Thread: Transgendered in 1950

Transgendered in 1950

My 83 year old Aunt spent the storm with us yesterday. She is a wonderful lady who knows about me being a cross dresser. No power makes for some interesting conversations and we started on gay rights and transgendered people. She told me that in her town in New Jersey after the war there was a person in town named Mary who everyone knew was transgendered. Or as Aunt Katie said “everyone knew she was a man.” Mary who grew up in town went away to fight in WWII, When she came back started living as a woman. From what I gathered from my Aunts conversation, Mary attended church, worked as a clerk at a local Coal and Lumber company and took care of her mother. What surprised me was the level of acceptance she seem to have had in the community. I sure there was harassment and bigots but she seemed to have found a niche. This was the 1950’s!, Mary moved away after her mother died. I wonder what became of her.
    I wonder what her story was. Was Mary a transgendered veteran who after the hardship of war decided the heck with everyone I’m going to be myself? Wow it makes you think.
    Has anyone ever heard of similar stories?

That's quite interesting Paula! I could imagine things were differant back then but it sounds like even then there was some acceptance! Thanks for sharing!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

It does make you wonder what gives when the level of acceptance was at about zero. Having a baby out of wedlock. That meant selling the house and moving away.
    Oh! the shame of it all.
    Now days....
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Might depend on the size of the town and community involvement. During those times, the community as a large tended to look out for some of its unusual citizens. That she moved away could suggest that she may have stayed only to care for her mother. Once she lost her mother, the tie was gone and she looked for a fresh start.

Aspiring Member
    The story of Christine Jorgenson (another war vet) was all the rage after WWII. You should take the time to google it. Very interesting and "he" made a lovely woman.

Silver Member
    Listen guys. The 1950s were not the dark ages. I know. I was there. We had our share of weirdos. And we had our share of acceptance. And we certainly had our share of intelligent, caring, citizens. Often the "good old days" are an illusion. Did you know that over HALF the pregnancies in the Pilgrim colonies were out of wedlock?

S

Wow, Paula great story....my 92 year old Dad came to stay with us and he doesn't know about me. He also lives in Asbury Park which is a huge LGBT town, and I feel he's missing out on a big part of who I am.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura912 View Post
    Might depend on the size of the town and community involvement. During those times, the community as a large tended to look out for some of its unusual citizens. That she moved away could suggest that she may have stayed only to care for her mother. Once she lost her mother, the tie was gone and she looked for a fresh start.
    Maybe that was the reason folks left her alone...

After the war, vets where given a lot of respect, and a lot of tolerance, "it must have been something that happened to him in the war poor thing".
    I don't know where you grew up, but I'm a product of the fifties, and it wasn't all that tolerant in my town. Boys where expected to be boys, wear crew cuts, man up and be tough, and there was nothing worse than being seen as a "sissy" Things started to change at the end of the fifties and early sixty's.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.