Thread: Do any of you ladies do Zuma in a class enviorment ? Sorry long post.

Do any of you ladies do Zuma in a class enviorment ? Sorry long post.

Hi Ladies . I dont post much, but I do read all the threads.

Have any of you been or still doing Zumba in a class ? How was you accepted ? how did you dress ? Do you like it ? Do you have to wear dance shoes ?

My GG friend invited me to join her class. She said its all GG's though , I'd be the only male. I asked her to please check with the instructor and the ladies in the class before I go , as to make sure no one is uncomortable with me being there.

I'm so tempted to get a little risky and wear womens athletic wear for the class , like Yoga pants or womens sweats and a womens black or dark blue T shirt. I only own womens sneakers anyway. She did tell me to get my dance shoes ready though and gave a little playful giggle .

Now alittle back ground on my GG friend and I's relationship. We went to school together and we've recently touched base via facebook a few years ago. she still lives close. She is a Fitness coach and nutrionist and she offered my wife and I her services for free. Since she is always looking for people to work out with and keep her accountable.

I'm 5'8" and weigh 248lbs , so I'm way over what I should be for a mans standard and I need to achieve a womens ideal weight for my height. SO I have alot of work to do.

She wants to walk alot together and do workouts in her basement as well since thats no cost for any of us. Her and I plan on running a couple 5k's. we both dont like running , but know its good for us and we're going to start building up for a 5 k. My wife has foot problems so she cant do the running , she can tolerate exercise and walking. This zumba class is on a Wednsday at 9 am , so not to many ladies are present at this class and my wife works so she wont be able to attend with me and our friend.

Now my friend doesnt know about Jinny yet. Ive been on HRT for over a year , she hasnt seen much of me since and I've put on weight and wear extra baggy shirts when she does see me. When she 1st talked about helping us lose weight and get in shape. I told her I need it , I have moobs now, to kinda break the ice some what .
    She said well I'll gladly take some from you in a joking way and pointed to her chest , since shes a skinny mini.

She said as you lose the weight they'll go away , not to worry. I said yea , well about that ,,, its not likely they will that much, its a side effect from medication I've been taking . We talked about it some. I just told her about the spiro, it's for blood pressure and also to help with my hair loss and kinda explained how it worked.. so she asked about the "moobs" I told her the Dr. said it's gynacamastia and explained to her what that is. We went into detail about them,er asking questions , do they hurt ? Yes !, Do they Itch ? Yes , are the ni**les sensitive ? Yes and so on. So she clearly knows now, I have breast growing and are visible when the shirt is pressed against them.

So now when I start sweating the shirt becomes clingy , she wont be shocked. I told her I dont know how 'll do with them bouceing around doing execrsie/running due to them hurting. She told me she had a recomendation but I might not like the idea and I told told I'll gladly accept her recomendations. She recomended athletic tanks with bras in them under my baggy t shirt , that will help with the bounce and hurt. I told her good idea and also told her she's the only one besides my wife that knows about my gynocamstia. she said she'll keep it between us.

So she seams to be ok with that for the reasons I told her, of course I didnt come out and tell her I'm going to be transitioning and I'm on HRT. Not ready for that just yet. My wife wants to bring that out slowly , until I cant hide it any longer. So as per her wishes , I have to do what I can to keep it hid.

Sorry for the long post. Just figured I give you ladies some background on me .

Jinny
    Finally accepting and embracing the real ME

I've done Zumba here and there around the world. It is an excellent fitness activity and fun too if you enjoy rhythm and beat music.

All good fitness programs are large muscle intensive and get the heart rate up. Zumba is knee intensive too, it does help to wear a good dance shoe so you don't rip you knee out on the pivots and turns. If you are going to wear ladies shoes keep the heels low, in fact all the girls I've seen in the classes wear some kind of dance practice shoes, no performance heels.

I have seen some really good Zumba guys and done it with at least one excellent guy instructor although I remember at one place up in Alaska where I was told that I was the first guy ever in their class.

I dress to sweat in surfing shorts and a tank top, I have a size 15 foot so I wear a trainer that has been resurfaced with a suede dance sole.
    I have done Zumba naked in a few nudist settings, kind of bounces around when not tucked, hee, hee!
    Last edited by JohannaSophia; 09-06-2012 at 01:26 AM.

I went to a couple Zumba classes, and they kicked my butt. It doesn't help that I have two left feet and no sense of rhythm. I wore a pair of women's burgundy running shorts and a gender neutral t-shirt.

I do run 3 times a week, about 16 miles/week total, on the local bike trail. The few others who use the trail have gotten use to seeing the guy in women's shorts and t-shirt, boobs, and pony tail out for her early morning run.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

Thank You Ladies.

I should find out next week if its ok for me to go , if it is , I'll ask my friend what she recommends for shoes for me, maybe she'll go with me to help pick them out . I'll probably wear my womens running shorts or sweat pants , a womens athletic tank with the bra shelf built in and a really loose fitting womens t shirt over.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks for your input .

Jinny

Gold Member
    Well, I have gone many times but in guy mode. It is intensive but my experience is that it depends on the instructor on what is going to hurt the most at the end. The instructor I went to the most was very core oriented and I didn't get that sore in any particular area, just wore out. Another likes to go back and forth sideways a lot and it stressed my knees more than I cared for. So you may have to see if you will get a regular instructor and then within a class or two, you will know where she likes to emphasize the effort.

Thank You Sue What did you use for shoes for it ?

Gold Member
    Good ole court shoes worked for me. As long as they fit right and give you good stability so you aren't turning ankles, it worked well for all the instruction I experienced. I believe all of my classes were on wood floors, so not slipping around was key.

Thank You Sue , I have womens tennis shoes and running shoes in neutral gender colors , I can wear. But My friend did say get your dancing shoes ready and hasnt answered me yet about what kind of shoes to wear . The class she does is with the same instructor and girls all the time . I'm looking foward to it.
    Thanks Jinny