Thread: Boy or Girl? Yes?

Boy or Girl? Yes?

I originally wrote this for my blog, Chick Like Me, that I started keeping up back in January. It's queued up for tomorrow, and I'm a little anxious about posting it but like it says in the entry, I'm striving for honesty with the blog as a whole. But I thought I would post it on here as well because I think getting some thoughts from the folks here might be interesting.

This is a scary thing for me to write because it's a lot to put out there, especially because the reality is I'm still very very uncertain of how I feel. But I do think that the point of this blog is to be honest, and since this has been on my mind a lot the last few days, and it's not the first time in the past year or so that it has been on my mind. Basically ever since I turned 30 I occasionally have had this creep up on me, I stress about it a little and then it goes away and I go back to watching Doctor Who or reading the Dark Tower. But I never have really talked to anyone about it.

This may come as a surprise to some, or maybe others might have seen it as the inevitable conclusion that they think I've been lying to myself about since I started openly wearing skirts three years ago, but in the past year I have for the first time in my life put actual consideration into the idea of transitioning to living full-time as a female. I can't tell you how nervous I am to even write that, because I know enough about the process to know that it is a tough, scary path that can have some truly devastating consequences, and is not one to be taken lightly or if one isn't sure.

And that's the thing, I'm not sure. What I know for sure is that especially in the past year I have gotten a lot more aggressively "girly." I wear dresses more than I ever did, I have a daily makeup regimen now, I've dyed my hair and am growing it out to suit a more androgynous look, and I even got my ears pierced. Now, I'm not saying that makeup and earrings are what makes a woman. What I'm saying is I have a few times in the last year questioned if I do the things I do because I'm a man who for some reason is drawn towards these more feminine things, or because maybe just maybe I'm a woman who is slowly fighting a war of contrition against the biological masculinity of her body.

Often when talking about male to female transsexuals, the term "woman trapped in a man's body" comes up. Or I will hear TS women say they always knew they were women. This point led me to believe I definitely was not TS because I can't say for certain that I ever felt like, yes I am a woman. But now I'm wondering, how would I know? I was born male, raised male, treated male, etc. throughout my life. The only perspective I have ever known is that of a male in America. My only experience of women is via external sources. Media, education, and of course women that I know and have interacted with. Would I really know if I was a woman or would I only know if I was myself? That's some William Blake s**t right there.

I often say that I like playing this sort of in between worlds role that I have of being able to be a boy but also being girly when I feel like it. But as I started writing this I'm really thinking about it and I'm hard pressed to come up with an example of something that I particularly love about being a man, where I can say "Well I'm glad I'm a man because it means...." To be blunt the only thing that I can really come up with is that I do enjoy having sex with women as a man. Other than that the only real benefit to being a man is that I do receive societal privilege as a man, which is an external thing and not my mental state.

But I can't say I particularly hate being male either. I hear of some TS folks who look at their body and feel miserable and I can't say that I feel that way. Having breasts would be amazing, but not having breasts isn't a source of true suffering for me. I don't feel driven to have a vagina instead of a penis. I do have body issues, I definitely feel like my shape and my figure get in the way of presenting how I wish I looked but is that gender specific? There are women who have more masculine bodies than I do and men whose bodies are much more feminine (Andrej Pejic, hello!) And the truth is that if I transitioned, the hormones would move my fat deposits around a bit and make me curvier but my basic bone structure would be the same. I'll still be 6'1", and with size 11 feet with broad shoulders. The only thing Hormone Replacement Therapy would really do is prevent the further masculinization of my body as I grow older, which is something that concerns me at times.

So where does that leave me? I guess all I can do for now is to keep going on the way I have been, continue to push the limits of androgyny, and see if maybe my happiness doesn't actually require being on either end of the gender binary but finding my own home somewhere in the middle. Am I man, a woman, or just Rye? Ultimately I don't believe right now that I will ever transition, but I am much more willing to consider the option than I ever have been before.
    Last edited by JiveTurkeyOnRye; 11-12-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Apologies for the profanity, forgot about it when I pasted from my blog draft. Edited it.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

I actually have similar issues. I have no desire to transition, but at times I so desperately long to have the aspects that come with HRT: calmer mood, more aware of the world, softer skin, more curvy shape, etc, etc. I also long to really understand. I could probably deal with the issues with transitioning, I'd be willing to pay the price. Why don't I transition? I don't really want to, but I do want to experience it. I remember crying myself to sleep so desperate to wake up in the body of a girl.

However, I don't think it's fair to those who are transitioning because of much deeper reasons. I don't believe I should have been a girl. I'm not disgusted with my body either. I just want to know "the other side". I've even had someone who went through transition partially (they stopped for reasons unbeknownst to me) and tried to convince me to consider it, but I refused. I'm also trying to learn to just accept me as me and stop trying to wish for something I only desire but not truly am.

For me it's not about just wanting to know the other side, I really am struggling right now to understand exactly what I feel is my true identity. I guess it's confusing because if you take a peek at my typical "look" I don't pass or even try to, I just dress as myself and wear the things I want to wear. But the reason why I don't try to pass is because when I do that, all of the things that are used to do it like wigs and breastforms feel sort of like I'm disguising myself. I like seeing myself when I look at myself in the mirror. But the "myself" I'm seeing has been progressively getting more and more girly since I came out.
    ~Riley

My Tumblr Blog

Aspiring Member
    I'm no where near as out and comfortable with myself as you, Rye. Not counting the local TG community here and my girlfriend/her son, I can count the people I've told on one hand.

For me, as a transgendered, but non-TS, CD, I knew from a young age that I felt like I was supposed to be a girl. I also know that as someone "born male, raised male, treated male," that I too realize that even if I transitioned, I'd be imprinting something of the POV of an observer of women onto my hypothetical transition, and not some innate magical self-awareness of 'true womanhood.'

I resist CDing quite a bit. Even when my girlfriend wants Kaela around instead of Mike (and in all honesty, I'm much more integrated than I was a year ago.. the name differences are more of a social convenience than a separate persona... I think), i will resist. I think about it and HOPE that it's not because I'm afraid of it.

You see, even though I knew I had a gender incongruity growing up, I rejected things that were gender androgynous as a kid. Example, flip flops. I've never worn then and never wanted to. I also hated shoes, like Docksides in the 80s, because both boys and girls wore them. It was a form of rejecting my female side, I suppose, at some level. I needed the gender binary I guess, or was so indoctrinated into it that I didn't even know how to question it. So, do I reject CDing sometimes because I'm afraid that female is my natural state? Am I a TS in denial?

I'm not a body hater or suicidal, like so many folks stuck are, but it is a non-sexual, GID, early onset issue for me. I'm comfortable being a male and although I wish I had no body hair and smaller feet (size 11.5 mens) and hair on my head, I don't wish ill of my genitals. I often joke that if I woke up as a beautiful woman tomorrow, I'd be CDing as a male within a week. But yeah, do I revel in being male? Nope.

I'd love having a woman's anatomy, but I think I'd want to be able to trade back and forth as my dysphoria dictates. Because yes, no hormones will put a full head of hair on my head, change my body structure, or give me smaller feet. Although hormones do rewire your brain, I'm working under the assumption that I would still want my male self to be around. I could be wrong. I've know several people who take hormones with no intent to transition. Try a gender therapist in the area and give it a trial?

And I understand what you mean about the breastforms and wig. That's all the accoutrements I wear (no hip pads and stuff) and my bewbz are small. But I swear when I see pics of normal boy me, that THAT seems like the disguise.
    Last edited by Mikaela; 11-12-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    —Mikaela

Banned Read only
    Ryan - keep searching and exploring yourself. You hold the answers which you seek. Only you have the power to unlock the magic box. I would recommend seeing a gender therapist to help you sort out your feelings on the subject.

very well written! you hit the nail on the head for me as well.

it's hard to believe something most would never understand, could have such a grip on ones heart or mind.
    tugging at your soul with a undeniable force.

I wish I could step into a futuristic machine. push a button and end up being a woman of my dreams, at a whim or forever!
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

I understand. I wanted to be a girl from a very young age but was forced to grow up as a male. It may well be that it is too late for me to become a woman as the ways of the man have been imprinted in me. I am a woman trapped in a mans body and upbringing. Even if I was to attempt to transition it may not be the best thing for me. I have little or no depression from this and get along quite well other than the fact that I sometimes look like a girl.

Maybe I have hated my body though. For years I did not take care of it at all. I became overweight, I have scars all over and never much cared about how I looked. Maybe I was so displeased by being male I just gave up. Since I began presenting as female at times (far from every day in public but sometimes in public) I have started taking much better care of myself. I have lost a ton of weight and began grooming myself much more. I am a long way from where I want to be but I am starting to like the way I look sometimes.

So, if I decided to transition I would have to give up my career, possibly alienate my family, certainly add to their stress, and pile up a ton of expenses which I could not begin to pay for. At 55 it just doesn't seem worth it to go that far. If society had been more accepting of it 30 years ago I might well have done it. I guess my remedy is to sometimes be a girl and sometimes be a man. It is better than trying to deny what I am. I agree it is hard for most to understand what we do not even understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkeyOnRye View Post
    Often when talking about male to female transsexuals, the term "woman trapped in a man's body" comes up. Or I will hear TS women say they always knew they were women. This point led me to believe I definitely was not TS because I can't say for certain that I ever felt like, yes I am a woman. But now I'm wondering, how would I know? I was born male, raised male, treated male, etc. throughout my life. The only perspective I have ever known is that of a male in America. My only experience of women is via external sources. Media, education, and of course women that I know and have interacted with. Would I really know if I was a woman or would I only know if I was myself? That's some William Blake shit right there.
    This paragraph hit real close to home for me. I am still relatively new to crossdressing, but I do feel that I am in it for more than just clothes. I just have no idea what this driving force is at the moment.

Thank you for sharing this. Now I need to read some William Blake.

I wanted to be a girl when I was a kid, I have very vivid memories of it but I don't think I can honestly say that it wasn't that I wanted to be one so I could dress and act the way I wanted.

I'm not really of the mindset of wishing I could wake up tomorrow as a woman or become my dream woman via a machine. I'm fully aware that if I eventually transition I'll be a woman not entirely dissimilar to the man I am now. I guess for me it's just like I said, I just don't feel like there's anything left about being a man that I strive to cling to.

But on the same token I don't know if I'd want to change my name or live like I'd become a different person. I really do feel somewhere in between everything.

Also I do love me some William Blake. I really recommend his Marriage of Heaven and Hell, it's an interesting exploration on our perspectives and how they shape our world and our reality.
    Last edited by JiveTurkeyOnRye; 11-13-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Fixed typos from my iPhone.
    ~Riley

My Tumblr Blog

So where does that leave me? I guess all I can do for now is to keep going on the way I have been, continue to push the limits of androgyny, and see if maybe my happiness doesn't actually require being on either end of the gender binary but finding my own home somewhere in the middle. Am I man, a woman, or just Rye? Ultimately I don't believe right now that I will ever transition, but I am much more willing to consider the option than I ever have been before.
    But on the same token I don't know if I'd want to change my name or live like I'd become a different person. I really do feel somewhere in between everything.
    Your aim was to write honestly and as clearly as possible. I think you accomplished this. Clear doesn't mean having to decide which of the two genders you want to live as, but how well you communicate your current state of mind and I think you did this admirably well.

Last edited by ReineD; 11-13-2012 at 01:22 AM.
    Reine

This hit close to home for me...I and very unhappy at times not because I hate how I was born, but because I don't know if I want to be a man or a woman, Some days I do feel as if I am a Woman trapped and then the next day I just want to be one of the guys. It's so confusing and very stressful at time. If I could just change back and forth between my two selves, by any means, at will...well that would be perfect. That's not going to happen and I know this.
    On the same note some day I just want to know if "The grass is greener on the other side".
    The past few weeks I want be Cara more. Maybe that's due to me having pushed her down for a while and getting rid of my clothes or maybe it's me awakening to my true self. I wish I had the answer, but I don't...yet. I can understand how you feel.
    Some times I wonder if I could get Implants or one of those fat transfer surgeries and keep my "Manhood" and live in between my two selves.
    You have to answer to your question.
    Cara
    I can't lie to myself about who I am.

Hi.

Over the years iv heard so many times , ..the.. i wont to be a woman, How really deep seated is this, & then a lot of dressers have said the same thing, ..the.. i wont to be a woman,

No One & I mean ...NO... one can answer that ? it must come from the person concerned, in fact you have to dig so far down in your mind till it hurts like hell. & to be sure, so very sure,

I can tell you its not a game of .... dressing up. i never did . i was dressed by others though only once & my Mom when i was born , so clothes did not have an effect on me like many dresser's .

you know some details about my self so ether im weird or i am what i say about myself,

I never ever doughted myself i knew from age 10 what i was / am, so no conflict , yet as i was growing i did not like how i looked then or now so for me to be a woman in the context we are talking about i have my own issues & sets of problems some were & are different,

i never knew what... to be a male ...was about yet was far closer to being female, my mind in how im wired saw to that, plus my own hormones,

So many to day have it made being younger to start with, though with out exprieance to fall back on yes im 65, with expreiance i needed to fall back on many many times & in some ways to keep me sane ,

So with out my maleness what little i had or have, i could not have got where i am now with out that,

To be a very strong woman who knows her own mind can stand on her own two feet, & can call the shots when needed, or pull rank ,

Yes iv gone through some very hard issues, not all fun & games, fact was it was 8 years of hell For Jos & i & make no mistake it was hell. we have both come through that & we have grown & become stronger in our selfs,

I know some would like to say im a trans person. or a dresser, or why do you dress in womens clothes may be just maybe im a intersexed woman. born female & male, just to be bloody different, weird to say the least , well yes i am,

yet im accepted as nothing less than a normal woman, i may not have that female or womans look about my self , & as iv been told we dont all come = female = looking like a female or woman. so i use every thing with in myself to counter that ,

So as ill say im sure not on the beauty page of womens mags , iv just got the beauty with in. so when you see me you have to say with in your self am i a woman by looks or a real woman with in. till you see me dont Judge me by my looks only,

Theres hope for all of us just use what you have & build on that,

So take from what iv said about my self & use it,

...noeleena...

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Your aim was to write honestly and as clearly as possible. I think you accomplished this. Clear doesn't mean having to decide which of the two genders you want to live as, but how well you communicate your current state of mind and I think you did this admirably well.

Thanks Reine. And it's funny because after I posted this thread and these posts, I saw a lot of your posts in the Elephant in the room thread and thought, wow it's almost the same topic as my blog.
    ~Riley

My Tumblr Blog

If you are so uncertain of yourself and you are happy with it I would discuss your feelings with someone.
    You have made a start here and with the varied replies your answer may well be amongst these posts.
    I wish you luck in solving your confusion.
    Keep asking, that is good therapy.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    Thanks for this post Ryan,
    I always get logical, at the wrong times and try to figure things out that cant be figured out.
    For example.
    Cross dressing... I dont see make up or breast forms, wigs etc. in that description. So I applaud you for being a true cross dresser.
    But after just wearing the clothes, there is more, much more. One feels the need to paint on this plain canvas we created and add a few touches, eye shadow, pretty bra, then something to put in them, and on it goes until we feel and look 'pretty'.
    Then we all feel the need to share our creation with family, go out into the real world. Shop as a woman, use the ladies room.
    Then where do we go? Some purge, so question their gender, their sex. What are we doing. AYYYyeeee.
    Its quite maddening.
    So there is no answer except it wont go away. As for advice.. I think your young enough and smart enough to take inventory of what you like, what you want to do, and where you want to be at 40, 50, 60 and beyond.
    Life is pretty great if you dont fight it.
    Enjoy, Bobbi
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

Very nicely written Rye thanks for sharing your thoughts here

Hi, Jive! I understand where you're coming from. Having become desperate being in the closet, I recently made the decision to come out and live full-time en femme. Today is my first "weekiversary", and it's been an incredible week. Things are going very well, and I already feel so natural out in the world dressed as I like to dress that at this point I can't see myself ever going back.

Why would I want to? I hate drab. As regards my body, I've never hated it, but I've never loved it, either, and if it were totally different, I'd be glad of that. How far I'm going to go with this, what further steps I'll take I don't know at this point. I'm going to play it by ear, take things step by step when the time seems right. My age is against me: I may never go as far as perhaps I'd like to because of it. But then, I'm not really sure how far I want to go anyway.

Who am I, what am I exactly? I don't know. What sort of changes will occur inside me? I don't know. People talk about their masculine side and their feminine side. I don't know anything about that. I feel like me. I've always felt like me. The difference is that now I'm expressing feelings that I've always repressed. The feelings themselves aren't any different from what they always were. I'm just allowing them to come out, that's all.

It's been a beautiful experience. The feeling of liberation is unbelievable. I want more and more of it. I never want to go back.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Platinum Member
    Honestly, I think this is one of the best threads I've read in months, so thanks Rye, for taking the time to express your feelings.

In the elephant in the room thread, I commented that people often "settle", and learn to accept a life that may be something less than ideal in one respect or another. Im not judging people who settle negatively, nor am I suggesting antying about those who can't live a life of resignation. I am suggesting that for many of us, the answer to the question "who am I" is likely to remain a ambiguous.

I can entirely relate to those who have felt there was something different about them from their earliest awarness. And like them I couldn't put a name on it - I only know "it" was more feminine than masculine, and the "it" made me subject to teasing. So I learned to accept the idea that something was wrong with me and that anything I did that could be construed as feminine should be avoided at all cost. I overcompensated and bore an emotional burden that from time to time expressed itself as temper tantrums.

Later in life, while cleaning up the emotional wreckage of a divorce I learned, finally, that whatever I was, I was not wrong or perverted...i was just a bit different. That brought me a measure of peace. And it also set me on the path of accepting that by expressing the feminine part of me by dressing more the way I felt inside. What has come as a continuing revelation over the past couple of years is just how much that feminine side wanted to come out and live in the real world. Not that it was an alter ego, but rather a part of me that had been so long denied, despised and repressed. When I finally allowed my self to dress fully as a woman, rather than just a few undergarments, I felt a sense of completeness that I'd never felt before.

Like Annabelle, I'm a fairly late arrival at the place I live in, and I don't seriously entertain the notion of HRT or surgery, but I do live much more openly ...hesitating to use the words...as a female. I do have parts of my life that would likely become more complicated and relationships that might be damaged if I came out everywhere to everyone for all the time. And at 6'2" 220 and with big unfeminine hands, facial features and shoulders...I have obvious limitations. At least for the moment, I can't follow her completely into a totally full time life. (70% ain't bad) But who knows what tomorrow or next year may bring.

In the final analysis, as a more mature person, I am increasingly reconciled to the ambiguity of my existence. I wish I could offer a pat answer to younger people, but I can't. It brings to mind a scene from Monty Python's "The Life of Brian"...where the multitude demands an answer from Brian, and he responds, "You'll have to work things out for yourselves." After a pause, the mutitude responds, "Tell us how!!!"
    Last edited by kimdl93; 11-13-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: multiple typos

Aspiring Member
    Ryan,

As men who push the gender norm there are times when we doubt ourselves and our motives. When i feel this way i stop and ask myself this one question:

Do i feel this way because i feel socially pressured by the gender binary?

That question is THE question. I too, do not feel appalled about my body or have a sense of physical dysphoria. Where i feel the pressure is socially.
    Once we are out of the closet and we have people in our lives that embrace the femininity that we bestow naturally....we further push ourselves to "fit" in with our peers. Its part of human nature. We start to think to ourselves that maybe ourselves would be better accepted if we were to commit to a gender binary. All boy or All girl.....Its we, who have that emotional/mental sense of Duality, that never really fit in either side. So i know where you come from in this line of thinking.

There are things we can do to make our lives easier living as dual gender individuals:
    Electrolosis- no more shaving the face...ever
    Laser body hair removal- no more shaving everything
    Hair care- Growing our hair out to better fit our personal identity
    Skin care- Something we all should do to prevent aging......I am religious about it, i get carded for ciggarettes at 33 years old!....
    Cosmetic surgery- its not just for TS people or Women....Men can get work done too.

But all this is null and void if you really do feel you are TS.

However id like you to know your one of the people i look up to and respect for being you. It inspires me to no end to see other men out there in the world owning life and not giving a crap about how people perceive us as "Men in Skirts" Every time i see you post here i smile and get excited to see whats going on in another genderbenders life.

from the heart,
    -Donni-

Social Pressure? Indeed, that's outa here.

Aren't we lucky to have self-concepts? Animals supposedly don't. When they see their image in a mirror, they assume it's another creature. Maybe apes are an exception; I don't know.

Aren't we lucky that we can make of our self-concepts whatever we want?

My self-concept includes some masculine traits, some feminine and mostly female form, but I want to vary my appearance as my mood varies. What's wrong with that? I want to be a moderate shape shifter, not a radical one.

Our wish is our command.
    Last edited by LelaK; 11-13-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

I want to thank everyone who had responded so far to this thread. I think honestly more than anything else I needed to just say the things that have been confusing/concerning me lately and get them out into the open rather than let them keep nagging away at me like they were. Honestly already since posting this here and on my blog I feel ten times better about the situation.

For now I think I am going to just continue to allow myself to be a feminine/androgynous man as I have been so far and just accept that mentally I am somewhat between worlds. And one thing I realized today is that my big fear is how my aging body will effect me in years to come, but the truth is that even if I were a GG, TS, or cis gendered male that would still be true. Our bodies change and our senses of identity and style and sense of self grow and evolve over time no matter who we are and we all have to roll with those punches.
    ~Riley

My Tumblr Blog

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    It sounds like u have your situation well in hand, Ryan. I can only add perspective from one much older.

It seems that as we age, hormone changes gradually strive to turn us more female over time. Probably why I started dressing out of the blue at age 50+.

U have so much time to explore what u want. And, it seems u realize that u may continue to change over the years.

Finally, try doing more fem things. Especially those u don't find appealing. If u try them and they don't feel good, then you'll know. My guess is, some will feel good and that may surprise u!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post

Finally, try doing more fem things. Especially those u don't find appealing. If u try them and they don't feel good, then you'll know. My guess is, some will feel good and that may surprise u!
    I'm all for being open to new experiences and not ruling things out but I don't see the point in doing things that don't appeal to me just for the sake of them being fem. I don't have to like every "fem" thing just because I like some of them. Just like if I were cis gendered I wouldn't have to like every "masc" thing.

I feel like if something is truly for me it will happen organically. For example, I never wanted my ears pierced until recently and I just got them done and I'm glad I did and can't wait for them to heal so I can swap the studs out for nice earrings. But I wasn't surprised that I liked having my ears pierced due to doing it without wanting to. I just decided one day, hey I think I want this done and did it. But I don't think I would've been happy if I'd done it say two years ago.
    ~Riley

My Tumblr Blog

There are women who have more masculine bodies than I do and men whose bodies are much more feminine (Andrej Pejic, hello!) And the truth is that if I transitioned, the hormones would move my fat deposits around a bit and make me curvier but my basic bone structure would be the same. I'll still be 6'1", and with size 11 feet with broad shoulders. The only thing Hormone Replacement Therapy would really do is prevent the further masculinization of my body as I grow older, which is something that concerns me at times.
    You're beautiful.

As you get older, your test levels are going to decrease, so don't worry about becoming more masculine in middle age and beyond.

I can't wait to read your blog.