Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Too close for Comfort"

"Too close for Comfort"

I usually don'y write long posts,but there is always a first time. I had a near-miss with being outed tonight. Luckily I got away unseen. I was attending my Bi-weekly Transgender support group, when I heard our group leader welcome a new member. I glanced back as I was going into the bathroom to change (to fem) and it just happened to be my stepson's best friend. He had just told my stepson about being trans and was about to go full time. I don't believe he saw me and I waited (in the bathroom) for our group to go upstairs and start the meeting, before slipping out. I am so bummed. I feel like crying. This was my outlet for dressing. I can't go back to my meetings anymore. I am only out to my wife,the rest of my family has no idea. My town is small and our group is also. There are no other groups that meet close by. This was perfect for me. I loved it. I will miss the ladies and our special events. Thanks for reading. just needed to vent.
    Last edited by Melody Phillips; 11-14-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Or you could just go back. I'm sure it not easy for a stepson's friend to just come out and want to go full time in a small town, so it seems if you have a similar interest, maybe it won't be so bad.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I'm kinda with crazybiker on this one, Melody. Your stepson's friend is also in need of support, and you, being a more experienced member of the group, are in a position to help him, so that's another good argument for going back. If he only knows you through the group, "outing" you to anybody else, including your stepson, is probably a violation of the group's rules.

I'd hate to see you feel you lost such a valuable resource.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Melodyt, think about this: What's the worst that could happen? If it's REALLY BAD, don't go back. But, what if it's NOT so bad?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sounds like you need to sit down and have a talkwith your stepson's friend. You certainly have something in common and I'm pretty sure that he'll understand your privacy needs.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that Melody but don't you think your sudden absence will be noticed? Like the others, I think maybe you should re-consider since you seemed to enjoy the gatherings so much.

I'll throw my two cents in as well. I am in agreement with the others. It may prove to be a good thing for you both, but before I would do anything, I would ask myself if you believe your stepson's best friend can be trusted to be discreet and keep things confidentially between you both. If not, then it may set up a situation where he tells your stepson (perhaps accidentally), since your stepson knows his friend is transgendered. They undoubtedly will talk about this. Any chance your stepson has a similar curiosity? It so this could have the potential to also become a family affair.... Good luck!
    Di

I am with Eryn.

I can only imagine the courage it took for the young man to come forward. Since you are already out to the group, screw your courage up a notch and talk to the friend. I doubt there would be any privacy issues with this new friendship and you could end up sharing the experience you are both going through a little less lonely.

Miki

Talk with your wife first and get her opinion on the subject.
    I think she will tell you to make yourself known to the best friend.
    You will then have a staunch ally and be able to give each other support.
    Maybe your stepson knows about his friend?
    I think the outcome can only be good.
    Have a long think about the whole situation and then re-visit it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    There is an old saying that refers to cheating on your partner. Never do it with anyone who hasn't at least as much to lose as you do.
    Given your situation and your being outed to more than your wife or your group, would have a far greater effect than what your stepson's friend would have to deal with.
    Maybe your heart is telling you the right thing. Give it a few days. The answer will come.

Sounds like it is sit down and clear the air time. Your wife knows about you and your stepson's friend came out. First talk to wife about what happened at the meeting and get her input. Perhaps your wife can sit down with son's friend and find out where this can go. There are several ways this can go and a lot of them positive.
    If the clothes make the man then the makeup makes the woman.

That would be Irony ,,, The Trans Kid comes out after a life of hell ,, Has a friend who's Dad is Trans an the Kid who knows all to well his Pain would be the one to OUT HIM ? Seems like a long shot to me ,,I really think that the friend would embrace him an support him an keep his secrete until he was able to make a decision . Anyway the Kid is a TS an the son is his friend so you know he the son has an open mind already ,,, So what's the Problem ? Might be scary but I would really give it some thought ,,Maybe losing a good outlet by not going to your support group ? It is for support an he is there ,,I really don't think he would out you if you ask him not too . What would he gain ? He might lose hos friendship with the son just for being mean about it ?
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Sorry to hear about that. Have you mentioned this to your wife? What are her thoughts on the matter? Sometimes two heads think better than just one.

The main thing to think about here is why he was there ?

He was there for support, exactly the same as yourself. Yu may want to ask a member who was there just to understand more about how your latest member fitted in. Remember shock travels both ways.

I know when I attende my first group meeting there was someone from the same town as me which was a surprise. Now we travel together to the meetings
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Melody, regardless of what the others had said, as a closet dresser, I would have done just what you did. The kid is about to go full time, which means telling the world, in his excitement, he might out you without meaning to do you any harm.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

But if your a Closet Dresser you wouldn't go to a Meeting ? RIGHT ?
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

You have some good thoughts here to support you Melody. It is a bit of a 'philosophical' dilemma not unlike the famous 'prisoners' dilemma'. Try breaking the problem down...

You want the support group and (at the moment) so does your stepson's best friend.

Your wife knows about your CD but your stepson doesn't.

Your stepson knows about his friend but not about you. Is he accepting of his friend? And how do you know that he knows?

Your main concern seems to be that if the friend finds out about you he will talk and you will be outed... so what are the rules/values of the support group? Do others talk about individual members? If not, then why should he?

He is a young kid looking for support, and you could be a great help to him, especially given the relationship.

Apart from the ongoing danger of being outed to the general community, the biggest issue seems to being potentially outed to your stepson.

I would ask you wife... she is intimately involved in all of this and has a large 'stakeholder' interest.

For me, the worst decision would be the one that upsets her... assuming that this is your key relationship and the one you wish to maintain the most?
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

That's a tough one! It changes the dynamics of the whole thing... bummer.
    Chickie

How about having a talk with the leader of the support group and ask that the friend be reminded of the privacy of all must be respected of such a group. Then when you show up, the friend will understand the re-emphasis and would be more likely to keep your secret. Then both of you can attend safely.

The ABSOLUTE, FIRST, hard and fast, incontrovertible, "cross my heart and hope to die" Rule for ALL Support Groups is: "NEVER, ever, no...not ever, "OUT" another member, to anyone!" Don't care if it's your worst enemy, don't care if this person has destroyed your life, don't care if she's having an affair with one of your loved one's. You DO NOT reveal that person's secret! You protect their Right to privacy. AND, they in turn do the very same thing for you.

Now I am pretty sure that message was given, and emphasized to your acquaintance when she joined. She may be "Out," but not to everybody! She still has her secret's, and it's almost certain she would respect yours.

If you really miss being part of The Group, talk to her privately and make sure she understands your dilemma. I'm sure she will be honorable with you. Gosh, think about it. Don't we owe each other that much? Would you want to wreck someone else's life?

Peace and Love, Joanie

Banned Read only
    Melody, this is a true case of risks v. rewards. From the description of the event, you go to the meeting en drab and change en femme while there. That suggests to me there are attendees who know your masculine face, if nothing else. That is totally different than knowing who you are by name, address, work relationship, family members. That puts a totally different spin on whether or not you want to be a mentor to him.

Of course, you need to explain the situation to your wife. I would think she had some input as to you attending the support group in the first place. No? Yes? How you traveled to the meeting? En femme? En drab?

There is a trust issue involved with the attendees. You'll never know until it is too late, if he will guard your privacy. As a spouse your first responsibility is to your wife, and, not as a mentor to the young man.

Once the genie is out of the bottle or closet in this case, she cannot be put back in. If you choose not to 'out' yourself to the young man, maybe, there is an alternative. Perhaps, there is another support group requiring an overnight stay. It could work out to a little weekend shopping trip for you and your wife?

I think you are missing a opportunity here one to support your Step son friend and have someone that will understand you and if you step son is supportive of his friend then he will be supportive of you also

Quote Originally Posted by Diversity View Post
    . Any chance your stepson has a similar curiosity? It so this could have the potential to also become a family affair.... Good luck!
    This seems like a huge stretch. Last time I checked being trans* was not contagious so I don't see how there is any possible assumption to be made that her stepson is also of our brood just because his friend is.

I think speaking to your wife about it is definitely something you should do, but I also don't disagree with everyone else who says that your stepson's friend is pretty bound by the laws of a support group to now reveal your secrets, as well she likely understands the aspects of being in the closet as she herself was.

You may also want to discuss with your wife whether it is time to talk with your stepson about your crossdressing. If he is able to deal with the trans identity of his friend and accept her, then he likely is mature enough to know about you as well. Obviously that is a deeply personal decision for you to make, and your wife has the final say there as well, but it's a thought.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

This whole TG secret life thing has caused grief, shame, and guilt for way too many members of this forum. Sadly, now you are trying to keep your cross-dressing secret from your stepson. Secret's do get found out, although our secret rarely makes the five o'clock news.

You might think about what would happen if he found out? If he is an adult, with a TG friend, he should be capable of understanding, even though being out to him may not be your desired plan. Maybe he already knows or suspects.

Communicating with your wife is the right direction, and will help you make a joint decision. Personally, having someone keep a secret for me, whether my wife or friends, is a heavy cross to bear. In my case, my wife told my three kids twenty years ago. Best thing that ever happened, because they understand, have sudied and learned LGBT issues from other friends and resources, and have become my wife's support group. They love me unconditionally, and they will always look to me as their dad. I'm really blessed to have that situation.

BTW, we didn't inherit this, it was brain mapped before we were born. The odds of your stepson being genetically arranged for being transgender are slim to none. OTOH, Ur Not Alone.
    Last edited by TeresaL; 11-14-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Silver Member
    Melody - Sorry that I tend to disagree with most of the sentiments already expressed. This is your stepson's best friend, not just a buddy - his best friend. Your instincts have already warned you that you should not risk the possible consequences of unwanted discovery. I think you would also be placing a tremendous amount of additional pressure upon this young person if you were to approach him. Better to take some time and maintain some distance. Maybe he will lose interest. Maybe you will find other venues to dress and find support. Discuss this with your wife and the leader of the support group. Be cautious. Be patient. I do not see any shame but rather care for your family and this young man. Maybe, with time, you will become a mentor for him, but why risk so much right now? Find another group further away. It's worth the drive.