Thread: Long nails and the problem of doing things.

Long nails and the problem of doing things.

I have a Citroën berlingo van.
    If there is anyone out there that has this van and has ever tried to change the offside headlight bulb then you know what a nightmare it is. Over half an hour struggling with the cover and then fitting the bulb and then trying to get the cover back on. Grrrrrrrrr!

So I finely got home today, cleaned my hands and inspected my lovely manicured nails.
    Perfect! Not a break, not even a chip.

Wow I’m good. In fact I’m amazing! [Or lucky?]

Suzy enjoying herself.

Yup, it's all in the wrist Suzy.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Should have got the bulb replaced at Halford's.
    Couple of quid on top of the price and a lad changes it for you!

If he breaks a nail, WHO CARES!

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

I also vote for someone else to do it for me. I do not care for working on cars.Funny because I fix things for a living.

I love having that problem. (doing things with long nails) "feminine feeling" (I crave things like that)

earrings can be a challenge with long nails.
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

My nails are a great source of pride for moi, not especially long, but when they are red I just burst out in pride. This feeling also goes for red toe nails, I just love red toe nails, they also give me great pride.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I admire you! everytime I paint my nails, they get smeared and chipped before an hour goes by! Guess I'll have to get others to do things for me...

Quote Originally Posted by MssHyde View Post
    I love having that problem. (doing things with long nails) "feminine feeling" (I crave things like that)

earrings can be a challenge with long nails.
    Yes! Me too! I work on a computer all day and just love the way my long nails "get in the way" of keyboarding. I don't have pierced ears, but would love to have that "problem" too.
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

I do horses and all the related labor. Try holding a manicure with that. Chips breaks and cut happen all the time. Wearing gloves is practial only sometimes.
    joank
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by ArleneRaquel View Post
    My nails are a great source of pride for moi, not especially long, but when they are red I just burst out in pride. This feeling also goes for red toe nails, I just love red toe nails, they also give me great pride.
    I'm too fussy to put up with chipped fingernails. So I don't polish my fingernails. However my toenails are painted dark red. I really like them to be painted. My wife does not understand me.

John
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Yesterday I had to change a tire and broke three of them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Don't get clever old man! Now take us to dress barn!

Broken a nail at work yesterday. Very upsetting.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Ha ha ha! Sorry! Just thinking of me with long nails, Suzy. I repaired a faulty garage door opener, filled all my tires, checked the oil, etc., helped install some cabinets, and worked on some outfits for a weekend session.

Beyond that, I can just imagine what my nylons, silicone products, sweaters, anything that buttons or zips, etc. would look like if I had long nails and DIDN'T do all that other stuff! Sherry's things would be in a lot worse condition than they r now!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

My biggest problem is keeping them clean.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Guitar player... occupational hazard! It is a bummer though.. I reached a satisfactory relationship with my guitars and the length of my left hand nails... When gigging they need to be trimmed a bit... it is the right hand that is the problem... I play with a plectrum mostly, but it amazing how much damage to your right hand nails gets delivered... especially the first finger!

Yeah Suzy... when I come home clean it is awesome... it is just that first finger, right hand.... real problem!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Playing guitar and doing mechanical work every day is why I do not grow out my nails. I use the stick on kind so I can remove them easily. I cannot imagine p;laying a guitar with nails.

I guess I'll go on record by saying that I've never had any problems doing much of anything with long nails- typing/gaming (gets much easier when you realize "you push the keys with the tip of the nail itself, not the pad of your finger"), cooking (never lost a nail, but have "cut" into my thumbnail a few times while cutting vegetables), cleaning (including "personal" cleaning), & fixing things- (I've built at least one computer with my long nails on, and haven't lost a nail yet). I'm going to chalk it up to experience and my 18+ year love affair with long, beautiful, sexy nails (compared to only a few months of CD-ing fun- go figure).

I usually wear the press-on kind whenever I can (after work and weekends usually), since I can't wear them 24/7 (or else I'd get acrylics- a dream of mine, but that's another story). They're a little short for my tastes, but so much better than ugly stubby "man hands"- plus you get to paint those talons with your favorite color(s), which makes the experience all the more special (well, for me it does, anyway). A couple of my problems with fakes are dealing with the nail glue after you take them off (I take my nails off and scrape most of the glue off with my teeth- not the best practice but it works and it doesn't scratch up my real nail, like other methods/tools would), and the fact that the nails themselves tend to break when I take them off, especially after having glued them and taken them off a few times (they're only little pieces of plastic, after all)

As for chipped polish, if you wear a top coat over your nail color, it will chip much less often (if at all) than just the polish (and when dry, the top coat makes your nails feel oh so smooth and shiny, like glass). Another protip: when applying the top coat, make sure to swipe some over the front of the tip of your nail too, after painting the rest of the nail- it really helps reduce chipping in your polish. Also, if you find your polish isn't drying as fast as you would like, and it smudges/wrinkles on you, you can also invest in a bottle of "quick dry" (it's pretty cheap, and can be found in almost any beauty section), although I've heard that, in a pinch, dipping your freshly polished fingers in ice water (brrrr!), or spraying them with cooking spray also helps, but I've never used those techniques, I can't vouch for them too much.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Jay135; 11-15-2012 at 05:40 PM.

You certainly are a lucky girl Suzy, not even a chip after struggling with that stubborn bulb. If it had been me, my nails would have been as jagged as the teeth on a twelve point handsaw.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Suzy it's great you can do things for yourself! But not breaking a nail doing so is even greater! If only I could be so lucky! I broke one raiseing the hood of my van yesterday!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

i wish i could get my nails to grow.
    would love to have nails just a 1/4 in past the fingers. but my nails chip and split so easily. as in back to the living skin areas. ouch.

you are so lucky.

loni