Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Think Like A Woman Or Man?

My thought is that we all think like individuals whether male or female. There are some characteristics that probably could define 'male thought' or 'female thought'.

In my own life I had to struggle to amplify those characteristics of 'male thought'. If I knew then what I know now....

Being part of nature we are designed to procreate so how someone thinks and feels is partly shaped by the forces of procreation in their lives and this is true regardless of being heterosexual or homosexual, the urge is there only the target changes.

I have noticed a number of men talk about how they became strongly interested late in life with crossdressing and I wonder if this is due to dropping testosterone levels that than expose the more feminine disposition underneath.

With others the male sex hormones take the feminine disposition and they sexualize the crossdressing.

Remove the sex hormones and the person that was there before puberty emerges.

Any differences in thinking between men and women I would think come from the sex hormones and how they shape the brain during fetal development and than throughout life.

Some men and women are very competitive with their own sex in relationship to the opposite sex while others are not and in my mind this is partly influenced by sex hormones.

Aggression is common to both sexes but different from person to person and once again I think the sex hormones play a role.

I was born with an absence of sex homones and this has clearly shaped my mind where I feel foreign in relationship to most others and do not share in what is commonly valued.

There is a large part of being human from a sexual stand point that was left out of me but this was replaced by something else that seems to be found almost exclusively in women but I have it even more than women and it is thought of as those aspects of nurturing which become very intense in the absence of sex hormones.

Two forms of connectivity, one is sexual and the other is not so in the absence of one the other is greater.

Sex is an undercurrent that influences what we notice, how we act and what we feel and or think. You cannot cut it out of you by choice but when it is not there you experience yourself and others very differently.

I think of it as the difference between emotional tunnel vision that sex causes where you always are being influenced by the sex hormones compared to emotional peripheral vision where you experience everything.

It is a very Zen experience of living without wants but still having the desire to be part of life because you feel connected to everything.

Sex and the experience of gender seem to be separate but yet interrelated where they shape each other yet pull against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by May(be) View Post
    I'm against the idea that one thinks "like a woman" or thinks "like a man". The gendering of thought is probably what led society to be fractured and rigid in its perceptions in the first place. Either/or dualities keep us from realizing our full potential as people.

But then again, the female brain and male brain are physically and structurally different from the other, so maybe i'm just being naive.
    What a brilliant point. While there are some differences in brain physiology, you're correct in stating that a majority of thoughts become engendered because of socialization. Because of reproductive motivations, there is some gender-based thinking that's divergent at birth for most (then subsequently influenced by societal forces, of course), but the process of thinking is hardly gender-specific, even if our choices and decision-making are or seem to be.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    Sadly, depressingly, I don't think like a woman, at least not stereotypically. It's all wishful thinking for me.

After reading all this I don't know what to think???

Former Member
    I think like a man.

How women think is a mystery to me. I have been trying to understand the female thought process for 35 years and I'm no closer to understanding it now than I was back then.

seeing as how I really don't know how anyone else thinks, be they male or female, I would have to say, I think like....me
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Did anybody do the "sex ID find out how your brain works" from the BBC? It is a website to accompany a documentary on this very subject. It gives you a series of tasks to do and then matches it up against the normal results for women and men... I got 52% female 48% male when I did it, but then again my step mother got something like 70% male... google bbc sex id to do it if you like, good fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Deb Weller View Post
    I don't think like a woman, at least not stereotypically.
    There is the crux of the matter. You all are making assumptions based on what you THINK a person should think like. I love how people who want acceptance seem to always have preconceived notions of others.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by May(be) View Post
    I'm against the idea that one thinks "like a woman" or thinks "like a man". The gendering of thought is probably what led society to be fractured and rigid in its perceptions in the first place. Either/or dualities keep us from realizing our full potential as people.

But then again, the female brain and male brain are physically and structurally different from the other, so maybe I’m just being naive.
    I don't think you are being naive. The differences in brain structure simply mean that women are more adept at certain types of thinking and men are more adept at others. Men can visualize spatially, while women tend to have an advantage in verbalizing. Hence the tendency for men to excel at maths, while women do better in the languages. This of course is a simplification, but we are speaking here of tendencies. Both sexes can do maths within the limits of their own capabilities, and both sexes can develop language skills. If you present a man and a woman with the same problem, the man will tend to visualize the situation and rationalize a solution using logic. The woman will tend to utilize her intuition, instincts and reasoning abilities to formulate a solution. The difference has little to do with the topic, but more to do with the approach.

I agree that "think like a woman" or "think like a man" are meaningless expressions because they are not absolutes, but are just tendencies. These tendencies become more entrenched because of environmental factors. Boys are brought up to emphasize their masculine qualities and their approach to thinking, while girls are brought up to emphasize their feminine qualities and approach. The big difference is that boys are also instructed to suppress any of the feminine qualities while girls are encouraged to express their masculine qualities where appropriate.

Human nature is a huge collection of various qualities, capabilities, instincts and sensitivities. Every individual possesses each of these, but the relative extent of each can vary widely from individual to individual. This collection of human characteristics that we happen to possess in our own unique blend is what comprises our personality. Our culture, through the ages, has developed a system of categorizing some of these characteristics as being more applicable or useful to the male, while others are viewed as being more appropriate for the female. Some are looked upon as being useful to both sexes. When viewed in this light, it is logical that everybody, both male and female, possesses both masculine and feminine qualities.

It is unhealthy for an individual to totally suppress any aspect of their personality, and the stronger it might be, the less healthy that suppression becomes. Such suppresion leads to stress, which can eventually be a killer. Some men have discovered that the simple act of wearing female clothing, allows their mind to give vent to their more feminine qualities, while others have found alternate methods. Some never find any solution, but may require none because their feminine tendencies are much less pronounced. For the crossdresser, this need not have any connection with feeling like a woman, wanting to be a woman or being confused about one’s “gender”. It is purely the expressing of an aspect of their overall male identity that they are otherwise forced to suppress.

This is not so much a problem for women, because of the encouragement they recieve throughout their lives to express their masculine qualities. Also, excesses of certain personality traits or differences in brain development could lead to confusion as to one's mental concept of their sex. This has come to be referred to as transgenderism and in the extreme can lead to transexualism.

The “gendering” of thought is indeed sad, and everyone should be allowed to be who they are without any societal recriminations.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica27; 10-16-2012 at 03:38 PM.

I think like 'me' either way and thats hard enough... Well, not entirely true. I do seem to react differently, when dressed the sharp edge is gone so to speak. I usually am a very verbal person, outspoken opinions and so on, but when dressed up that hard edge dissapears (so my gf tells me).

Aspiring Member
    My wife always said that I think like a woman...I am starting to think so too.

While I can think that I feel somewhat like a woman, I can't really put myself into a woman's place without having had their life experience and, certainly, without having the same wiring in the brain that they have. Yes, I'm saying men and women think differently. No scientific proof, but it's a belief. The thought processes aren't better or worse for men and women, just somewhat different. I find women incredibly sexy, but at the same time I've always related better to them (as friends, not just lovers) than men. So, maybe dressing puts me just a bit closer to them.

Platinum Member
    Having never been a GG I can't say that I know how a woman thinks. I know the stereotypical male and female models...but suspect that all of us, TG or not, can think in ways that may be characterized as male or female at different times and in different circumstances.

Sorry I will never know what it truly feels like to "Think like a woman" so I can't say.

I would love to say I've never thought like a woman, but I have been told by family and coworkers more times than I can count that I think like a woman, process information like one, etc. I usually get that comment right after I do something that I don't give a second thought about. I've had to think at times and rehearse things in my mind so I can look/act like a man (demonstrating that I think like the man people think I am supposed to be)...I know for sure that there are those who see right through me; I see it especially with the other ladies in my office. I'm happy though; I've always been that way and it's just who I am!...and I love it!

GG
    Interesting question, but utterly pointless. I have a vast collection of close girlfriends and I can readily say we all think differently. Very differently.

In fact, the only thing we all really have in common is our utter confusion over how men think! That, and a lifetime of social engineering that let's us be more open with our emotions, words etc. Though, some of my younger male friends are less concerned about what society thinks and are happily in touch with their 'feminine' sides, too.

Whatever that means.

Hi,

There are some very major differences between men & women that are inherint in each of us,

Of cause the first is for us in regard to haveing a womb giveing birth , & the prep for such , & thats just the start of our differences , our thinking is very different no matter what some think . im not a male never thought as one nore could i because of my differences, never related to or with men & those i did get along with had to be very understanding ,

I belive some were though they did not know what made me tick though i have found out others did understand i was different. yes i was percived as a male because of how i looked, after that there was nothing that would say male .

I did not struggle with who i was i struggeled with haveing to be around men my saveing grace was i did learn about things or had a gift to work with my hands , could i talk thier langage well i had to to be able to learn & comunicate . yet there were details i walked away from , as some things that were said by them & unbeknown to them was i could not relate with thier talk about women & thier degrading of us, so i had to get away from that,

Even though then could i have said im intersexed, dought that very much , more like they would have thought i was nuts or belonged in a nut house, i learnt early keep my mouth shut, school no different, abused,

There are core issues that are only womens , & how many men understand us , those who are G P's & the like, & then only a few, i do know many men & one detail stands out they do not understand us , end of, they have no idear, & never will.

Psychologically ..Mentalally ..& Emotionally We are very different. how im wired how i think is so different & its there ,

We can compliment each other we can not do some things because of how our bodys are ,
    I know some are saying they think like a woman , being one is very different, & for myself its in the being that seperates us .

The thinking side is one thing , its the core of who we are, that makes all the difference, & its whats in our makeup,

...noeleena...

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that I have never thought like a man - even when I was pretending to be one.

Apart from not really understanding what goes on in men's heads, I can base my opinion on what friends used to tell me whilst I was in denial. On more than one occasion a GG friend has said to the old me "It's easy to talk to you because you're more like a big sister".

I also tend to get very frustrated when I see obvious male posturing in discussions.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

When dressed i think like a woman .it feels right .i should say i think like myself

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha43 View Post
    I think like a man.

How women think is a mystery to me.

I'll second that -- except for the dressing, I'm all guy. A close second in the mystery derby is why I like to wear dresses

I really don't know if I think like a woman or a man; I would guess that I think like both mostly male sometimes and mostly woman sometimes so I guess I'm self centered, lol!!! I don't think like most males do and I'm constantly getting told that people around me are starting to forget that I was once a dare I say it? a MAN? Um, no... I was never a man as most people I know say they never considered my gender because I was to feminine to be a guy and yet I was a straight male so most kind of thought me as an inbetweener. I have been told though that I have a "Male energy" but I act so much like a woman and look the part that they tend to look over that, which I don't know what they mean by that really.

Angela
    Last edited by angpai30; 10-17-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: I kind of went off topic, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorri_c View Post
    Did anybody do the "sex ID find out how your brain works" from the BBC? It is a website to accompany a documentary on this very subject. It gives you a series of tasks to do and then matches it up against the normal results for women and men... I got 52% female 48% male when I did it, but then again my step mother got something like 70% male... google bbc sex id to do it if you like, good fun!
    I took the test here and scored as 50 towards the female side. It said the average score for women was the same and the average score for men was 50 on the male side.

First, a disclaimer: None of this applies to everyone. There will be women who think as men usually do, and men who think like women usually do, but they are in the minority. I will not get into arguments should you insist that you think like the opposite gender. Now then.
    Wow, what a thread full of misconceptions. While there are a few good lines of thought, for the most part, everyone seems to believe that 'thinking like a woman' is defined by thinking about topics that women think about more often than men do, such as relationships, clothing, being more sensitive, etc. But none of that involves HOW we think. Rather than re-write or quote entire books related to the differences between how males and females tend to think (and yes, I used the word TEND because like anything else, there's a bell curve at each end of the diagram, with some individuals in the middle as well), You can pick up simplified books by Barbara and Allan Pease about how men and women think differently, and if you want, look up their references to find out more (as I did).
    A few items, simplified to keep from writing a whole page on each one. Women speak in indirect speech, men in direct. Women navigate by landmark, men with distance and direction. Women interpret speech more with sound and pitch, men with literal meanings of words. Men are way more visually oriented, as what we see defines our lives, while women are relationship oriented and define themselves by their relationships. Male speech is defined by specific statements and problem solving. Women's speech will often seem completely random to men, because they bond with each other through talking about, well, everything; it's not primarily used for problem solving as it is for men. Some other interesting observations: Men don't like change, except in their mates/partners. Women do like change, except in their mates. Women accessorize, decorate and change their home and themselves, and often buy plain cars (by which I mean, they do not accessorize and modify their cars). Men decorate, and change, their cars, while their home and their wardrobe remains pretty basic decorative wise (this last will be a bone of contention because all crossdressers will argue that point because of our large female attire collection, but in our male wardrobe, well, it's usually pretty DRAB as we all know in comparison to what women wear: Example is simply shoes. How many men have huge collections of mens shoes? Very, very few. But nearly every woman has at least ten pairs of footwear, usually more). For women, sexual activity is primarily about intimacy; for men, it's primarily about orgasm. Yes, both can enjoy both, but the primary drive is usually different for each.
    Well, that should stir up the hornet's nest. Now go read some of the Pease's books, you'll be amazed at what you find.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

There is a lot of guy and a lot of girl in my thoughts. I have always been sensitive, and am attracted to decorating, musical theater and of course cloths, but I also have a very macho side to me. My wife and I have always joked that she thinks more like a man and I like a woman, now if I could just get that to translate into an open mind.............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain