Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family issues- any advice?

Jennifer Wallace

Family issues- any advice?

Well my heart was broken last week when my son (19) announced that Mom told me what you did last weekend Dad, and I'm disgusted by you. So my wife is confiding in my son that I crossdressed while they were away, and he says he 's disgusted and hates me. The both want me to seek therapy to stop. I've come so far standing up for myself recently that this hurts me so much, I need to express my feminine side, not surpress it as I have tried to do in the past. I don't mind the idea of therapy, but I know they think it will help me stop, far from it, I think if I was true to myself I'd be Jennifer more, not less. Any advice, especially from those with sons would be welcomed- I'm just so destroyed by this now.
    Jenny

Banned Read only
    This is a perfect opportunity to accept their proposal for therapy and have them join you. They will learn a lot about themselves as we'll as you.

Seems to me that therapy might be a good idea for everyone. Perhaps undertaking it would give them the chance to understand you a little better. I think they may be a bit mistaken about therapy helping you to stop, though. If you do go down that road, make sure to find a therapist who specializes in gender issues - not some cowboy church counselor with bible in hand, of course. Good luck to you (:
    "She ain't waiting 'til she gets older, her feet are makin' tracks in the winter snow.
    She got a rainbow that touches her shoulder, she be headed where the thunder rolls."

-Van Halen, "Secrets"

If nothing else, the therapy will only confirm that this is an integrate part of who you are! Just remember that their reaction isn't necessarily their attempt to oppose you. They may truly believe something's wrong. Once you go through therapy and it's revealed you're totally fine, maybe they'll accept this side of you you've held in for so long!

Banned Read only
    If their idea of therapy is to get you to stop, it will not work out. Beware of the choice of a therapist. If the therapist is predisposed to calling you a sinner destined for hell, nothing will change. If your wife and son become informed, then it will become their choice on how they proceed in life. Frankly, if your son hates you, he gave go see a military recruiter. He's of legal age to vacate your house. Then he will not have to worry about it.

A 19 yo male is just beginning real maturity. Even those areas of the brain are still developing. It sounds like he is giving the knee jerk reaction expected of the male to this situation which is one reason therapy will help with education. The other issue is why did your wife tell him? Was it an attempt on her part to get him on her side and put an end to this? If so, you and she need to do some talking and counseling together as well. How long has she known? If you all agree to therapy, make sure your expectations of what it will do for the family are the same. If either of them are thinking it will cure you, it will not.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    My only suggestion would be to seek therapy from a therapist that has some understanding with crossdressing. So you might have to search around a little. You don't want to find one with a bias, but one that will be fair with all of you.
    Dana Ryan

Gold Member
    Your son is an adult. Maybe not "established" but he is NOT some 6 year old schoolkid. You no longer should be living your life around that. You have paid your dues for having kids. It is time to live as you see fit.

Your son probably doesn't want you telling him how to live. He doesn't have a right to dictate your life either.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Jenny, I have two grown up sons that I love very much and I know they love me. We are very close.
    But if they found out that there Dad dressed in female clothing they would be very upset and certainly think less of me.

This unfortunately is the world we live in.
    But I am sorry this has happened to you Jenny. Give it time, you never know?

SUZY

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    Jenny, I have two grown up sons that I love very much and I know they love me. We are very close.
    But if they found out that there Dad dressed in female clothing they would be very upset and certainly think less of me.
    Suzy, here is what I say all the time -
    Relationships don't normally change when the TG part "comes out". Your kids might be a bit shocked but I doubt they would think or feel any less for you. You will always be "dad" no matter what but they would NOT think less of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    Suzy, here is what I say all the time -
    Relationships don't normally change when the TG part "comes out". Your kids might be a bit shocked but I doubt they would think or feel any less for you. You will always be "dad" no matter what but they would NOT think less of you.
    Thank you Nicale. That is a nice thing to say and you could me right.
    But I do know my sons better than you do, yes?

But a very kind thing to say and I appreciate it.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    Thank you Nicale. That is a nice thing to say and you could me right.
    But I do know my sons better than you do, yes?
    But a very kind thing to say and I appreciate it.
    True I don't know your sons. My experience though is that the TG factor doesn't usually change a relationship. Weak ones to begin with deteriorate more but strong ones stay strong. Well, spousal relationships aside but the rest, all is well.

Well kind of like say your kids DID find out - they would have to think, "We we gonna quit loving our dad cause of how he dresses?"

I don't know, I guess i just try to help people realize that our friends and family love us more than we think.

I have three young sons, with the oldest just entering puberty. I haven't told them what dad does, but i do plan to have that talk with each of them at the appropriate time. I have no idea what I am going to say, but that will come in time. My concern is my ex, who agreed to a divorce when she decided she was a lesbian. My boys already have a somewhat confusing home life. And I am worried that if she finds out about my cd, that she may let it slip in front of them. (my cd started after the divorce). I never felt the need for therapy, but as i go further with my dressing, I realize that it is confusing for me sometimes. Therapy can help, and the girls here are right. You need to find one that has a better grasp on the situation than a priest, or preacher, or other kind of church member. I wish you luck with your relationship with your son and wife. I hope the therapy will help them to understand, what we try to understand each and every day.
    If i knew then what i know now, i would have stolen my ex wife's clothes. I loved the way she dress

Megan Briana

You are in a terrible position as a husband and father. And I dought you would want to use my country and old style remedy for this problem. But to make a quick stab at it, first me and the wife would discuss her dession to tell the boy in the first place, because this may or maynot clear up a big part of it that would deffenantly affect hers and my further life together. Then I would seat the young man down and he could air his side and explain would obsessed him to make such blatant statements while living under my roof. After his explaination if he was apologentic enough to satify me he would be indocratated into the world of an adult. And his new rules would be layed out all of which would be non negosible and have the same consiquence on failure to follow. And then if he was not in a like mind to retract and appoligize the end results would be the same, he would be evected imediately and her too if she didn't like it or at least surport my decission. I know later on the judge may evect me and she could let him back in if she wanted to, but in the mean time I would be preparing my exit plan. That's just me though and no-one accused me of being overly understanding or politically correct!
    Last edited by franlee; 11-04-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

It seems like others are recommending family therapy, which could be a good idea. Many people think that crossdressing can be "cured" by various means. In family therapy your wife and son may learn more about you and your feminine side, that it's something you were born with, that will never go away, and to supress your feelings will only make them stronger. If they agree to counseling with you, they might a more sensitive and caring side of you as well. Tread lightly, don't insist on dressing, but let lifes natural course steer you.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

It would be in your best interest to find out exactly what she told him and how. At least in my case people don't "get it" until they've seen pictures of me. Then they realize it isn't some lingerie, sexual thing and more of a deeper thing. I don't know if he's had a fundamentalist type religious upbringing or not. If so, he may not be capable of thinking outside that little box. Good luck!

I raised my kids to be intelligent, kind, accepting individuals. Both my son and daughter have done me proud and accept both sides of me. I think they're the rule rather than the exceptions.
    Sally

Jennifer,

I am really sorry to hear about you son. I have had the same issue in my house. My daughter found out about Robyn about 6 years ago, then she went off to college. At the time she found out about Robyn she was kewl but did not want to see her. Over the past 6 years, she has flipped 100%. She does not like that I dress and that I go out as Robyn. I know she has talked with my older son about Robyn, and he shared with his girl friend who said she would never want to meet me, would never let me see any grand children. People flip and in my case my kids have flipped big time.

I am considering counseling but for me, not for anybody else. I am not sure how they will deal with me if I come out as TG???

Jennifer, if you want to talk, just drop me a PM because I feel your pain!

Platinum Member
    Challenge your wife and and son to join you in therapy, as Jennifer suggests.

Tonya, the SHOE monster! rocketscientist's Avatar
    Jenny, sounds as if your son is not accepting of alternative lifestyles. Or maybe just doesn't want to accept it because your his father. You need to keep the lines of communication open with him and your wife. Ask him why he thinks it's "disgusting". Make it clear you are still the same as you have always been. If you do seek therapy, make sure you find a doctor who is qualified in gender related issues,NOT the local pastor! It will be a learning experience for your wife and son as well. Any therapist worth his salt will tell them that you are doing nothing wrong and cannot change what you are. Hope it all works out for you hun. Best wishes and hugs,Tonya
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" = Oscar Wilde

Just make sure the Therapist is one of Your choosing...and that They go with you ..

Christa
    " If the dress fits..."

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferx View Post
    So my wife is confiding in my son that I crossdressed while they were away
    Hi Jennifer

What's going on with the wife that she did not check in with you regarding telling any of your children? Are there other issues involved?
    This is going to be a good one to get out of, Sit down with your son and talk with him about yourself.

Thera

Like most here I also would suggest therapy for everyone. Being in the ministry myself I would also warn against most pastors or similar. It would just become a beat up on you session. Find someone who truly understands this issue. Maybe they both will be more understanding. It's a problem for me if my wife told my child without discussing it with me or giving me the heads up. For me that would be as painful as a son being disgusted with me. As for your son Franlee has a point. Unless he is in high school he's old enough to be out on his own. I know I would not continue to support my adult child who was disgusted with me. Each is entitled to their own opinion and I would give him time to come around but if he couldn't at least be tolerant I don't feel the obligation to pay for his scorn and contempt in my own home.

Hopefully therapy would be a big help to all concerned.

AnitaH
    I am becoming a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, I am ready to spread my wings, I have found my voice again for I am holding my head high and I am taking my power back.

“It is never too late to become what you might have been.” ~ George Eliot

HTTP://anitafog.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/anitah.fog

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Jenn, I see a bigger problem than your son finding out. Why would your "wife" tell him? Is she your ex? U didn't explain this in your post. If you're NOT separated or she's your ex, why would she betray u that way?

I think SHE needs therapy more than u or your son! To do such a despicable thing!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I think the advice is out there.
    A family therapy session with a X dressing knowledgeable therapist.
    It would be good to find out why your wife spilled the beans, and in what situation.
    So read all the alternatives given before making a decision
    You do have to confront it and not sweep it under the carpet.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferx View Post
    Well my heart was broken last week when my son (19) announced that Mom told me what you did last weekend Dad, and I'm disgusted by you. So my wife is confiding in my son that I crossdressed while they were away, and he says he 's disgusted and hates me. ................
    Important information has been left out:

Do you and "Mom" live together as a couple? Are you married to each other? Does "Mom" approve of your crossdressing, tolerate it, or dissaprove of it? Does your son still live at home? Are you supporting him or has he begun his adult life (job, home, etc.)?

If my wife told anyone about my dressing without my approval, I would be upset with her. Very upset. Of course, you can't control what other people do, but I would let her know how much she hurt me by doing this without my consent.

You son knows at this point. He's already "disgusted", you can't roll back the clock and change that. He will either begin to accept and understand you or he will pull away from his crossdressing father.

It's up to you and only you to choose to stop crossdressing or continue. Therapy may help them to understand why you do it (if they go to the therapist), but if it's not going to make you stop and they won't go, it's a waste of time and money.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda