Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wife Found Out, Totally Freaked and Wants Divorce!

as you said it is a "last straw". Honestly, this could have been anything, like leaving the seat up on the toilet. Kind of a Clint Eastwood moment..."Just give me a reason".

I guess counseling is a good idea. I don't see that if there are so many issues that finding your clothes in a closet is a last straw thing. But here is my take.

First "Love don't leave". That has been my mantra for years. Love doesn't choose fights. Love doesn't bring back up (the pastor who you KNOW already has a negative opinion of what you are doing). Love tries to reason and discuss. But love never walks away. Love doesn't demand a divorce although love can accept a divorce when it knows that both parties will be happier. I like that you don't want to give up but stop and consider what this will cost YOU emotionally. It sounds like she wants out. Do you want her to stay and be unhappy?

Second, you are in a no win situation. You need to take the best offer here. If you stop dressing, what are the other issues? Do you sit there and take what she throws? That isn't a marriage. Seems there was something about for better or worse ...yadayada. I don't remember the part where you said "I will be your puppet, I will give up who I am, I will become whatever you want" Works both ways. Turn it around a bit. What if you demand she live with who you are and your dressing? You don't even think in that manner...why should she get the control? This is a partnership not a monarchy. Equal, fair right? If she gets her way totally, how are you going to feel? Is this a "I'd rather be miserable with you than be happy alone" things?

OK go see a counselor, a NEUTRAL counselor. Not the pastor (let him tend the flock and not worry about you). Not someone someone recommends here who is a gender therapist. Not clergy. Someone who does not have a vested interest in you at first. You be fair, she be fair. Level playing field.

Personally I don't see a good end here. But you want to try. Never say you didn't try, but know when you need to quit and be your own best friend. You should not live in misery with someone who doesn't want to be your equal or be with you. Life is short, don't make it shorter
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear of your problems , But I have said this many times , a good marriage should be based on love , trust and most importantly honesty , obviously if you have been married for 23 years and the she has only just found out about your crossdressing then there hasn't been a lot of honesty going on , if you put yourself in her shoes and you found out something this significant about your wife , then you would probably blow a fuse as well , also there being other issues in the background then this is probably a deal breaker so to speak , talking might help , but dont hold your breath , I'm sorry to be pessimistic , but good luck anyway ,

I am sorry to hear that you and your wife are going though this ,when a wife finds out about her cross dressing husband it can shake the core of the best of marriages so it is not surprising to hear what has happened , if she is seeking support from her pastor maybe it would be a good idea to find out the pastors view on cross dressing to see what you are up against.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Quote Originally Posted by Layla Michelle View Post
    ...and with our pastor present demanded she wants a divorce....
    Don't most religions frown upon divorce as a solution to marital problems? Seems kind of odd that your wife would vent that thought in front of a religious leader. It would not seem to be a good way to get the pastor on her side.

Sounds like you need to sort out several issues here. First, who is more important in your wife's worldview, you or the pastor? Second, you've said that this was the last straw, so it seems that the problem isn't the CDing at all. You need to address the real problems. Third, are there children involved? They change the equation considerably.

As others have said, get yourself a good lawyer right now. You will need it.

Been there and done that.

Jodi

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I'm sorry you're going through this.

A marriage needs to be strong, to navigate the crossdressing successfully ... providing the husband tells the wife and she doesn't find out on her own. This spells disaster even in a good marriage.

If you do go to marital counseling, I'd focus on all your other, unresolved marital issues and also work on improving communication skills. And if the two of you get on the same page again, then you can begin to address the crossdressing.
    I agree 100% only I would like to add a Christian perspective. I recently went through almost the exact same experience. Our pastor suggested a good therapist who was VERY helpful, but ultimately my wife ultimately dropped out of therapy and we are now divorcing. I would say to focus on therapy first and lawyers second. Without even knowing your situation, I assure you that cross dressing is not the only issue you are facing in your marriage. Focus on being Christ-like toward one another. Pray for your family and give your wife a chance to digest this new information.

I am so sorry for all you are going through. I know how hard the emotions can be and how easy it is to start hating yourself. Don't do it! Cross dressing is not something you chose or some sin you committed. It's no different than being left handed. God loves you and you are not wrong, just different.

Miriam
    I'm sorry to hear that things have reached a head, and especially that your wife has chosen to make it so confrontational. Perhaps things can be remedied via counseling, though I sense from your writing that you're probably well beyond that point.

As others are said, your first step should be to a lawyer, even if you're going to try to patch things up. This is the only way that you can ensure your rights and property are protected. The lawyer will tell you to take a number of steps, many of which might seem unnecessary but are designed to protect you and make a division of assets go more smoothly if necessary.

I was at a similar point in life 4 years ago - 48 years old and getting out of a 22 year marriage. While it seemed that I was at the end of my life as I knew it at the time, it was really the beginning of the most wonderful years of my life. I was incredibly fortunate to meet a wonderful woman with similar values and interests, and who is also very supportive of my crossdressing. Your results may vary, but there are a lot of wonderful women out there, and one of these days you'll be ready to explore the possibilities again.

While divorce can be ugly, it's often quite possible to work things out amicably and reasonably - especially if both parties are intent on doing so and manage the greed of their lawyers (or stick to reasonable lawyers). While often viewed as a problem in and of itself, divorce can be a liberating solution to problems that have dominated your life for years.

Best wishes as you work through this, and please feel free to send a Private Message if you'd like to discuss in more detail.

Miriam

Smile Let her go.

[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]
    After 23 years of marriage most of which included my cross dressing as a core part of our intimate relations, my former wife decided to leave and we ultimately divorced. I was very shocked because I thought that she had totally accepted my feminine nature but the culture she came from caught up to her head. She referred to me as a "F... faggot."
    The breakup was hard but I had a great deal to nurture my soul - accepting children, great dogs, beautiful gardens, my coaching career, yoga, and more.
    After two years of learning to feel really good about myself and my feminine
    androgynous side, I feel in love with a beautiful lady who is totally accepting of my cross dressing. We had all kinds of things in common (most centrally a love of gardening) and she fell in love with me and because I gave her so much love and peace, she came to love the woman in me.
    I did not find this real love of my life until I was 55 so what I am suggesting to you is to feel at peace with yourself including your feminine side, love yourself, and relax. There is love out there for you. Maybe if you get a peace of land it will help you find your center.
    One of my favorite sayings ( from Kahil Gibran I think) suggests:
    "Solitude is a silent storm that breaks down all your dead branches but it sends your living roots deeper into the heart of the living Earth."
    Peace, Stephanie G

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Since your wife's first move was to involve a third party who is part of your life already, rather than a disinterested counsellor, I fear this will not end well. Run, do not walk, to a good domestic law attorney.

Sorry to hear this Layla. I am only a couple of hours away. It is hard to crossdress here in Texas and let people know ahead of time.

I told my wife right away. To be sure everything worked out we even waited three years to have kids. It took decades for her to divorce me but it finally came to that this year. Now I think she always loathed me. I never dressed in front of others even for Halloween. I am deep in the closet and always worried she would tell others and she did.

You have been married for 23 years and keep this a secret. I was married much longer, I don't see how your marriage can survive. I hope it does work out well though.

sorry to hear about your problems.. I'm 39 never been married..mainly because i enjoy dressing up and couldn't ever fine anyone who accepted it. keep your head up its a part of who you are.. if she cant love you for who you are.. you are n the wrong place.

Silver Member
    Trying not to lose it but beginning to feel worthless as a soon to be single 48 year old with cross dressing fantasies. Who am I and where do I go from here?
    Layla - You have received some excellent suggestions. I would simply add that you need to take care of yourself. It seems that you already accept that you will soon be alone - and you feel miserable. I have also been there and can only assure you that it is normal to have intense feelings of sorrow, regret, failure, loss when a marriage ends, especially after 23 years. You do need a therapist - for yourself as well as any final effort to save your marriage. You do need to find a lawyer - a 23 year marriage will most likely involve a lot of legal agreements. You do need friends, sleep, exercise, activities, family. If your marriage is ending, sadness is normal - and it will pass. Be strong. Accept what has already happened, and prepare yourself for your future. You are nor worthless - you are human. Things will get better.

I think that any advice I could give has already been said - try a neutral counselor but get a good lawyer if for no other reason but to try to keep her from using your crossdressing as a weapon against you. I have been married for over 20 years myself anf my wife does not know about my crossdressing either. I'm afraid she would react in much the same way. So, believe me, you have my support and best wishes for a good outcome

Originally wanted to dress up for Halloween. We've had our marriage issues. I only recently dressed in femme (about two weeks ago) and had my items in a back closet.
    Well, she found them, freaked the hell out and with our pastor present demanded she wants a divorce. It was the last straw in our already troubled marriage for her. I do enjoy cross dressing as it turns out but never wanted to lose my wife of 23 years. Trying not to lose it but beginning to feel worthless as a soon to be single 48 year old with cross dressing fantasies. Who am I and where do I go from here?
    As I understand your post, you never crossdressed until two weeks ago and your wife found your "things". Now she wants a divorce.

There have been a lot of suggestions and I wouldn't disagree with them, but it seems to me that your wife has not been happy with the marriage and is using this one incident to get out of it. I mean if you got rid of your stuff and promised to never dress as a woman again, would everything be fine? I doubt it.

A lot of marriages end in divorce. You are not alone. If you both do not love each other, if it's one sided, your marriage might continue but it won't be pleasant for either of you. Life is too short to live it in an unhappy marriage and you don't get another life.

My advice is to find out if your wife really loves you. If she does, work on what needs to be done to save the marriage. If not, cut your losses and go your seperate ways. Yes, it will be hard to start over at age 48, but how about age 58 or 68?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I do enjoy cross dressing as it turns out but never wanted to lose my wife of 23 years. Trying not to lose it but beginning to feel worthless as a soon to be single 48 year old with cross dressing fantasies. Who am I and where do I go from here?
    Marriages can be saved, even with the crossdressing being accommodated. But it's also a sad fact that some wives cannot tolerate a crossdressing husband. I had such a wife. If it turns out that your marriage cannot be saved, there IS life for a single 48-year old crossdresser. And it might surprise you how GOOD that life can be. Hang in there. Life goes on and can be very good. Just different.

[QUOTE=Stephanie G;2996472][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

One of my favorite sayings ( from Kahil Gibran I think) suggests:
    "Solitude is a silent storm that breaks down all your dead branches but it sends your living roots deeper into the heart of the living Earth."

That is really beautiful.
    [SIZE="4"]Momarie[/SIZE]

Layla - Curiosity kills me. So what was the pastors opinion/roll for being there? Was he there as a witness to the discussion or was he called there for guidance?

I agree that you should see an attorney. If you have only been cross dressing for a couple of weeks, preparing for Halloween might but a thought to soften the tone.

Just a suggestion and best of luck.
    I never new how masculine I was until I tried to be a woman

Based on what I'm hearing, I'd say hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie G View Post
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]
    After 23 years of marriage most of which included my cross dressing as a core part of our intimate relations, my former wife decided to leave and we ultimately divorced. I was very shocked because I thought that she had totally accepted my feminine nature but the culture she came from caught up to her head. She referred to me as a "F... faggot."
    Over the 23 years, in the core part of your intimate relations, did things evolve that would have made your wife feel as if you were not into her as a woman? If a wife who embraced this in the bedroom for 23 years eventually gets turned off, it must be because she feels that her sexual needs are no longer being met. If the central part of your current relationship is gardening, it could be that sex is not all that important to your new partner, and the two of you are living more like companions than lovers? Don't mean to be personal, but I wonder if you're comparing apples to oranges.
    Reine

Banned Read only
    I would suggest marriage counseling with a qualified counselor, not a pastor. I would also suggest consulting a divorce attorney as to the division of assets in Texas. Be prepared. I know some others above have already stated, what do you expect for keeping a secret for 23 years. Her revulsion really doesn't have anything to do with keeping a secret. It's plain and simple, she does not appreciate cross dressers. It is usually social mores and societal roles she holds that are in conflict with accepting cross dressing. Reine may be right with the aspect you are not fulfilling your duties as a husband. But, Reine may be entirely wrong. Sometimes the revulsion of cross dressing is enough to undo any of the marital vows exchanged at the altar. If your wife is so adamantly opposed to cross dressing, then forget satisfying her in the bedroom. She will have an image of you en femme, even if she never saw you en femme.

Some couples grow old together. Some couples grow apart. Some spouses need an excuse to blame the other rather than just acknowledging the inevitable amicably.

Try the counseling. BUT, do not make any commitments to expunge who you are.