Thread: "Rent"

"Rent"

Girls,

The movie "Rent" opened all over the USA today. My wife dragged (oops, no pun intended) me to it, "kicking, biting and scratching".

Well -- we have our wish again -- a transgender person, sensitively performed, as a main character in a major motion picture.

But Angel is not just any TG. OMG, Angel! She is spoken of in the script, and portrayed on the screen, as the most honest, straightforward person in the story. This after her Carmen-Miranda-in-a-Santa-Claus-Suit number, "Today For You, Tomorrow for Me", and a real, sweet love song, with real, sweet, kisses from her male lover, "I'll Cover You".

We are making progress, girls. Angel could not have been portrayed as she is in this movie, if the movie had been made when the musical came out, 10 years ago. I'm not going to spoil it for you if you haven't seen it, or don't know the story. But, oh, Lordy, did I ever identify.

Bring some kleenex -- you'll need it !

Hugs,
    Susie

Cool. I'm sure we'll all be looking for it. Thanks for mentioning it, becaus I, for one, had not heard of it until now.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I JUST read the review in my local paper. The critic slaughtered it.

He said the music stinks and the characters are way too old to be "young twenty-somethings". He said it wasn't even "rent-worthy".

Dang.
    Last edited by susandrea; 11-25-2005 at 12:42 PM.
    ....we are all made of stardust

I saw the musical of RENT several times. The Angel character definitely helped me feel better about who I am. I hope this movie does well.

ol' Transgendisaurus Mandy Salamander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgette T
    I saw the musical of RENT several times. The Angel character definitely helped me feel better about who I am. I hope this movie does well.
    [SIZE="3"]ditto[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgette T
    Every review I've read so far, even the negative ones, say that the Angel character was very well portrayed.

I bet the film will do pretty well.
    ....we are all made of stardust