Thread: Bra sizing / fitting question

Bra sizing / fitting question

What method do you all use for finding the right bra size? I know in general a guy has a pretty flat chest. So should I be buying bras that are A or AA and as for the band size, should I base it how women usually measure it? I've got several B cup bras and they don't seem to feel uncomfortable and fit rather well. I just don't like the fact that the cups aren't "filled" because I dislike breast forms. Should I just stuff them with whatever works so they don't lose form? Are there any bras that would fit the male anatomy better? Should I stick with A and AA bras only?

I apologize but I've looked and I haven't not found a thread that answers my questions completely so I'm posting this. Thanks.

I've done it by trial and error, but you could try http://www.wikihow.com/Wear-a-Bra-as...e-Crossdresser
    - Phoebe Brenne

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    One of the advantages of being a CD is that you can decide what cup size you want and then "tailor" your bosom to fit!

For myself, I measured my chest as per the catalog instructions and got a band size of 48, then decided that a C cup would look about right on me, giving me a bust size of about 52 inches, which fits size 26W dresses. So I padded the cups to look right, at first with socks, then with my own home-made forms carved from urethane foam, and now with proper silicone forms. I wanted something that would look womanly without being excessive. Many CDs would probably opt for the DDs.

In your case, since you're not using forms, you should probably measure your own chest in the manner the catalogs tell you for both the band size and cup size. You'll probably wind up with A or even AA...but wear them with pride!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Quote Originally Posted by brendab View Post
    I've done it by trial and error, but you could try http://www.wikihow.com/Wear-a-Bra-as...e-Crossdresser
    O.... How did I miss that URL.???? Thanks so much for this link!!

My measurement is 36 as a band size. I guess I'm on a more petite size compared to some of they other girls here. I don't mind a AA or A cup. I just want the least amount of work in a sense. I've got this itch for being "efficient" when possible and breast forms are pretty much out of the question. I just don't feel the need for them when I'm only dressing up at home. I haven't built the confidence to go outside at my other "persona".
    Last edited by psion128; 11-25-2012 at 04:14 AM. Reason: add-on

Since a 34DD has a cup that is about as WIDE as a 36D , 38C & 40B
    and would fit the same size prosthetic ( falsie /fake boob ) but the
    actual fit of each bra would be different and also there will be one
    which LOOKS most natural on you ...

Try this:

First, use your shoulder as a guide to how WIDE your breasts should be:
    Turn your head to the side and look down at one of your shoulders.
    You'll notice it kinda has the shape of the bottom of a breast.
    The WIDTH of your shoulder will be about correct for a natural-looking breast on your chest.

Second, find your band size ( the number part ) with a simple measurement

In the store, find a bra you like - pick one with UNDERWIRE ( a well defined cup size)
    ( HInt - pick one with full coverage, no "shelf" bras - so you can stuff it with whatever and not have the fake boobs showing or falling out.
    Find your band size in that bra.
    Compare your shoulder measurement to the cup size of bras to which you have access.

That will get you the best fit more often than not.

Thanks @ MonctonGirl. I'll do that. I really just want one that fits me and looks natural on my body type. I'll have to get a measuring tape again to get those numbers. :/

Buy a cloth tape measure and measure under where the bust would be. That is your band size.
    The cup size is determined by how much "projection" you want. If the bust itself would be 2" larger than the band size you would be a B cup....3" would be a C cup and so on.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Bra sizing seems to be one of those ever-puzzling questions. One of the things that puzzles me is calculating band size. Some guides suggest as Cheryl just did, but most say that you should add 4 inches to that measurement to get the proper band size. Why an extra 4 inches???

Here is another group "Men wear bras" (I know there some members here that are members there) that will give you great info. It's almost a good as this group (but not quite, LOL).
    http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/hellotaxi
    Dana Fleming

Thanks for all the replies. It helps clear it ups since I was always wondering. It always felt like I was shooting in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by CarleyR View Post
    Bra sizing seems to be one of those ever-puzzling questions. One of the things that puzzles me is calculating band size. Some guides suggest as Cheryl just did, but most say that you should add 4 inches to that measurement to get the proper band size. Why an extra 4 inches???
    I always wondered about that, too; and have also heard to add 5 to your band size measurement in inches to get your "correct" band size. This article on wikihow says that is outdated (from the 1930's!). Looks like I should try a smaller size...
    I guess you can't really beat getting a proper fitting by a professional though. Of course not all of us have the nerve or opportunity to do so, but if you can it's probably the best way to go.

I did a google search and found several other sites all saying the thing about adding 4 or 5 inches is incorrect these days.
    Last edited by justmetoo; 11-25-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: more info

Women have a hard time buying bras too, so don't feel bad. I think I read somewhere that about 60% of women wear the wrong size bra. I start with the band size, add 2 inches. Pick the smallest cup size that the bra comes in. Buy it and hope for the best. Over the years, I've been able to find that there are some underwire bras that work out very well after you make a tiny incision on the outer part of the bra and slide the wire out, then the bra flattens out a bit more and changes the shape. When I find a bra that fits, I quickly go back and buy some more of the same in other colors too.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I also don’t like breast forms so I am in the same boat as you.
    I have a 37” chest size and little boobs.
    There are two things that I do. Ether go without or where a sports bra. I have been able to get sport bra’s that hug my natural little boobs very comfortably.

I hope that helps.

A lot of the sporty & summer halter tops are S M L and some even have sewn-in pads which feel nice. I have a few. You might try them, too.

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    After you figure out your size, head over to
    http://www.onehanesplace.com/
    they have a bra finder so that if you are looking for a 38A bra you can actually find a few.
    Look for the sales, as they are pricey otherwise, especially after you add shipping.
    Bobbi
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

Vanity Fair makes a great stretch bra that works well for the barely AB cup that I am (so does Barely There). Room for forms if I choose to where them (I rarely do)

The best info that I found on this topic was at www.janetscloset.com They have some great videos and accompanying charts that realy helped me. They are also CD friendly, so you can call and tall to a CDer that really understands you and your needs.

I agree with AKADonna on the Janet's Closet. I used her method and my bra fits perfectly. You measure your chest just below your breasts then ADD FOUR inches to get your band size. If you go to the Janet's Closet website and check under the Breast Form page, you will find a sizeing guide for your bra size that will reccomend a form size. I followed this and my proportions are now Perfect, and this comes from a GG!
    The reason you ADD the Four inches, is so the center of the bra, between the cups, will lie against your breast bone properly
    Barbara

If you want a bra that conforms to your male breasts, try an "Ahh Bra" or "Genie Bra". You'll still need to measure or experiment to get the correct band size (they stretch) but the cups expand or contract to fit the actual "boobs". I wear mine either with size "C" forms or underdressed with no forms at all.

For a point of reference, my chest measurement (under the boobs) is between 39 and 40 inches and a 2X in an Ahh Bra fits me comfortably.

If you buy them at Walmart, you can probably return them if they don't fit. Once you find your size, ebay is your friend.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I went to a Hanes outlet store and had help getting measured. I was really nervous because i was in male mode but the lady there was very helpful and she told me to relax as she has seen it all I found out I am a 42 B

Quote Originally Posted by justmetoo View Post
    I always wondered about that, too; and have also heard to add 5 to your band size measurement in inches to get your "correct" band size. This article on wikihow says that is outdated (from the 1930's!). Looks like I should try a smaller size....
    It may be outdated, but if that's the way the particular manufacturer makes the bras, that's the method you should use. I measure between 39" and 40" under the boobs and I can say from trying that I cannot wear one of my wife's size 40 bras. I suppose I could get it on in the last set of hooks but I couldn't wear it all day and it be very uncomfortable.

There should be a better way of sizing but there isn't.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

For me it's what size do I want to be today. I can naturally fill a 38AAAAAAAAAAAA to the fullest or take the girls with me for 38C, nontheless, all depending on what is my mood. Bra sizing is a challenge especially when there are so many types to choose from. Go get fitted and enjoy the moment.

I started out with some 36A push ups I found at a Thrift shop. They fit alright an provided cleavage (see profile pic). I recently purchased 2 molded cup 38 A frm Sears and they have become quite comforrtable. As an older person my moobs can fill an A cup. I want to try a 40 A or 38/36 B just to experiment. There was a bra with new side panels I read about that I want to try too but I can't remember the name.

hugs rita

pS sorry the pic dosen't show that well.
    Last edited by rita63; 11-27-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: PS
    Dressing is not a choice.

Its a passion.

Thanks. So I could actually go to a store and get "fitted" with no extreme embarrassment. I'm very self conscious about being ridiculed.

Absolutly, if you are smaller than a 38 Victoria Secrets is a great place to start. If not the big box stores usually don't have a problem. Remeber, you will most likely need to initiate the conversation with the SA. Enjoy!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by psion128 View Post
    Thanks. So I could actually go to a store and get "fitted" with no extreme embarrassment. I'm very self conscious about being ridiculed.