Thread: Crossdressing in NYC - any tips?

Crossdressing in NYC - any tips?

Ladies

I have been planning a weekend to be Natasha for a few days. I have finally decided on the Big Apple itself.

It'll be my first time out solo and in daylight but I cannot think of anywhere better than NYC. I'll be staying very close to Times Square. I am kind of nervous but very excited and so to calm my nerves a little I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips for does and don'ts.

Packing a pair of flats is one of the first I know. I am thinking about where is safe, where is not...what to do, what not to do.

I really want to have some fun in the city and not think about being en-femme, but just being a girl if you know what I mean.

Where is good to go shopping (slightly larger frame)?
    What to do for entertainment? (eg theatre)
    Where to eat? (I do not like eating on my own in a restaurant as a guy so that makes me nervous and so will feel exposed as a girl)

Any other advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you and BIG Hugs
    Natasha

I think that the best tip is to just do it, stay safe and smile all the time. It will probably be a new high for you. Good luck and enjoy.

I'd go to Time Square and hang around where the famous Naked Cowboy is.... and I hear there's a naked cowgirl now too.... no one will even notice you! lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Stay in the Times Square area. There are lots of police on duty and tons of things to do. There are shops down 5th Avenue and of course the Macy's flagship store is on 34th street. Believe me no one will care in the least how you look! Relax and have fun.

Tips? Hah, there's no secret to it. You just do it. It's new York. People are generally tolerant here. (I'm from new York and almost always go out dressed) all that you need to know is to be safe, be yourself and stay confident. You'll get both compliments and insults but never let it get to you. The compliments can be very motivating, sometimes. Don't be afraid. It's not as bad as you think. Soho, the village, west 4th street has many trans people. I usually go to the clubs there. It's really fun. But that's all you really need to know. Have fun and like always be safe

For places to shop you've got...

Union square
    34th street
    The whole strip of Broadway
    Times square
    Kings plaza (brooklyn)
    Fashion district is between times square and 34th st
    Last edited by Antoinette; 09-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    Finally got to making a facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003854850084

And now on instagram (got sucked into the hype). I go by frenchtoastowls. Yea you read that right!

If you're gonna add me just give me a heads up on who you are
    please

Silver Member
    Yeah, just like everyone else says, go where you want and do what you want. Listen, its NEW YORK CITY, for goodness sake. You can't shock a New Yorker, they are FAR more sophisticated than you, and they have seen it all many times over.

Smile, be polite, and have fun.

Stephie

Pick up theater tickts in early morning, either at the theaters themselves or at the TKTS booth in Times Square. Then go back to your hotel, dress, and go down to West 4th Street (Greenwich Village) for shopping and lunch. Either that or walk down Broadway from Greenwich Avenue to Canal. Plenty of stores. Go back to your hotel and rest your tootsies. Then head out for the theater. It will be a full day.

PS. Don't worry about safety. NYC is safe.

What others said - it's NYC! It's not only safe it's tolerant, fun, a little scary (like a roller coaster - not like real scary) and shopping is great. In fact they're gearing up for fashion week - so the window shopping is excellent. Lower broadway is like a shopping mall, Macy's around 34th is good, I like Lore and Taylor on 38th (print out coupons from their web site and shop the sales racks - its cheaper than Marshall's). And anything under $100 is tax free clothing wise. If you're really adventurous you could hit Century 21 down past Canal - and you may be able to find some awesome deals but be prepared to pay the price in picking through stuff or outright fighting for it.

Do the village, walk around wherever - it's safe and people have seen it all before. Plus NYers are all to busy to care that much!

Darla

Quote Originally Posted by RainyNightGirl View Post
    Ladies

I have been planning a weekend to be Natasha for a few days. I have finally decided on the Big Apple itself.

It'll be my first time out solo and in daylight but I cannot think of anywhere better than NYC. I'll be staying very close to Times Square. I am kind of nervous but very excited and so to calm my nerves a little I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips for does and don'ts.

Thank you and BIG Hugs
    Natasha
    I was just in NYC recently and I go there a couple of times a year. Macy's is the best place to shop (very TG friendly) but any store in Manhattan Mall (like Victoria Secret, etc) are also nice.

Eating almost any place is really nice nowadays. It Little Italy too but one place there I know is TG friendly is Luna Ristorante.
    I've never been to Boradway for entertainment but I would imagine it would be OK for TG girls.

NYC is very TG friendly in my opinion but like any place always be aware of your surroundings.

Steffie
    Hugs
    [SIZE="3"]Steffie[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Strength lies solely in tenacity.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Girls just wanna have fun![/SIZE]

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/steffie.michaels

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RainyNightGirl View Post
    Ladies

Packing a pair of flats is one of the first I know. I am thinking about where is safe, where is not...what to do, what not to do.

I really want to have some fun in the city and not think about being en-femme, but just being a girl if you know what I mean.

Where is good to go shopping (slightly larger frame)?
    What to do for entertainment? (eg theatre)
    Where to eat? (I do not like eating on my own in a restaurant as a guy so that makes me nervous and so will feel exposed as a girl)

Any other advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you and BIG Hugs
    Natasha
    OK, I thought you wanted encouragement, but I do have some tips.

Watch your purse.
    Hold on to it carefully when you are in a crowd. I had mine slit open on the subway back around 1998 or so. The thief emptied my purse through the slit and I didn't even know it. The cops told me that thieves can slit the wallet out of the back pocket of a guy's jeans without him feeling it.

Wear good low heeled shoes. New Yorkers walk a lot.

It's easy to eat alone. Bring a book. Or your knitting. Or the crossword puzzle. Raise your eyes and smile graciously around you now and then and return to your task. Eat at crowded local places. If there is a bunch of New Yorkers there, it's probably OK.

Smile and be polite.
    "Could you please help me? I am trying to get to Union Square." Most New Yorkers are proud of their city and are happy to help you get around. I once had a bus driver stop his bus and ask the passengers for change for me. I had gotten on the bus without knowing that the bus took only silver.

The subway can take you almost anywhere you might want to go. And it's fun. Hope you can sit down. Ask fellow passengers to tell you when your stop is coming up." Could you please tell me when we're getting to Union Square?"

Others have suggested places to shop. If you like the clothes in the window go on in. Be prepared for high prices, though. You can find amazing values in NY, but in a classy store or restaurant? Be prepared. Bring the credit card.

Take the ferry to Staten Island. You don't even have to get off. You can go right back to Manhattan and get a gorgeous view of NY harbor and the Statue of Liberty.

I tried to visit Ground Zero, but it was too emotional for me. During the six months I spent working in NYC, I went right through both towers every day on my way to work. I couldn't go there. I had to turn around.

Walk around the Village. Go to China Town. Visit South Street Seaport Museum. Go to a show. You can stand in line (remember sensible shoes?) in Times Square and get fantastic values on unsold theater tickets. Take in the United Nations. Visit The Cloisters. See Central Park. Spend a day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, MOMA, Rockefeller Plaza.

Oh, and have fun.

Stephie
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 09-05-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: content

Girls,

Thank you so much for your advice. I am so excited and your experiences have calmed any nerves I may have had. I just cannot wait to experience the most amazing city on the planet!

Hugs to all
    Natasha
    xx

Go to the East Village, you will feel immediately comfortable. St. Marks Place and east of there.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    BTW, contrary to some popular perceptions, you wiil find that most people in NY city are very friendly.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 09-17-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Rainy!

Last February had a killer cd day out in the city.

Look in NYC time out. ..
    My plan was cd spa for couples they did make overs try on gowns at cd gay friendly brides shoppe then Dinner show at Lipps then off broadway show drag friendly...one clu.b then day 2 brunch in near lomens at cafeteria en femme then bit of shopping then home.Sigh pkans felk through but one day. I tend to avoid 30th and train s packed with people who are not nice.

Just remember NYC is BIG!
    I have a great time there but I stay over in NJ and visit each day.
    Much cheaper.
    Staten Island ferry?
    The same fellow that sold me the Brooklyn Bridge sold me an annual pass for the Staten Island ferry for a good price.
    He was from Nigeria.
    Buy your batteries on the subway and watch the fellow pick the lock as he works his way through the train.
    Only in NY.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    BTW, contrary to some popular perceptions, you wiil find that most people in NY city are very friendly.
    well i don't think we are friendly, just busy thinking about ourselves to even bother getting upset.

Natasha:

I started to comment but Stephie's advice is so complete I really didn't have much more to offer, except watch out for rain! Have fun,

Jamie

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Michaels View Post
    well i don't think we are friendly, just busy thinking about ourselves to even bother getting upset.
    You must be the head of the NYC tourist board.

Times Square is OK if you are going to a Broadway show en femme, but it's too crowded with tourists for me. That's my guy self talking.....tourists irritate me.

Hail a cab and radiate northwards towards Columbus Circle and around Central Park, or down south towards Chelsea and the Village, or eastwards towards Madison & Lexington sts. and pick a restaurant you like. I say around anywhere around the lower west side Manhattan south of 14th street is the best, not because it's a pretty open minded area, but because the restaurants & clubs are the best. Last week I ate at Pastis http://www.pastisny.com/ in full Nathalie, and the food was great.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 09-17-2012 at 10:48 PM.

All Great tips. Thank you for all that have posted. I am heading there next month for a day out as Heather. Anyone have suggestions on hotels.

this maybe too late but have you lookup groups and events on meetup. cool site and i found 2 groups one in NYC and the other in NJ with alot events.