Thread: Performing en femme

Performing en femme

So last night a friend of mine asked me if my band could play at his 21st birthday party, and this morning spoke with my band and confirmed with them that we can do it. This will cross two things off my bucket list in one night! The first is to play a house party, which is just an awesome thing for an extreme metal band to get to do, but the main thing is that as it's a costume party I'll finally be able to perform wearing my best gothic dress and heels. The guy who's party it is is a crossdresser himself and is out to everyone he knows, and has said everyone there will be totally fine with crossdressing.

Has anyone else ever played a live gig while fully en femme, I wanna know if there are any complications likely to arise with the actual performing itself? Can't think of any, I'll have face paint on under the eyeliner, mascara etc instead of foundation and I've performed with face paint countless times so I know the make up won't sweat off or anything like that. Just really excited overall!
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

I was at a large party-bar back in the 1980's, at a Halloween party. The huge place was packed and the band was great--and loud! I remember walking around doing shots and sipping beers and looking over the amazing big-city costumes you just don't see in the smaller towns. A guy in a Star Wars "creature" costume came up in front of me and said "hi." He looked like he had stepped out of the actual film! And, his voice was totally computerized and sounded just like the real character! Pretty good for 1980!

Anyway, I continued on through the bar and decided to give the band a look and when I turned the corner I noticed each and every member of the all male band was totally decked out in black satin french maid's uniforms! I was blown away to see the lead guitarist with the 5 inch heels while his gloss red fingernails flew across the frets for another lead-lick. Everybody was blown away and it was a great night! I say go for it.

No surprise there, shiny - that was the era of hair bands and glam rock like Poison, Platinum Blonde, Gary Glitter, and the New York Dolls. Crossdressing rockers were as common back then as sand on a beach...

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    No surprise there, shiny - that was the era of hair bands and glam rock like Poison, Platinum Blonde, Gary Glitter, and the New York Dolls. Crossdressing rockers were as common back then as sand on a beach...
    I don't think we'll have anything to do with Gary Glitter lol.

Jokes of questionable morals aside, I'm so excited for this, only a couple of weeks ago I went out en femme properly for the first time and now this ^_^

Congrats xdressed. You're in for the time of your life.
    I've done about 250 gigs dressed. The first one scared me half to death. I could have sworn I could hear people think 'that's a guy'. If you're just doing a few shows, where you leave from home, dressed, it's pretty straight forward. On the road it becomes like juggling hatchets. At our peak, about ten years ago, we had a crew of two, our own p.a. and lights, one engineered front of house, while the other ran lights. I could show up in time to check my gear, tune up and play. I arrived with my hair done, dressed, and made up. We were also usually given a trailer, or dressing room. 2008 hit, and the cutbacks were brutal. No more backstage amenities, no crew, usually a house p.a. and lights. I would show up in 'roadie Celeste' mode (jeans, tank, flats, traveling make up.) Load in, and set up my own gear, do the front of house mix by walking back and forth to the board with a wireless. I'd pray the house gear would last one more night. Then, if the motel is close, and time permits, change there. If not, change, hair, and make up in the van, with the dome light and a hand mirror.
    Glamorous, not at all. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I recently retired. Getting used to being a house wife.
    Enjoy it, whether music becomes your livelyhood, or a great hobby, you'll have a lifetime of great road stories. Get ready to have your hiney patted, and your boobs squeezed(accidentaly of course) more than the guys in your band...it comes with the territory. Now go out there and kick some butt.-Celeste

Absolutely, totally acceptable.
    It will be a great night, from what I have seen people love X dressing performers.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    Enjoy it, whether music becomes your livelyhood, or a great hobby, you'll have a lifetime of great road stories. Get ready to have your hiney patted, and your boobs squeezed(accidentaly of course) more than the guys in your band...it comes with the territory. Now go out there and kick some butt.-Celeste
    Our guitarist is a GG and one constantly bombarded by desperate males lol, so I think a bit more of that might go to her rather than me haha. Regardless I'm so excited for this. Will be getting changed there as the party is in a kinda dodgey area and is not one I'm familiar with so I'll be playing it safe