Thread: what you would do...

The FW side of DFW, TX, but New Orleans is my adopted home town

what you would do...

I have been invited by a professor to do a reading of my poetry at the local college as one of a number of former students. I am very tempted to tell her, though I believe she would not be surprised, that I will do it en femme. Things I have to consider:
    • The audience will have a copy of my work, published in my male name.
    • I am not confident in my female voice.
    • I would/will explain the situation to her and only proceed with her approval.

I am not concerned that people will "connect the dots." The ship sailed on my worrying about that a long time ago. What I desire is to be seen as a positive example. So I am weighing my options, and I would love to hear what you would do given the same circumstances!

Torrey
    Last edited by Torrey; 09-28-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Torrey

"Never laugh, and you will live to regret it.
    That's what living is to me..." - Jimmy Buffett

https://www.facebook.com/torrey.stephens

If the professor knew you where going to do it en femme when she asked you then that might be OK but if she did not know of your intentions then i would say no as this would be using her for your own purpose and that would not be right . ask her first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

I have to agree with Joeanne. It would be best to ask about enfem. Other wise it could turn out a bit nasty.

I revised the OP to reflect that...always my intention to inform her first and ask if she has any objections...
    Torrey

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Yes, it all boils down to the Prof's comfort and support, and your comfort level. It could be very confusing if it is not announced beforehand what you are doing. If you are announcing beforehand that you are the author and the Prof is willing, perhaps in the copies of your works there could be an educational insert you prepare as to why you are there doing this. If that connects the dots too much then don't do it. Not sure why you want to do this if you dont take all the credit you are due.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

A good idea, I would imagine that her main concern might be that the audience might be focused more on what you are wearing than what you are saying/reading so do not be surprised if she is not happy with it , but it will be great for you if she will be happy to let you go ahead with it which can only be a good thing for the CD community.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ella View Post
    If that connects the dots too much then don't do it. Not sure why you want to do this if you dont take all the credit you are due.
    Good suggestion about an "insert." I have not quite figured out the best approach with the professor. I am NOT worried about them "connecting the dots," but rather that I approach this correctly. I do not want it to be a Jerry Springer moment...
    Torrey

Banned Read only
    Is there any correlation between cross dressing and your poetry? Will your poetry be enhanced by appearing and reading en femme? I guess the question is whether the poetry concerns the plight, aspirations, etc of a cross dresser? If your poetry has nothing to do with cross dressing my opinion is to NOT be be femme. Your cross dressing would be nothing but a distraction.

Have you done it in the past? If not the only concern I could see is that you should practice first talking in public in femme.

If she gives you permission, just do it!
    "I'm not sure. But I'll never know unless I give it a shot."

I have never given a reading en femme. However, at this point, I go everywhere and do everything aside from work en femme. This particular poem does not address any transgender issues, though I have that do, they are not "on the table," as it were.

Torrey
    Torrey

If you were on a path of transition, then reading enfemme would be appropriate, if the prof approves. Otherwise it might just be a distraction.
    DonnaT

A good poetry reading can be ruined by a bad voice. You said you were not confident with your femme voice. Does that not suggest not going en femme?

Silver Member
    Your professor will be better able to help you prepare. The students you read to do not need any explanations. They simply need you to read your words to them as best you can. You will be a positive example.
    Last edited by heatherdress; 10-08-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Shorten

If you want to do it, I would do it. Is there a reason you would not want people to see you? I sing when dressed and I cannot and do not try to change to a high register. In real life I really don't change my voice much either except to speak softer and slower.

This your life, it isn't the professor's or the audience's. Pertinent to the poem or not, you are representing YOU. I can see that the professor should be notified because it is their class and you still have to pass it. But otherwise, live your life. This is poetry right? Poetry is an art form, it expresses who you are and what you feel. Why pretend otherwise? Have fun
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I think I would be concerned that the TG issue would take away from my writings which I am guessing will have a message to send also? Tough call!
    [SIZE="3"]Dana Rachael Stevens

The person I have always wanted to be, is within me!
    [/SIZE]

Okay, as to why I would want to...

I do spend my entire life as Torrey, with the exception of work. I am far more comfortable in public en femme. And I do feel like I would be pretending otherwise if I went in drab. I have not discussed this with the professor yet, but I plan to do so shortly.
    Torrey

A university film class that I attended was discussing cross dressing in films.
    Some like it hot was shown and half the male class came dressed.
    It was obvious from the preparation that half of those were more than likely crossdresser friendly.
    There were some that we never identified.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.