Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I Burned all my Clothes"

"I Burned all my Clothes"

Made you look, didn't I.

Seriously, from time to time I'll read a post where someone says they have quit crossdressing and burned all their female clothes. Other times, it's in the response: "I tried to quit and burned all my female clothes, but the urge came back and I bought new ones."

My question is, why would someone burn their female clothes? Why not donate them to a wife or girlfriend? Why not donate them to charity? Even just throw them in the trash?

In my case, if I wanted to get rid of my female things, putting them in a few bags and driving to the Goodwill store a couple miles away would be far simpler than building a fire in the yard and piling my clothes on it. And I could claim a tax deduction.

I'm not planning on doing either, but I'm just wondering why other people would burn their clothes instead of donating them or throwing them away.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

It was firework night? [A British thing I think] or it was a sort of almost religious purging of the soul, or to just keep warm, or ‘I’m not wearing them anymore so why should anyone else’ or they are a bit of a drama queen, or to find out if the labels that said fireproof were true, or…….

And yes Linda, you did make me look.

hugs

Suzy, do you mean "Guy Fawks day"? Is that really celebrated?.
    Stephanie

I think it is a symbolic thing to try to prove to themselves that this is gone forever. It is an internal struggle that comes from refusal to accept what is. I can understand how difficult it is to accept that you are different. Growing up I was often treated poorly because I was less of a masculine person than the other boys so it was not quite as difficult to finally accept that I was different, but some people have a very hard time admitting that this is a part of them.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I suppose burning could also make some toxic gasses and particles, depending on the materials, not healthy for the one doing the burning or the rest of the world.
    Donating, selling, recycling or appropriately disposing would indeed be better.

I would venture to say such an act would be symbolic of a purification even if they later return to doing it. It probably seemed like the right thing to do at the time. In any case, it's their clothes, right?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Linda...I have never burned my purge. However years and years ago when I was dating a cute southern baptist girl and she said "this isn't want God wants you to do" she encouraged me to dispose of all my stuff as far away from home as possible. Her reasoning was then I wouldn't be tempted to go back and get it...LOL she had no idea how strong or pre wired this really is. So I loaded up my stuff, went to the closed amusement park threw my box in the dumpster and drove off. I made it back home and she was still there and furious as ever. We fought and argued back and forth for awhile. She left and went home...I left my apartment for a drive and what did I do...went back to the amusement park and picked my stuff back up. I got easier for a while with her thinking I had thrown everything away. But I just put it away for a bit. When we were intimate, before it was time to undress I'd excuse myself and go to the bathroom and change so she wouldn't see my panties. After a while she was on to me and her dislike and hatered of my dressing resurfaced. We ended up getting engaged but during a time where I was hiding it. However we broke it off after a few months. She hated me...there was another girl I worked with that was looking for my affections however it turned into an awful mess all the way around. The one thing I had through it all was my family to support me and my clothes. Years later the guy she had left or dumped me for cheated on her and they divorced. We reconnected on Facebook and are friends. People grow up, change and usually become more accepting.

Back to why burn...that way you can't go back...LOL however they haven't stopped making clothes so that whole premis is silly to think about or entertain. Anyway....

Having never purged, I cannot relate to that phenomenon. However, you are spot-on Linda in that there are so many people in need, it just doesn't make sense to destroy perfectly good stuff.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Platinum Member
    Good point Linda. It would be silly to burn the clothes, as though the act of destroying them would exorcise some inner demon. Folks, if you feel the need to purge, consider the option of putting it all in a suitcase (or in my case a half dozen!) in the attic. If you can't bear the temptation, take everything to Goodwill or some other clothing reseller. At least someone will have a few new things to enjoy!

Here's another choice for getting rid of your "surplus" clothes...... Donate them to a THEATER!!!! I have a handful of suits, remnants of my "career" years.... and - just yesterday - decided to see if our local (amateur) theater could use them in their "wardrobe".... The wardrobe guy was ecstatic to hear of them... so, I'm on my way over there, shortly, with 5 suits and some slacks, shoes, and a terrific overcoat.....

I tend to agree burning is wasteful. When I prune the excess is donated.

Probably as the religious rite of progress.
    Getting rid of pent up hostility.
    Get rid of the anger with the world by "destroying everything".
    For anybody about to give up this lifestyle, put the clothes in a bag with mothballs and store them away till temptation or the healing of time uncovers them again.
    If you have lost interest and a lot of time has passed, maybe you have children and they could have them as dress up clothes.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    Its kinda fun to donate your 'dont fit' things to a thrift store, and see it hanging proud and free the next time your in there shopping.
    Even better is when you out and about and you see your dress our top go walking by on a GG (or was that a CD). :-0
    I hate to waste anything so burning good clothes is out of the question.
    Merry Christmas
    Bobbi
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

Quote Originally Posted by stephNE View Post
    Suzy, do you mean "Guy Fawks day"? Is that really celebrated?.
    Hi Steph, Not Suzy, but I felt moved to respond...

Not so much 'day' as Guy Fawkes night - but we don't call it that. Up in the North where I am from we call it Bonfire Night. You spend weeks building a big pile of stuff to burn, buy lots of fireworks, then on the day (Nov 5th) you wait until it's dark, light the bonfire and set off all the fireworks (though not all at once!).

There are also certain traditions regarding food and things like that, and the night before used to be a trick or treat sort of night for the kids. That is until Halloween took over as the 'de rigour' date for kids to acquire bucket loads of sweets from the neighbourhood free of charge!

And yes bonfires include burning anything you want to... well burn. Kids used to make a big figure of 'Guy' using old clothes and this took pride of place on top of the fire. In the weeks preceding the fire kids would parade their 'Guys' and people would give them money based on their rating of the ingenuity and creative flair of the kids... and if they didn't, you intimidated them until they did!

Anyway.. mustn't derail the thread...

Purging is just plain not good and yes I have done it! I didn't burn my clothes, but I did 'bin' them in disgust. The feeling was rather cathartic at the time so I suspect the act of burning the clothes is largely symbolic - burning bridges may be an appropriate analogy?
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

I think in many cases they know deep down that if given to a friend or local charity they will probably try to buy/get it back.

Just to add to Kazs' answer, Guy Fawkes did exist and we celebrate Guy Fawkes night due to his "gunpowder plot". On 5 Nov 1605 he stacked loads of gunpowder under the houses of parliament with the plan of killing the king and parliament. Who wouldn't celebrate someone who decided to do something about the useless **** we have in there? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Beth Wilde View Post
    Just to add to Kazs' answer, Guy Fawkes did exist and we celebrate Guy Fawkes night due to his "gunpowder plot". On 5 Nov 1605 he stacked loads of gunpowder under the houses of parliament with the plan of killing the king and parliament. Who wouldn't celebrate someone who decided to do something about the useless **** we have in there? lol
    What can I say? Purging on a grand scale! But politics aside, as this will get the thread 'disparue'd'... we don't do politics here!

I am considering 'sensible purging' - no, don't mock! This is working out what you will not miss and getting rid in order to 'feed the demon', but you still get to keep what matters!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Banned Read only
    For years I used to do that very thing; well, I didn't burn them, I just threw them in the trash; as I matured--and still thought I could walk away, I gave them to Goodwill; now, like some have suggested, I donate what I can't use or just don't care for anymore. I did give a wig to a friend once who was losing her hair due to cancer treatment; she has no idea it was mine, but she got to enjoy it anyway.

Hi Linda,
    You got me too. I did indeed look! Your idea on charity donations of clothes is a good one. Burning them serves no useful purpose.
    Di

I burned my stash in the early 90's and it was better than donating them because the stores that sold stuff to fit a big girl like me were so UGLY that they needed to be burned.

I wouldn't have helped anybody in society if I had donated them and someone else wore them.

They looked like the dresses women wear on the religious farm colonies.

If I burned the wardrobe now it'd take a few days for it to go out.... In my past though I do remember randomly thowing 'her' stuff from the window of my car... kindof like the burn thing so that I'd not have a chance to go back for it.... For now, the wardrobe is worth a few grand and if I purge again, I'm going to the *bay store or might even donate... That's where I size purge nowadays..

Renne......

Probably because burning is very visual and representative of actually purging something

Platinum Member
    Maybe the person who burns all of his feminine attire has a biblical slant or parody on it, "Then the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and false prophet were...."

Quote Originally Posted by Launa View Post
    I burned my stash in the early 90's and it was better than donating them because the stores that sold stuff to fit a big girl like me were so UGLY that they needed to be burned.

I wouldn't have helped anybody in society if I had donated them and someone else wore them.

They looked like the dresses women wear on the religious farm colonies.
    Somebody, somewhere is bad enough off that any clothing that fits would be a blessing.

Thanks for the responses everybody. Please, donate your unwanted clothing to charity. Besides Goodwill and other resale stores, many groups distribute clothing for free to needy people. In some cases, the clothing allows them to get a job and become productive citizens again.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I have done both, Throw them out in the trash on trash pickup day (so I couldn't grab them up again), and taken them to clothing drop boxes. I have never burned them though. I agree with Jessica and the others that it may be the symbolism behind it. Never works but a good try.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!