Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what is it called...

So what is it called...

when you wear all women's clothes that are close enough approximations to men's clothes that nobody can tell? Does it have a specific code word like 'underdressing'?

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

You are in disguise. Lol
    They make clothes that are for both sexes. Interesting way to dress.
    Around here women dress in sweats and tee shirts a lot. They do wear their normal clothes but I do see a lot of them dressing in more comfortable clothes.
    Last edited by Stevie; 02-03-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Androgynous.

Jodi

Hi Deedee, I think the word you are looking for is androgynous. Meaning neither specifically feminine nor masculine.
    The minute you think of giving up think of the reason you held on for so long

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    "Stealth" clothing is the phrase I use.

I also tend to use that phrase for clothing that is actually a bit across the line into female but which is not immediately obvious. "A guy is wearing it, so it must be guy's clothes."

Probably more like "hiding in plain sight" I'd guess.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

As a product of the 60s, I'd call it unisex. But, Gloria Vanderbilt jeans look great on both sexes.

One can dress entirely in clothing from the ladies department and still look male. It does, however, give me pleasure to do that. As Kate says "hiding in plain sight". And I do usually have a skirt, heels and wig handy for when it is possible to change.

DeeDee

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDeeB View Post
    One can dress entirely in clothing from the ladies department and still look male. It does, however, give me pleasure to do that.

DeeDee
    Yes, that's what I was getting at, rather than an androgynous look. I like the term 'stealth dressing'.

(Other) Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

I like that. The important thing is to do what makes you comfortable.

DeeDee

Banned Read only
    Sometimes my wife and I will appear similarly attired. She and I will be wearing jeans, although she never buys embroidered jeans, nor I. She and I will have on clunky looking black athletic shoes. And, she will borrow some of my cartoon character tee shirts with holiday motif to wear to her job as a teacher.

Since both of us wear the same size (XL) I inadvertently bought on eBay two exactly the same Venezia black with red floral/rose design. I would love to lend her one of them to at least wear together while preparing dinner. It ain't goin' happen! But, who knows.

PS: I since keep my list of dresses on a word document and pictures in a binder so I don't buy the same dress twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Sometimes my wife and I will appear similarly attired. She and I will be wearing jeans, although she never buys embroidered jeans, nor I. She and I will have on clunky looking black athletic shoes. And, she will borrow some of my cartoon character tee shirts with holiday motif to wear to her job as a teacher.

Since both of us wear the same size (XL) I inadvertently bought on eBay two exactly the same Venezia black with red floral/rose design. I would love to lend her one of them to at least wear together while preparing dinner. It ain't goin' happen! But, who knows.

PS: I since keep my list of dresses on a word document and pictures in a binder so I don't buy the same dress twice.
    My GF and i have done this, same pants, ( definitely womens if you look ) and similar tops. i found out the other day, that I can actually wear her pants, though they are a 10 and I wear a 14. I was looking at purchasing another pair the other day, and a 12 would fit slightly nicer, but the...um... male aspects become a little more glaring. When i put on hers, they felt great, but i wouldn't go out in public without tucking!
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Androgynous. Is the word that come to mind for me too
    Formerly Lolisa

Androgynous is the word. It is a great way to go out and get practice and confidence.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member

It can get blurry...

Yes the clothing is described as 'androgynous' but the accessories such as purse, pierced earrings, necklace and / or bracelet and long hair do really blur the line.

I suspect if I wore my regular plain-Fem clothes without the accessories and had a buzz-cut nobody would ever look twice. With the accesories the line does get blurred.

Enjoy life,
    Sandra1746
    Last edited by Sandra1746; 02-04-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling

plain jane cross dresser Kimberly Renee's Avatar
    I thought it was called Pat

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I have my own word for clothing like that, "Pointless"!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sherry,
    Darlin you are 100% correct.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Okay, I'm a man dressed as a women, but in clothes that look like a man's. I think that's called "confused" which is what I am most of the time anyway...Jaymee

If you are a man, and you are dressed in clothes that make you look like a man, does it matter? I'm not sure it is crossdressing.

A few years back I was coach of my sons baseball team. We were practicing early in march and I wanted a sweatshirt to wear. I looked in our closet, and found a dark blue sweatshirt, (our team colors were white and dark blue) so I put it on and thought it was appropriate. During practice that day I heard the assistant coach and a couple other parents snickering. I finally asked what that was about and they told me the tag was sticking up in the back and it was pink and said "Hanes Her Way". GEEEESH! I winked at them and said they should see what else I sometimes wear! Little did they know......
    Stephanie

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    I have my own word for clothing like that, "Pointless"!
    It isn't pointless for those of us who are walking the fine line between getting fired vs needing to express our female side.

'Drab' is the word I've heard used; in other words, only subtly distinguishable as women's attire. But I don't much like the sound of it... it looks and feels better than that!

Aspiring Member

Plain-Fem...

I use the term Plain-fem to describe my normal mode of dress. It matches the attire of most of the other GGs I am around in shops and such, as well as my wife, and it allows me to go out fully dressed. I'm not passing so much as blending but I do get out in public.

Even GGs don't always go out in the proverbial LBD if they are just going grocery shopping.

My $0.02,
    Sandra1746

Personality Crisis
    Parallel dressing

I like the term stealth dressing, so I'll use it here... so today, the first day I ever wore my Gloria Vanderbilt blue corduroy slacks to work, the very first person I see in the office says very loudly "WOW - look at you, all dressed up. Great pants, great shirt, great shoes!!!" He's not someone who would give me grief about pants, and he is always overly enthusiastic about everything, so this wasn't really out of the norm. But it was a little disconcerting - first time out of the gate, and somebody is talking about my slacks and alerting everyone in the office.

Everything was fine, and I wasn't really worried - I sure can't tell the difference without looking at the label - but it was a shock!

Deedee

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    It isn't pointless for those of us who are walking the fine line between getting fired vs needing to express our female side.
    Thank you, Sandra-leigh! That wasn't quite the kind of comment I was expecting. We're all different here, and all our approaches to our lives are different. Doesn't make any of them wrong...

Deedee
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 02-05-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: posts merged, use the edit button instead of multiposting please

Quote Originally Posted by kaytrans View Post
    'Drab' is the word I've heard used; in other words, only subtly distinguishable as women's attire. But I don't much like the sound of it... it looks and feels better than that!
    Kay,
    Not to be disagreeable but to me DRAB is the opposite of DRAG.............dressed as a BOY, ie my regular guy clothes, which is a liitle different than wearing women's clothes which LOOK like guy's clothes.........
    sorry if I am being too picky here........

Joanie B