Thread: I would be quite happy if....

I would be quite happy if....

Nail polish and skirts were unisex.

I think that I would be perfectly happy if there was no distinction between what men and women could wear. I do not especially want to be seen as womanly but I want to be able to wear nail polish and a skirt to work. I would like to come into work with long hair and a dress and made-up on and be seen as just another person. How long until this is a reality?

You never know! It could happen! But I doubt it will be in my lifetime!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Junior Member mike~the~islandman's Avatar
    I feel the same way...

Some cultures aren't inhibited by the notion of unisex dressing. I believe in Japan there are cafes where men are paid to crossdress as maids.
    "When you're in love you want to tell the world," -Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by mike~the~islandman View Post
    I feel the same way...

Some cultures aren't inhibited by the notion of unisex dressing. I believe in Japan there are cafes where men are paid to crossdress as maids.
    They go to work as men in the daytime and work in the cafe's at night.
    There is a news story on it somewhere.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

The usual old adage is :'When pigs fly" but we never have to wait for it if we are bold enough.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

There is nail polish specifically for men, it is called nail paint. It is marketed to the "no-nonsense rebel inside all of us", and "you don't have to be in a band to rock these colors" - They are mostly masculine colors and matte finish.

not sure about this for me, anyway. I LIKE the distinction between male and female clothes. To me the appeal is dressing and presenting as a woman, therefore the fake boobs, hips, wig, etc. In recent years its become ok for men to have pierced ears, which is great, but, for me, I have no particular desire to wear earings unless I'm presenting in female mode. To me, it's the association with femininity that seals the deal; Unisex just doesn't have any appeal. If everybody wore skirts, I'm sure I would too, but it wouldn't have the same pizzaz.

Banned Read only
    The ONLY thing stopping you is the person staring back at you in YOUR mirror.

But.................... I would check with your boss first, who does have the right to dictate what you wear while at work.

There are many "nonconformists" gender/fashion wise at these Forums who have never had a problem in many, many years of going out as a man wearing an item or two of women's clothing items, makeup etc.

Sure would not break my heart if we could just wear what we wanted when we wanted.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Quote Originally Posted by Lorri_c View Post
    I think that I would be perfectly happy if there was no distinction between what men and women could wear.
    I hear where you are coming from. If the folkways dictating acceptable clothing choices did not exist I would wear makeup and skirts to work whenever I felt in the mood to do so. I used to do this when I was younger and working at lower paying jobs that I wasn't concerned about losing. I was working in a part of the city where the people who live and work there are known for a more liberal bias and I never had a problem aside from a few awkward questions. Most of the questions came from customers, not from management. Some places might be concerned about scaring customers away because the employees might offend customers but that wasn't an issue in the area where I worked. People who don't normally do business in the area mostly know before going there that the residents and those who frequent the area might be dressed in a more alternative fashion and would usually chalk it up to, "Those folks are different." They might find the sights entertaining and discuss the people who they saw with others but from what I observed they spoke more in that context.

I had long black hair, black nails, pierced ears and I wore only black. Sometimes I would wear skirts with knee highs and sometimes I would wear more or less makeup with a late 80's/early 90's gothic look. It never got in the way of my work. My managers were more concerned with how I did my job and they usually believed in equal rights as far as personal expression with regard to style choices. Attitude made a big difference here also. By being confident and by showing competence, professionalism and respect for authority I got along well with customers and management. Again, I dressed this way when I worked in an area of the city that is known as a hub where people who are very liberal in their style tend to frequent.

I do not especially want to be seen as womanly but I want to be able to wear nail polish and a skirt to work. I would like to come into work with long hair and a dress and made-up on and be seen as just another person.
    I don't want to be seen as a woman either but I do love dressing in ladies' styles. I have never made an effort to present as a female and still don't even when I dress up to go to an industrial or gothic event. For example, I do not own any bras and have no interest in having breasts.

These days I work at a job that I take much more seriously and it is in a different part of the city. I still have long hair and earrings and I will paint my nails when I am in the mood but I would not wear a skirt there. The place is open to self-expression with style and many people have a more alternative look. I have seen guys wear makeup to hide blemishes and some have worn eyeliner but I haven't bothered to take the time in the morning. I think a guy in a skirt would spark too much gossip and would probably end up causing me hindrance. The IT crowd has a more tolerant perspective on style but those of us in the department who dress a little differently interact with other departments often enough that we tone it down to maintain professionalism.

How long until this is a reality?
    I'd say in some places this is a reality, but not many. More and more men are increasingly fashion conscious in many cultures these days and that seems to be leading to some men embracing style choices that previously only women would wear. I know many men who have manicures and wear nail polish. I know some who apply varying degrees of makeup. I know far more who have long hair and wear earrings. Quite a few guys groom their eyebrows now. I don't think that the separation between women's and men's style will ever go away but some workplaces are okay with bending the gender rules right now as long as it doesn't cause any problems at the business. Ultimately, if your choice of dress causes the company to lose money or if it offends someone with enough power, you will come under scrutiny.

Not soon enough. I feel the very same way.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

Platinum Member
    As soon as you choose to make it the reality of your life. The world doesn't change for us. We have control over our own lives and circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorri_c View Post
    Nail polish and skirts were unisex.

I think that I would be perfectly happy if there was no distinction between what men and women could wear. I do not especially want to be seen as womanly but I want to be able to wear nail polish and a skirt to work. I would like to come into work with long hair and a dress and made-up on and be seen as just another person. How long until this is a reality?
    I think there's two different questions here.

(1) Will clothing ever become unisex? Who can say? I have my doubts, though. For one thing the male and female body are shaped differently, so I think clothing will always be cut differently. There are other factors, too. E.g., the two sexes like to attract each other, and masculine beauty is different from female beauty. So I think it likely that there will always be a difference in clothing, which is one expression of beauty.

(2) Assuming clothing doesn't become unisex, will the day come when people will be able to crossdress without getting hassled about it? I personally am optimistic on that score, but I'm not making any predictions as to the timing. (Which means that if the Big Crunch occurs without that happening, nobody can say I was wrong.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    The ONLY thing stopping you is the person staring back at you in YOUR mirror.

But.................... I would check with your boss first, who does have the right to dictate what you wear while at work.
    That is to say, the only person stopping you may not be the only person stopping you. I think I could agree with that.

Annabelle

The avvy pic isn't me
    In watching the youth of today there is deffinitely hope.
    There is a remarkable amount of the androgynistic attitude within them. How that will translate to the business/workaday world is hard to say.
    That feeling of just being who you are and being at peace with it seems to much more typical with the young.

Whether or not that someday means 'joe(joann) down at the hardware store', susie(steve) the clerical worker' or chris(christina) the clothing retailer' can crossdress freely is fairly doubtful.
    I do mean full dressing tho, i go fiddy fiddy most days now and there's no problem, nails as you mention shouldn't be an issue.

I think the time when men wearing earrings, sporting completely shaved bodies, with well kept and lightly adorned nails and even some casual make-up is very close.

I've always been just a little confused by the comments about CDing losing interest if it became common place. I understand that 'it' is for the individual to decide what it means for them, but wow.

There are alot of variables in play here tho, the cultural differences between the rural southern areas (bible belt) and the inner city/suburban locations will always be there.

And there is also that nagging retro thingy that seems to keep coming along, which to me slows down progress.
    Last edited by Cassandra Lynn; 11-18-2012 at 12:56 PM.