Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a genetic pre-disposition to crossdressing?

My personal belief is that having GID is similar to being left-handed. There is a genetic predisposition, and the fact that scientists can't identify the specific gene that causes it does not mean it doesn't exist. We nurture children to write with their right hand, but some just don't work that way. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just different.

I don't think anyone knows whether it is genetic or not but I do believe that it is definitely learned behavior. Most of us are curious animals - I know I am and one day just out of curiosity, I picked up a pair of my sister's nylon panties and I put them on. This was during my early teen years and there was instant arousal. Well, we all know what happened after that. I did not need to put on panties to become aroused, it was simply that it seemed to intensify it because the act was of course taboo. Again, repeated wearing panties and then wearing panties became associated with pleasure. More curiosity led to trying on a bra and a slip and other items and again, with more dressing came more reward. Fast forward a good many years and while at some level, arousal or excitement is still there when I dress, so is there just a comfortable feeling of enjoyment. So, whether it is genetic or not - who knows? But I definitely have learned to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Lacey New; 10-31-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Im not aware of any male in my immediate family or extended family that is a cd or a ts. I have two sons both are ALL male that leaves me, so I dont think genetics has any effect.

There is most likely a tremendous number of us who, because of the inner feelings of shame or embarrasment about wanting to behave feminine in any way, want to believe that it's not our fault, that nature or someone else is responsible for our crossdressing. Add to that, we are men; we're supposed to be 'strong' enough to hold back the urge to do this, so 'giving way' to the desire to crossdress isn't masculine, so we want to distance ourselves from that, too. So, people simply like to believe that it's genetic. I look at it like I look at religion; if it makes someone feel good to believe it, then go ahead. Just don't assign those ideas to me.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

It is definitely genetic. Many of us start feeling this way since childhood.

Kinda off and on into genealogy and haven't found any other people like myself in my tree thus far. On the other hand, there is a high likelihood I was exposed to DES (diethylstilbestrol) in-vitro and, back in 2005, there was a study possibly linking such expose to gender identity issues (among other things).
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -- Mark Twain

Josie on Google Plus

Josie's Flickr Photostream

Dual Spirits (My Blog)

Cross dressing by it's definition, no. The reason behind the desire to do it I think is very possible for a lot of CD's. I have the reasons why I was drawn to it figured out pretty good but, I was also a twin but my mother miscarried the other fetus 4 months into the pregnancy. I was also 2 months premature. I have often thought there could be a link in there somewhere as my brain didn't grow to to what it should have while inside my mother. The last 2 months of development were outside of the womb. Who knows what kinds of effects that can have on chromosomes and such.

Isn't it scientifically fact that all fetus start out 'female' and the male elements develop throughout the term of a pregnancy? I thought I heard or read that somewhere.

Of course there is no scientific data to suggest that, none that I am aware of but it's an interesting theory for sure.
    Last edited by Soriya; 11-25-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    According to the many doctors that I have talked to over the years the correct answer to the question asked in this thread is NO!! Crossdressing is what people do to satisfy themselves. You can think that it is genetic, but it really is not. Yes there are people who are born bi-sexual, but they are very,very rare!! The vast majority of MTF crossdressers dress enfemme because they want to, not because their bodies tell them to!! I have been crossdressing for over 60 years, and I do it simply because I like to. If my children, or my dear girlfriend, ever told me to stop, I would!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by Soriya View Post
    Cross dressing by it's definition, no. The reason behind the desire to do it I think is very possible for a lot of CD's. I have the reasons why I was drawn to it figured out pretty good but, I was also a twin but my mother miscarried the other fetus 4 months into the pregnancy. I was also 2 months premature. I have often thought there could be a link in there somewhere as my brain didn't grow to to what it should have while inside my mother. The last 2 months of development were outside of the womb. Who knows what kinds of effects that can have on chromosomes and suc

Isn't it scientifically fact that all fetus start out 'female' and the male elements develop throughout the term of a pregnancy? I thought I heard or read that somewhere.

Of course there is no scientific data to suggest that, none that I am aware of but it's an interesting theory for sure.
    I was born OCT 29 was was suppose to born Dec 17 (I weighted 3 pounds 8 oz) maybe I was not ready to leave the comfort of a woman. (maybe trying to get a womans comfort again) don't know
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

I was a preemie also, about 6 weeks. Back in 1948 this was.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Well, I developed into to it. I'm sort of a big guy. But Betty is who I really am.
    Genetically destined for this? How can anyone tell?
    Last edited by betty1253; 11-25-2012 at 11:44 PM.