Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wrong airport bra!

wrong airport bra!

Recently I flew and was embarrassed when a gruff TSA security type felt my bra connector on my back.
    The day had started innocently-dressing with Vanity Fair black lace nouveau briefs and a bra. Usually I wear a pretty pastel Bali microfiber crop top. For some reason, I selected a black Vanity Fair smooth moves conventional bra. They are wonderfully smooth, sheer, and, well, feminine and I liked how the bra complimented the nylon briefs. I guess I don't have to explain my thinking-if you are reading this, you can relate. My anti androgen and estrogen regimen are making bra wearing more and more imperative--the bra flattens my barely Bs for a more acceptable 'male front'. I certainly am not ashamed how I look naked, but I am not in a position to go 'full time' nor even want to. Enough.
    I had passed through the new style 'electromagnetic machine' when I was stopped. Curiously, there are choice buttons the inspector selects--blue for boys, pink for girls--(and appropriate stick figure images for those who are color blind--as if any women wear dresses anymore--the image is like the restroom door). The TSA person pushes the appropriate button before the next passenger enters. Subsequently when I asked at another airport, I was told that men and women have different 'electromagnetic fields'. I infer this means that the metal bra clasp and likely the underwire bra cup are given exemption--their metal presence doesn't cause an alarm.If evil meaning folks knew this, they could probably make a special underwire bra to blow up the plane--no inspector is going to challenge a woman with attitude!
    A metal clasp-even on a simple two hook bra-is enough the ramp up security when on a non-pink.
    When stupid #1 felt my clasp and asked me 'what is this' , I replied 'a bra clasp', he told me to stay there. Stupid #2 comes over (the next higher ranking former 7-11 part timer)comes over, same drill-told him : 'I am transgendered, is that OK?'. He sort of nodded and let me continue. Guess that made for some fun donut break conversation.
    I confess this was embarrassing. I will be sure to avoid bras that can get me in airport security trouble (thank God my wife was with me!!!)
    . Don't think I can ask for the pink screening. Imagine how it would be if one of us were to wear an old fashioned girdle with metal garters! That would be really hard to explain to folks who may never have seen or heard of one!
    be careful! TSA may not stop any terrorists, but they can make life difficult for our community.

Good story, Harley. Sorry you had to go through this, but I appreciate you sharing this with us, as should I ever get the courage to wear a bra in public - especially when travelling, I will keep this in mind.
    Kind regards,
    Di

You have to wonder about the intelligence of the people at the TSA sometimes. Last time I flew (dressed as male) I had to go through the x ray machine. They pulled me aside because they saw something they could not understand nor identify so they needed to give me extra screening. They told me the x ray showed a 4 to 5 inch square object on the back buttocks area and did not know what a WALLET is.

Well that explains a lot. I just came back from Vegas, thy have that scanner, my first, and was wearing my bra, was asked to step aside after going through. Was asked to raise my hands were he started to poke. His first poke you can guess, he stopped and felt my back. Then said I could be on my way. I was a little scared he was going to make trouble, but was very polite.

I'm sure that those TSA guys have groped a few bra straps in their time. The proper response when questioned might be "That is a bra strap, do you discriminate against the transgendered?"
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I have my nipples pierced and it is never a problem. I have however been a little sweaty from being late and running and that is a problem.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by almostalady View Post
    You have to wonder about the intelligence of the people at the TSA sometimes. Last time I flew (dressed as male) I had to go through the x ray machine. They pulled me aside because they saw something they could not understand nor identify so they needed to give me extra screening. They told me the x ray showed a 4 to 5 inch square object on the back buttocks area and did not know what a WALLET is.
    Yes, you don't see many women with a rectangular booty these days...

Silver Member
    Thanks for your story, Harley. It also seems that you are fortunate to have a supporting spouse. Thanks for the travel warning, too.

tolerant is the word that comes to mind-far from supportive.

good point. not sure there is much to gain 'challenging' these small IQs-it will just make them irate and further delay you.

I suppose the more experienced TSA reps have had some 'sensitivity training' and aren't shocked to see men wearing bras. I must have had someone new to the post.

thanks for your positives. I wear the bra to minimize showing-I don't want to exagerate, but when you start growing, stuff shows. further, my nipples are shielded from shirt fabric-for some reason recently I didn't wear a bra and had to use healing antibiotic type vaseline at night for several days.

I was going through austin Airport a few months ago, wearing a nice underwired lace black bra and some panty hose under my normal guy clothes. My shirt didn't have the top buttom fastened and one could see my bra. One of the TSA persons asked me as I was removing all of my metal stuff and my belt and my shirt gapping open, "whats that?" I just said in a matter of fact voice, "it's my bra." No further questions and I went on through the X_ray machine with out further incident. Due to other situations on repeat trips, I have not had the oppertunityt to repeat this experience (wearing the bra that is). Looking forward actually to maybe pushing the line a bit further...ladies jeans and top maybe.
    Paula

I travel a LOT and so trust me when I tell you this - those things are so sensitive, that I get stopped if there is perspiration on my top/shirt. Apparently the difference in density between the "wet" part of my shirt in the back if I've had to break a sweat in the 100+ degrees, and the dry cloth adjacent to it, is enough to trigger an inspection. Your days of breezing through the line wearing a bra under your shirt and hoping that no one will notice are definitely gone my friend.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harley47 View Post
    When stupid #1 felt my clasp and asked me 'what is this' , I replied 'a bra clasp', he told me to stay there. Stupid #2 comes over (the next higher ranking former 7-11 part timer)comes over, same drill-told him : 'I am transgendered, is that OK?'. He sort of nodded and let me continue. Guess that made for some fun donut break conversation.
    You have to wonder about the intelligence of the people at the TSA sometimes.
    x ray showed a 4 to 5 inch square object on the back buttocks area and did not know what a WALLET is.
    Quote Originally Posted by harley47 View Post
    good point. not sure there is much to gain 'challenging' these small IQs-it will just make them irate and further delay you.
    So we don't like it when we are not accepted or understood by anyone but we can talk bad about a large group of people who are employed and working to support their families? And realize that these people deal with more variety in their everyday life that it isn't an easy job.

Oh, by the way. They do instruct you to empty your pockets and put the contents in a tub, so there shouldn't be a wallet in your pocket.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Sorry! I must agree with Sue! The folks r just doing their jobs. And, it can't be fun for them either.

Personally, I hate 9/11 for "F"ing up traveling for me! I think the entire process is a terrific incovenience, waste of time, and $$$! However, I've read the studies and talked to enuff cattle, (pardon me, I meant fellow "passengers"), that I know they'd be scared to fly without all the "pretense of security" crap!

Harley, I suggest u and other bra in drab wearing travelers get a travel bra! Sports bras have no metal in them. Or, remove the clasp off one bra and sew/glue on velcro closers. Why fite the SYSTEM for such small potatoes?

Final note: I was body searched because of a plastic chapstick in my pocket during a body image scan!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    So we don't like it when we are not accepted or understood by anyone but we can talk bad about a large group of people who are employed and working to support their families?
    I have to agree with Sue here. How can we expect others to accept us if we are putting them down. I always say Positive thinking brings positive results. Let’s keep our heads up and accept others the way we want them to accept us.

Anyway these little incidents, though nerve-racking at the time, allow us to grow stronger within.

What we take for granted, others may rarely see. Just because thet have no knowledge of transgender issues does not mean that they are stupid. There are many things that I'm sure that you have very limited knowledge or understanding of. Does this mean that you are stupid? There are a lot of people that are much more intelligent than either you or I that do not know what it means to be transgendered or have no knowledge of transgender issues.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

Some men have man-boobs large enough to require a bra. So if you don't want to admit being TG, simply tell the TSA you must wear a bra because of large male breasts.
    Last edited by Dawn cd; 09-16-2012 at 07:03 PM.

good point. regretably, my observations of TSA personal hasn't been encouraging. I am fine with 'ignorance' as we all are ignorant in many areas(99% of the world truly doesn't know what Transgender, Crossdressing is truly about) , but the arrogance, condescension, bossiness--clearly trying to throw their weight around--seems a common complaint on TSA related posts on the Internet. Tomorrow when I fly home, if that person barking out orders when we queue up doesn't use the word 'please' I will loudly remind me of that useful term.

Thanks for commenting. I do wear a non-metal clasp bra now when flying-I surely wasn't 'fighting the system' as that is futile. Just shocked how this detector could be so alert--guess we can't request the 'pink button' screening. Glad I don't wear a high waisted side zipper girdle-that would send the machine into a frenzy!amazing how items like kleenex in a pocket can glow yellow or whatever the 'hot spot' detector is geared to do.
    Sad reality is that this entire process seems so behind the times with all sorts of nasty potential non-metallic explosives in existence. Just a huge waste of money and traveller's time (and for those who are concerned about another 9-11 bad actors--all sorts of cargo is shipped internationally that has been discovered-upon arrival-to have been lethal).

I appreciate your input. maybe the bra shows up in some manner-when I casually observed in Sacramento (slow day, no one telling me to go on--I loitered putting on my sneakers)--it seemed that clothes weren't the issue-just some random yellow dots of areas of interest lighted-clearly the metal tab of the bra doesn't belong on the male profile.
    I do feel some sympathy for the TSA folks-since it seems most question the effectiveness of the effort, think the shoe removal process is as relevant as a transistor radio today, and surely the atmosphere is a bit negative-that would be hard to deal with on a daily basis without developing the thick skin of a prison guard.

good luck and I salute your courage. I truly try not to incense TSA people. In addition to having your travel delayed, it just is upsetting for all. I have read a few comments on general TSA googling that are very upsetting-a gay couple having their 'sex aid' embarassing taped on the outside of their suitcase. Best not to piss off these individuals. keep your own council, my wife says.

Oh, do I love the TSA. I would rather drive from SF to LA than take my shoes off, off any kind.

Can you imagine what will happen to the harley's of the world if some crossdressing terrorist manages to put a liquid explosive in a set of silicon breast forms.

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    I have been patted down as a result of wearing a bra. The TSA folks were fine about. I told then I was wearing something with straps. In my case it was the metal adjusters on the strap that gave me away.