Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The word Panties

Knickers. But I'm British.
    My Dad only gave me 2 pieces of advice regarding sex & relationships- and one was, 'never trust a girl who chucks her knickers on the floor'.

and this is why some people call the unmentionables. I don't call them, I have to go find them myself
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Panties works for me although I seldom wear them unless they are thongs, usually though pantyhose dsoes the trick for me. I like the smooth no panty look under tight skirts.

On the western shores of Puget Sound across from Seattle, Washington
    I love both the word and the article of clothing! The word panty is so inherently feminine. I researched the word's history and here is what I found:
    According to Webster, panties is the diminutive of the word pants, used to describe the underwear worn by women and girls. The word is an Americanism and has its roots as far back as 1835–45.
    It has only been a relatively short duration in history that people began wearing underwear. In fact modern panties’ ancestor, the bloomer, was born when our ancestors sewed up the leg of the chemise—a distant relation of the slip. The history of panties starts with the story of bloomers. The bloomer's chaste appearance can be deceiving though, they were crotch-less. The original purpose was modesty – covering up as much of the female form as possible. As hens are to the eggs so to bloomers are to panties. Typically bloomers are a divided garment to cover the lower part of women. The first ones were the brainchild of Elizabeth Miller but Amelia Bloomer made it popular during the 1850’s. These were long baggy pants ending at the ankles. It was largely influenced by the East and often came to be called the ‘Syrian’ style. In the late 18th century the bloomers got two other nametags – knickers and knickerbockers. Women wore them during sports events during those days of Victorian modesty. From the 1920’s bloomers began to get short as the hemline of skirts began to rise and importance came to be given from what peeped out from under them. Bloomers transitioned to a sleeker, shorter style similar to boy shorts. These original panties were made from silk or artificial silk called rayon. After that nylon came to be use.
    It wasn't until the 1950s that shorter dress fashions necessitated the arrival of the next version of panties. This post-war period saw an outburst of female modesty dominated by the bra-panty culture. Somehow freedom for women and women’s rights became mixed up with exposure of the exquisite female form. Hence the urgency to establish and advertise this new iteration of the garment aggressively! Another explanation is that the post-WWII period saw a boom in business, advertising and women's fashion. Vanity Fair was a leader in this movement and the catalyst for panty sales and widespread acceptance began. That styling was what is now referred to as the "granny panty", it was high on top, low on the sides and made of breathable cotton. Materials again transitioned to silk, rayon and nylon well into mid-century. It wasn't until the 80s that newcomer Victoria's Secret began capitalizing on the Brazilian style thong. It marked the end of the panty as a bastion of womanhood.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Shakespeare was not talking about panties, but the point is that there is something about that word for many of us. In my case, I have noted that my wife never uses the word, panties, but uses the word underwear. I tend to say undies around her, but the sexual overtone to the word, panties, is deffinately there for me.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Somewhere out there, beneath the pale moonlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by VANESSA1976 View Post
    So do they use the word panties in the states more than in the UK ?
    Apparently. As I said earlier, nobody says "knickers" in the States -- not in conversation and not in advertising/product identification. (So it's similar to other British vs. American differences such as Lift vs. Elevator or Flat vs. Apartment -- or even the States vs. America or the U.S.)

As others have mentioned, terms used in Ameica include:
    - Panties (applied to female undergarments only)
    - Underwear (applied to men's or women's undergarments, and even as someone said to such other items as bras, t-shirts and camisoles)
    - Underpants (can be men's or women's)
    - Unmentionables (women's -- a carryover from Victorian-type modesty)
    - Lingerie (again, for women's items only and inclusive of other articles, such as bras)
    - Undies. This typically will have either a feminine or a childish connotation to it.

Interestingly, that last comment reminds me of something I saw a few years back, though I cannot recall where. Comedian Amy Poehler said she objected to the word "panties" because as a diminutive of pants applied to women's clothing only, it infantalizes (a word I'm certain she chose carefully) women, treating them as less-than-equal to men. Given her comment, I find it interesting how many here have said the word "panties" carries a sexual tone for them.
    Last edited by ColleenA; 08-31-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    If only our families and friends could be as supportive as our bras!

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Yep, knickers is a very British term for girls underwear, and I wear knickers. However, because of the predominantly US membership here I have used panties in my posts etc. It does sound strange to Brits because panties is not part of our everyday lexicon.....it is a stateside term. Sidewalk / path, boardwalk / pier etc etc etc.

I sound like the King of Siam (Yul Brynner)......if any of you are old enough to remember this

Rebecca x
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

As a Scottish person, my understanding of the word 'knickers' comes from the Edwardian name knickerbockers for trousers; knee-length or below-kneelength outerwear pants (elasticated at the calves, or 'elasticized' across the Pond) worn by really bold women cyclists of the day. Women who dared to wear trousers were truly frowned upon back then. The name was then shortened to 'knickers' which in general terms were silk or even common everyday cotton thigh-length or calf length underwear long enough to cover stocking tops.

As the years passed the 'legs' got shorter, until the elastication was well up the thigh. Then it disappeared completely and we were introduced to open-legged and much healthier French knickers. With the passage of time even the legs of the French-style knickers got shorter, until the name 'knickers' could really no longer apply. That is when the American description 'panties' (mini pants) or relatively miniscule pants, came to the fore. In the UK women's panties are still referred to as 'knickers', but by no stretch of the imagination are they truly knickers. That had long gone by the 1940s when women were wearing legless panties, over stockings with suspender belts (garter belts). Can you imagine a guy sliding his hand under a skirt to be met by knickers extending beyond her garters and almost down to her knees? The UK and the US are truly two countries 'divided by a common language'. Knickers? Naw, that description must be long gone, although commercial traders in the UK still refer to them as such. Legless women's 'underwear', as some of our more conservative American friends call them with or without elasticated legholes, are panties! By no stretch of the imagination can a modern pair of nylon or satin panties be called knickers. They are not knickerbockers. They don't cover your suspenders, if you wear such things. They are panties. End of story.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy_G View Post
    Knickers? Naw, that description must be long gone, although commercial traders in the UK still refer to them as such. Legless women's 'underwear', as some of our more conservative American friends call them with or without elasticated legholes, are panties! By no stretch of the imagination can a modern pair of nylon or satin panties be called knickers. They are not knickerbockers. They don't cover your suspenders, if you wear such things. They are panties. End of story.
    If Ann Summers is a commercial trader (are we inferring out of date) then they are still knickers. http://www.annsummers.com/c/lingerie/knickers-briefs

In England, they are still knickers, panties is the US word I'm afraid. I have never heard a single GG in the UK call them panties and I've just canvassed my young nieces, 17 and 19 and they don't call them panties. They thought that hilarious, as Im sure knickers is strange to the US.....so knickers is it!

Rebecca x

Rebecca x
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

I call them panties. My wife who sometimes washes them and puts them away (God bless her) still calls them underwear.

Beth
    Oh, how I wish....

Quote Originally Posted by Serana View Post
    HA HA HA! It's my favourite word! XD And the japanese equivalent is awesome!

I certainly use this word for describing my underwear, I find it such a cute and adorable term for them XD;
    It's only creepy if you let it be creepy IMO, and so long as you're trying to have a more innocent mind you shouldn't have to worry about such a thing~.

Though there are those creepy undertones about them that makes me laugh a bit. But it's a nice word all the same. ;D

Seri-chan~
    Okay, quit reading my mind! No, but seriously, for me the term panties brings to mind frilly and 'feminine' styles - and slightly creepy/naughty. When a woman says 'underwear' it makes me thing of not so feminine things. I know it is just me, but hey, you all should know by now that I have a 'few' hang-ups.

Rebecca. I agree the Ann Summers organisation is a commercial trader, or perhaps more accurately a commercial trading corporation. But does that organisation really refer to them as knickers? They may well do, to stir the wantonness of their audience at house parties but, as far as I can tell, they talk more descriptively about thongs and briefs, boy shorts and such. In London and the Home Counties you may still use the antiquated 'knickers' description, but I very much doubt whether that word is still used by the general populace elsewhere in the UK. It seems to be an outdated description from a hundred years ago. But it doesn't really matter. These days a delicious pair of soft nylon or silky briefs are panties, whether they be ruffled tennis wear or plain satiny everyday bum-huggers. I cannot imagine a pair of colourful hip-hugging sheer nylon or satin and lace bikini or hipster briefs being anything other than 'panties'. They're not big enough to be old-fashioned 'bloomers' or knickers. It may well be an Americanism, but a pair of masculine flannel or corduroy trousers in the UK would still be 'pants' on the other side of The Pond. As I recall, men's denim jeans back here used to be called dungaree trousers. It is a matter of opinion, and please don't take this to heart. My observations are meant to be light hearted.

The word Panties has some sexual connotation to me and I love it. I don't have a SO at this time, so that doesn't apply here. Being from the USA I would only say knickers if I were doing a British impression. Thank you John Lennon for introducing the word to us yanks in I am the Walrus. The history of panties & knickers in posts 29 and 33 is fascinating.

Many don't like it, but I love the word panties. Underwear gives me the picture of plain cotton hipsters, but when I hear panties I think satin, lace, spandex, colour, ....

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Quote Originally Posted by ColleenA View Post
    And nobody says knickers in America. Same language at its foundation, but big differences in its utilization.
    Agreed there, only time this country ever used knickers was referring to mens golfing trousers of the '20's that were toucked into their high knee socks.( Bobby Jones) Looked stupid.
    But all dept stores in my state use the printed word 'panties" on their display counters and racks in the lingerie depts.

Panties or what ever you want to call them I Love them. my SO and myself share and she calls them panties also. How sexy they make us feel. I also say good nitie to her every night. One time we were tubeing behind the boat and a friend of mine lost his shorts very funny, anyway next time I took him tubing I asked him if he had his panties on in case he lost his shorts. Everyone just laughed even though I had mine on. Don't go without a clean pair of panties.

I could be totally wrong but I believe the word "panties" is a shortened and feminized version of pantaloons. Pantaloons were trousers worn by men in the 1700s and 1800s. In the late 1800s women usually wore knee length or longer undergarments under their ankle length skirts or dresses. Those undergarments were also referred to as pantaloons, as styles changed and undergarments became shorter, the feminized word became panties.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

I love the word panties because this word brings me back to my youth and its feminine connotation.

I like the word Undies ....lacy undies , satin undies , frilly undies, panties I use for cotton Panties ..
    To thine ownself be true.
    Put out into the universe what you would like to receive in return, because it comes back like a boomerange in 3 fold!

Silver Member
    How about briefs, bikini, drawers?

Quote Originally Posted by lingerieLiz View Post
    How about briefs, bikini, drawers?
    Lol and we say drawls... Not drawers!

Underbritches. As in,,,,eadible underbritches. Now if they just made them bisquit and gravy flavored. (larry the cable guy)
    I just couldn't wear my big girl panties today.

Aspiring Member
    Yes go old Skool & just say drawls or drawers and be through with it.

"panties" "undies" or "unmentionables"..... they're all the same to me!!!!

Then there's the old question...
    Why are panties plural and bra singular...????

You wear A Bra...but a pair or panties????????? Go figure.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !