Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Careers where you can dress full time

Careers where you can dress full time

Any suggestions on careers where you could dress full time? Or companies that are ok with dressing?

Hi Megan,

You might want to check out this website for job opportunities.

http://www.lbgtjobs.com/a/jobs/find-jobs

It appears that some of the major department stores, along with some rather surprising other companies post job offerings on this site. Just fill in a zip code and determine the distance you are willing to travel and start looking. Good luck...

Unless you work at a nudist colony, you're going to have to dress for work!

Oh, you probably mean dress as a female when you're actually male. Well, some jobs can be done from home so you could look into that type of job. You could look for a job in a crossdressing store. I've heard of some crossdressers working at Walmart.

On most "regular" jobs, your employer is going to want you to be thinking about and doing your job, not thinking about crossdressing. They would rather not deal with the friction and "drama" that a crossdressing employee might create.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

It would be nice to be able to go to work as a woman though wouldn't it. I can only dream. Then again a Nudist colony would be fun too.

Platinum Member
    You might consider working from home. I do and as a result, I dress almost full time!

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    On most "regular" jobs, your employer is going to want you to be thinking about and doing your job, not thinking about crossdressing. They would rather not deal with the friction and "drama" that a crossdressing employee might create.
    And this is where the problem is. Employees do not want the disruption X dressing could create.
    This has been discussed about six months ago I think.
    The subject has been discussed at length before a few times.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Years ago we had a retail store in this city and they had a SA that ran the cash register. It was a 'he' but most people would look at him and wonder if he was male or female. Put a skirt on him and he would've passed 100%. Talk about a lost opportunity.

At a big toy store in Chicago about ten years ago they had a young man that went to work 'en femme'. She didn't do a lot to enhance her feminine side though. It appeared she got along very well with her fellow employees. I wanted to stop and talk to her but I was with others and didn't want to open up any suspicion.

I know it's obvious, but female impersonators/drag queens are considered to be "employed." Since there are no laws that would likely effect you, you could go to and from, and pretty much be 24/7, if you decided to make it A Career. But beware! Drag Queens start to age, and then you become unemployable. So, we need to come up with a "Fall-Back Career" after your have used up your time. From "Show Boat" I think...."Life upon The Wicked Stage, ain't nothin' for a Girl!"

Peace and Love, Joanie

Silver Member
    If you can get a job working with trans people (as I do, though not exclusively), you could probably dress FT and being trans might even be a positive. Being a cosmetologist, electrologist, or working in a store that caters to the trans community for example. Unfortunately, those jobs are very few and far between.

What about a Job on a TG or CD cruse ship ?
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

I've seen transgendered people working in restaurants, coffee shops, retail shops (usually smaller niche shops), and jewelry shops. If you are really out and don't mind about what people think, you really can try just about anything. I can see where a manufacturing facility might be okay or how about a home or commercial cleaning company. If you are a good worker, conscienceous, and add value to the company... and they don't want you... you don't want them!

Good luck
    Kathleen Ann

Vegas is now home to drink and drag
    I think they said either vegas or drink and
    drag is the largest employer of drag queens
    in the U.S

A blossoming flower xx Jennifer Devine's Avatar
    I went to work as a woman once a few years ago and loved it! It was a Wear Red day so i put on my dark red wig, make-up, black and pink t-shirt and women's jeans!
    The looks of the faces of the customers were priceless lol Even had a few of my colleagues ask for make-up advice! lol
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications. It is recommended that other members post a similar notice to this.

I'm ready to be a 64 year old Vegas stripper, wearing my cat's eyes silver or leopard frames LOL !
    Last edited by ArleneRaquel; 11-12-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Show up for the job interview en femme, explain that you are transgendered, and ask "you don't have a company policy that allows discrimination against transgendered people, do you?"

I forgot! And we even have A Franchise right here in Ybor City. How about Hamburger Mary's?

Who would have imagined so many opportunities!

Peace and Love, Joanie

I am not sure that I get the question. If you are going to present full time, in other words, you are 24/7, then any job would/should be open to you. BUT if you are think Monday you will wear a dress and then Thursday you will show up as a guy, I would say virtually NONE. You don't have to wear a dress everyday, nor heels but swapping back and forth at will would make most employers cringe.

Most large corporations have HR departments who have set rules that will allow you if you are planning on transitioning. The ones who are Gay and Lesbian inclusive will be more likely (And I don't care if you are or are NOT gay...that isn't the point. The point is that thgays and lesbians have fought for those rights so in most cases TG will be included)

The other question I have is what you mean by "dressed"? You want to work in a service industry where the women wear let's say white shirts and black skirts. Then you should be able to do that. You want to be a firefighter in a mini and 6" heels...probably not. I would also suspect that you could not wear a wig on that job, but if you had you natural hair styled to meet requirements then wearing a woman's shirt and slacks would be allowed.

In my profession, the men and women basically dress the same, so it would not be an issue. The question would be the make up and wig, which technically would not effect the job. But a skirt when you are out vaccinating cattle would raise a few eyebrows
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Maybe I should apply for a job at Hooters !
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Silver Member
    If you are self employed you can wear what ever you like. I know of an accountant that dressed in fem. There was a mayor/city manager that dressed and transitioned. Town kept him last I heard. Software industry is pretty tolerant. Being full time and consistent is probably a requirement. Being Bill today and Billie tomorrow might confuse people. I was in a fiberglass plant one time and they had a guy working that had on a thin light T-shirt with a very pretty bra on under it. First time I saw it I thought it might be a joke. Second time I figured it was regular attire. I used to want to work in a lingerie store so I could wear everything and help the young pretty girls try on. Then I realized it wouldn't pay well enough to wear the stuff and customers weren't all young, pretty, or even women.

Miriam
    Many large corporations have policies that would protect you from company actions against a cross-dresser. These policies would also protect you from overt harassment from fellow employees. But there's little they could do to suppress quieter or sneakier attacks, silent exclusion from opportunities, or whispered comments. Our out-of-the-closet Gay and Lesbian friends endure this everyday, and it might be even harsher for us.

If this is a path you want to choose, I'd suggest either joining the company when already crossdressed or shifting to this mode in coordination with HR. This will minimize your problems.

It would be much spottier with smaller operations since protections are considerably more open to the whims of the owners and managers.

Miriam

I can 't Believe you Lady's ?? Every one of you have been all over it an Never said it ,,Came close ,,But never said what the best job for a CD would be ,, Private dick !! You can wear all kinds of costumes . So now you lady's know ,,, Another Problem Solved by the Wonderful an Talented STACY B ,,,Thank you ,,, Thank you Very Much ,,, LOL PS,,, I am also taking Applacation for my cruse ship ,,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Everyone mentioned female impersonation and such, but all the places where these performances occur need bartenders and waitresses! Seems like a natural!

The best career by far is IT, wear you own hair long but tied back on the job. And maintain an excellent job reputation. Become indespensible no matter how you look.

Clorissa

I own my little business, but dont dress at work. I rely heavily on who I meet and cant take a chance turning them off. But I do underdress - panties and hose many days.
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by sterling12 View Post
    I know it's obvious, but female impersonators/drag queens are considered to be "employed." Since there are no laws that would likely effect you, you could go to and from, and pretty much be 24/7, if you decided to make it A Career. But beware! Drag Queens start to age, and then you become unemployable. So, we need to come up with a "Fall-Back Career" after your have used up your time. From "Show Boat" I think...."Life upon The Wicked Stage, ain't nothin' for a Girl!"

Peace and Love, Joanie
    I wouldn't consider drag queen as a serious lucrative career option, most make little to no money and do it as a labor of love. They might make some side cash or free drinks but there's definitely not very good odds of getting a living wage and those who do make some bank do so because of drive and talent as opposed to just wanting to dress up for work. Technically I can crossdress to work when I do stand up comedy as well but since I live in an oversaturated market for comedy I make no money doing it (I used to make about half my living off it in the midwest.)

I do have a day job where I can cross-dress and it hasn't been an issue at all. I transcribe audio from video for closed captioning and I work in an office where we have very little customer interaction, mostly people just dropping off tapes or hard drives. As long as I get my work done on time my boss doesn't care what I wear.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog