Thread: at the library

at the library

I am out of town at the small town public library. Their software called "Shark" blocked this site. I got up my nerve and asked the reference librarian. She asked my name and checked my library card--I was using my brother's library car number to sign in to the library computer. She said I should be good to go. But this site was still blocked. I got nervous and waited a few minutes to gather my courage. Then talked to her again. She walked over to the computer and asked what site I wanted to access, "Crossdressers.com" She typed it in and then had to add a password to get past the Shark software. Then she gave me an extra 60 minutes of access.
    I was tense. And hope there are no repercussions. I suppose they now have my name and this site in their database. I hope they do not mention it to my brother. I was not dressed in drag, but i had a newly purchased dress in my car. I emailed a few girly photos to another site.
    I am almost calm now.

Should have gotten your own card if you want to keep your privacy... now your brother is going to have to explain to his wife how come he has special access to this site!...
    Chickie

Banned Read only
    Yep, you created an electronic record for your brother.

At the worst your bother will be outed. Your identity will remain secret. I am sure that as all brothers do he did something bad to you when you were kids. Look at this incident as revenge. Enjoy.

I'll bet that this isn't the most prurient site the librarian has been asked to open for a patron!

Librarians are generally against censorware, but sometimes they have it forced upon them by overzealous government officials. The censorware probably did not block CD.com because of any human action, but simply because its web crawler found certain words in close proximity to each other. Sites that mention Dick Van Dyke are often blocked for the same reason!

Your brother is relatively safe. Libraries tend to keep the things that patrons check out or view private. The digital key that opens this site is likely encrypted so it cannot be traced either way easily.
    Last edited by Eryn; 11-08-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Person
    Hmm, I agree with Eryn in that it'll probably come down to nothing, but perhaps another possible course of action would be to simply forgo visiting this site a day?

Libraries and librarians are, in general, big on privacy. People constantly check out books and web sites that could be potentially embarrassing or political dangerous, and librarians see it as their mission to protect their patrons' right to access that information. I doubt any permanent record was kept associated with your name or your brother's library card.

- Diane

Most libraries have software to protect underage users.
    Looking at the title of this website it could be put in the nefarious area.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    With all the technology available today, why would you use a public computer at a library?

You need to get your own personal lap top for traveling. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

How about one of the new mini iPads? No, I do not own Apple stock.

Banned Read only
    I think most of the responses have been a little tongue in cheek. Yes, librarians are more apt to protect a patrons privacy. However, there have been many instances in the media of law enforcement officials issuing summons for a patrons records. The issue is more serious than a patron's interest in CD.Com. It is usually associated with lethal means of harming people or society.

And, if I recall Internet traffic is monitored for certain word combinations, supposedly onto for international traffic (if you really believe that!).

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Smith View Post
    Libraries and librarians are, in general, big on privacy. People constantly check out books and web sites that could be potentially embarrassing or political dangerous, and librarians see it as their mission to protect their patrons' right to access that information. I doubt any permanent record was kept associated with your name or your brother's library card.

- Diane

It's a big problem. I heard korean school block this site.

Maybe you should visit our local library. When I came out a few days ago, the librarian was the first one I outed myself to, just to let her know what to expect. She had no problem with it. And the first time I went in dressed, she told me I looked great--and coming from her that's high praise because she's a lady who knows all about looking great. She even switched my card over to the name "Annabelle Larousse".

So at this point if you want to use the library computers to get onto this forum, I doubt she'll be bothered.

Annabelle

my computer blocks this site all the time
    Good bye i'm at wacko taco .com now

Quote Originally Posted by crusadergirl View Post
    my computer blocks this site all the time
    Nothing worse than a transphobic computer. Obviously not a PC PC.

Ok, did you say "crossdressers.com" or "cross....dressers.com"? Maybe she thought it was a religious site.

I was out of town at the small library for a week. The next day I tried to log in again...however...I was blocked again. So the librarian did not open a portal or unblock this site permanently for this library card number. Shucks. I did not ask about it again. Not likely my brother will hear about this...I think.

Wikipedia discusses this problem.
    "Many libraries adopted Internet filters after Congress conditioned the receipt of universal service discounts on the use of Internet filters through the Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA). "
    It has been in and out of the Supreme Court more than once.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-control_software

Silver Member
    Many good thoughts but I would agree that if you want to maintain confidentiality, using a public computer is not the best way to access this site. It also seems inappropriate to use someone else's access card, library card, iPad or identity to access confidential sites without their permission. We only can expect something negative to result.

I mean, quite frankly, why put yourself (or worse, your brother) in this situation? Get mobile internet access if it's that important for you to be plugged in during your trips, and avoid the fuss and headache.

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    Seriously, there are so many low cost options for getting online these days that it is not necessary to take such risks. You can get a Google tablet for $200 and it's the size of a paperback. Find a coffee shop with free wifi and you are good to go.

I agree that using your brother's card was not a good idea. It is better to be honest especially if you are dressed enfemme. People will be more accepting of you if you are honest with them.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    I have to be honest while most of the girls here are great company.... I would forego visiting this site on a public computer for sure! Like others have said, there are so many more viable options available.....esp if it could cause problems to some family member, friend, or myself.....