got a crush on a friend of a friend that I would see often, and he was crushing on me too. Next thing I knew, I was in the midst of cuddly datey time I never thought I would date an FTM, but I'm sure glad I didn't let dating blinders keep me from seeing him!

Gold Member
    Don't feel too bad about having a hard time dating.
    Well like for me, i get offers but it is always the nasty creeps who I would prefer to not associate with, and that is pretty bad seeing how my standards are not real high.
    I would prefer to date women but I realize the chances of that happening are slim to none.

What I find disheartening though is I see some really hideous Ts out there who are with GG's and I never get a chance even though I have all my hair and a trim waist instead of being bald and fat.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Traci Elizabeth View Post
    Oh I dont JUST try dating people like me, trans. Though I do feel more comfortable with them. I have had relationships with cis men and women. Just trying to find new and exciting ways of meeting people. Off to the museum today. Maybe there???

Quote Originally Posted by Bree-asaurus View Post
    That's how I met my man. I had sworn of dating until I transition and I was just hanging out with my friends. Whadda ya know, I got a crush on a friend of a friend that I would see often, and he was crushing on me too. Next thing I knew, I was in the midst of cuddly datey time I never thought I would date an FTM, but I'm sure glad I didn't let dating blinders keep me from seeing him!
    I do have a huge crush on a genderqueer friend of mine. Like giant. But they are moving soon, so I dont want to risk loosing them as a friend if they are not going to be around anyway.

I'm still so new to all of this that I can't offer any advice beyond what other people have said (and even then in a very general way). But I did want to throw in my two cents in that I find the same kind of problems. Clubs and the bar scene are very intimidating/meat markets here in Hollywood and I find an element of creepiness to dating websites (no offense meant to anyone who uses them, your actual mileage may vary). So, at the very least there's others with these same difficulties

Banned Read only
    Not to hijack this thread but nice picture in your avatar GrayGirl. Are you sure your not GG?

Banned Read only
    The problem is you are "fishing" in a VERY small pond. More like a nearly dried up mudpuddle. Not just talking about this ite or any of the clubs you have frequented either.

Even with all the regular Dating sites out there, one has to really work at meeting others and I am fortunate enough to live in a giant fishbowl.

What it really comes down to is "preferences". We all have them. Yours will simply make finding a partner that much harder, but at least you have HOPE firsthand since you actually know someone who found success.

Without seeing one of your profiles, it simply is not possible to tell you where you might be "going wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but nice picture in your avatar GrayGirl. Are you sure your not GG?
    (Also not wanting to hijack but such a nice compliment deserves a public thank you)
    Maybe the nicest thing that anyone's ever said to me! Thank you so much
    ---
    Danielle Grey
    http://www.facebook.com/graygirl83
    Yahoo: graygirl1983

Quote Originally Posted by abby39 View Post
    GUILTY! I am definitely one of those "instant gratification" people. I do have a hard time waiting for the natural progression of romance and intimacy. It is a fault I am aware of, one of many, and I know it has ruined a relationship or 12.

I dunno. It's hard to change old habits.
    Change that habit, pronto!! Live in the current moment! If you meet someone, then enjoy the meeting for what it is, not what it possibly may be in the future.

Everyone says they don't like to play games, but there are some patterns - like what happens when you first meet someone and get to know them, go on casual dates and such - which let them know that you are respectful, rational, and know how to behave in social situations. Not knowing that stuff is a bit of a warning sign that a person may have some distance and control issues. I am not saying that you do - but, warning signs.

Try to remember that if they're the right person, they will still be the right person if it takes a few weeks extra to get to know them!

Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post
    Change that habit, pronto!! Live in the current moment! If you meet someone, then enjoy the meeting for what it is, not what it possibly may be in the future.

Everyone says they don't like to play games, but there are some patterns - like what happens when you first meet someone and get to know them, go on casual dates and such - which let them know that you are respectful, rational, and know how to behave in social situations. Not knowing that stuff is a bit of a warning sign that a person may have some distance and control issues. I am not saying that you do - but, warning signs.

Try to remember that if they're the right person, they will still be the right person if it takes a few weeks extra to get to know them!

Correctomundo! Every time I try to meet someone it goes bad. I think from my unrealistic expectations and "predicting the future" too soon. Then I get a reality slap and I'm back to square one. EXAMPLE: I was...let me rephrase...I WAS just chatting with someone I met and he seemed really cool. Said all the rite things...or the things I guess I wanted to hear. Then when we decided to go out he started asking, "Can you wear a blonde curly wig and a lot of makeup for me?" yeahhhhhhhhhhhh......not happening. I'm not a drag queen or a real-doll...sorry Charlie Brown..

I should just go back to NOT LOOKING....the last 3 people I dated I was NOT LOOKING for. Hmmm, I know its cliche, but maybe I'm better off not looking....I seem to have better luck that way!