Thread: My good news

My good news

I just read Chelsea's post with sadness and Chelsea I hope you can find a better path, for both you and your wife. Chelsea's post prompted me to write about how I solved an issue with my wife that recently threatened our relationship.

When I first joined this forum several months ago I posted that my wife of 37 years knew from the start about my dressing and while she was not totally accepting, she was very tolerant. I kept my dressing to the house when it was only the two of us and to our bedroom if we were not alone. This worked up until last month.

I was "retired" last May and my current situation has given me more than enough time to think about the rest of my life and I have decided I wanted to take my dressing to another level. I want to be with other girls in the area, to share our common experiences and simply be friends.

When I approached my wife with my new desires she became unglued and we had one of our worst arguments ever, and it nearly resulted in the two of us splitting.

She was concerned about privacy and how it would embarrass her to have me be seen dressed and besides, 37 years ago I told her I wouldn't ever go out of the house dressed. I told her that was 37 years ago and things change, for both of us.

When the atmosphere finally settled she asked me to see a therapist and I found a very experienced individual locally and started to see her. I told the therapist part of my goal was for her to be able to sit with my wife, one to one, and sort of act as a mediator, or at least act as a filter for my wife's and my concerns. The therapist was somewhat reluctant to do so, but relented and met with my wife just before the holidays.

The therapist was taking time off at the end of the year and Monday was the first time she could see me. We had a good conversation and I discovered the main issue my wife had was she couldn't imagine me leaving the house dressed in front of our adult children (who do not know) and our neighbors, and ultimately having her employer discover my dressing. That would be a boundary that couldn't be crossed.

When I returned home and we had a chance to talk (civilly). I told her I wanted to be able to be dressed, not necessarily at home and not when leaving home, but when I was in the midst of whatever group I wanted to join. I also told her I wanted to be able to go to a place like Carla's in San Jose and simply spend the afternoon or evening dressed while I worked on some computer related project or simply chatted with the other girls that may be there.

She asked me how would I get to these events and I said I would probably rent a hotel/motel room to dress in, attend the event and then return to the room to clean up and get back into drab mode. In Carla's case, Aejaie has a locker room for girls like us to use while we are at her facility.

Once I explained to my wife that I did not want to embarrass her, that I wanted to remain as anonymous as possible. That I wanted to be involved with the local girls because I needed to have friends, she started to understand; to understand that I did not want to be a threat to her.

She became curious as to what groups I was interested in and I told her I have joined, on line, with the River City Gems in Sacramento, and the Diablo Valley Girls in Walnut Creek. I even mentioned that the RCG group was having an event this Friday and that it would be in a private home. I told her this would be the type of event I would like to attend and my wife suggested I should go. (I will, but in drab this first time!) I told my wife that I had previously attended a "Drab Gab" in Sacramento.

I guess what I am trying to say is that communication is key. I almost lost my love because I did not explain what was happening in my life, and my wife heard something very threatening to her and neither of us took the time or had the skills to sit down and understand each other.

So, I have my wife and best friend back, I am able to explore "Miki" with my wife's understanding and acceptance. My experience is my experience and I am not sure I can offer any good advice to Chelsea and other girls here that are not as lucky as I am. I also don't want to have to explain to some of the girls here that I am willing to compromise with my wife and not to demand total acceptance.

Every relationship with a wife or SO is different and the needs of each partner are different. While what we do, dress, may be perfectly normal for us, it is not always so for our partners. Knowing how to give and when to take needs skill and time.

And this is my good news!
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Good for you and your wife. Your outcome was made possible by approaching the problem in a grown-upm responsible manner.

The first time I read the post, however, I was concerned with this:

Quote Originally Posted by mikiarata View Post
    I told the therapist part of my goal was for her to be able to sit with my wife, one to one, and sort of act as a mediator, or at least act as a filter for my wife's and my concerns.
    It sounded to me, at first anyway, like you wanted your therapist to be your advocate, using her position for credibility and defending your side. I'm glad it wasn't the case, as it turned out.
    I'm one of those guys who thought crossdressing desires would go away after marriage, when desires for her would replace the CD drive. When my wife discovered some evidence and I came clean with her, she wanted us to go to counseling, which I agreed to. The problem was, she wanted the counseling to "cure" me, and I wanted the counseling to lead her to acceptance. Since both outcomes weren't possible (because we entered counseling as a couple but without a unified goal, like saving the marriage), we ended up divorcing, unable to resolve the conflict.
    So I'm sensitive and this comment raised a red flag for me.

I probably used the wrong term when I used mediator. I asked the therapist to meet with my wife and to answer any question my wife had - including what my therapist and I had discussed in session with the exception of one issue not related to my dressing.

I made it clear to my wife that the therapist was my therapist and that I had asked the therapist to answer my wife's questions, without any judgement thrown into the conversation.

My wife and I didn't have the conflict you and your wife had. My wife knew the dressing was part of me and didn't need a cure; she simply wanted boundaries and neither of us had an idea of what the other wanted. We have mended the fences. so to speak and we can know get on with our lives together. I asked her if she would like to attend some of the functions either of the NorCal groups might have in the future and her response was very quick "yes".
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Thanks for sharing your story. It made total sense to me, since communication seems so easy and yet is so hard, especially about very sensitive topics that may push one or the other's hot button. I clearly understood what you wanted from the therapist and can even understand that maybe in the end they would have been advocating for one or the other. In your case and based on all that I have learned about this lifestyle from reading here over the last 6 years it is that what we do is not bad, just not common and is easily misunderstood. So, thinking openly or overtly that the therapist may become a type of advocate is logical and in my opinion correct. Sometimes one party really does not get it and needs help to better understand the situation. Whether a couples therapist advertises that or not, mediation is one of their strong suits, though they need to know the full story before stepping in to that role.

As for getting out, I think you have some great plans. I have been to Carla's a couple of times and to the DVG meet ups in Walnut Creek and the River City Gems in Sacramento. All great support groups and safe places to be yourself. One tip for getting out of the house unnoticed and yet not totally depend on some other place to provide that safe haven for dressing away from home, is to partially dress at home and then finish up on the road. I have done that many times in total safety when my son was living at home and even now when I leave the house during daylight hours. I find a quiet parking lot like a BART station, or shopping center and put on my wig and lipstick and earrings while keeping an eye out so as not to shock someone walking by.

I wasn't trying to be critical, but I just wanted to explain my initial reaction, based on my experience. You had a good outcome because you a good process of resolving your differences.

My wife and I agreed on a clean, no-fight divorce, and went to a divorce lawyer, who quickly told us that he could represent only one of us. As it should be.
    But when my [new] wife and I bought a house, we made an offer, and the appraisal came in under the offer. MY real estate guy suggested we get another appraisal "to get the value up". I asked "is that the right way to respresent your client (me), or are you just interested making the deal work so you can get a commission, at my expense? Who are you representing?"
    Hence my sensitivity to possible conflicts of interests.

Allie, thank you for your nice comments. I really like Aejaie at Carla's and in fact have booked a private makeover session with her on the 21st. I'll post the images!

Nicole I didn't take your comment as critical and like I said above, I coulda/shoulda used a different opening description. My error!

Changing gears, I am a real estate broker, but I only dealt in mega Dollar land deals. But I did a re-finance a couple of years ago. The appraisal came in just $10,000 more than was required to meet the LTV. The appraisal was for $860,000 for a 2,500 sf home fully upgraded 10 years ago. We closed on the loan and everyone was happy. My neighbor across the street also re-financed about 6 months after I did and while his house is "only" 1,750 sf, the appraisal came in at $910,000.

So, I have no problem "shopping" the appraisal. It is always up to you to accept the asking price and also it is up to the lender to accept the value. If you are concerned about the Realtor just trying to earned his commission (he is), then ask the Realtor to pay for the subsequent appraisal. At least this way the Realtor has some actual skin in the game. If he is not willing to pay for the appraisal then he knows the first one is a reasonable appraisal.

I find it amazing that you were willing to constrain your desire to dress for so many years! And equally amazing that your wife would hold you to it,37 years later...wow! Glad to see you may finally get out and enjoy yourself! Chelsea was told to "curb her enthusiasm" early on by some of us.Some of us are TS and do our best to keep our family life together by being accepted at home,completely.I contend that it is far better to temper your conveyance of your "Tminded" desires so as to not shock the system to death.Unless there is acceptance by the immediate family and comfort levels to match,there is little hope any marriage and family will survive the situation as Chelsea said she handled it.An entire family has to make room for the "New Girl",and embrace her for it to work out. When someone isn't out to their kids,then it will never work.My opinion for sure,but Chelsea's isn't the only trainwreck on here lately.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Platinum Member
    Very good news, Miki. Congratulations to both of you for working things out!

Glad you two got things worked out, my wife is still my best friend as well as a good wife I would not make it without her.

Quote Originally Posted by rogina garter View Post
    I find it amazing that you were willing to constrain your desire to dress for so many years!
    Rogina, I dressed during the first 37 years, but only privately. I seldom dressed completely with my wife present, but when I did she was generally cool with it, and helping sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by rogina garter View Post
    ...but Chelsea's isn't the only trainwreck on here lately.
    I am not transitioning nor want to so I find it difficult to relate to Chelsea and her desires. The best I can do is offer her hope and best wishes. I do find the "politics of gender" here sometimes grating, but that is to be expected when the entire spectrum of gender is present. It is difficult at times to sift through the noise, but if we take our time we can usually end up with some understanding, even if it is contrary to our bias.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Very good news, Miki. Congratulations to both of you for working things out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi Anne View Post
    Glad you two got things worked out, my wife is still my best friend as well as a good wife I would not make it without her.
    Thanks Kim and Jodi. I too am glad we worked it out since she has been my friend and lover for so long it would have been devastating to have lost her.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 01-09-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: posts merged

I'm also delighted for you, mikiarata.
    Your good news has certainly done me a lot of good.
    Best wishes to you and your wife - may you and your wife continue to appreciate and enjoy each other (and life) to the full!
    Gaby
    [SIZE="1"]When Irish Eyes Are Smiling... In the lilt of Irish laughter... When Irish hearts are happy... And When Irish Eyes Are Smiling... [/SIZE]

I am pleased it is working for you and both of you should keep working at it.
    You have a wonderful future together....
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    That is good news that you and your wife have made a compromise that is working. One of the things that helped my wife was going to our crossdresser group's Christmas party. When I initially told her about it, I mentioned that a lot of SO's go to some of these events and it would give her a better understanding of us. It took her several weeks to finally decide, but she went. I told her before hand, if she wanted to leave, we would leave when she wanted to. Anyway several days after the party, she came up to me and gave me a hug. She said that she had a good time and enjoyed the party.
    Dana Ryan

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

I wanted to say something positive after reading of Chelsea's travails. If my experience, and how my wife and I worked it out, relates to anyone else's experience and something good can be taken away - that will be great.

I would be foolish to believe that every situation can be resolved positively for everyone involved. But nothing can be done if the issue is left to fester to the point of no return.

Miki