Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a name

Choosing a name

Does anyone have advice for choosing a femme name. At the moment, I am in a rut where I will think of a name, but reject it because I already know someone else with that name. For instance, "If I were born a girl, my mother would have named me [redacted], but that is too close to my sister's name, [Redaacted]," or "I kind of like the name [withheld], but that's my best friend's wife's name." I suppose I don't want to give the impression that I am some sort of name copycat.

Has anyone here chosen a name that a female friend happened to have? Did she react to it in a negative way? Am I perhaps just making a mountain out of a molehill? Will the Dynamic Duo be able to defeat the Clown Prince of Crime? (I got a bit carried away at the last bit).

You cannot find a name that will not show up in your life at some point so pick something that you and your SO like. The Dynamic Duo always win!

Aspiring Member
    Choose female names that use the same initials as you male names. Then you could change your checking account and credit cards to just show your initials. Example John Steven Doe becomes Jenni Susanne Doe. Then your documents would show J.S.Doe. Good luck! Leanne

I had a fascination with a girl on the weather channel....and that's where i picked mine from.

I have absolutely no idea how I came up with mine. My girl always asks me and I have not a clue. Somehow. it popped into my head when I first started dressing. One way you will find a name that suits your stlye girl. Wish I was more help for ya .
    Renee

Well my mother always told me if I was born a girl I would have been named Richelle. Surprise!!!!!!!! Here I am. You got your wish!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I've been running into the same sort of situation; I started a thread for it earlier this year.

My name is the same as my ex wife’s mothers dogs name!
    So what does that tell you about me then.

Don't overthink it. Pick one, use it for a while. If you don't like it, change it! That's the beauty of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Richelle423 View Post
    Well my mother always told me if I was born a girl I would have been named Richelle. Surprise!!!!!!!! Here I am. You got your wish!
    Does your mom know? How does she feel about it?

I don't actually use a female name even though I have one here. The name I would really like to use is the name I suggested for our first daughter. When I suggested it to my wife (22 years ago now) her face went pale and she told me that was her birth name (she was adopted). I would still love to use that name as I both like it and I think it fits both my personality and my last name but that would never work with my wife.

-Page

Depending upon where you plan to go with it, names that are somewhat androgynous can be convenient.

I do like the idea of matching initials, but of course you're unlikely to convince a state to issue a driver's license with only initials. Nice for credit cards, though.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

The right name could just come to you. That's how it worked for me. I don't remember knowing anyone with my name at the time, but I believe I was inspired by a friend from grade school. I believe she spells her name Meggan, though. Then again, the spelling just occurred to me as well. I do not know why.

I think you will instantly know when the right name comes to you.

Meghan
    "No matter how far you've gone down a wrong road, turn back."

~Turkish Proverb

My SO is the one that named me. Liked the name, kept it...
    You can't fly with the eagles if you sleep with the pigeons.

It depends what kind of name you want. I really wanted a drag queen name when I first got into it but that always isn't suitable for a lot of real world situations. I heard someone once say you can try to use the name of your pet and the name of a street you lived on for your last name.
    If I did that my name would have been Pepper River which wouldn't work but I did like the first name pepper if I wanted a drag queen name. Try to google names.

My wife came up with Launa for me.

Rule of thumb used to be- Your first dogs name, and your street name. ei. (dog) Princess (street) Columbia. This method is NOT flawless, I could only tolerate Jackass Highway134, for a couple of years. LOL.
    Launa- I was a drag queen for a few years. Named myself Chablis. Then 'midnight in the garden of good and evil' came out, and everybody asked if I got it from the book. I was first dammit! Anyway, changed it to Celeste, cause i was reading a book with a loveable heroine named Celeste.

Me.. I wanted a girl-girl name.. Never heard of a boy named Ashley..! Guess I may be surprised..
    Lyn is my SO's middle name with one less letter.. Seemed fitting!
    Samantha was a choice, but 'Sam' would be a male moniker..
    Come to find out, my SO named one of our cat's Sam as she wasn't sure if it was a boy or a girl.. easy to change to Samantha..
    Tho't of a 'D' to match my drab name, but there are four D's in the SO's family (sisters), so that was out..
    "If it feels good.. - Wear it"!

Resident huguenot Nocturnal Kaylee's Avatar
    I have gone though so many names its crazy. Even the name I used for this profile is now an old one. Switch it up until you find one that sticks. My girlfriend helped me pick out my latest(and hopefully last) name.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Lyn View Post
    Me.. I wanted a girl-girl name.. Never heard of a boy named Ashley..! Guess I may be surprised..
    Ashley is a British male name. 'Ashley Wilkes is the man long loved by Scarlett O'Hara in Margaret Mitchell's novel "Gone With the Wind".'

I originally took the name of a past girl friend, but that was not me. I came up with Diane while I was discussing my name with my SO. I like the name, and it seems to fit me.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura912 View Post
    You cannot find a name that will not show up in your life at some point so pick something that you and your SO like. The Dynamic Duo always win!
    So Batman it is then!
    Hope your SO likes being Robin.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Originally I thought of Vivian, but to me it sounded like an old lady name. So instead I picked Marilyn because I like Marilyn Monroe.

It must be in there somewhere! Look around in your brain!

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Well, my femme name wasn't always Amy. For awhile I used the name "Jaymie," named after a friend from college (and a derivative of my male middle name). When I talked with my mother and she revealed that she might have named me "Amy Gale" had I been born a girl...well, it felt too right to pass up.

Now I have fun practicing signing my full femme name.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

I chose a name that closely resembles my real name. If someone says - "Ellen!" it sounds much like "Alan!" so it works for me. I chose a last name too. The name my Mother said she would have used if I had been born a girl. So I am Ellen Paige.

From what I have seen the dynamic duo always defeat the clown prince of crime but only temporarily, as he always comes back in another episode!

Hey Doc 7, when the right name comes along you'll know it!

Using the dog-street method my name would be Jessie Rural Route 3.

Hugs,
    Stephanie Marie
    "Fear is the mind killer." Frank Herbert, Dune

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueler

"I make a GREAT team!"