Thread: Lgb...t?

Lgb...t?

Here in Manchester, we're famed for friendliness, tolerance and the thriving gay village which is safe for all sorts and all comers, even trans. Pride weekend rolls around and I have a blast, the only thing is, I saw loads of L, loads of G, even some B, but my question is where was the T!? Don't get me wrong, it was amazing, i met some beautiful people with beautiful attitudes and by and large people were very accepting of me and were happy to treat me as anyone else, the curious ones asked questions, the shy ones stole glances and the ones that didn't want to know were happy to leave me to it. Essentially though, i was hoping to see more trans people out and about and enjoying the area of the city which is super safe for us, i just hope that if you were there and i didn't see you, that you had an absolute blast. So i guess all i'm wondering is, are we generally not welcome at what is seen as a primarily gay event, perhaps we need to make ourselves more visible? We are who we are, it took me a long time to get there, but this year at Manchester pride, i was proud to represent the T.

x Flic x

The fact of the matter is that most "T" choose to stay in their homes rather than go out to explore what this wonderful world of ours has to offer.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Aspiring Member
    Unfortunate as it may be, aside from the general public who may attend these parades for a variety of reasons ranging from curiosity to outright support, the vast majority of the actual participants are gay. When we attend or participate as our femme selves, by association we tend to reaffirm the stereotype that all crossdressers are also gay. We have no way of knowing how many crossdressers are actually present and being supportive, but dressed as men in order to avoid "outing" themselves incorrectly as gay. When you add this point to the one mentioned by Sara Jessica, that the majority of crossdressers are still closeted in any event, it is not suprising that there does not appear to be much of a "T" presence.

I am so happy to hear that you were out and representing us with the other represented groups, it must have truly been a fantastic experience for you. I cannot understand why you observed so few of us girls as I have always seen a reasonable representation at the Pride events I have attended. This is not to say that an overwhelming majority of the participants are T, but there have always been more than a few.
    I for one, and I can only speak for myself, am always out and about and do not live in my home nor in my closet. Being pre op, with intentions of transitioning in the near future, I would find it a waste not to experience everything this world has to offer.
    Sara, I have to disagree with you concerning your comment "The fact of the matter is that most "T" choose to stay in their homes rather than go out to explore what this wonderful world of ours has to offer. " I would agree that many CDs remain at home or in their closets mainly due to lack of confidence, but all of the "T" girls that I know are fully out and about.

I must admit I would have to think twice going to a local LGBT rally.
    I have been to a couple in drab and that was only to support a friend. A bit of losing the bet syndrome.
    Had a good time, no one patted me on the bum.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Maybe it is just that most TS are at least trying not to be visble? If I wanted to be a woman, I think when I went out I'd be doing my damndest to appear as a woman?
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Platinum Member
    Maybe they were there but just blended in. If I marched in a Pride parade, I'd happily be mistaken for a Lesbian

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica27 View Post
    When we attend or participate as our femme selves, by association we tend to reaffirm the stereotype that all crossdressers are also gay.
    I looked into the pride fest here in my town. And the entertainment seems to all be from the drag queen genre. Even some of the stars from the reality drag race tv show host the event. But it seems to be all about the gay experience, and not about trans. I would love to attend all dolled up, but I really don't think I would fit in.

btw, in the lgbt&q,,,,,,, I'm the & between the t & q.
    I just couldn't wear my big girl panties today.

I guess so Hon but it has to be a personal choice to get more involved or become an activist.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Nicole, you might disagree but I would offer that at the very least, 51% of those who are trans-whatever don't venture out. Hence my use of the word "most". Perhaps I should have said "majority" but either way, I think finding an elusive species in a rainforest is easier than spotting one of our tribe in a public non-trans setting. I have seen one in the last 5 years or so and trust me, I'm-a-lookin'. Either we're all passing with flying colors, our numbers are tiny or my little guesstimate might be on the money.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

It would be interesting to know if the T are the invisible majority or a minority
    in relation to the LGB.

For myself I'm shy and reserved so become uncomfortable in crowds and watch from a distance.

Plus the T is more about gender rights than sexual and partner legal rights even though these rights or lack of them touch us as well.

Gender is not a "cause" because for most it is not a problem but restricted sexual
    expression touches everyone.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="4"]I went to the Seattle Pride parade this year for my first time. I was dressed well.

Unlike so many CD's, I'm retired now, living alone, and have nothing to lose any more if I'm recognized or "made". It just no longer makes any difference.

I have no idea of the real percentage of "closeted" CD's to those who are free to dress and go out anywhere they please must be something like 80%. I remember well those days 15 years ago when fear ruled my passion for CDing.
    [/SIZE]

I have been to our local Pride Festival dressd. The local Transgender group even has a booth. But I must agree that there were few actually T's walking around. [That or they pass extremely well]. I even looked for such and found few. I tend to agree that most T say home to avoid being linked as G.

Oh my, don't get me started on this.

I will say I attended our local pride festival for the first time this summer. I did see a number of crossdressers, some were quite apparent and obviously dressed for effect. But I would bet that there were alot of people there who wanted to blend: I know I surely did. I went with a friend from work and she is frequently taken for a "dude" in the clubs...believe me, I don't see how that is possible. So, don't trust so much in appearances.

The T were all Sparkled out.

I was present to the pride in Manchester and it was lovely! There was a few of us around which i have spotted but also, there were so many people everywhere that was quite hard to look for T's

Most of our community will prefer to attend sparkle as it aimed at the transgendered.

There are some who do attend pride but we are really outnumbered.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

The one Pride Parade that I was able to be in this past Summer didn't have a whole lot of T's in it.I was there with a bunch of performing "dragons" that certainly"stole the show" as we all walked along handing out "party favors"..lol Most all of the T's that I encountered afterwards were those that I had met at other events[First Event]etc. Anyway,most importantly,when I happened to mention to some of Rogina's GG friends,they were" amazed and stunned" that I would be so "on stage" at a "PRIDE" event..Meaning...you might be mistaken for GAY!!! So even the seemingly accepting,sometimes aren't. Just what I've experienced in New England.

We're still in the minority for sure, but it's great you were representing!! I know the club I go to we're usually heavily outnumbered but we certainly do shine!

maybe the t was so convinceable you didnt notice? lol

I wonder what Brian Epstein would have thought of us T's?

I'm a Beatles fanatic, just in case you didn't notice. The poor lad died in 1967.

How are you going to march in a parade in those 6" spiked heels everyone raves about?

The few times I've been out, I did my best to look like a normal woman and blend in. If you were far enough away, you wouldn't have known I was a crossdresser.

So, there might have been dozens or hundreds there, you just didn't notice.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda