Thread: Intimidated

Intimidated

I go shopping and look through tons of outfits but I can't figure out anything to get. I'm not sure how to go about advancing my fashion sense so I can start putting things together.

Part of it may be that I feel like I'm too fat to pull off some of the outfits I guess. I did find a cute skirt at goodwill but I was still too fat for it :/

Do women just steal outfit ideas from what they see other women wearing? I don't see how you could just look at a shirt on a rack and go OH! that looks good and I know what to pair it with too!

Edit: Not actually that fat but it almost feels like nothing will look good until I hit six-pack status.
    Last edited by max; 10-23-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    “Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”

Mary Anne Radmacher

Silver Member
    I can feel your pain with a lack of fashion sense. The weight issues you have add to the challenge and maybe your desire to dress may help you get slimmer if that is a desire (Drs. think it is healthier too). Gg's have been learning those skills all of their lives and many of us haven't. In the beginning I simply wore one black item on the bottom (black does give a slimming effect) and one item in a color other than brown. I would match my shoes to the bottom and i would have a basic outfit. I then spent some good $$ for a image consultant to help me learn the finer points. There are many sites to visit and if you are a yahooer, you can post links and get the teen girls to approve or disapprove your fashion posting in Yahoo Answers. Good Luck, Sara

Yes they do..... women get fashion ideas from other women and magazines and tv..... just about everywhere.... I love going through magazines and store catalogs and picking out outfits that might look good on me.... then I go to the store and find them and try them on to see for sure... more than half the time they do not look as good as I thought.... that's why trying things on is so important to me......
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Another thing to consider is where you are shopping. If you go to a store which actually merchandises their product (as in displays different looks, different combinations), you'll see tons of ideas as opposed to those stores which expect you to simply pour through their racks to find something that inspires you.

I found this to be true yesterday. I had gone back to one of my little boutiques to try on a couple gray tops. Neither one was doing it for me so in an effort to find something to match these gray pants I have, saw a displayed combo featuring a predominantly wine/burgundy top and some gorgeous matching skinny jeans/leggings. I originally tried on the top and fell in love, it was perfect and went with the pants I was wearing. But I couldn't resist, the merchandising worked in that I also tried on the matching leggings and I was beyond sold. Add the long, soft & luxurious scarf that was also on the display and I had myself a complete new outfit without even intending to go there in the first place.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Aspiring Member
    Sometimes I look online, take a snapshot of the clothing and paste them in a PowerPoint file and combine the different items I'm looking at. That helps with the item to item part, but does it look good on me? Have to try it on to really find out. But, returns are easy if you can't go to the stores to try on things.

I also look as magazines, TV, and women my age (age is important to me, in my fifties) as I go out to blend in and pass as a woman, not as a guy in a dress.

I think I'm lucky in that I seem to pick out thinks that work 90% of the time. So, just observe, get some fashion magazines (great for makeup looks too) and surf the web.

If you concentrate you will succeed, good luck.

Platinum Member
    Well, self image aside, you need some models. First, what do women around you typically wear. Second place to look are catalogs...look for companies that cater to your age, body type and preferences .

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    I go shopping and look through tons of outfits but I can't figure out anything to get. I'm not sure how to go about advancing my fashion sense so I can start putting things together.

Part of it may be that I feel like I'm too fat to pull off some of the outfits I guess. I did find a cute skirt at goodwill but I was still too fat for it :/

Do women just steal outfit ideas from what they see other women wearing? I don't see how you could just look at a shirt on a rack and go OH! that looks good and I know what to pair it with too!

Edit: Not actually that fat but it almost feels like nothing will look good until I hit six-pack status.
    For the most part, "fat" and "fashion" don't go together. Often what looks really cute in a size 8 is awfull in a size 14.

As Kim pointed out, you should be shopping at stores that cater to your age and size. Shopping at thrift or second hand stores is hit or miss, usually "miss".

And be observant. Go to the mall and watch the women walk by. Note what they are wearing. Note what looks best on "fat" women. If you have a wife or girlfriend, ask for her advice. I'll hold something up in a store and ask my wife "Is this me?". She will say "It could be." or "No, I don't think so."
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

What makes it hard for me is when looking in the plus size section of any clothing store on line, the models wearing the clothes are skinny! Not plus size. Sometimes they do use larger girls to model but mostly it is thinner women and the outfit could not possibly be in the size they are trying to sell which means it will look completely different on me. There is no way to really know if an outfit will look good on you without trying it on. Over all I have been pretty lucky and do not often have to return an item but sometimes I get it and it is just awful.

Picking the style is not hard for me as I spent most of my life shopping for my spouses who did not like to shop, and I am pretty good at making nice looking combinations.

I have a wardrobe of clothes that attest to my failed fashion sense.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It took me many years to figure it out. I too wasted a lot of money on things, sizing is hard but also style. And lastly acquiring a base of items to build off. Try to find one complete look , head to toe. Then you can build off from there. Tru to avoid impulse buys that dont make sense withthe rest. In time you will start to know what works

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Don't let your size hold you back there are plenty of cute fashions out there.
    I was super plump for a while and still found some great outfits.Lane Bryant,Catherine's are very good places to look.

Girl I know how you feel. I go a spare tire and really want to get built. That way I can get a beautiful dress. But If you are just one pound over weight pr what ever then you should still get the shirt.
    You where born this way.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Max, if u don't like your figure, CHANGE IT! I'm surprised Karren didn't mention corsets in her post. Girdles and hip/butt pads r also useful in creating a more fem figure. My natural figure is completely male looking.

So, I never dress without some sort of figure assistance! I suggest u try this, too!

I've seen some large girls become fem and attractive using a corset!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sara Jessica nailed it. Better stores merchandise together things that go together. If you possibly can, ask a SA for help, it's what they are there for. I you want a little more stealth, do the birthday present thing. Hold up two items, and ask if they work together, chances are the SA will not only guide you on that, but recomend acessories to you. Yes, watch GG's all day, and borrow, beg, or plain steal thier fashion sense. I have a family member who is rich as stink, and looks like hell all the time, yet another relative, who gets by, always looks like a magazine cover. Don't assume GG's find it easy. Starting out, keep it simple. A demin skirt, or black pencil skirt, goes with almost any top. A white blouse goes with any bottom. Untill you're confident, don't mix prints, and don't go monochrome. Black pumps, nude hosiery, and silver jewellery go with everything. My humble opinion- despite adolescent fantasies, streetwalker doesn't look good on anyone. (I'll catch some flack for that one)- Good luck, Celeste

Let me add, If you buy it from a retail store, take it home and it doesn't fit or just doesn't look good on you, you can return it for a refund or exchange.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda