Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the POINT of crossdressers.com?

Complex Lolita...

What is the POINT of crossdressers.com?

[SIZE="2"]“Over here Holmes – I’m in the bog!” (Dr. Watson in The Scarlet Claw)

I see there’s a thread authored by someone who is either fed up with crossdressing, or disillusioned with the fractious nature of the site, or the community, or the inexplicable nature of crossdressing and its peripheral concerns. How convenient. At a time like this, which exists only for me but is nonetheless real (a Procol Harum lyric, BTW), I tend to wonder about what the point of this particular discussion forum is – are we not here to DISCUSS crossdressing, and thus extend open arms (or open minds) to those in need, or is this place just a convenient platform for declaring agendas via endless rants? As I say, I spend (waste) a lot of time wondering about this...

Being a crossdresser, MtF variety, I came to this site to discuss crossdressing. The word “discuss” has many definitions, most of them obsolete (yet insightful), but, to my way of thinking, true discussion involves consideration of the pros and cons of a subject, in this case crossdressing. If you crossdress, you certainly have something to discus with other crossdressers, mainly because the subject itself is taboo in “normal” or conformist society. In other words, crossdressing is not a subject to bring up in mixed company, no matter how liberal or enlightened that company may be. That’s unfortunate, and that’s why a “place” for crossdressers is important. Crossdressing can be seen as a deviant human characteristic, albeit historic in nature and somewhat inevitable, even though nobody, including the crossdressers, can fully understand it...

I crossdress. I identify as a male yet wear women’s clothing a percentage of the time; therefore I qualify to discuss crossdressing. I have no agenda, except to point out that what I do is a benign exercise in human expression, no big whoop, and it is definitely interesting and fun. Simple, isn’t it? I came here to meet other individuals who like to crossdress, people who are relieved to finally be able to talk (write) about their passion, however confusing it may be at times, and perhaps feel better about being who they are, or who they want to be. This happens, I’m pleased to say. The “pros” of CD’ing may include tactile pleasures, or the thrill of going somewhere dressed, or the feeling of blessed apartness one gets whilst crossdressed. I can relate to that. The “cons” of crossdressing may involve the social and familial problems one may encounter by insisting on continued (or more visible) crossdressing, i.e. bumping up against the non-crossdressing world at large, or crippling self-doubt, or a lack of appreciation for the need to crossdress. I can relate less to that, but I still listen (I mean read)...

There is plenty to discuss, for crossdressing is a genuinely discursive subject. Discuss used to mean shake off, put away, or dissolve – those who purge or otherwise turn away from CD’ing may be actively discussing their crossdressing in this manner. Discuss also used to mean to declare, or explain. Those who rant fit the former, while I “fit” into the latter category – to me, there’s no end to the explanation, or the attempted explanation, that crossdressing spawns out of necessity or curiosity. Many times I see this site as an opportunity to explore meanings, and a place has been (conveniently) provided to report one’s findings. Discuss also can mean “to eat or drink with enjoyment,” and I discuss my crossdressing in this manner on a daily basis. With this in mind, why come to this place, this discussion forum, this foggy bog, to discuss crossdressing? Wouldn’t it be more fun to just crossdress?

I often wonder why I’m here at all, trying, with all futility, to climb up a slippery slope I never wanted to conquer in the first place. Discussing crossdressing can be a very joyless exercise, my friends. On this site I have “met” a lot of controvertists, that is to say people who try to dispute my very existence as a MtF crossdresser, simply because it doesn’t “jibe” with their ideas. I perceive an argument against crossdressing, even though being a crossdresser is, in my way of thinking, not a controvertible subject. I represent the majority of MtF crossdressers, but, to some, I’m not doing it “right.” I get confused when someone from another part of the CD spectrum tries to dispute a highly personal thing like one’s crossdressing. This is sowing discord is a place where concord should be an irrefutable part of the community. We are very much apart from society at this point in time, a community of outsiders that cannot seem to agree with each other. In short, this place can be more like a platform for grievances, and less like a forum for discussion, even though making such a statement sounds like a rant! Sorry. I would just prefer to discuss the vagaries, circumstances, and mysteries of crossdressing, without being assailed by certain communal precepts. At the end of the day, I have fun crossdressing, period. Surely that’s OK, isn't it?

I can understand why some individuals join the site, only to leave after dipping one’s toe in the chilly water of crossdressing discussion. Frankly, I’m not sure why I’m still here – perhaps I’m bolstered by those who have a “problem” with run-of-the-mill MtF crossdressers like myself, so I feel I must provide a voice for people like me. A lot of crossdressers crossdress (bless them) and never write about it, while others take it upon themselves to exclude the less serious individuals via the written word and steer the proceedings towards a direction that they insist upon. I can feel it all around me, and it feels like isolation within a place that should be more welcoming. I’m a member of several forums like this one, but this is the only discussion forum where I actually participate – the subject itself is infinitely fascinating, and the NEED to crossdress never goes away. I crave true discussion, but I can do without the arguments and discord. Of course, the instant you write and submit something you’re actually painting a target on your “self.” Is this fair?

To reiterate, what is the point of crossdressers.com, and what is the point of all this discussion? Are we here to encourage crossdressing, in all of its myriad forms, or are we trying to figure out how to deal with it, or how to incorporate it into society, or how to ultimately detach ourselves from this most natural of human urges, namely to become ONE with ourselves? If the undeclared mission of this place is to provide a mirror for the community, can’t it be used to reflect some LIGHT on occasion?
    [/SIZE]

I am here to gain information as well as give and receive support - nice post

I will give it a go Freddy.

To start with we are all different so I can only speak for me.

I have a female side. I don’t just ‘dress up’ I am Suzy.
    I find speaking to other ‘girls’ here that except me for who I am is a pleasure. And it’s also a pleasure to talk to so many nice members. Its fun and its informative.
    Some members even talk about this site as a family and I would not disagree with them.

Now about ‘the point of all this discussion’ Well I love to chat [If that’s not my feminine side coming out then I don’t know what is?]
    And even the rants can be fun [well to Suzy they are]

So lighten up Freddy. Just enjoy life and stop analysing everything.

And a hug as well,

SUZY

Aspiring Member
    Freddy this was really well written.

When i started coming here to "discuss" Crossdressing i was in a very different place with my internal perception of self. From being here and joining in on discussions i have learned a great deal about myself as well as others. One thing that will always remain constant among the community of MtF Cd's are the expansive amount of motives and differences that separate our personal identities.

Discussions that i have had here or listened to, while seeking out the answers i needed for myself have brought me to a much better place in life altogether. Its amazing how something most of us have remained secretive about can shine LIGHT into the rest of our daily lives. My confidence has grown from being a part of the dialog that goes on within our small little community....but not only as a MtF Crossdresser, in my everyday life as well.

Discussing Crossdressing has inevitably brought my confidence to a level to where i want to BE a Light in the World, but for me that is always what i have wanted out of the dicussions i have been a part of here on Crossdressers.com. Our dialog with each other about all aspects of Crossdressing have taught me many things about myself....now im going out, coming out, and smiling about it the whole time.

Two years ago guilt and shame were crippling me...Now I've crippled them. There are still many challenges i face in life being TG, but i know now that i have been equipped for them thanks to the advice and feedback from my community here on Crossdressers.com.

-Donni-

We all have our different reasons for coming to this site. I am so thankful I can come here to find others who I share this secret with. For me here, crossdressing is a loneiy world. If others around here even suspected this about me, life would quickly become umbearable. A few would maybe understand, but most would not.
    Thank You everyone for being here and I enjoy reading about the different ways that all of you go about your lives.

[SIZE="3"]I think a lot of us, myself included, need this sense of connection that we get from sharing with others this side of our lives. I enjoy supporting others endevors to explore and discuss the ins and outs of being a CD...it is hard sometimes to peek out of the closet, stand up straight and accept who we are without the kindness and advice of those that have already stepped out. Being a CD can be a very lonely thing, as we all have felt in our hearts.

:
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

The avvy pic isn't me
    Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    So lighten up Freddy. Just enjoy life and stop analysing everything.
    Are those gosh darn trees blocking your view of the forest Freddy?

Seriously tho, after having been around the dubdubdub and spending time on various forums you have to take everything with the proverbial grains of salt.

I've learned this the hard way sadly, and yes i'm a bit jaded because of it.

I'm being purposefully flippant with you of course, i think like most i come here for the fellowship and yeah, even to learn sometimes.
    It's just that i tend to skim across alot more these days.

It's been many moons since i last read a gratutuious panty thread in fact.

Ultimately? One has only to imagine (or think back to our lives pre-net) what it would be like to not have thes places to interact?

I join this forum because long sgo I thought I was only one of a few that dressed up. But since then Ive learned that alot of ppl and I mean alot have the same interest and have gone thru very much the same issues that I have. Its nice to come in here and help out all the newbies that have just begun to nuture their femenine side instead of trying to hid it. Like they say no ones forcing you to come here. Im not. here to judge orcause drama. I like to help those that are asking for it.This place allows us girls to help those who ask for it just lighten up ok.
    Renee

I joined recently, and I've been actively reading posts and participating in conversations. Here are the reasons I like the site:

-it is nice to be able to read about so many people with the same "hobby" as me. I felt like a freak before I found the site, and I love reading about so many people who crossdress and have happy lives. I'm not alone.

-as an "amateur" crossdresser, I like getting tips on "how to do it" from more experienced people. This is immensely helpful.

-reading about the TS and SRS issue and the people who have made the ultimate gender change is very helpful as I think about what is right for me, what is going on inside my head and body, etc.

-it is just plain fun to read and participate in the discussions on clothes, makeup, shopping, and to look at the photos of other crossdressers.

-From what I've picked up from the short time I've been on the site, and this may sound obvious, many of us have more feminine interests and even discussing these interests for those of us who are still closeted is very hard to do - we keep up the purely masculine facade to protect our image. I like having a place where I can be more feminine.

Marcy

As I approached 10 posts, I hesitated for I had the same question in mind. I was not expecting to see so many posts about folks gong through hrt and sex change operations. I do read those posts and have a lot of respect for them for going through this. This forum has let me see the many flavors of what I am going through. This forum has answered a lot of questions I have had for years but had no one I could ask.
    Last edited by paddy; 11-18-2012 at 02:31 PM.

For me, there are several reasons I come here. 1. I'm learning that some of my quirks are not unique to me. 2. I'm learning a lot about crossdressing and the people who dress. 3. It's a place I can say things I can't say anywhere else. 4. I love looking at the pictures. 5. I love being able to post my own pictures!

Deedee

Freddy that was a well thought out post. However your last paragraph leaves me confused. If you were to change the "or' to "and" I would agree 100% with your
    feelings that the forum is to shed light on what we do and is not a debating society. Unfortunately CDing is a complicated subject and a few sisters go off on a tangent that breeds needless animosity. We all walk in our own high heels and not in those of our sisters so if we can all stop being judgmental the Forum will become what I believe it was created to be.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by AKKaren View Post
    [SIZE="3"]I think a lot of us, myself included, need this sense of connection that we get from sharing with others this side of our lives. I enjoy supporting others endevors to explore and discuss the ins and outs of being a CD...it is hard sometimes to peek out of the closet, stand up straight and accept who we are without the kindness and advice of those that have already stepped out. Being a CD can be a very lonely thing, as we all have felt in our hearts.

:
    [/SIZE]
    This pretty much says it for me. Well put, Karen!

I would still be deaply entrenched in the closet if not for this forum. I try to be supportive and not derogatory when I leave a comment. When I ask a question I am looking for an honest opinion. Even if it's not what I want to hear.

I do agree that if we can't get along with ourseoves, it's will be difficult at best for others to accept us. So I hope and pray we will some day have a united front to present to the world some day so we can all live in peace, one with another.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [SIZE="3"]
    To reiterate, what is the point of crossdressers.com, and what is the point of all this discussion? Are we here to encourage crossdressing, in all of its myriad forms, or are we trying to figure out how to deal with it, or how to incorporate it into society, or how to ultimately detach ourselves from this most natural of human urges, namely to become ONE with ourselves? If the undeclared mission of this place is to provide a mirror for the community, can’t it be used to reflect some LIGHT on occasion?
    [/SIZE]
    I think that members join this site because they feel it is a safe place to share their concerns, no matter what they are. As much as you'd like the CDing to be taken as a fun thing, it just doesn't play out that way for everyone.

Why would you only want to encourage the upbeat threads and not address the myriad issues that many members experience, including attempts at trying to define the CDing for themselves through sometimes controversial discussion?

And, there are many threads that do reflect a great deal of positive light on the subject. Please don't lose sight of this.
    Reine

I'm here to see the experiences of others, encourage when possible, help others when possible and to show for the most part I enjoy life and don't take myself that seriously. That be pretty much it Hon. How we personally address CDing and it's associated issues is pretty much up to each of us individually.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Freddie, I you shouldn't be in Kansas anymore. I very much injoy reading your very well thought out contributions to this forum. As with many others, you add to he richness and understanding of ourselves that many of us crave in our lives. I am sure there are those that will not agree or even take time to read and absorb your eliquent words but it matters not. It is that very contribution that makes this such a helpfull, incouraging and wonderfull place to frquent. Thank you so much.
    Susan

For what it's worth, I have personally viewed the point of this forum to be the membership. I saw signing up as applying for citizenship in a place I wanted to be. Signing up here was like declaring to you all and to myself that I am one of you, as surely as if we were to cut open a vein and share our blood so it runs in each other's veins. To me, the point is the belonging. The wide range of opinions, perspectives, personalities, and goals can be frustrating, much like politics among humans anywhere. But it's human. I'd hate to see the forum limited to any single purpose other than gathering us together.

Freddy, although I can never come close to writting anything as proper and literate as the post you have just put up. I am compelled to reply with a complete "Very Well Said!" I only wish I could follow with anything that would futher your statement of facts. I have come to realize that even though we all share the CD issue in our life, and this is for that. It has the same issues as society in general. It is not enough to have this to explore and share. It appears that we splinter into cluqes that have our own special needs or desires and feel we must be aknowledged and or embraced on that perticular level. And as in society at large if you are not of a like mind many think you are predjugdist against it, it can't be that you just don't have any interest and therefore want to continue with the reason for being here to start with; Crossdressing.
    I have found many meaningful friends here that share CDing and even some that have moved from CDing on to other gender issues that I am concerned with for their needs and comfort. But it was because think of meeting them here for the CDing aspect that I came here for. The advancement of other lifestyle issues is great to share but not to imposse on me or anyone, I will either care about you or I will move on, the same as I ask from anyone reading my threads or post. That doesn't mean I'm wrong and you are right any more that the other way around. I just means we each are here for the common interest in CD and then we go from there.
    When I first came here I found a great many of you ready to except and share, it was amazing. I then learned the forum has a cross-section of all kinds of CDer's that are far more advanced than I am and that my life's choices didn't always coinside with theirs, but I learned from them and was over whelmed in many cases that caused me to question my place here. But I am here and still learning and shareing when I can. And the answer is simple for me I have made friends on here that are worth it for me to stay.
    Last edited by franlee; 11-18-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Procol Harum is one of my favorite groups from the '60s. "There's too many women and not enough wine, too many poets and not enough rhyme" from Your Own Choice. ...draw your own conclusions.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Like so many here, this site proved that I was not the only 'weirdo' in the world. My first time out and open to public gaze was encouraged by StacyB one evening.

I've found that some like to raise their own flag (if you will) and attempt to impose a "you're wrong if you don't think like me" mentality, but where such a person is too much, I just ignore them thereafter. Rather than posting up too, I've found that I am more of a 'lurker' and 'commenter' these days. Overall, this site has been a definite force for good in my CD education.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Exclamation What is the POINT of crossdressers.com?

As many others have posted to this thread, finding others who accept me as I wish to be.

I fit in to the relieved, I was alone and nobody knew. I now have a place to go to see, visit with, share ideas, and recieve ideas with people of the same passion. I live in a location where CDing is next to unheard of, I feel I am not the only CD here even though I know of no other. I love coming to this site to get fresh ideas, get some advice or tip, get support, and if I can make that 1 person feel better that's what makes my day. I'm still a new member of this site and I feel so much better about myself thanks to people who care.
    To anyone reading this: THANK YOU SO MUCH, for the support, and excepting me for who I am.

Rhonda

While I have been a member of this forum for only about a week I am so glad to have a place where serious discussion can go on. I just wish there was more actual discussion going on withing the threads. Most threads are simply replies to the OP with little interchange between other posters.

While I do appreciate the serious discussion, I wish there was more discussion related to the part- time/hobbyist crossdresser who look upon this as a source for fun. I have seen one thread already that was closed for seemingly getting too risque'. While I understand the need to keep this site clean for younger or more sensitive members, it would be nice if there was a private section just for adults who would like to engage in more sexually oriented discussions.
    "We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think." - The Buddha

If the site exists to provide support to crossdressers and their families, then it has to be open to all forms of discussion about crossdressing and it's ramifications.

Any limitation on discussion, or on who 'qualifies' to discuss crossdressing, surely undermines the point of the site. As you acknowledge, we live in a society that restricts our ability to talk freely, so why place restrictions here? Surely this should be a refuge from any prejudice or conversational boundaries?

As Reine has already stated in her usual insightful way, we all experience crossdressing in different ways, and I personally don't get much out of 'fluffier' threads. I also don't appreciate the members who seek to impose their views on others, but this is a community like any other and we aren't all of one single mind. If a thread doesn't draw my interest or I don't feel I can resonate in any way then I just tend to ignore it, but I'm glad that this is a place where those threads can exist and that people can talk about crossdressing in any way they choose. I've gained a lot of support and strength from this site and I hope I can continue to do so and hopefully repay some of that support to others.
    Pursue happiness, with diligence

My blog: A Circular Square