Thread: Out in general public first time

Out in general public first time

I have been going out for two years now, night clubs, friendly bars, etc. I went out in San Francisco, shopping district around Market and 4th, Nordstroms, Macys, and more. I dressed extra casual, skinny black pants, low heel boots, Ann Taylor top, and a finger tip long black coat. I consider myself passable by night, meaning at a distance and in the dark I pass, but definitely up close, not. I parked my car just outside of the shopping area. In SF the area changes quickly from nice shops to one block away corner stores with people hanging around outside in hoodies. That was were the free and easy parking was. I am past the point of paranoia of leaving the car, but I did not know what to expect. A few cat calls from the street people, expected. Then I visited a beauty supply store on Market, easily a sage place. Then Payless Shoes, they had a pair in my size and I bought, no issues. Then I walked onto the Nordstrom shopping center. I wa very surprised how easily the whole thing went. Really, no one paid much attention to me. I received a couple smiles from some girls. No unwanted attention or comments. The sales people treated me well. A great experience.

Platinum Member
    Those knowing smiles are really quite welcoming, aren't they?

Congrads on your first time! Sounds like you had fun!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Thank you for started this thread with a lovely post. It is great to read stories that have a pleasant result.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Congratulations Monica. It really is easy to go out around here. The restaurants, bars, museums, theaters and everything else are always so accommodating. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by AllieSF; 11-21-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Its sounds very liberating. It takes a lot of courage to do that. Congratulations! Now that you have done it once, I'm thinking you'll probably be doing it more often now. Just be safe Hun. Don't get to brave and put yourself in a bad place.
    "Oh my God, I realized, it's not that we're screwed up; it's just that we've been trained to thnk so."
    ~Rick Novic, Alice in Genderland

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Hi Monica,

Well done! YGG! ... getting out in the "real world" (in a very public place in daylight) is always a challenge when you first do it, but good 'ole San Francisco does make it a little easier IMHO, that said, I don't mean to detract from your real concerns when you did it, as those concerns are there for all of us no matter where we live. Anyway, I'm so glad this outing was successful for you and I really do hope that you continue to go out mainstream and push those boundaries. Life's too short not to.

Hugs
    Rachel
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

It is comforting to get knowing smiles and any smile from women on eye contact is good.
    I learned to smile back years ago.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It also appears this is your first post on this forum. What a positive and encouraging way to come in and say hello. I hope you continue to have such fun adventures.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

I have been going out for a while now, but regular places are new to me. I first started at a TS bar in San Francisco. The place is friendly to us and a safe place to dress, but most of the girls in their are working, and the neighborhood is not so nice. I then started going out to "gay friendly" bars. I say gay friendly because nominally gay bars, but these types of bars seem to attract from a wide array of people. I got more confidence during the weekends where the clientele is most 20 something clubbers and most of the people, 90% maybe, are straight in these places. As I walked around the neighborhoods of these places I noticed no one seemed to pay special attention to me. Yes occasional cat calls, but nothing too bad. I also had some interesting experiences, dealing with the tow truck when I locked my keys in the car, pulled over by cops a few time (late at night in bar areas they pull over anyone at 2 AM for no reason... I am always careful not to be even close to the limit). In these bars I would come across lots of people, and have totally normal conversations. It seemed like the right time to try something more "regular life" so I had to try going out to a non bar environment.