Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Makeup seems like too much work...

Oh man... make up. The learning process was painful. I'm still learning. I lost count of the amount of times I ended up looking like a clown who'd just survived an explosion in a cosmetics factory. Now I just try to get away with as little as possible.

It takes me thirty minutes give or take to apply my makeup, but I don’t look at as work, for me putting on my makeup is enjoyable and something I look forward to doing. There was time and effort involved learning what works and what doesn't and that is still true to this day even after fifty years of playing with makeup. Notice I said “playing” and not “working” with makeup because for me it was fun. Starting out you will make a lot of mistakes, probably more mistakes than successes, but you’ll learn and when you look in the mirror and see one of the successes it all becomes worthwhile.

You’ll make mistakes in the makeup you buy, not all makeup is created equally, mistakes in the colors you choose, and mistakes in the application. Getting the right color foundation can be a daunting undertaking and if done by trial and error it might turn out to be an expensive one as well. Getting the right color and tone is very important and the easiest way is to go to a store, either a large department store or a cosmetics store, and let the SA determine the right shade. Most young males are hesitant to do this but it really isn't a big deal and only takes a few minutes – with Halloween approaching this is a great time to do it. After you have the right foundation either get some loose powder in the same shade or get some translucent powder, the powder is used to set the foundation, plus it gives a nice soft appearance.

My routine starts with the application of some moisturizer, foundation can be very drying. Next I use the sponge applicators in the shape of a wedge, get the close cell sponge otherwise the sponge will soak up more foundation than what you put on your face, to apply a thin even film of foundation to my face. You want to blend the foundation under your jaw line and down your neck as well. You can wash and reuse these sponges although they only cost four or five cents each. I then set the foundation with some mineral powder using a large powder brush; at this point my face has an even skin tone and looks much softer,

I generally use either shades of brown or amethyst for eye shadow, a darker shade on the lid itself and a lighter shade between the lit and the brow, then blended using a blending brush so there is a sharp line between the two colors. I then apply some highlighter just under the brow and at the inner corner of the eye. Eyeliner and mascara are used to finish the eyes.

A little light blush to the apples of my cheeks applied with a soft brush adds a bit of color; most beginners tend to overdo he blush, the blush should usually be rather subtle. Then some lipstick in whatever shade strikes my fancy; bright reds generally aren't a good choice nor is bubblegum pink. One final step, which may not really be makeup, is a couple of sprits of a nice feminine scent.

If I didn't screw up around the eyes I’m generally done somewhere between twenty and thirty minutes, but sometimes I like to play around with new products or a new technique, especially around the eyes, and then I may spend more time in front of the mirror.
    Babs

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    When I started it took me up to 2 hours to get dressed and made up and out the door, most of that time was make up. I now use dinair airbrush make up and I can put on a complete day face in about 20 minutes or less. Let's face it most women use at least two different levels of make up. Every day out the door living in the real world make up and special occasion make up for an evening out for dinner, clubbing or to the theater. Once you get the basic everyday look nailed it is easy to ratchet up the look with a few extra colors. You do have to play with make up to get it right. Natal girls start early playing with make up receiving clues form mom and older sisters and friends on what looks right and what looks like a train wreck.

If you are not going to go out you might not want or need as much practice, but if you are going into the main stream you need to get your look right for the venue. Club make up in the grocery store at 3:00 in the afternoon will get you clocked in a heart beat. Foundation, eye lid liner, one color on you lid, mascara, blush, and a nice lippy color and you can hit the grocery and be just like the rest of the women on a mission to get food and get out of there. Not many women look forward to having to grocery shop so it usually not a fashion parade unless it is right after 5:00PM and they are on their way home after work. Casual clothes requires casual make up and dressy clothes requires that you break out the full make up kit and have at and have some fun while you are doing it. Remember all you are doing is enhancing what mother nature gave you to work with.
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Takes me 10 seconds to put my face on. 5 to take it off.

Oh, MAKE UP, u say? I'm terrible with any of that!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

From the time I step out of the shower to fully dressed to out the door is close to an hour. I always like to look my best heading out and dont mind the extra time involved. Only get one chance to make an impression and Im gonna make a big one. Girl theres no time limit. just the more you do it the easier its gonna get. Practice makes perfect.
    Renee

Platinum Member
    Oh Dear Sweetgal, Nobody ever said that being a lady was going to be easy or quick!!!
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Putting on my makeup is just a part of the process to look more like a woman. I do not feel right without it. It takes me less than 10 minutes to do it. The reward is well worth the time and effort. It did take some practice to be able to do my eye makeup easily. However, for me, the eyes are the most important part. I use a liquid foundation and some blush to finish off the look.
    Hugs, Carole

on average I can get it done between 10-15 min. Which entails: concealer, Foundation, 2 shades of eye-shadow, Powder, mascara, and brow powder. I work fast, but I manage to get the details done right. It's all in the motivation and if you have the finnese to pull it off.

oh it's the fun part....i get to leave me behind and create a new me....how fun! 20 to 30 minutes and as was said...sometimes too much isn't good.i use brushes now and that was after a make over at ulta.learned alot and now the clown look has gone bye bye. i still poke my eye with the eyeliner tip to let me know i am still a guy...ummm getting better however!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetgal View Post
    So I have to say that the idea of spending a lot of time putting on makeup seems like a lot of work and effort. Don't get me wrong, I would like to try it and see the results, but to do it right seems like a an extended effort. How much time do all of you spend each time you make yourself up?
    Ah, makeup. I love it. I always have, since I was a little boy. I am fascinated how many different looks can be accomplished with makeup.

That said, it just depends. Sometimes it's just a quick base/powder and a little mascara. That takes 5 mins at the most.

If I am going for a very dramatic evening look, it can take well over an hour to get everything just right. But I utterly enjoy the process so much that I like to take my time and not rush though it.

My wife rarely wears makeup at all unless we're going out to play or on a formal night, by the way, and she is a beautiful woman. It may turn out that you may not ever want to wear it except for special occasions.

You don't have to wear it at all if you don't want to

Do whatever works for you!

Meghan
    "No matter how far you've gone down a wrong road, turn back."

~Turkish Proverb

I really can't go out without makeup. I need at least a foundation and setting powder to cover, and then you might as well do the eyes too. If I'm in a hurry, I can throw it on in 30 minutes. But when I take my time and add doing my nails its well over an hour.

I'm kind of a novice with makeup. The good stuff costs too much. I get mine at the dollar store at this point. I rarely poke myself in the eye though!

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    Usually takes me 10-15 minutes, took me about an hour when I first started.

For everyday I spend 5 to 8 min. Going out maybe 30.
    But it's something I enjoy doing.
    Always remimber life is what you make it.
    So make it Beautiful.

Love Ashley Dawn
    http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/ashley...00004093583692

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    When I first started an hour or so but now I use far less make up so its about 30 45 min.
    I do the concealer and foundation and let it sit for 10 min then set it with powder.The rest is a snap.

It's only work if you would rather be doing something else.....It takes me forever....the hard parts are false eyelashes which I am learning now...and eyeliner which is hard as hell. Shadow, eyebrows, blush and foundation is pretty easy. For me it takes at least 40 min just for my face....if I am showing cleavage or too much arm add a little more time. Add in nails and .....well I start early.

Former Member
    It takes me about an hour and a half to go from yuck to Sami. I love makeup. It's the one thing that makes Sami, Sami. The hour and a half includes applying makeup, getting dressed and applying my stick on nails. It's a labor of love!

Wow, talk about a wide variedy of opinions and thoughts on make up.
    As for myself I have not dressed in a couple of years, but last time I put on make up it took the better part of 1 hour, and I never got good enough at it to get the ultimate look.
    My wife will not leave the house with out putting on a little make up, not a heavy look just a little lip stick and eye liner. But my oldest daughter takes over one hour each morning to put on her face, she is a beautician by profession, and looks a lot like some one you would see on a television show.

I allow myself about 20 minutes to do my standard "everyday" look for an ordinary outing (shopping in town, going to the hair or nail salon, that kind of thing), up to an hour if I'm getting ready for a big night out. Once or twice a year I will schedule a professional makeover instead, which usually takes about an hour as well.

The time spent is mainly a pleasure, and only gets annoying if I am running behind schedule for some reason.

- Diane

A good silicone primer under the foundation helps make the rougher skin look smoother and also helps the foundation to last longer. The best I have found so far is by Rimmel.

Your right, it's a real chore. very labor intensive, for very little time I get to enjoy it. I spend a couple of hours getting ready. doing my nails, covering the bed with clothes, having makeup on every square inch of the sink counter, shoes all over the place. then the jewelry. yuck, who needs all that girly stuff!
    I'm going to call it quits!

until the next time, Cheyenne want to come out in play. hehe
    Last edited by MssHyde; 11-27-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

Depends on weather I have to scrub it off and start all over again or not. Not really timed myself but I know I'm getting faster. I do wonder sometimes if it's worth it given how little time I can spend dressed up. If it wasn't so DARN much fun I might just skip this step...
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

It's kind of a chore but when done right it makes you look so much better! I like the fact I can cover all my imperfections and look prettier with it, it's worth the effort IMo

EDIT: I just realized I answered this question for a second time...oh well...I'll leave it because of the point about being Zen like, I left that out of the original post...

Anywhere from 5 mins to an hour. If I am really going to do something fun with my eyes, for example, like wear false lashes, that could take a while.

But for me it's not work, it's Zen! I can spend hours doing my toes while watching TV on a weekend afternoon. Getting ready for a night out is a process too, but I love process. There's just something really engaging and helpful about it. The really cool part is it turns off the timekeeper in my brain, so I can have 2 hours just slip by without me even noticing...

Meghan
    Last edited by Meghan; 11-28-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    "No matter how far you've gone down a wrong road, turn back."

~Turkish Proverb

Who doesnt love boots!
    im still getting used to makeup, and dont have everything i would need to pass, but its about 20mins for me. I just got a makeup set for black friday so i can finally play with different eye shadow colors
    - Jessica