Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who ARE you?

Who ARE you?

Who are you?

Seriously. Who are you?

It's a simple question, right?

It’s sooo simple, in fact, that the question is composed of just three words, and a total of nine letters.

The obvious answer, also coming in at three words, but only five letters in total length, is even simpler.

I am me.

But am I really me?

Are you really you?

Or are you someone else altogether?

I don’t know how much the question matters to you, or even if you believe the answer is of any real significant consequence. But, for better or worse, I have been all-consumed and obsessed with both the question and answer for some time now.

And I can say with no amount of uncertainty that I am currently more me than I have ever been before in my life, by far.

But my answer, even as partial as it may yet remain, has not come easily, and it has not come without having paid a steep, heavily interest-laden price.

The ironic thing, though, is that I spent years and years and years doing everything I could do to not be me. In this, I denied myself. I hid. I ran. I deceived. I was someone other than my true self. I sold myself out to myself for pennies on the dollar. I betrayed myself. I lied to myself, and I lied to the rest of the world.

And much worse, to put salt in the wound, throughout it all I had convinced myself that I really was me. For whatever it is worth, though, I will give myself credit - I was quite convincing.

I was convincing, that is, until reality reared its ugly, merciless, unforgiving head, thereby causing my life to completely and totally fall apart around me. Although a substantial price most certainly was paid (and will continue to be paid for some time to come), I learned an invaluable and life-saving lesson from the experience - being someone other than your true self just doesn’t work. In the long run, it is not sustainable.

For me, I have had to let it all go. I have had to be completely honest with myself. I recognize that I can be afraid, and that it is ok to be afraid, but I ultimately have to stand up to, face, and conquer my fear.

When it’s all said and done, the easy answer is actually quite simple – I just gotta be me. The thing about this simple, easy answer, though, is that it also just so happens to be the correct answer. I gotta be me. Funny how that works, huh?

So do you think you know who you are? I mean really know who you are? If you do, are you sure about that?

Banned Read only
    I am legend.......................................

Thera

Think its difficult getting to know yourself.
    I don't believe that pre made models of individuals can describe them fully.
    What I know for sure is that I can feel my own presence, after comes the challenge of trusting whatever nature that stands behind it.
    Perhaps full understanding of that nature won't be revealed until later

I don't know. Think such questions can drive you mad

I'm whatever Gotham needs me to be...

I'm a CDer. I'm a lesbian girl who happens to have all the biological working parts of a man. I don't know who I am anymore. When I find out I'll let you know.
    I've always been the kind of girl that hid my face, so afraid to tell the world, what I've got to say. But I have this dream bright inside of me. No more hiding who I wanna be. This is me.

The Question might be simple.....But Humans are complex! I think each of us, as Shakespeare espoused, plays "Many Roles" in our lives. I don't think that's being false or phony, maybe just 'coping" with The Realities.

If Today, One can grow? If Today, One can learn something, and take another step forward on The Pathway of Life? Then, it's a Good Day!

I'm happy for you, if you have taken one of those Steps Forward. Sure beats being Stupid, don't it? Of course, tomorrow is another day, and we start all over again. Hmmm, that sort of sounds like my Half-Ass Philosophy for navigating A Life? Must remember not to take myself too seriously.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Silver Member
    Anne,

Sometimes I think you need more sleep when you ask questions like this.

But I'm game! I think I'd ask your question differently, though. My question would be whether I know enough about who I am. That is, though I get what you're saying about having your life and self understanding turned upside down (my words), much of what I understand about myself has not changed.

Consider this: If I was conflicted and alienated because the way I think and express myself didn't conform with typical male behavior, even though I now have a different framework to understand why that is so, I nonetheless am not going to start thinking differently. In other words, the essence of who I am has not changed at all. What has changed is where I place these things (and myself) in relation to others. Even gender, as profound as it is to one's self understanding, is an issue of conflict and labeling more than essence.

One of the interesting things I've noticed about post ops, especially those years after transition, is that they so often remark that they still feel like themselves. I had a conversation on this topic with my physician on Monday. I asked her how she felt about her life these days. Her response was to wonder aloud rhetorically whether she would transition if she were to do all over again. Her answer was probably! She did not mean this to indicate any ambivalence about her need to transition. Rather, it was a comment about how much she was still the same in many respects. She went on to say that "sometimes it feels like I just switched places."

All the falseness we build up seems to reduce to the labels, the categories, the frameworks that we employ to give meaning to what we feel and think. But those things are never who we are. Nothing can illustrate this more clearly than the fact that we actually don't get anything meaningful from them before we accept our gender identity – because they don't fit!

So why is my question about understanding enough? It's because I separate the question of who I am into two pieces: identity and meaning. Because my innate, innermost sense of self never changed, I cannot say that at some level I did not know who I was, riddled as I might have been with doubt and confusion. I didn't understand enough, however, because without the proper framework to bring the innate self understanding into the real world, I had no place in the world. No meaning.
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyfaye View Post
    I'm whatever Gotham needs me to be...

I'm a CDer. I'm a lesbian girl who happens to have all the biological working parts of a man. I don't know who I am anymore. When I find out I'll let you know.
    Ha ha, the crossdresser Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now!

This pretty much sums me up right now as well. Only time will tell...
    Pursue happiness, with diligence

My blog: A Circular Square

Great thread as usual Anne! Who am I? I am getting closer to understanding, but that only comes with being really open with yourself and allowing all of your preconceptions to leave.

I have many facets that do not sit well together when you tell people. My wife cannot resolve the CD with the hard rock guitar player. To her they are diametrically opposed, but to me they are both part of who I am. I am getting on a bit now and have always been reflective and introspective. I love self-analysis. So I have had many years trying to figure me out.

One of the many milestones that helped was to realise that I CAN be who ever I am. I do not have to conform to any stereotype. This may be hard at times and I must admit recently I realise that I play many different roles, a bit like an actor (actually I always felt like that). But I am OK with that as long as I feel that I am intrinsically me inside and growing in my understanding of myself. I beat myself up a lot and my wife doesn't like this side of me, even when I am agreeing with a criticism she might have of me. It is certainly not helpful, and I am at my best when I am just plain accepting of who I am in all my many facets and with all my foibles and issues.

I also realised that I do not have to CD to be me... the drive and urge comes from within and can be channelled at any time. Being me is all in my head and in my attitude to life.

I also learned that it is okay to not like aspects of myself, but that I need to accept them as part of the overall deal.

I do know that nobody else understands who I really am... that is hidden and others only see part of the whole. I also know that I also only see part of the whole... and so I keep growing and developing and learning, day to day.
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Platinum Member
    I'm not certain. I've changed so much over the years.

"Who am I?"

I am nobody!

There are those who say that everybody is somebody, but I maintain that I am nobody.

After all, Nobody is perfect, and I am nobody.

Sorry. I will go sit in the corner now.

CE

Kimberlyfaye. Had the best answer to this question.

A very searching question Anne and one I really don't know how to answer.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I'm not sure but these voices in my head are singing "Who who who who, I really want to know" There is a part of me that feels like a dying clown with a streak of Rin tin tin.

Oh God, please make it stop!!!

Can the man and the woman sharing my body ever truly co-exist? We'll find out today. But first, let's meet our contestants!

I'm on a bit of a Batman fix, sorry. I'm tired and rambling. I'll be in the cave if anyone needs me.
    I've always been the kind of girl that hid my face, so afraid to tell the world, what I've got to say. But I have this dream bright inside of me. No more hiding who I wanna be. This is me.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    It took many years to find out. who I am. I'd say I was in my late 30's to get to the me of today. But since then, ie for the past 15 years or so, I've known who I am, what to expext of my self from almost any situation. I'm not saying things won't change but right now, I'm happy to say, "I am indeed me" and I at least know who that person is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    Who are you?

Seriously. Who are you?
    24601! No wait, that's not it! Why I'm VeronicaMoonlit!

But, for better or worse, I have been all-consumed and obsessed with both the question and answer for some time now.
    I've noticed, but you're doing a good job figuring it all out. Sure there's travails and bad days, but you're figuring it out.

But my answer, even as partial as it may yet remain, has not come easily,
    That's right, it hasn't.

The ironic thing, though, is that I spent years and years and years doing everything I could do to not be me. In this, I denied myself. I hid. I ran. I deceived. I was someone other than my true self. I sold myself out to myself for pennies on the dollar. I betrayed myself. I lied to myself, and I lied to the rest of the world.
    Wait, that sounds familiar. ;-)

I learned an invaluable and life-saving lesson from the experience - being someone other than your true self just doesn’t work. In the long run, it is not sustainable.
    Yep.

For me, I have had to let it all go. I have had to be completely honest with myself. I recognize that I can be afraid, and that it is ok to be afraid, but I ultimately have to stand up to, face, and conquer my fear.
    Yep. You must not fear, fear is the mind-killer...oh great a Dune quote again.

The thing about this simple, easy answer, though, is that it also just so happens to be the correct answer. I gotta be me. Funny how that works, huh?
    That's why I'm a fan of Occam's Razor.

So do you think you know who you are? I mean really know who you are? If you do, are you sure about that?
    Now THAT sounds very familiar!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    Great post Anne! Sometimes finding the real me (you) is scary as hell.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling12 View Post
    The Question might be simple.....But Humans are complex!
    Very much so, we are "fuzzy".

If Today, One can grow? If Today, One can learn something, and take another step forward on The Pathway of Life? Then, it's a Good Day!
    Yes, yes it is.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I think this is a matter of finding your own personal balance. I am in my own comfort zone.

You don't really know who you are until you live it.

Being in the closet will never get you there.

My goal for 2013 is to "fly pretty" .....code words for flying en femme.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    Who are you?

Seriously. Who are you?
    This is the million dollar question, isn't it?
    Sometimes we have to go to extremes to find out EXACTLY who we are.
    That's where I am. On a journey of self discovery. A learning experience.
    Is it easy to find out who we REALLY are? Nope. Is it worth finding out who we really are? Yep.

Silver Member
    "Who am I?" - The answer to that simple question is, perhaps, what life is all about.
    Last edited by heatherdress; 10-08-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Shorten

Changed my answer. I'm Marleena, I always have been.

I am who I am because THAT'S who I am! And that will never change!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Anne, I am going to respond to your original question, and then to the question intended, as they intertwine.

Who are you? Literally, Anne, I know you. I know you as well as anyone outside your most inner circle can. I would also venture others would say the same thing about me. It is easy to know another person because all we have is the information they have presented to us. We have no insight into all of the internal turmoils and foibles going on in the mind, and do not have a right to them. These are the things that make the individual who they are to themselves. All I can comment on is what I have been told, and interpreted by my metrics. Incomplete for sure, but in my mind enough to give me a picture that I can call YOU. I can say this about anyone here, some more, some less perhaps, but for my use, I can say i know you, but only as deep as my knowledge will carry me (recognizedly incomplete). And that makes me happy, because I can stop there and know a happy, wonderful, thoughtful, caring, beautiful, soulful woman, and I am content to stop there when i think about you.

Now, I know the real intended question is "who am I?" they really are the same question, but one rabbit hole is a whole lot deeper than the other one. i cannot stop at just the knowledge I have imparted to others. the I must go deeper into the mental details that are ever changing, sometimes expanding, sometimes shrinking, always challenging. The I has gone through a tumultuous year. I am a one year old crossdresser, a babe in the woods as far as having a mental grasp on the who, what, where, when, why of the me. I am only belatedly beginning to accept the woman within who i see is controlling me. My periods of pain as I accept things about myself have been compressed, though no less hurtful. My periods of joy have been just as compressed, unfortunately put into a shorter life span without a lot of time to think about them and what they mean. I have moved too fast to truly understand down deep what I have gained right now. I know it will come in ten years or so when I have the support hose on with the white orthopedic shoes and the hearing aid (pink of course) cranked up, in my rocker. i wish i could stop at just what others know, for then i would know me.

Right now i do not know me,
    I do not know who i am,
    I just know I am
    Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I wish I knew. I always thought I knew. I have a cool "man's job" that I love. I have a wife and two adult children that I love. A grandchild that I love. I'm a man. Or was. Now I'm a girly man who loves women's clothes, loves to wear them, loves to shop for them and am feeling more feminine every day. I'm going to find myself some day. At least I hope so.

I do know just who I am. I also know who I want to be but I never will be. A close approximation on a part time basis is the best i can hope for. No one else knows who I am except for one person. She is the only one so far. Like the Phil Collins song "you're the only one who really knew me at all"
    She is still in this world but does not know where I am, and likely doesn't care.