Thread: MMORPGs and Crossdressing?

MMORPGs and Crossdressing?

Ok, for those cross gender lines in real life and who play MMORPGs, do you mostly play the opposite sex in online games as well? I'm just asking because I'm interested in seeing how people answer this. I'm split about 50/50 in my game characters, but I have a buddy (adopted brother you might say) who is definitely NOT a crossdresser who pretty much plays females exclusively.

I'm curious! It's just a fun question, and I'm not trying to start any holy wars or anything (no, I don't play WoW, but I did play EQ2 and now I pretty much play SWTOR exclusively).

~Melissa

I'm not sure the two are related really; although it would be very interesting to find out if they are!

Whenever I play MMORPGs (or a game that has character creation) I like to get a good mixture of characters there to mix it up a bit and keep it interesting.

But I would normally begin with a male character.

Well, it's not an MMORPG...but, games like Saints Row 3 are designed in such a way that it makes a lot of sense to me that a guy would play as a female character (regardless of his gender-expression preferences). You can basically run around in pasties and a g-string in that game with enormous boobs (boobs big enough that you might seriously worry about the character having back problems)...so, it makes sense to me that some people would prefer to watch a female character run around like that on the screen. I would know nothing about that though...*cough*

But, generally, I play both sexes. I play Borderlands a lot with my SO...we're pretty big fans...but, he always wants to play the Siren (female) character. The Siren as a character has pretty cool powers....but, I mean, I like variety. So, when the new game came out, I was really excited about this assassin character named "Zer0"...I thought the character build was so cool that I'd have to fight with my SO over who would play "him." But, luckily, my SO was just interested in playing the female build...so, I got to play the awesome assassin character with a Jedi sword. Win. I thought Zer0 was especially cool, because it was a character with no back story...Zer0 is also a kind of cyborg, so I'm not even really sure cyborgs have a biological sex. Either way, it seemed more important to me to have the awesome/powerful character...and, it seemed more important to my SO to play a character that was aesthetically appealing. (Though I am not hating on the Siren character...it's an okay character).

In other games, I usually take on non-human races...like Skyrim. My characters always look extremely frightening...but, my SO seems to like human female characters that aren't that bad to look at. I run around in a mask and cloak for 99% of the game...but, my SO will run around in armor that isn't really effective, but looks good...and, though the masks are powerful, they aren't pretty.

Another big difference is that I almost forget entirely that you can change outfits to something that is purely for aesthetic value in a game...like Fallout New Vegas, for example. My character wears a helmet and armor for 99% of the game. The only trouble I ever had was deciding between Power Armor and Recon Armor...it's like those were the only valid choices in the game. Then, one day, I saw my SO playing his character lol...and, his character was wearing "Naughty Nightwear"...it's basically just lingerie. And, he'd put on armor when he left town...but, once he was "safely" in town (jerks try to kill you anyway), he'd switch out to lingerie lol. And, I just could NOT understand why someone would carry that lingerie around with them in a game that has a maximum carry weight capacity. It just boggled my mind.

But, it's always funny to see what characters we make. And, we tend to be compatible in co-op games (like Borderlands), because I always want the assassin characters (regardless of looks) and my SO usually wants the girl. And, comparing the appearance of our characters in RPG games is pretty funny because my characters always look completely terrifying...and, they are usually masked if it proves beneficial. But, my SO will actually take the time to switch outfits up to look fresh...and, I sit there confused at how he could allow his character to wander around so vulnerably.
    Last edited by Shananigans; 11-26-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

All male toons here. I have tried female ones and ehh, just didn't feel right. Go figure.

mix and match, but yeah, I enjoy playing female characters, and not for the sole reason of watching her butt as she runs. Especially in WoW, I liked all the dresses and other pretty clothes she could get at special events and holidays, the guy clothes are kinda boring (sorta like in real life). I had a toon in DC Universe that was female, and looked really nice (DCU lets you have a costume that is always displayed regardless of what equipment you equip). In SWTOR my bounty hunter was male, but oh well.

I don't play games. I quit school because they had recess.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Yeah I will usually play as the girl and changing outfits is a big reason why I have enjoyed some games. Fable 2, 3, saints row, mass effect etc I love the outfit options in those games.

Cute and Southern Fried KerryLynn's Avatar
    I usually play a female character when I play, This comes not because I cross dress but because I would much rather watch a female character run around killing things than a male if I got my choice on it. Maybe its a subconscious thing but for me its what looks good.
    Kerry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Evil Monkey..... ooops wrong panties

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Well, it's not a MMORPG, but in Second Life, I have a female alt (alternate avatar). My main is nominally male, but I now have a female ("Amy") shape and wardrobe for that avatar to "crossdress" with as well.

As part of my gift to my fiancee for her birthday, I joined the MMORPG she and her friends ("Sissy" and "Bro," the two who know about Amy) have been playing for awhile, so we could have fun together in the game. It's kind of a kid's MMORPG, but she and her friends like it, and I'm learning as much as I can. And my character in that game is not only female, but is named "Amy." Playing her is fun...especially when I can do it while dressed as Amy, and talking with my fiancee and her friends on Skype, practicing my Amy-voice.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Me, female avatars 100%, why??? That is hard, it's fantasy, so in cyber I'm what I should be, not what I am.

Female avatars in all games and virtual worlds like second life (very few of my friends know I am not a GG - i enjoy having my gal pals to build with)

My avatars are female...but only in golf as hockey has not (NHL) given in to this.
    I am who I am...I am very happy with who I am! I am transgender! Time for others to deal with it or get out of my way!

I ALWAYS play female characters.

When I was playing FFXI I decided to choose to play a male character. (I'm a GG) granted I choose to be a Tarutaru, which are basically tiny cute child sized race of magic users. I choose a male character as it made me more invisible. I'm very introverted and quite shy when I'm on MMORPGS, and playing as a boy made most people over look me. My brother's character was a mithra (a women only race of cat people) I know he choose to play a woman as in his words "If I'm going to to be staring at someone's arse for hours on end it better be hawt!"

I played as her to level up some of his skills one day and people said some really awful stuff to me. I was glad to go back to being a boy. When I was on my character I never hid the fact I was girl if people asked me, and if we were talking on Skype or Ventrillo it was always fairly obvious, but being a boy really reduced the amount of harassment in general.

As for non-online games I usually play as a women. Skyrim, Fable, Fallout ect. I don't usually care about clothes in those games, but I will admit in Skyrim I went running around Riften desperately trying to find a dress, ANY DRESS to get married to Vilkas in, because I WASN'T getting married in mage robes and a creepy Dragon Priest Mask.

I know when I was playing Rock Band with my boyfriend we made an awesome girl duo. I love the costumes in that game and so did he!
    I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome!

Complete Geek and Girl gamer.

I haven't played any for a few years now (no time) but when I did I played exclusively as Cheryl...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Quote Originally Posted by almostalady View Post
    I don't play games. I quit school because they had recess.
    That is a brilliant quote.
    Likewise I do not play games because I use my computer for research, inventiveness, programming and other technical purposes.
    I do have other computers for film editing, television monitoring, music around the house and other networking exercises.
    I am not knocking games, whatever rows your boat. Me, I spend too much time writing graffiti on this site.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

In truth I can't play those games, they just make me angry. I like to watch others play them though. LOL thank you Bev!
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    but I will admit in Skyrim I went running around Riften desperately trying to find a dress, ANY DRESS to get married to Vilkas in, because I WASN'T getting married in mage robes and a creepy Dragon Priest Mask.
    Well, gah...now I feel bad for showing up to my wedding in arch mage robes and a dragon mask. In my defense, Aela had freaking paint on her face...so, she couldn't exactly complain. And, then, she took an arrow to the knee...and, one reload later, she was sentenced forever to making me pies and running a shop.

I will say that I really enjoy messing with the clothes of other c characters in games. Skyrim is a perfect example...steal the guard's armor, helmet, shield...replace with fancy clothes, fancy hat, and a Staff. My favorite follower is Cicero (he's actually really funny), and I always got a kick in equipping him in a fancy hat, fancy shoes, and a little unexpected Ebony armor before a fight. And, I can't tell you how entertained I was when I got the Jester's clothes and equipped them...and, then, rolled into dungeons with Cicero (who was also wearing a Jester outfit). I think when I make outfit changes in games, it usually ends up bizarre...so, I really enjoyed Saints Row 3 (even though they didn't really have any good clothing choices).

I also forgot that my SO and I actually did try out Second Life for about a week. It took us a few days to realize that we literally were just online shopping with avatars. I'm not sure we were doing it right, but there didn't seem like there was much else to do in Second Life...so, after about a week, it was back to the other games.

But, friends are trying to get us into WoW...I'm resistant. But, if I get into it, I'll probably make a female character. And, it's no question that my SO would make a female character. Literally...the only time I can recall that he has contemplated making a male character was for Fallout NV, so that he could do Caesar's Legion. We had discussed that OBVIOUSLY if you a play a female character, you have a tendency not to want to join the Legion...because, they turn all women into slaves. So, the only logical solution was to make a male character. Well, it was just too much for him...he ended up having to make a female character that would join the Legion. It's almost like you wouldn't want to join the Stormcloaks if you are an elf...and, his one elf character that actually played through that quest line in Skyrim fought for the Stormcloaks. Pure craziness. But, he's incredibly creative. My SO bought me Dishonored for Christmas and you play as a male...but, I was playing through the game kind of like I normally would...killing everything that moves. Then, my SO told me about an achievement if you beat the game without killing anyone...so, I am going to try that route for a while because I like sneaky characters. So, it's kind of cool...he thinks about doing things in video games that I wouldn't really consider...sometimes it's dressing up in lingerie and parading through Freeside of NV...and, other times, it's how to make an assassin character that doesn't kill everything in a game...or, my freedom to play the game how you want regardless of the intentions of the game (like insinuation that male characters should really only join the Legion, or that elves had to fight for the Imperials). Maybe the CDing sparks creativity...because, most of my character turn out VERY similar...and, his characters are different every time.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

It is important to realize virtual worlds like second life are not games (but they do have the tools to allow communities to form and create games - i spent many hours in wooden ship battles against Pirates in SL). I teach game design so i enjoy creating games and scripted game artifacts more than playing them.

Definitely depends on the game. When playing something like Halo online, I choose a male character. But on games like the sims, I enjoy making a female character. I also prefer games with a female lead like Tomb Raider or Metroid. I feel like game developers usually make female protagonists faster and more agile. I LOVED being Catwoman in Arkham City, but when given a creation selection, I tend to use the guy model more because I am worried of what friends and family, that I game with, would say.
    Done crying.

Its a mix for me. I go either way. But I prefer to play my female toons more.

with MMOs (or any game where you can choose your character's gender) i've *never* played as a male char... most times the male chars are uuuuuggllly... or just not really anything i'd want to play as, plus I usually play as a mage/wizard/cleric/mystic/etc.., and female chars just seem more suitable to magic.... (although it's kind of fun to equip w/ some melee weapons and cast spells at the same time )

Don't dream it, be it. SweetTransvestite's Avatar
    I always have for the sum of my life-even before I really started CDing. Just like female chars better, what can I say-heh.

My latest one is a female in DCUO (look me up if you play: AsiaShepard).

I'm usually playing both male and female characters, probably more females though. In Diablo 3 i have a female wizzard for example.
    But what i find realy funny is to dress male characters in women clothing. Not too many games allow that, but there is one game in particular where you can do this. I'm talking about Dead Rising 2. Here is an example :

s.jpg

Nice helmet, right?

Ofcourse, no NPC in the game seems to notice that i'm dressed in female clothing

Oh, and i forgot about Saints Row 3. Same thing there, made a male character with very feminine features and dressed him almost exclusively in sexy gowns and high heels. Talk about gaining respect in the gangster hood!
    Last edited by Noeda; 12-02-2012 at 08:30 AM.

I usually just play with myself.