Thread: heart bypass surgery

heart bypass surgery

I am recovering from heart bypass surgery, and have been wondering how many other crossdressers have been through this surgery. I know the scar on my chest can be covered, no low cut tops.. But its the scars on my leg. All I can think of is long skirts and pant suits. Do any of you ladies that have been through this having any other suggestions?

I had surgery 2 years ago but they never had to take a vein from my leg,as to the scar on my chest i never think about it as i have seen other woman that have had open heart also.Do you go out much and how well do you pass you kinda have too look at everything,were not young and perfect just a couple of old gals with a little wear and tear,,,,,,Abby

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Soo happy you are still with us!! Welcome back.

Eight years ago I had six bypasses; almost died. I have four scars on my leg and the lower ones are very faint now, the one near the crotch is still prominent. The chest scar is barely noticeable, wish I had known about those scar creams back then.
    I've now had three MI's, six bypasses and now seven stents. Last MI was in April, the result of two blood clots in a cardiac artery, giving me the last four stents. One counselor told me I was no longer a candidate for SRS because of this "problem".
    I often wear high fitting camis to cover the chest, and hose will hide the leg scars. I never used scar cream, as my wife told me that after a few years it would do no good. I don't know how true that is, though.

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    Eeek...glad to hear that you all recovered...

I haven't had any surgery, but I do have some large red bumps on my upper chest right where a necklace would sit. I'm self conscious about it in guy mode even (and I generally don't give a cr*p how I look in guy mode). It limits me enough that I don't go out dressed unless it is very cold out (cold enough for turtle necks).
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

I had a quit in 1997. Lost one right away. The others are holding their own. Slight blockage in one. The leg scars really do not show much with hose. The highest one which is under skirts the length I wear would show as it was done by an assistant (I consider it botched). The chest scar can be seen but with a small amount of makeup actually adds to my small cleavage. To your good heath!

Hugs Edy

Aspiring Member

Speedy recovery Monica

Best of luck with your recovery.

As for scars they will fade over time but before that you may want to check out the cosmetic counters. I have seen threads on here that describe the "miracles" that properly applied cosmetics can do for even combat-related scars.

Hugs,
    Sandra1746

Twenty three years ago for me. And yes, I surprize myself that I have survived this long! So, I guess there's Hope for everyone. Stoping The Smoking, paying attention to my diet, and losing weight seems to have been positive things.

As your "Zipper" Ages, it might just turn out to be another positive thing. Many people have mistaken it for Joanie's Cleavage. I imagine you could get The Same results with a little applied Blush in a strategic spot. The Leg Scar, we just try to ignore. Some Hosiery, like mesh Stockings seems to do a better job of hiding it.

Peace and Love, Joanie

I had a triple CABG and also an artificial mitral valve implant done in 2001. No recurrence of the symptoms since, thank goodness, but the anticoagulation therapy (warfarin) required by the valve is often a pain in the rear end.

I asked a makeup artist during a makeover to try and cover my chest scar once. She looked at it and said, "you know, you probably notice that and it bothers you, but I can barely see it and I bet nobody else will see it either." I usually wear a necklace (like them anyway) or something that pulls attention away from the scar, and indeed, no one has ever mentioned it in all these years.

My solution to the leg scars certainly won't be for everybody: after about a year, I had them covered up with big, bright, colorful, very feminine flower tattoos.

- Diane

My wife has had knee surgery and has impressive scars. That doesn't stop her from wearing skirts when she wants to do so and she looks great in them! I have scars where I barked my shins as a teenager. Looking at them right now they measure about 2 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. Before this thread I never concerned myself about them. They're just a part of me. Enjoy life, don't sweat the small stuff!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

don't sweat the small stuff right now, focus on your physical recovery, it takes months after open heart sx.

I had open heart bypass surgery last December. Yes, I have a scar on my chest, which I can disguise quite a lot with Max Factor Pan-Stik. I also had a vein taken from my left leg. The scar goes from my ankle to just above my knee joint. Although you can see it, it is greatly reduced if I use a self-tan product (I use St Moriz).
    Because it is a stain, all parts of my legs including scar tissue get coloured. If I used a sun-lamp (well I am in the UK!), the scar tissue would not go brown. I was pleasantly surprised at how little the scar shows when I wear tights - Marks and Spencer "oiled effect" 7 denier in "Suntan", and is not at all noticeable if I wear "nearly black" stockings. The upside to the surgery was that I lost 2 stones (28lbs), so could get into all my beautiful cocktail dresses! Sadly, I put 1.5 stones back on!
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]"You can have my stilletoes when you can prise them from my cold, dead feet"

Been there done that!
    7 years ago, I joined the zipper club, my chest scare is just a fine line, and has gone back to a normal skin tone, so while it shows, it does not stand out. a little concealer and a bit of foundation and I can get by. on the legs, all of my scares are up on the thigh, nothing on the lower legs, so that helps, but darker tights and I can wear anything.
    Remember having to alter your wardrobe is minor, as long as you get well, take care of your health, and you get to dress for years beyond what you would have been able to do if you had not had the surgery.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Arrow heart bypass surgery

I have not had a heart bypass, however I had a heart attack about twenty years ago. Congestive heart failure, blockage in one of the main arteries. Doctor suggested I consider bypass surgery. I nixed that suggestion and after release from hospital changed my diet and started exercising. I quit smoking cigarettes six weeks before the attack cold turkey. Doctor said that was to much of a shock to my system to quit cold turkey. I have gone off all medications except for one coated Enteric aspirin a day.

Four years ago had a stomach infection resulted in a blocked bowel. Two days before doctors appointment had severe stomach pains, felt like was also having a heart attack called the EMT's. Live two blocks from the fire station. EMT's were here within five minutes. The had me chew two aspirin and put me on the gurney and a trip to the hospital. Fifteen minutes after entering the emergency room was on the operating table. Doctors asked me if anything serious went amiss if I wanted to be on artificial life support after the surgery. Said no! Then during surgery had a cardiac arrest. The doctors 'zapped' me and heart started again. Had nasty burn marks on the left side of my chest for almost a month later. I was back on heart medications for a couple of years. Taking one Enteric aspirin a day, no other medications now. Again watching my diet and exercising. I have not had any angina pains. Have a nasty six inch scar across my stomach so won't wear any tops that expose my midriff now.

I had triple bypass surgery in 1991. The scar on my chest is still visible but it has been replaced be a newer, longer one. The scars on my leg are barely visible now. Since I am of an age where displaying a lot of my body is not in "good taste", the scars
    have not been an issue. There are many women who have similar scars.

Be thankful that your health problems were fixable, many are not.
    Hugs, Carole

No heart problems yet, but had two surgery's on same leg.
    Had to go with very dark tans or black support hose to cover scars on leg and to keep leg form swelling up
    WHEN IN STRESS WEAR A DRESS
    BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF IT ALL YOU GOT

Gold Member
    I just want to say I am glad all of you are doing well and I hope the scars continue to be the only concern.

I want to thank everyone for your best wishes and words of encouragement. Recovery is progressing, and I have committed to changing my lifestyle to a healthy lifestyle.

monica
    I had a blockage that was "fixed" with medication so no heart surgery. I did have part of a lung removed (I didn't stop smoking soon enough, damn) but I was fortunate they didn't have to crack my chest, just a VATS.
    But I can understand you leg problem. My left tibia is offset a 1/4" inch from a racing accident and I am very conscious of the deformity. I either wear a long skirt or boots.