Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unexpected Benefits of Dressing...

Question The Unexpected Benefits of Dressing...

Here's a topic I think about from time to time:

What unexpected positives has dressing brought about in your life? I'm not really thinking of things like "It makes me happy," or "It gets me in touch with my feminine side" - although, if you didn't expect these things, then I guess they qualify. When I ponder this question, I'm thinking of stuff that I was pleasantly surprised to discover along the way. For example...

-Because I am a crossdresser, I waste less money on junk food. This is a two-fold benefit. Not only am I less likely to buy unhealthy food because I want to continue to fit into all of the clothes I have, but I've also applied a simple rule to any luxury food purchases: I always ask myself "Would I rather have this (Taco Bell/Bag of Cheetos/Carton of Ice Cream), or would I rather spend this money on (Lipgloss/Pumps?Dresses)? Being on a budget, it's an easily self-moderated conversation.

-Because I crossdress, I find it easier to go to the gym regularly. Again, I'm motivated by my desire to look the best I can, and continue to fit into the clothes I have. Also, there are always women there that inspire me to keep working hard to look good, like them.

-Because I crossdress, I've learned how to sew. I don't mean quilting or anything. I just mean when buttons pop and stitches separate, I can't exactly ask my mom to fix my new dress. So I had to learn some basics in an area that I, quite frankly, never would have ventured into had it not been for my hobby.

These are just a couple that come to mind off the top of my head. Has anyone else encountered benefits that they totally didn't expect, but have come to enjoy nonetheless??
    Last edited by GeminaRenee; 08-26-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    "She ain't waiting 'til she gets older, her feet are makin' tracks in the winter snow.
    She got a rainbow that touches her shoulder, she be headed where the thunder rolls."

-Van Halen, "Secrets"

Cross dressing has helped me be a cleaner and more caring person!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Makeup addict!
    I feel crossdressing has made me a better man and I feel like I understand women better

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katiegal View Post
    I feel crossdressing has made me a better man and I feel like I understand women better
    Yes; I second that, and add that I am more caring to the other side of the gender gap.
    I see Girls as something better than just a sexual attraction. I see them as a special
    people with great needs and the ability to love.
    Rader

Crossdressing has made me feel good about myself. I excersise, watch what I eat and ride my bicycle frequently to stay in shape. As I am getting older I find these things are necessary to keep a nice shape for my feminine clothes. Looking good takes a lot of work

It has helped learn to control my anger better

Quote Originally Posted by RADER View Post
    I see Girls as something better than just a sexual attraction. I see them as a special
    No offense but, it took crossdressing to make you realize these things?
    Last edited by GeminaRenee; 08-26-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    "She ain't waiting 'til she gets older, her feet are makin' tracks in the winter snow.
    She got a rainbow that touches her shoulder, she be headed where the thunder rolls."

-Van Halen, "Secrets"

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KaliBrooke View Post
    Here's a topic I think about from time to time:

What unexpected positives has dressing brought about in your life? I'm not really thinking of things like "It makes me happy," or "It gets me in touch with my feminine side" - although, if you didn't expect these things, then I guess they qualify. When I ponder this question, I'm thinking of stuff that I was pleasantly surprised to discover along the way. For example...

-Because I am a crossdresser, I waste less money on junk food. This is a two-fold benefit. Not only am I less likely to buy unhealthy food because I want to continue to fit into all of the clothes I have, but I've also applied a simple rule to any luxury food purchases: I always ask myself "Would I rather have this (Taco Bell/Bag of Cheetos/Carton of Ice Cream), or would I rather spend this money on (Lipgloss/Pumps?Dresses)? Being on a budget, it's an easily self-moderated conversation.

-Because I crossdress, I find it easier to go to the gym regularly. Again, I'm motivated by my desire to look the best I can, and continue to fit into the clothes I have. Also, there are always women there that inspire me to keep working hard to look good, like them.

-Because I crossdress, I've learned how to sew. I don't mean quilting or anything. I just mean when buttons pop and stitches separate, I can't exactly ask my mom to fix my new dress. So I had to learn some basics in an area that I, quite frankly, never would have ventured into had it not been for my hobby.

These are just a couple that come to mind off the top of my head. Has anyone else encountered benefits that they totally didn't expect, but have come to enjoy nonetheless??
    Interesting, Kali! Many of the things about dressing that have changed u have done the same to me! I've also learned a little about sewing.

However, I eat MORE fast food than I used to because I now eat healthier, less filling dinners with no beer.

I quit the gym when I got serious about dressing. I'm flabbier but weigh less and have less muscle definition now.

By and large the GREATEST THING that has happened since I began dressing was coming out here. And, meeting online and in person, some of the most interesting and amazing "men" and former men, that I have in all my life!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Controlling anger and treating other people better.
    Treat myself better too.
    I have been able to be more understanding of others life styles.Much less prone to judge people based on what they look like on the outside.

I'm an airline captain and most flight attendants are female. I have a better understanding of what they go through in day to day life. Dressings up, wearing dresses and skirts, fancy pumps, pantyhose and stockings, men making comments and hitting on them. I often wish I could bring my stuff on my trips and spend some dress up time with them but not going to happen. My professional life is going to stay professional.

This is a intresting topic and I have been trying to think of something to add.
    it just hit odd but it saved my life and my marriage. When I purged for a long time I whent in to a deep depression. Which almost killed me and made life with me hell for everyone around me. By coming out and getting back to my self I'm happy agen
    Always remimber life is what you make it.
    So make it Beautiful.

Love Ashley Dawn
    http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/ashley...00004093583692

Hello Kali, One of the benefits for myself has definitely been in my diet. Have lost about 40 pounds since embracing this part of me. Not so much of having the extra money by not buying junk food, but more of a "how will I look in this skirt?" thing.
    Betty

I have come to regard my being transgendered and a crossdresser as a gift, and through it being able to experience life in a way that would not have been possible if only viewed through a male lens. Kind of like being able to see the world in 3D as opposed to in only two dimensions...

I also see it as a condition that is similar to being bilingual and/or bi-cultural, which I also happen to be. Both of these factors expand one's horizons immeasurably, allow one to truly get "inside" the other world as a participant rather than just an observer, and provides the individual with a perspective that makes them far more well-rounded than the average person.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    So things like 40lb weight loss in 10 weeks (about half way to target)? My absolute motivation is to look better en femme.

Cross dressing has helped me understand my self and women better.
    I feel like my self and at peace when I am dressed up.
    Mistybtm

Before I dressed. I was thinking how good it would feel to get up in her. Now I look at her shoes, sholders, waist and hair. It is very plain as far as dressing goes. sandels, caprees, T shirt, hair bunched up, WTF. So the Benefit is I look at woman diferently. It's a good thing.
    Last edited by Davena Doll; 09-23-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RADER View Post
    Yes; I second that, and add that I am more caring to the other side of the gender gap.
    Rader
    You need to know Rader's background to see he has reformed.
    I feel I have a better understanding of women and the three boys in my life I saw turn into very attractive women.
    Their moods, wants, views on life, deciding boys were probably good company.
    No I am not gay but receptive to others problems especially the ones that transitioned.
    They drove me mad until they got to where they were going.
    The answer to the question, I am sure I am a better person because of it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by susangirl View Post
    I'm an airline captain and most flight attendants are female. I have a better understanding of what they go through in day to day life. Dressings up, wearing dresses and skirts, fancy pumps, pantyhose and stockings, men making comments and hitting on them. I often wish I could bring my stuff on my trips and spend some dress up time with them but not going to happen. My professional life is going to stay professional.
    I'm reading this thread with great interest, and I just want to say that in my younger years I worked in an office and wore makeup, skirt suits or dresses, hose, and heels every day. I was in my 20s and also got hit on. But I have to say that wearing these things didn't take any effort. It was just routine for me and frankly after I got dressed in the morning I just forgot what I had on. Also it wasn't all that difficult to deflect men who came on to me, whether I smiled at them or ignored them. Very few were insistant to the point of rudeness, in fact I can't remember any bad experiences. I'm saying this because you mentioned "what we go through" and really, it is no big deal when you dress like that all the time, just like men who get used to wearing ties and jackets, and because they look so nice they have women smile at them a lot.

-------------------

I also have a general comment about getting hit on or seeing women as sexual objects. I suppose nowadays, it is politically incorrect for a man (or a CDer) to come on to a woman else it might be considered sexual harassment in the workforce at least, but men and women have been sexually attracted to each other and have come on to each other throughout the ages! Some people say this is what makes the world go 'round. You know, the birds and the bees and all that. I know that after a certain age this decreases somewhat, but unless someone is creepy, a woman enjoys being appreciated just as much as a man does.

I should think it would be frustrating for a young, single girl to be in a room full of CDers who are more interested in what she is wearing or being her best friend, than her potential for a romantic or sexual attraction. Yes, we want to be respected and all and we certainly don't want to be treated as wh*res, but we also don't want men (or CDers) to treat us like our girlfriends treat us!
    Last edited by ReineD; 08-27-2012 at 02:17 AM.
    Reine

Aspiring Member
    When I get dressed up, it's like being transported into another world. The nylons, the silks, the click of my high heels, all send me to a place where I love to go and be the inner me, the female side, the soft and sexy side. A completion of my whole personna.
    It's very much like a drug where nothing else enters and I can just enjoy the feelings. It's an escape from the real world, if only for a short time.

Other than looking better.... I can't think of any big advantage in my life.... any small advantages don't come close to negating the disadvantages..... for me... imho....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Platinum Member
    Hi Kali, Being a lady has made me a better man.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Katiegal View Post
    That's it in a nutshell.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I should think it would be frustrating for a young, single girl to be in a room full of CDers who are more interested in what she is wearing or being her best friend, than her potential for a romantic or sexual attraction. Yes, we want to be respected and all and we certainly don't want to be treated as wh*res, but we also don't want men (or CDers) to treat us like our girlfriends treat us!
    I loved reading your reply to this thread. Men and women instinctively interact with members of the opposite sex differently than they do members of their own sex. They may be hitting on them but also they may simply be engaging in innocent flirting with no ulterior motives. Today's hyper awareness of harrassment issues has made both men and women a bit more reluctant to engage in such non threatening activities.

I find that one of the major advantages to getting old is the increased ability to innocently "flirt" with women such as sales clerks, wait staff, medical assistants and so on, and to have them reciprocate and even initiate such exchanges. That rarely happened when I was younger.

Here's to being a geezer.

Veronica

Its help me control my anger .i also see i can have emotions and still be ok .i can talk about things more.

Platinum Member
    My feeling is that if one gains a degree of self acceptance by coming to terms with being a cross dresser, then that will spill over into other aspects of life. To the extent that CDing motivates a person to adopt a healthier lifestyle, reduces frustration levels or eliminates bouts of anger,then CDing is a positive force. In my case, acheiving a level of self acceptance has positively impacted on my behavior in a number of ways. In particular, I have grown more tolerant of the idiosyncracies of others and less frequently exhibit childish temper tantrums.