Thread: Feeling weird about it

Feeling weird about it

This upcoming Saturday night, I will be attending a party en femme. I went to the mall and made an appointment with MAC for a makeover. I have had these done several times in the past, at this location. The woman (absolutely gorgeous, btw) gave me a strange, almost annoyed vibe when accepting my request. I then went to a neighboring store, and made an appointment with NARS. Incredibly polite, helpful, eager to help and just an overall nice experience. However, and this is where I have an uncomfortable feeling. The woman who took my appointment at NARS is not the one who will be applying the makeup. It is a very talented gentleman who will be doing the work. I feel strange with this arrangement, and I'm not sure why. I would much rather have a woman at MAC (I don't know which specifically, but they don't have any male employees), than a very talented man at NARS. Can someone please talk some sense into me.

Edited to add: I already met with the gentleman at NARS, and he seemed eager to help. We had a quick consultation, and is looking forward to helping me.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I had a MAC makeover once with a guy. He was awesome and gave me lots of tips and tricks. Don't let gender think that he hasn't had just as much training and experience as any of the women. I can't think of any other reason that you wouldn't want to have a guy do you make up unless you think he's gay and you happen to be homophobic ... which I assume (hope) you are not.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

If he's actually talented, there shouldn't be a problem. Being a man in that capacity, he probably is quite professional and understanding to another's needs. I'd go with the people that want to do the makeover.

When you get things like this an that done I want the most an best skilled person for the job ,,,So I can get my moneys worth ,,, Do your Magic ,,,Magic Man ,,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

All the artists I've had at MAC have been great, but twice I had makeovers from a male MA who was extraordinarily talented and went the extra mile to do a fantastic job on me and make sure I was satisfied with the results. Not surprisingly, he has now left the company and is working full time doing makeup for professional fashion shows and photography. I have also worked with another male artist (and CD himself) at an independent store who is one of my favorites.

Basically, I don't think there's any correlation between the gender of the artist and either their talent or attitude toward working with us. If you're more comfortable with going to the NARS store, then that's the place for you.

- Diane

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I did once go to MAC for a makeover. The women working there at the time were welcoming, but they all happened to be new employees and knew they didn't know the tricks for male skin. So they passed me over to a guy at a different makeup company (this was in a department store), and he was skilled and experienced, and dressed sometimes himself (he was of an age where it was socially quite accepted in his circles.) After that I would often pop in and chat briefly with him. Eventually he was hired by the only independent makeup store in the city, as their second full-time artist; I gather he did quite well there. (Eventually when Sephora moved into the city, the independent store could no longer stay afloat.)

Although I did not at all have in mind to go to a male makeup artist when I first went in to MAC, within the first 3 minutes of working with him, it was clear that he was a good choice.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Let me ask u something, Kim. If the mechanic that lubed and rotated the tires on your car was female, would THAT bother u?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Interesting thread Kimberly, I was at MAC yesterday to pick up some foundation. Sometimes I'm in the mood to shop and sometimes I'm not. Yesterday was the time I had to go, my confidence was thin, but it was time. So I go in, both SA's were with other other customers. I milled around the register area for a moment, and one SA broke free and asked how she could assist. I explained I needed some foundation and she asked "Is this for Halloween or TV?" Well I didn't see that coming. "Halloween" I said. "Then lets try some of these." She picked some foundations to try and found one close to my skin tone, explaining that it would also cover the red areas. "Great!" She then gave me a towelette to wipe off the make up. She was professional and courteous, but I felt like a guy in the ladies room, not exactly welcomed.

That said Kimberly, If you have an engaging professional eager to make you gorgeous, I'd take that great service every time, adding to the fact that a man in that industry should be supportive, not judgmental.

One last thing. That towelette had a fragrance on it that was fabulous. I smelled pretty most of the day.

Colleen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Feeling pretty on the inside.

Let me get this straight.... You, who is - I assume - a male who likes to be/act/dress female is asking a bunch of presumably male (gg's and others please don't be offended. I hope you understand where this is going) members (a lot of whom are sitting in front of thier computets after work in thier boxers) if it is odd that you should have mixed feelings about having another male - in male clothes, I presume, put makeup on you?
    I think you ought to step back for a minute and understand this is the typical strriotypical thought pattern we have been trying to change for years.
    He's probably not as hot looking as the MAC gal - but I'll bet neither was Kevin Aucoin the makeup guru
    Last edited by Stephanie Miller; 09-29-2012 at 10:36 PM.

women mechanics are hot! its different for women as they can wear my work clothes right down to the work boots and no one is gonna say anything......lucky girls i think the man thing would bother me too but if your a veteran cd you dont probably care who does it take a sedative thats what i would do xo

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Let me ask u something, Kim. If the mechanic that lubed and rotated the tires on your car was female, would THAT bother u?
    Not at all -- but it is different. Rotating the tires is a strictly technical job with precise and known procedures, and standards to judge whether it was done right. Anyone who can meet those standards has, by definition, done an adequate and proper job, indistinguishable from the work of any other mechanic. Makeup is an artistic endeavor that depends on the senses and emotions of the artist as well as the client, for which the definitions of an "adequate" or "outstanding" job vary with the individual and circumstances, and not only technical talent but good aesthetic judgment and a level of rapport with the subject is required to create an outstanding look. As a general rule -- and there are exceptions, as I described above -- I am more comfortable around women and choose them as my doctors, hair stylists, nail technicians and makeup consultants unless there is a compelling reason to work with a male. I not only think there's a higher probability of getting excellent work, I like to support women professionally and economically whenever possible.

But my experience has also been that everyone working at MAC is well trained and pretty darned good at their art.

- Diane

I don't see what difference that makes. My first makeover before I went out was by a male and he did a fabulous transformation. It's the skill and the comfort you feel with that person, not the gender.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Apparently, I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. The only reason I have any trepidation is I feel extremeley emasculated getting it done from him(oh the irony!). In my own mind, I feel guilty for wasting his time and talents on me. The only reason I brought it up is, I feel in my heart women are more receptive to cd'ing, and just feel like "less of a man" getting my makeup done by another man. I don't care if he's gay, straight or whatever. He is, imo, very handsome, and I feel so confused by the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    If it was me and the same female that did the car job then did the makeup, that would bother me no end !! LOL
    [SIZE="3"]Lots of love Gina X[/SIZE]

If you sit near the river for long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies will float by......Chinese Proverb
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing !!
    People who think they know everything, are especially annoying to those of us who do

Platinum Member
    H Kim, I'll bet that you post next week how great it was and
    that you will be going back to him for another makeover.

Please keep us advised.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyF View Post
    The only reason I have any trepidation is I feel extremeley emasculated getting it done from him(oh the irony!). In my own mind, I feel guilty for wasting his time and talents on me. The only reason I brought it up is, I feel in my heart women are more receptive to cd'ing, and just feel like "less of a man" getting my makeup done by another man.
    This is exactly how I would feel - somehow I think it would be more embarrassing with a man particularly if he ISN'T gay... so definitely no homophobia involved. Not saying this is rational, just "not what you expect" so as Kimberly says, quite confusing mentally. Personally, i've never had this done at all, but I think I would be in the same situation.

VS Fan

You may find that sometimes the men at the makeup counters understand the small details to help make a male look more feminine.

My MAC makeovers have been done by just about 50% guys. From a skill point of view one of the guys was probably the very best, but the range from top to bottom has been remarkably small, they've all been great. In that setting I'd rather be chatting about CDing and makeup and girly stuff with a girl than a guy. And, the women associates do themselves up beautifully so you get to look at them and study them for an hour at close quarters. Still, it's a small consideration in the grand scheme of things. Hugs, Michelle

Whilst i can understand your point of view. Surely the important thing is that the job is done well? Whether female, male or machine. I have never had any kind of make over done, however, i would thought that if anything the male MA is less likely to be judgemental than a female MA purely because he will have had to want to prove himself in what is widely seen as a female dominated profession, so having strayed himself from social norms he is more likely to accept others?
    Katie Taylor x