Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FIFTEEN DAYS folks. Just for fun...?

What a fun and interesting thread. Me, I will take my chances that I will wake up on the 22nd, but just in case I will make sure that I am wearing a pretty nightgown so I can feel pretty for eternity. I am all for promoting the fact the heaven may have no vacancies if the world was to end; therefore, you better go now.

I thought for my part I would fly around and drop leaflets stating “heaven can’t wait till December 21st “.

Ahh hell with it, I'll bite since I'm very spiritual and have a view on it.

Yes I believe the world as we know it will end but not by some cataclysmic event wiping out most or all life. I also believe it won't be one single event of the 21st but maybe, just maybe a few big ones on or around that day.

The fact is from my opinion of course as it's been happening for years with things like the real estate bubble bursting and AIG almost going under. How many of you know how much of a world impact that would have been if AIG went under? Saving them only put a band-aid on an economic wound that needs stitches. It only delayed the inevitable which seems to be coming to a head here in the US with this Fiscal Cliff stuff.

Crazy stuff could happen in the next couple of weeks.

Iran getting closer or already had Nukes
    North Korea trying to test fire more missiles and pursuing nukes.
    Syria loaded chemical agents into their weapons
    Egypt rioting again
    Israel in the middle of all of it.
    Falling off the Fiscal Cliff and we all find out how bad it's really going to be, maybe protests start here in Washington, even riots.
    Another major natural disaster tossed in somewhere, there was another big earthquake a few days ago off of Japan again.

All these events that have been happening now and others that have been building for years all all opportunities for Humanity to change thus effectively ending the way of like as we have known it.

Now, could this galactic alignment cause something big? Who the hell knows but we have front row seats

Quote Originally Posted by Soriya View Post
    Ahh hell with it, I'll bite since I'm very spiritual and have a view on it.

Yes I believe the world as we know it will end but not by some cataclysmic event wiping out most or all life. I also believe it won't be one single event of the 21st but maybe, just maybe a few big ones on or around that day.

The fact is from my opinion of course as it's been happening for years with things like the real estate bubble bursting and AIG almost going under. How many of you know how much of a world impact that would have been if AIG went under? Saving them only put a band-aid on an economic wound that needs stitches. It only delayed the inevitable which seems to be coming to a head here in the US with this Fiscal Cliff stuff.

Crazy stuff could happen in the next couple of weeks.

Iran getting closer or already had Nukes
    North Korea trying to test fire more missiles and pursuing nukes.
    Syria loaded chemical agents into their weapons
    Egypt rioting again
    Israel in the middle of all of it.
    Falling off the Fiscal Cliff and we all find out how bad it's really going to be, maybe protests start here in Washington, even riots.
    Another major natural disaster tossed in somewhere, there was another big earthquake a few days ago off of Japan again.

All these events that have been happening now and others that have been building for years all all opportunities for Humanity to change thus effectively ending the way of like as we have known it.

Now, could this galactic alignment cause something big? Who the hell knows but we have front row seats
    All of that is true, but also probably coincidental. Not to belittle the myriad crises we face-I often feel that we face insurmountably complex problems- but we have been in dire straights before as a species and as a planet. I only worry that people will take this as an opportunity to turn this "prophecy" (of which there is no explicit prophecy for TEOTWAWKI that I'm aware of) into a self-fulfilling doomsday.

-take an umbrella.

In a strange way, it's comforting to think that there will be an Armageddon and we're all going to die together. No loose ends, no one mourning, no way for us to ruin our good names posthumously.

For the record: Zombies, divine interventions, mass-awakenings, aliens- They're really all the same meme, in that the problems seem too big for us to overcome on our own so we look for a miracle from a 1000 different directions. Maybe once we realize that no one is coming, we will begin to fix our own problems. That being said, I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I know all the mysteries of the universe. Of the list I just laid out, the most likely in my mind is aliens.

There's also "The Great Shift" I am ashamed to admit that I've read about on other sites. Though, I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously, and it was never my favorite plot line. How neat would that be, though, eh?
    Last edited by May(be); 12-09-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duana View Post
    Where did you get that idea? With the past 5 years, 2 dinosaur killers have buzzed within the moon's distance from earth and both were spotted AFTER they passed.
    The area of the region inside of the moon's orbit is 4.7E11 square kilometers. The cross-sectional area of the Earth is 1.3E8 square kilometers. That means that approximately one in 3600 objects that fall within one moon radius of the earth will actually hit the earth.

That means that we should expect to be hit by one of those "dinosaur killers" every 9000 years, assuming that your figures are right. It isn't exactly raining giant rocks!

An interesting book about such an event is "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Thought provoking stuff for those who think that a post-apocalyptic society will mean everyone just heads into the countryside and starts a subsistence farm!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Smith View Post
    The world will not end on 12/21/2012. I have a nail appointment the next day, and no force in heaven or earth is sufficient to make me miss one of those.
    I like your way of thinking!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Seriously? The human race won't go out with a bang. More like a slow gasp.

We seem determined to keep reproducing at an astounding rate. Consuming everything on earth. Like locusts. Until we, and every other highly evolved species, r gone. As we pollute the atmosphere, land, and seas at an accelerating rate. The Mayans weren't rite, but Malthus probably was!

The planet will survive, tho. Mark my words, the age of beetles, ants, and bugs is coming!

If you're religious, u mite consider becoming Hindu or something similar. Then, maybe in your next life you'll come back as a LADYBUG! Ha ha!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 12-09-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

The Mayans did not account for Leap Year, which has happened 107 times since its advent in 1582. By this logic the "Mayan's" 12/21/2012 would have occurred on September 5th of this year. We are all going to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Frances View Post
    The Mayans did not account for Leap Year, which has happened 107 times since its advent in 1582. By this logic the "Mayan's" 12/21/2012 would have occurred on September 5th of this year. We are all going to be ok.
    The Mayan Long Count doesn't correspond to the solar year, so there is no need for leap year.

Oh, and I believe that there have only been 104 leap years since 1582. Years divisible by 100 but not divisable by 400 are not leap years so 1700, 1800, and 1900 weren't leap years.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

you are correct!

Banned Read only
    Well, WHEN the "next large thing" hits the earth, [and it will eventually], we are not all going to die immediately anyway. Might that get some folks outa their closets? - IF something hits and Scientists all agree that within 6 months to a year, all Humans will die?

Or would some people claim that the scientists are just trying to scare us?

Quote Originally Posted by ambigendrous View Post
    I think it would be hilarious if all the power companies across the country were to get together and decide to shut down all power generation for 10 minutes at exactly 5:00 pm EST on 12/21/2012 - can you imagine the insanity that would ensue?
    Yup. That's just what Enron would have done, and then made a killing off the panic.