Thread: I didn't think I could or would, but I did!

I didn't think I could or would, but I did!

Last night, for the first time in my life, I left my house dressed en femme.

I had made an appointment with a local TG friendly shop for a wig fitting and make-up consultation.

My wife does most of my shopping and happened upon this place a couple of years ago. Over time she has become friendly with a SA who has a background in wig making and professional cosmetology. He has been gradually expanding their shop and inventory to offer TG related goods and services. While I never specifically asked, I presume that he, himself, is not TG, but in talking with him it's clear that he has a large TG client base, closeted and not, and has been working with members of the TG community for many years.

He, by way of my wife, has been trying to convince me to come in for about a year. "Never," I said. "Never."

So fast forward to "never". I got up the nerve to call him on Friday and after some friendly banter set an appointment for 9pm Saturday. He told me to come dressed however I was most comfortable.

I knew I wanted to go presenting as female, but I didn't think I could. I figured I would probably over think everything as I most often tend to do and either go in drab or not at all.

But somehow this time was different. Instead of focusing on the "what ifs" I spent half the day yesterday trying to figure out what I might wear. I wound up in a simple outfit, aiming for one which I might otherwise choose if trying to blend; black leggings with a pink top and a brown faux leather jacket.

As the clock ticked closer to nine, the knots started forming in my stomach. What am I doing? I can't do this.

That's when my wife again reminded me that I could. And should.

So I got in the car a bit of a nervous wreck, blew her a kiss and drove off, spending the next few minutes trying to get used to driving in heels. Once I got comfortable my focus shifted back to what I was doing. I was feeling a bit of self consciousness (I wasn't wearing make-up and my wig was a bit less than believable) but that was overshadowed by a new found sense of pride for what I had already accomplished. I had overcome my fear. I had left the house. I could do this. I smiled.

I arrived and was greeted by him and another SA, both complimentary of my outfit. I sat and talked and connected with him repeatedly on both a professional and personal level for the next hour or so. He was aware that this was my first time coming out of my closet and told me repeatedly how honored he was that I came to meet him.

We started by trying wigs, but decided it best to do make-up first. He took time in explaining application techniques and showed me how to apply day and night looks. While I get the gist, I have a lot of practice ahead of me. This took another hour or so yet I had no idea of (nor was I thinking about) the time.

So now, fully made up, I started trying on wigs again. I tried on about six different styles. One really stood out in that it had dark roots which closely matched my natural hair color. It wasn't quite as long as I would have preferred, but I really liked how it framed my face.

I finally decided to check the clock to discover it was nearing 1:30 am! We had been having casual conversation throughout and I was having such a good time I had totally lost track of the time. I sent my wife a text to let her know all was well. I tried on a pair of simple black pumps which wound up fitting me well and headed for check out.

I left the shop at about 2:15. Good thing I'm a night owl. Bad thing I got only a few hours of sleep the night before.

I drove home exhausted yet more confident than ever in my appearance.

When I got home my wife came out to meet me. As soon as I opened the car door and the lights came on, her jaw dropped.

She has seen me fully presenting a number of times, but always with something at least a little bit off (wig color, poor make-up, etc.)

She looked like she was about to cry. She then gave me a big hug and told me I was beautiful.

Thanks for all of your inspirational accounts which helped fuel my confidence and in part made this possible.

It was truly a wonderful experience.
    tammysmiles

Silver Member
    Great story and experience, Tammy. You have a terrific wife and your happiness is very apparent. My wife is also very supportive and encouraging. She reacted similarly when she first saw me fully made up and dressed professionally. I hope you will continue to have continued successful and enjoyable experiences. I am happy for you.

Former Member
    Wow Tammy, That's wonderful! Congratulations!

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Great to hear you had such a wonderful time!

Congratulations Tammy Thank you for sharing such a positive and wonderful experience Now the "going out bug" is about to start biting in over drive
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Wonderful story, Tammy. I loved every minute of it, girl!! Be v-e-r-y proud you have a loving, supporting and encouraging wife. My wife, too, encourages me and I can't say enough about how blessed I feel to have her in my life. She is nudging me out little by little. Perhaps one day I'll have your experience.

Way to go girl, the first time stepping out is a special time for us. Also way to go Mrs Tammysmiles, supportive gg's are one of life's treasures.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    So happy for you that you got the courage to be yourself and go out for this. Your wife is a most wonderful person. I hope this did not deepen any conflict you say she may have. Seeing her man turn beautiful can be a shock. Of course you took some pictures at 3 in the morning, didn't you?...lol

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I love that story, Tammy! I'm glad you found confidence enough to make it happen.

I've stepped outside the front door en femme only a few times, technically "out in public" though no one else was around. But I hope to gain more confidence over time.

And treasure that wife of yours. GGs like her are few and far between. I'm fortunate to have one in my life myself.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Great story - great outimg

I think it is wonderful and with your wife's support you should go out more.
    I believe you will.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Tammy, truly a beautiful story. Congratulations to you and your wonderful wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ella View Post
    So happy for you that you got the courage to be yourself and go out for this. Your wife is a most wonderful person. I hope this did not deepen any conflict you say she may have. Seeing her man turn beautiful can be a shock. Of course you took some pictures at 3 in the morning, didn't you?...lol
    Barbara, to your point, fortunately it didn't serve to deepen the conflict but it did bring the hard questions back to the surface. I'm still not sure where all of this is going and will soon be seeking help to try to get it sorted out.

She did let me know that she was proud of me and that she really wants to try to figure out a way to somehow make this all work. This seems promising in that it's much more positive than many of the potential short and long term scenarios we have previously discussed.

And yes, there may have been a couple of pictures taken. I finally have an avatar and my profile is ever-so-slightly less empty

Thank you all for your kind comments.
    tammysmiles

Platinum Member
    Wonderful experience all the way around! Supportive wife, great service, new friends and a great new look! Where are you going tonight?

Tammy-
    Can you share with us where this service is located? Is it in MD, VA, DC?
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Quote Originally Posted by steftoday View Post
    Tammy-
    Can you share with us where this service is located? Is it in MD, VA, DC?
    It's in MD.

Just shoot me a PM if you're looking for specifics.
    tammysmiles