Thread: A couple of things: the next generation and a hobby

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar

A couple of things: the next generation and a hobby

I haven't been here in a while because, well, the urge to dress had left for a month or two. But it's coming back.

A couple of interesting things happened recently:

I had the opportunity to attend a kid's birthday party last week and noticed one of the boys wearing Uggs. So, I ask his dad (a good friend of mine) about it and he says that he wears them all the time everywhere. Then, he turns to his son and says to show me his feet. He takes off his Uggs and shows me his painted toenails.

I was blown away because I had had a conversation with this kid's dad over a year ago where he said he could not understand how a crossdresser could not be gay.

Anyway, I think the next generation of crossdressers will have things a lot easier than mine did. One of my other friends (about 15 years younger than me) told me he wore skirts in high school and college.

OK...so about the hobby thing. Last night, I am sitting around bore while my wife was doing some work so I told her I was going to the bar down the street for a drink. She said that I needed to find a hobby.

I would love for crossdessing to be my hobby (she has been supportive since I came out to her). But there is the fact that she is uncomfortable with me shaving my legs or wearing a wig. And she hates it when I talk about shaving my goatee. And we haven't even talked about makeup.

I would love to see how I look completely as a woman. I would like that to be my hobby.

So, now I have put this out there and I don't even know what to expect from it. Guess I just had to get it off my chest.

Platinum Member
    Now that you've told us, begin to plan how you will tell your wife...it's a much better hobby than drinking with the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Now that you've told us, begin to plan how you will tell your wife...it's a much better hobby than drinking with the boys.
    And if the boys drink like the guys I hang out with, it's cheaper.

A friend of my wife's has a six year old son who wears a princess dress at home. He kicks up a fuss at school time, and is told he has to take it off. Luckily, the parents are completely cool with it. They figure it will either wear off by itself, or continue into adulthood (hopefully not the princess dress). Either way he is their son, and they will love him unconditionally. The world needs more parents like that.-Celeste

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    I pray you all are right about the next generation. I have no idea how my generation did, since I did not start until 15 months ago (66 yrs) but i can read, and it is not pretty.

As for your hobby. Perhaps you can work a long term project with your wife where you try shaving, makeup, wigs, etc. for a limited time with a guarantee that if she is still weirded out, you will return to present status. This puts a real burden on you to have the strength to go back, actually, the burden is really a living hell, so I know it would never work, but it is a hopeful thought.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I feel that increased openmindedness really began with Gen-Y and later, due to vastly increased availability of information about pretty much everything, efforts of equal-rights campaigns by LGBT groups and individuals, and influence of anime/Jpop/Kpop/video games/memes/etc... As one doesn't have to be a super raging hulk in modern society to do what needs to be done, so gender roles, and physical requirements are relaxing (about time too :P tired of being told that "a man needs to do X, while a woman is supposed to make him sandwiches... I wanted to make my *OWN* sandwiches, dangit!!! )

I would dress with the restrictions your wife has set.
    Let her see how she could improve your appearance.
    Don't be extreme but do things gradually so as she becomes acquainted with your new attire.
    Hopefully the goatee goes and the rest may follow later.
    It will take more than twelve months but I think it would work.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

When I got my wife to let me wear a skirt thing just kind of fell together and I have it all. Now it could just get her to let me savve the mustache.Some times you just can;t have it 100%.Well maybe someday.
    Angie

1) I work in a field where we're in contact with the Gen-Y's and younger. For the most part they could care less what anyone wears. Or if they're bi, trans, gay or a lesbian it simply is no big deal. It's pretty refreshing and reassuring to know that they won't have to go through what we have.

2) I had a mustache for 25 years and one day I just shaved it off it was the best thing I ever did. If I know I won't be dressing for a few weeks I let it grow back or maybe sometimes a soul patch. But I love being able to dress and go out in public

margo

Quote Originally Posted by xcdmargo View Post
    1) I work in a field where we're in contact with the Gen-Y's and younger. For the most part they could care less what anyone wears. Or if they're bi, trans, gay or a lesbian it simply is no big deal. It's pretty refreshing and reassuring to know that they won't have to go through what we have.
    I have worked with a temp girl since summer who wasnt even born ^^; when I started with the company. I showed her some pix of me in my fun clothes and blonde wig, and she's like "ehh..you look happy." and that was that. not a big deal, a drama shock, or a ticket to h#ll...just a part of life. Gives me hope for the future
    Last edited by Eryn; 12-09-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I would dress with the restrictions your wife has set.
    Let her see how she could improve your appearance.
    Don't be extreme but do things gradually so as she becomes acquainted with your new attire.
    Hopefully the goatee goes and the rest may follow later.
    It will take more than twelve months but I think it would work.
    This seems like the right way to go for me. However, I will point out that I came out to her a little over to years ago. As it currenty stands, I have not dressed in front of her for a few months...mostly because I have not felt the urge to dress. However, a I mentioned earlier, the urge seems to be creeping back. I think I am going to broach the subject of the leg shaving first. I already told her I am getting a pedi with polish, something I only did two years ago after I told her about my dressing. I will keep everyone posted if there is any interest.
    Last edited by Marie-Elise; 12-10-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Changed "every" to "everyone".

I tried a younger generation experiment yesterday. I have a dress that I really like, but it's a little tight in the middle. I saw online that F.O.H. had a sexy waist cincher, and that they had a store here where I'm staying in Kansas. Very conservative area.

I had a cover story ready, but when I walked into the store I met a pretty young SA about my kid's age. Maybe 19 or so. My kids each have someone(s) they know who is TS, or curious, and it seems not to be a big deal.

I told her I needed a waist cincher because I would be squeezing my man body into a pretty dress and heels this weekend, and she never batted an eyelash. She showed me to the rack, recommended a size, and even went back into the stock room to see if they had my size in nude. While checking out, we chatted about the work I was doing here, and whether I'd make it home for Christmas. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle M View Post
    I tried a younger generation experiment yesterday. I have a dress that I really like, but it's a little tight in the middle. I saw online that F.O.H. had a sexy waist cincher, and that they had a store here where I'm staying in Kansas. Very conservative area.

I had a cover story ready, but when I walked into the store I met a pretty young SA about my kid's age. Maybe 19 or so. My kids each have someone(s) they know who is TS, or curious, and it seems not to be a big deal.

I told her I needed a waist cincher because I would be squeezing my man body into a pretty dress and heels this weekend, and she never batted an eyelash. She showed me to the rack, recommended a size, and even went back into the stock room to see if they had my size in nude. While checking out, we chatted about the work I was doing here, and whether I'd make it home for Christmas. No big deal.
    And that is the way it should be. I wish I was 20 years younger.

But, really, I think that generation has it together.